Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2019, 13:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto

First DIY on my car, installed CC stalk from Alfa 147. Bought this CC stalk few months back from ebay UK, it was shipped and delivered in 15 days. Rest of the stuff was from Aliexpress/local stores. ECU connector pins from rsdelivers website. You can find all links on Wildy's post (DIY: Cruise Control installation on my Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura) on the same. His thread was really helpful. Also referred to Rajan sirs thread here (DIY: Cruise Control for the Fiat Linea).

You will need following.
1. Ebay UK - Alfa 147 CC stalk
DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-1.jpg

2. Aliexpress - 4 pin connector - i have used two pairs of them, you might need more/less depending upon how you do the wiring.
Name:  15.png
Views: 8706
Size:  292.4 KB

3. Aliexpress - 1 pin connector - I have used 2 pairs of them, again you might need more/less depending upon the wiring.
Name:  14.png
Views: 8649
Size:  262.6 KB

RSDelivers - EQS Pin for ECU - You will need 4 pins.
Name:  16.png
Views: 8610
Size:  81.9 KB

3. PVC wire 22-24AWG - 3 meters x 5, if you can get in 5 different colors it would be helpful in wiring.
I had ordered wires also from Aliexpress but it was silicon one and too soft. Later bought some PVC wires from nearby electronics store along with below stuff.

4. Rubber sleeve - 3 meters
5. Corrugated pipe - 3 meters
6. Automotive tape

I have covered all the wires with rubber sleeve then wrapped with tape, for engine bay wire i have added corrugate pipe on top and wrapped with some more tape.

Connection diagram
Name:  55.png
Views: 9606
Size:  45.2 KB

I will add some pics of the installation. The installation is covered in complete detail in the thread links i have posted above.

Ready for mounting, this is small plastic panel from steering wheel shroud where CC stall will be installed.
DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-2.jpg

Removed the mount from the CC, this can not used on Punto stalk column.
DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-3.jpg

Drilling hole for wires
DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-5.jpg

Drilling holes for mounting the stalk
DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-6.jpg

This is how it looks after mounting the stalk.
DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-4.jpg

After installing the connectors and tape.
DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-7.jpg

After mounting the plastic shroud back in the steering column
DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-13.jpg
DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-9.jpg

Interior wiring, this cable was used to connect the cable from ECU to CC stalk and fuse tap to CC stalk.
DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-8.jpg

Connectors on the steering column, this is where CC stalk was plugged in.
DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-12.jpg

Engine bay wiring, i didnt took much pics of this work, as i struggled a lot with the ECU pins and moving the wiring through firewall.

Pins on the ECU
DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-43.jpg

After installing the wires and fixing back the connector
DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-41.jpg

Wiring
DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-40.jpg
DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-42.jpg

Installing the ECU pins was difficult because the wire i had used was very soft and i was not able to push them in, they are seated properly and i can't pull them out but the secondary lock is not sliding inside(purple tab in below image) Need to figure this out.
DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-17.jpg

i have routed the wire from engine bay to interior through the firewall. There is a hole for bonnet release wire, as its small hole with rubber gasket it was really tough to pass these 4 wires with sleeve installed. As the hole is further below the wiper mount, even access to that place is limited, you can just feel the rubber gasket with your fingers. Somehow with a lot of effort i managed to fit a metal wire in that hole and then tie the wires in that metal wire and pull from other side.

Now only thing left was to enable CC in ECU, body module and dashboard module. That was another challenge, will explain in next post.

Last edited by Eddy : 26th March 2019 at 13:23.
Rahulkool is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 13:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 25,000kms done, cruise control installation on page 5!

For enabling the CC in various modules needs a Multiscan software and ELM 327 obd reader.

I had one bluetooth obd reader which i had bought from amazon long back.
Name:  IMG_4147.PNG
Views: 8282
Size:  875.7 KB

This one didnt worked and gave below error.
DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-61.jpg

Then i bought wifi OBD scanner from amazon.
Name:  IMG_4146.PNG
Views: 8244
Size:  691.0 KB

This one lets me connects to the ECU but when i try to connect to BCM i get error.
DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-62.jpg

Wasted at least 3-4 days in all this, after doing everything.

Finally borrowed wifi/USB obd scanner from a friend, this one worked just fine, phew!
DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-img_4266.jpg

You need to enable CC in the dashboard
Fiat/Idea 1.4 16V/Dashboard/Instrument panel Marelli(modal)
Click on connect and select actuators
DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-63.jpg

Then enable CC in BCM
Fiat/Idea 1.4 16V/Body/Can setup
Click on connect and enable CC, then click on execute, then you have to select proxy alignment and click on execute.
DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-64.jpg
DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-65.jpg

Switch off the ignition, wait for few secs and switch on and you can see green CC light on the speedo meter.

DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-11.jpg
DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-10.jpg
Rahulkool is online now   (29) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 14:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Palio 1.6 to the Fiat Abarth Punto. EDIT: 25,000kms done, cruise control installation on page 5!

A huge effort there , please share a video of this in action
bottle is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 15:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
For enabling the CC in various modules needs a Multiscan software and ELM 327 obd reader.
Thanks for writing it up. I have the stalk and the wires. Waiting for ECU pins from a friend. Even I plan to do it DIY style. Your report has definitely been a help.

Cant wait to install it in my car. Do post about the improvement I the FE post the CC install.
blackwasp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 17:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
A huge effort there , please share a video of this in action
Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Thanks for writing it up. I have the stalk and the wires. Waiting for ECU pins from a friend. Even I plan to do it DIY style. Your report has definitely been a help.

Cant wait to install it in my car. Do post about the improvement I the FE post the CC install.
All the best!

Works really well, havent take it to highway yet after CC installation.

Detailed the car after long time.

DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-1.jpg

DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-2.jpg

DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-3.jpg
Rahulkool is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 08:14   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto

Many thanks for sharing, Rahul! Moving your helpful DIY to a new thread!
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 06:36   #7
BHPian

Well done Rahul. In the long way to come, this feature going to be very helpful to you especially when you are in the mood for very long road trips. Goodluck and keep up the great work.
Wildy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 14:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

CC on my car started giving some trouble 2-3 months back. It was malfunctioning, when move the stalk to on position it will switch on but immediately switch off. Finally 1 month back it stopped working altogether. The stalk was a used one from ebay because that was the only seller shipping to India. I was hoping that the problem is with the stalk only because if wiring had any issue then it would be a nightmare to sort it out.

Finally ordered a new stalk from ebay UK, link below.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Alfa-Romeo-1...item56c342ef7d

They dont ship to India, so had to take help of a shop and ship site. I paid rs4892 to ebay then shipping and duty was 888rs and 2638rs respectively.

Received the part in 1 week time.
DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-whatsapp-image-20200201-14.22.49.jpeg

new one on the left.
DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-whatsapp-image-20200201-14.22.47.jpeg

Tools needed
DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-whatsapp-image-20200201-14.22.46.jpeg

Fuse tap
DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-whatsapp-image-20200201-14.22.51.jpeg

Added one cable tie to the wiring near the pedals as it kept falling down.
DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-whatsapp-image-20200201-14.22.51-1.jpeg

Installation was easier this time as i had done it once before and now its working fine as before, the issue was with CC stalk only.
DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-whatsapp-image-20200201-14.45.32.jpeg

DIY: Cruise control install in an Abarth Punto-whatsapp-image-20200201-14.46.02.jpeg
Rahulkool is online now   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks