Team-BHP - Easy DIY: Fixing a broken A/C vent adjuster (Hyundai Grand i10)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do it yourself (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/)
-   -   Easy DIY: Fixing a broken A/C vent adjuster (Hyundai Grand i10) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/207929-easy-diy-fixing-broken-c-vent-adjuster-hyundai-grand-i10.html)

So, this is what happened with the AC vent yesterday. The AC vent adjuster just came out of the vent while adjusting:-

Easy DIY: Fixing a broken A/C vent adjuster (Hyundai Grand i10)-0.jpg

Went to Hyundai ASS and they had given estimate of around Rs 1500-2000/- (Material is ~ 1200/- for chrome lining vent or Non chrome Lining vent ~800/- plus labour charge is ~ 800/-). The process will change the entire vent including chrome detail and it may take a full day. They will open the lower part of the dash (Beige coloured part ) and fix the new item from behind. They have also told, the actual bill will surely be less than the estimates.

This made me realise that,

1) A little costly affair to what I am getting or what I am fixing

2) Fit & finish of the dash may not be as perfect as the factory fitting. And I dont want to spoil the super factory fit & finish of Hyundai which is niggle free till date.

But again, I have always arrested even a smallest of problems in my car immediately & fixed the same ASAP. [Though no major or even minor problem like lamp problem till date, touch-wood]. So going by that, this issue can not give me a peace of mind hence it had to be fixed.

Returned home, took my weapon from dear wife:

Easy DIY: Fixing a broken A/C vent adjuster (Hyundai Grand i10)-1.jpg

And bent it like this..

Easy DIY: Fixing a broken A/C vent adjuster (Hyundai Grand i10)-2.jpg

Next, I held my weapon against the vent adjuster clip (the part which was still there inside the vent):

Easy DIY: Fixing a broken A/C vent adjuster (Hyundai Grand i10)-3.jpg

Allow me to introduce my next weapon, everyone's favorite:-

Easy DIY: Fixing a broken A/C vent adjuster (Hyundai Grand i10)-4.jpg

And Bingo! It was fixed!! I had spent ~ 5 minutes & 5 Rupees as against nearly Rs 1500-2000/- and full one day as informed by Hyundai ASS.:)

I got know that, this is a very common problem of this kind of adjuster which is very common in modern day's car. So if you face similar issue then, instead of taking it to ASS try fixing it by Jugaad! If it does not get fixed, you can always go to fix it from outside or ASS as per your wish.

That's it, a small, simple, easy & effective DIY, done & dusted!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cp171185 (Post 4565513)
And Bingo! It was fixed!! I had spent ~ 5 minutes & 5 Rupees as against nearly Rs 1500-2000/- and full one day as informed by Hyundai ASS.:)

Quite a nifty fix there. Most car parts today don't come with child parts. So if something small breaks, usually you have to change the entire part, which is usually costly as you found out.

Quote:

I got know that, this is a very common problem of this kind of adjuster which is very common in modern day's car. So if you face similar issue then, instead of taking it to ASS try fixing it by Jugaad! If it does not get fixed, you can always go to fix it from outside or ASS as per your wish.
This is going to be helpful for many others! Thanks for sharing.

Jugaadu indeed. However, even Fevikwik may not be a durable solution, u need to be gentle when you operate the vent. I suspect even any good FNG may have done it for about a hundred rupees without removing the dash.

Been there, done that. Sometimes doesn't work as I found out with my Getz.
Possible reasons:
1. Heating and cooling of the interior
2. Fiddling by a few people (car cleaners, children, etc)

Easier version- ask the driver for the keys before you start the car. Did that for 5-6 years without any problem.

This seems to be a common problem with hyundai cars. My Indica and civic have held up to all sorts of abuse by my 2 year old, but my FIL's i20 Elite's vent controls did not even survive a day. Unfortunately, in my case, the pieces inside are lost inside the ducts somewhere :(

Anyway since it's my F-I-L's car, no Jugaad, and i will have to pay the hard way :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by superbad (Post 4574595)
Jugaadu indeed. However, even Fevikwik may not be a durable solution, u need to be gentle when you operate the vent. I suspect even any good FNG may have done it for about a hundred rupees without removing the dash.

We specialize in Jugaad. It is our forte against the world. Fevikwik has two issues. It has two enemies Moisture and while it takes tensile loads very well, it cannot take shear loads. You do not have either in the application in mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 4574720)
We specialize in Jugaad. It is our forte against the world. Fevikwik has two issues. It has two enemies Moisture and while it takes tensile loads very well, it cannot take shear loads. You do not have either in the application in mind.

you're right, and for that issue, I suggest a PVC pipe cement. It is amazing for plastic to plastic surfaces and would be far superior to fevikwik.

Araldite is one alternative which is very effective as compared to Fevikwik, when fixing plastic components. Although a little cumbersome to apply when compared to fevikwik, Araldite can hold small loads quite well. I used it to fix my first-gen Ford Figo's ORVM, which had fallen off because someone had leaned on it fully. The fix has been working quite well for over an year now. The compound is easily available at most hardware stores.