Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2019, 14:25   #1
BHPian

DIY - Rear A/C Vents for under Rs. 100

For the cars that don't come with factory fitted rear ac vents. Here's a video by : EASY LIFE HACKS shows how to equip your car with rear AC vents easily. The whole cost of this operation is not a bomb, but a mere Rs. 80.

How it’s done

Most of the cars have their rear AC vents behind the central tunnel of a car. The arrangement made here also uses the same place to position the rear AC vent. First of all, the plastic claddings around the central tunnel are loosened and taken out. This means that the plastic covering around the gearbox and the handbrake are loosened and pulled out. Then, a hole is cut in the rear section of the centre tunnel which faces the rear seats. A simple drain pipe is then taken and fitted towards the inside of this hole in a way that it will be inside the central tunnel when the plastic claddings are put back in place.

After the pipe is fitted securely, the plastic claddings are put back into place. After securing the plastic claddings properly, the pipe is then pulled forward and attached to the AC vents which are present below the dashboard, meant for throwing the air down towards the legs. Secure the pipe in there properly and woo, your rear AC vents are ready. Now for turning on the rear AC, set the airflow mode to up and down. For only rear AC, set it to down only and for turning it off completely, set it to up only. Easy as it gets. However, there are some precautions you must take care of.

Drawbacks

•No cold air for lower body areas for the front passengers.
•The rear vent will throw relatively less cool air than the front because of the temperature gain in the pipe as the cooled air from will travel a longer distance.
•Will result in rattles if claddings not fastened properly.
•Sort of a makeshift arrangement.

Credits: cartoq

Last edited by manaljain : 27th April 2019 at 14:26.
manaljain is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 28th April 2019, 06:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: DIY - Rear A/C Vents for under Rs. 100

Good idea. I had thought of this too for my Alto, but the problem was that the AC outlet in that is a long rectangle, not square or circular. So it is not possible to insert the end of the pipe into it.

Anyway, this is a very good idea and people can try it - just check if the all the holes connect snugly first.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2019, 10:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY - Rear A/C Vents for under Rs. 100

Brilliant idea! Pretty neat implementation as well!

In cars like my older 1.2 Na Punto, the rear got AC vents for the feet (located under front seats). For people with cars like this, it makes sense to divert the air to a better location.

One thing to note is that the total air volume coming out of the system will remain same, so there is no question of putting extra load, etc. on the compressor. This is just an effective way to distribute the cooler air. With the Sunfilm ban, on a hot afternoon, rear AC vents are a boon.
blackwasp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 11:14   #4
BHPian

A brilliant DIY, one could also attach a small fan with a switch on top of the hole.
This will allow the rear passengers to get more air, the only thing to keep in mind is to not use a high power fan.
Old 3rd May 2019, 11:34   #5
BHPian

Great DIY!

I remember one of our DIY gurus @wanderernomad had put up a similar setup in his Indigo Marina a decade back - he even went one step ahead and put in a fan inside the plumbing and vents at the outlet to make it even more effective!

Link to his thread:- https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...con-vents.html (DIY: Rear Air-Con Vents)

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
jsrakkar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 12:06   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaljain View Post
For the cars that don't come with factory fitted rear ac vents. Here's a video by : EASY LIFE HACKS shows how to equip your car with rear AC vents easily. The whole cost of this operation is not a bomb, but a mere Rs. 80.
Saw this video in Youtube few days back. Seriously, a brilliant DIY. Car manufacturers should include this feature in every model they sell.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 3rd May 2019 at 12:51. Reason: Video link removed from the quote box
Old 3rd May 2019, 12:58   #7
BHPian

Brilliant implementation! Since the temperatures are increasing year by year, this kind of DIYs are actually to be done. Although I don't know why manufacturers still considers this as a premium feature.
Old 3rd May 2019, 15:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

While this is certainly a cheap and reversible DIY, I have doubts about its effectiveness. The old fashioned way of doing this i.e. let the central vents blow air to the back and the side vents be used by the front passengers seems more effective to me.
Old 6th May 2019, 13:31   #9
BHPian

This is a crazy mod. A less intrusive way (without disturbing car's anatomy) is to just buy a 3-4m long USB cable along with a chargeable hand held fan. Figure out a way to mount the fan inside the car facing rear passenger(s) using 3M two way stickers. The micro USB cable plugged into the charging socket continues to supply power to the fan as long as it is in operation. We can always route the cable through some camouflaging means below the seats etc.

Just ensure you dont leave the fan (obviously with a chargeable battery) unattended in the sun with your car locked up (I was at the receiving end of a exploding battery few summers ago and my 4m old infant son escaped with minor injuries).

Last edited by bhaskaracs : 6th May 2019 at 13:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks