Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2019, 21:15   #1
BHPian

How to remove glue left behind by the door protector?

Does anyone know how to remove the glue and rubber after we remove the door protectors? I had four of them, one on each door, and two has fallen off. I need to replace with new ones but these things are not going away. It is mostly leftover rubber which is still strongly glued to the car.
Attached Thumbnails
How to remove glue left behind by the door protector?-img_20190718_144601e.jpg  

Old 18th July 2019, 23:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: How to remove glue left behind by the door protector?

Soak in WD40 / Kerosene for 5 mins and then wipe with a soft cloth.

Use Car wax later on all areas that you use solvents on.
AbhiJ is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 08:24   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: How to remove glue left behind by the door protector?

The debadging thread has a lot of ideas:

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Once the badges were removed, we used the heat gun to loosen out the glue from the surface and used a bit of 100% Iso Propyl Alcohol (IPA) to further loosen the glue & a bit of Abro Bug & Tar remover spray to get rid of the glue from the body surface.

WD-40 didn't work as good as IPA in my case. Maybe in a 'new car', the situation would be different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
A popular DIY method is by using a hair dryer or heat gun to soften the glue and use fishing line to remove them , best to do it a few letters at a time and sustain the heat.

This may often leave glue residue on the paint that needs to be removed using a rubbing compound/diesel whichever works on that glue. You should be good by now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Judicious use of heat gun (be sure not to strip off paint) to loosen the adhesive, twine string to take off the lettering, and a solvent (diesel / goo gone / wd 40) to remove the glue residue did the trick for me.
For stickers, use a plastic blade in place of the twine string.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
Some good thread to remove the decals and a sweating session with Amway silicon glaze polish to remove the glue residue. There would be a better option to remove the glue which other members might have tried.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 10:46   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiswas View Post
Does anyone know how to remove the glue and rubber after we remove the door protectors? I had four of them, one on each door, and two has fallen off. I need to replace with new ones but these things are not going away. It is mostly leftover rubber which is still strongly glued to the car.
Based on the order of availability and inverse order of ease of use:
1. Soap + warm water solution - Soak repeatedly for a few minutes and then wipe it off with a rag or cloth
2. Use any lens cleaner or alcohol based spray and wipe off layer by layer
3. Use any foam cleaner or interior cleaning solution.
4. Use WD40/Zorrik/Degreaser

Avoid the use of heat gun or hair drier in such cases. It will do more harm than good. From the image it looks like the door protector was glued with a double sided adhesive strip. If you use soap or any other solution to soak, the whole layer will come off in one go like paper. Heat will work well for double sided adhesive foam and not for DS tape.

Last edited by audioholic : 19th July 2019 at 10:48.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 16:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Even a slight buffing with fine rubbing compound works, I would use any isopropyl or alcohol directly on the paint with extreme caution.
Old 19th July 2019, 17:26   #6
BHPian

IPA can soak the clearcoat if we are not careful. Mildly heat the area and wipe it off with a mf cloth sprayed with wd40.

Most Viewed