Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2019, 07:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naveen_0181 View Post
Other than the 2 wires connected to Battery is there any other wire connected to let the controller know the engine running status?

Is it just doing by measuring thr battery voltage?
No other cable. That's the duty of the controller to determine and turn on the lights once voltage crosses a certain threshold, and turn them off again based on the same.
Old 12th August 2019, 22:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY: Installing LED DRLs in my Honda Jazz

DRL pics on an overcast day and at night:

DIY: Installing LED DRLs in my Honda Jazz-day-night.jpg
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 08:43   #18
BHPian

Hii Blackasta, damn those DRL's look good . I have booked a Honda Jazz CVT VX variant and intend to put in the DRL's. These look perfect especially because there is no modification done and the replacements are in the intended slot where they need to be as in international variants.
The dealer himself (accessories guy) is ready to source them for me. I believe they also turn orange and work as turn indicators. I prefer them in the always on mode and not with activation of parking lights. Is that an easily doable option and is there any Lumens reading data for your lights? Also how bright are they in day light.
Thanks in advance
Old 26th September 2019, 11:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
Hii Blackasta, damn those DRL's look good . I have booked a Honda Jazz CVT VX variant and intend to put in the DRL's. These look perfect especially because there is no modification done and the replacements are in the intended slot where they need to be as in international variants.
The dealer himself (accessories guy) is ready to source them for me. I believe they also turn orange and work as turn indicators. I prefer them in the always on mode and not with activation of parking lights. Is that an easily doable option and is there any Lumens reading data for your lights? Also how bright are they in day light.
Thanks in advance
I believe they also turn orange and work as turn indicators. - yes they do, but for that you have to tap the oem wiring loom of the indicators. I did not want to touch or tap oem wiring, so left that function unused.

I prefer them in the always on mode and not with activation of parking lights. - that is how DRLs should be. DRLs should either be wired using a fusetap from a dedicated DRL / IGN fuse, or (as in my case) wired as a separate circuit with the battery & a DRL control module.

is there any Lumens reading data for your lights? Also how bright are they in day light. - I do not have any lumen reading, but is bright enough to be noticeable by the day, but not too bright to cause any discomfort.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 12:25   #20
BHPian

Hey thanks for the quick revert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I believe they also turn orange and work as turn indicators. - yes they do, but for that you have to tap the oem wiring loom of the indicators. I did not want to touch or tap oem wiring, so left that function unused.

I'm getting it fitted from showroom so will take a call on that.

I prefer them in the always on mode and not with activation of parking lights. - that is how DRLs should be. DRLs should either be wired using a fusetap from a dedicated DRL / IGN fuse, or (as in my case) wired as a separate circuit with the battery & a DRL control module.

Great that was my exact point as well. The showroom guy was asking me to change Headlights to LED as well due to color diff between halogen and White LED's. But im quite used to it on my 2nd Gen XUV and im sure itsn't an issue

is there any Lumens reading data for your lights? Also how bright are they in day light. - I do not have any lumen reading, but is bright enough to be noticeable by the day, but not too bright to cause any discomfort.
Noted.

FYI, im also getting the Jazz in the same color as yours. Any other pictures/ mods of your Jazz would be awesome. Love the Mugens badge as well!
vinitbhavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 13:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
Hey thanks for the quick revert.

Noted.

FYI, im also getting the Jazz in the same color as yours. Any other pictures/ mods of your Jazz would be awesome. Love the Mugens badge as well!
The chronicles of Real Steel can be found here (Real Steel - My 2018 Honda Jazz Petrol VX CVT in Modern Steel Metallic).
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 15:09   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I was kind of taken aback as on how easily and without any major hassle I was able to do this DIY - only major hurdle was how to route & secure the harness wiring.
A wonderful DIY. Good finish & looks fabulous. My cousin and also my neighbour both have the Jazz & the dummy plugs in the DRL housing are such an eyesore! I'll share your DIY with them. Will be very useful for them surely. Sharing right away.

3 very small points from me -
  1. In your step-by-stem guide, run a live test by connecting the terminals BEFORE installing the DRLs in place with screws etc. That avoids rework in case of problems afterwards.
  2. Ideally the DRL kit should come with a 3rd wire. This wire should be hooked up to the parking lamps. When the position lamps. This way when the headlamps are turned on, the DRLs dim in intensity and avoid dazzling oncoming drivers in darkness. You have mentioned that the kit has a claimed functionality for this. If you see that wire - do hook it up. Makes things safer. In most countries it is infact illegal not to dim DRL when main lights are on. (Well such things don't matter in our country do they!)
  3. The DRL can also be connected to the "Accessory" fuse using a fuse tap in the fuse box. Makes it a bit cleaner than fiddling with battery terminal. This way the DRLs start like stock setup in cars - when in Accessory/Ign mode. Before starting the engine. And the "-ve" is just ground. Its not necessary to run it all the way to the battery (although no problem with the way you have done it). You can hook it up to the chassis at any of the nearest ground bolts. You'll see black wiring being bolted on to the frame in 2-3 places easily. Thats grounding which is returned to the battery -ve.

Last edited by Reinhard : 26th September 2019 at 15:25.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks