Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2019, 18:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

DIY: Installing LED DRLs in my Honda Jazz

Why DRLs

The question should be - why not? Most if not all of the competitors of Jazz in India come with factory fitted DRLs on atleast the top models (some include them in lower trims as well). DRLs look cool, and enhances the visibility of the car.

As mentioned in my initial review, I was planning to install DRLs from the day I got the car home, but at first thought about waiting out till the warranty is over, but ultimately could not wait it out for 5 years.

Quote:
The fog lamps again are halogen units, and there's a blank where ideally DRLs should be located (Warrants a DIY upgrade after warranty period is over)

Procurement

Jazz being a global model, OEM fit DRLs are easy to come by in AliExpress - one only needs to choose the type / features etc.
I got the one which came in dual white / amber function (via optional connection by tapping the indicator cables), a full wiring harness, DRL controller and replacement plastic panel so that I don't have to cut the OEM plastic cover.

Once I received the package, I tried a dry run, but the controller served no purpose and the DRL units were staying ON no matter the car was shut off, in ACC mode or started.

I then decided to get another control unit which can do the auto on / off part - and after some looking around, got this one.
It turns on the DRLs once the engine is started, and turns them off once the engine is shut off + 20 secs. It also has a claimed functionality of dimming the DRLs via tapping the parking lights.

Installation

Tools required: Flat & philips screw drivers, plastic trim prying tool, spanners to tighten / loosen the battery bolts, wire cutter / stripper, heat shrink tubing / electrical tape, cable ties.

The Indian Jazz, even in top trim VX, comes with a blank cover in place where the DRLs should be.

DIY: Installing LED DRLs in my Honda Jazz-img_20190804_104421.jpg

Take a philips head screw driver and undo the single screw holding the plastic cladding.

DIY: Installing LED DRLs in my Honda Jazz-img_20190804_104442.jpg

Then take a prying tool and gently but firmly, undo the clips around the cover.

DIY: Installing LED DRLs in my Honda Jazz-img_20190804_104509.jpg

Once done - we can see that there's already provision in the chassis / trims to accommodate DRLs

DIY: Installing LED DRLs in my Honda Jazz-img_20190804_104523.jpg

Although not mandatory, undo the screws of the fog lamps as well, to get a better view / grip while pulling the wiring harness from the inside.

DIY: Installing LED DRLs in my Honda Jazz-img_20190804_112644.jpg

Run the wiring harness from the top to bottom. Few notes on the wiring harness:
  • Normally has 3 ends - one goes to the battery ,1 each to 2 sides.
  • Choose one that has proper clip on adapters on the DRL ends.
  • I snipped the cables at the battery end, and twisted + used heat shrink tubing to connect the DRL controller, which was connected to the battery at the last step of installation

DIY: Installing LED DRLs in my Honda Jazz-img_20190804_113521.jpg

Pull out the wiring harnesses from the DRL / fog lamp cutouts. You have to go by feel here.

DIY: Installing LED DRLs in my Honda Jazz-img_20190804_113515.jpg

DIY: Installing LED DRLs in my Honda Jazz-img_20190804_113536.jpg

Tie the controller / distribution box to any safe anchoring point. I chose another cable & used a cable tie.

DIY: Installing LED DRLs in my Honda Jazz-img_20190804_114027.jpg

After that, simply snap in the connectors on the DRL to the harness, and screw in the DRLs at the given points.

DIY: Installing LED DRLs in my Honda Jazz-img_20190804_114734.jpg

Press fit the plastic cover supplied with the DRL that has cutouts for both the fog-lamp and the DRL. Screw in the single screw that came out while taking out the panel.

DIY: Installing LED DRLs in my Honda Jazz-img_20190804_114944.jpg

Finally - connect the positive and negative ends from the controller to the battery.

DIY: Installing LED DRLs in my Honda Jazz-img_20190804_163655.jpg

Start the car and test !

DIY: Installing LED DRLs in my Honda Jazz-img_20190804_120106.jpg

Final shot:

DIY: Installing LED DRLs in my Honda Jazz-img_20190804_120117.jpg

I was kind of taken aback as on how easily and without any major hassle I was able to do this DIY - only major hurdle was how to route & secure the harness wiring.

Comments , criticism, and queries welcome.
blackasta is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 11:52   #2
BHPian

Re: DIY: Installing LED DRLs in my Honda Jazz

By far the most elegant DRL I've seen. Off late some of the DRLs, even the OEMs have become too over the top in terms of design and distracting, in terms of brightness.
This looks cool.
WhiteKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 12:36   #3
BHPian

Congratulations! Those looks cool! DRL was one of the couple of items that were sorely missing in the Jazz, the other being projector head lamps. You are on your way to make the jazz perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Why DRLs
As mentioned in my initial review, I was planning to install DRLs from the day I got the car home, but at first thought about waiting out till the warranty is over, but ultimately could not wait it out for 5 years.
So what happens to the warranty now?

Quote:
I got the one which came in dual white / amber function (via optional connection by tapping the indicator cables)
Are you using the indicator function also? Or using those as just DRLS?

I too wanted to fit DRLs in my jazz. But being a complete noob in electric and electronic stuff (The biggest adventure I have done in my life till now is to replace the CFLs in my home ) I am planning to fit those in a nearby shop. The shop owner tells me he has some L shaped DRLs which will not cost more than 3k. He had promised me to send some pics, but has not done it yet. When I asked about the warranty, he told he will not cut any wires from the main supply and hence nothing will happen to the warranty. Do you think it will be OK?
Vishfull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 13:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishfull View Post
So what happens to the warranty now?
Should not be affected, as I have not cut / tapped / punched any oem wiring.

Quote:
Are you using the indicator function also? Or using those as just DRLS?
No - just using them as DRLs. The Yellow cable you see tucked inside the sleeve in a couple of snaps is the wire that should be linked with the oem indicator cables. Requires tapping into factory wiring, and thus I refrained from doing the same.

Quote:
The shop owner tells me he has some L shaped DRLs which will not cost more than 3k. He had promised me to send some pics, but has not done it yet. When I asked about the warranty, he told he will not cut any wires from the main supply and hence nothing will happen to the warranty. Do you think it will be OK?
What you see above is the default way of how DRLs are to be mounted in a Jazz. L shaped DRL means that the light would come pre mounted on a replacement plastic trim and most likely not screwed in to the body as in my case above.
You may proceed if the installer is using a good quality wiring harness directly connected to the battery, the wiring harness has a DRL controller, the harness has a fuse to prevent overload and that no oem wire is being cut / spliced / tapped.
blackasta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 14:32   #5
BANNED

Wow @blackasta sir, that is a very clean installation! It is a shame that Honda does not provide the top end trim of Jazz with DRLs, but then, there is always room for a DIY.

Can you please post some more pictures of the DRLs working from full front angle?

Last edited by Simat : 5th August 2019 at 14:36.
Simat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 15:26   #6
BHPian

Brilliant! Thanks for the information blackasta!

Reading this makes me want to do it on my Jazz as well but for that, I'll have to convince my parents about why I should do it and that is something that'll take a lot of time

Cheers!
porsche_guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 15:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nice simple and easy DIY blackasta.

Jazz sure misses out on DRLs but it is good that a blank space has been provided for easy installations. The DRLs sure increase the road presence as well and has become a must in every car now.

Looking forward to more pictures of the car with the DRLs. Hope your warranty is not affected by your DIY as you have tampered with OEM wiring.
ChiragM is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 15:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simat View Post

Can you please post some more pictures of the DRLs working from full front angle?
Would surely do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Hope your warranty is not affected by your DIY as you have tampered with OEM wiring.
No OEM wiring have been touched in any way. This is altogether a separate circuit connected to the battery.
blackasta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 12:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ah !!! Those DRLs look lovely. Not too in-your-face like some OEM ones lately, nor too insignificant to be missed. Kudos for the clean DIY job Sir Please post some more full frontal pics with them in action.

I was under impression this would void electrical warranty but if it doesn't involve any cutting of wires, this is doable in warranty period itself. Wonder how much honda saved by skimping this simple feature from a 11L car. What makes it more of an eyesore is the slot is right there, but covered with black plastic

Last edited by SoumenD : 6th August 2019 at 12:47.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 16:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why DRLs

Jazz being a global model, OEM fit DRLs are easy to come by in AliExpress - one only needs to choose the type / features etc.
I got the one which came in dual white / amber function (via optional connection by tapping the indicator cables), a full wiring harness, DRL controller and replacement plastic panel so that I don't have to cut the OEM plastic cover.
Super! You made it look so simple.

Any idea if a similar one is available for the 4th Gen City? I guess I would need to change the black Fog Grille also as mine does not have the space for DRL.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 17:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Super! You made it look so simple.

Any idea if a similar one is available for the 4th Gen City? I guess I would need to change the black Fog Grille also as mine does not have the space for DRL.
For 4th Gen city ( I am guessing you are referring to the 2014-2017 pre facelift model) there are 2 options available - a fog + LED drl combo, and a DRL on a replacement plastic trim that replaces the OEM trim keeping the OEM fog lamps intact.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 22:50   #12
BHPian

I have been closely following your threads on Jazz CVT. Thank you for the valuable DIY and awesome review of Jazz. I have booked mine too and expecting delivery in a weeks time.
I fail to understand why did Honda missed on DRL and Auto dimming IRVM in such a premium product.
Just one random question- does adding electricals (DRLs and Auto dimming IRVM) affect the warranty ?
bravo82in is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 23:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
I have been closely following your threads on Jazz CVT. Thank you for the valuable DIY and awesome review of Jazz. I have booked mine too and expecting delivery in a weeks time.
I fail to understand why did Honda missed on DRL and Auto dimming IRVM in such a premium product.
Just one random question- does adding electricals (DRLs and Auto dimming IRVM) affect the warranty ?
Congrats on booking your new car !

My understanding is if you do not splice or tap any OEM wiring, there shouldn't be any problems with the warranty.
The auto dimming IRVM is driven from the 12v power outlet, and the service center guys have seen the same - they don't have any issues. I believe they shall have similar feedback for the DRLs if they check it out and see that it is driven by a completely isolated circuit.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 20:58   #14
BHPian

@blackasta, One of the neat and clean DIY in the forum and it looks Stunning. Owning a Jazz, I always criticize Honda for not providing one even in the top variant when all its competitors provide. Definitely misses out on the cool factor.
Being a world car, the body panels are same and hence the provision for fitting a DRL is already present.

Your DIY has increased my urge to install one in my car. Will reach out to you for any questions I have.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 04:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Should not be affected, as I have not cut / tapped / punched any oem wiring.
Other than the 2 wires connected to Battery is there any other wire connected to let the controller know the engine running status?

Is it just doing by measuring thr battery voltage?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks