Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2020, 16:01   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DIY: Fixing the Kia Seltos' rear seat rattle

Is you hear a metal grinding noise (scratching), try to add insulation tape to the boot lock hinge. My Creta had this sound popping up on some occasions. Applied the tape and no sound.
Old 24th February 2020, 17:21   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
This was brilliant because all I did was push the seat open to check the hinge. Put it back and ordered tape on Amazon.

No sound at all.

I think the seat was not sitting properly (no pun intended) and was causing the rattle. Reseating it (again... No pun intended) caused the noise to disappear.

Thanks again. If you are ever in Chennai, pm me, a beer is on me.
You are really know me if you keeping adding the pun warning my brain tends to take the left direction.
Thank you, if i am ever at Chennai - i will for sure ping you ♡
Old 25th February 2020, 10:54   #18
BHPian

My Polo has a similar rattle as well, but I couldn't figure out the source and it was driving me insane. I can totally relate to your statement of being scarred by the sound.

I saw your post today morning and tried driving around with the back seats down and the rattle went away. You sir, are a Godsend!

Just a quick question, why do we apply the tape outside, when the rear seats rest on the other side of the hinge?
SS8939 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 11:04   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS8939 View Post

Just a quick question, why do we apply the tape outside, when the rear seats rest on the other side of the hinge?
Tape must be applied where the backrest meets the hinge.

Locking mechanism holds onto one part of the hinge and that's where the tape too should be applied for a good and tight contact so as to arrest any movement of the backrest.

Last edited by a4anurag : 25th February 2020 at 11:08.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 10:26   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS8939 View Post
My Polo has a similar rattle as well, but I couldn't figure out the source and it was driving me insane. I can totally relate to your statement of being scarred by the sound.

I saw your post today morning and tried driving around with the back seats down and the rattle went away. You sir, are a Godsend!

Thank you so much. Atleast someone who can relate to my words of pain and my obsession over perfection! Well maybe the hinge is not thick enough to hold the seats in place. The tape work makes the hinge thick which doesn't allow the seats to slip back and forth over the bare metal.
Old 14th April 2020, 18:16   #21
BHPian

Good Evening Everyone,
I'm new to team-bhp. This is my first ever reply to a post though I have been an avid follower of Team-BHP.
I have the new Maruti Dzire. I'm also experiencing the same issue of Rattling noise coming from somewhere near the Parcel Tray. Due to the lockdown, I'm not able to take it to the Service Centre.
As far as I remember, there is no option to fold the rear seats of the New Dzire. Or is there?
Please any advice would be of great help.
Old 14th April 2020, 20:44   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
Hello Team-bhpian's!
Started applying Leukoplast until it was nice and thick. I did it on both the sides as I was already starting to see the reaction to start in the left side.

I hope this helps other Seltos owners. The noise complaint is everywhere on Facebook. Now the car feels silent. I'm really happy. Kia should have employed me
Nicely handled, simple DIY, I'm sure this will help other seltos owners having similar rattling issue.

But then I started thinking, what if this issue had happened in a car from a manufacturer like TATA or M&M? Not to mention the plethora of subsequent criticism it would have followed about poor fit and finish in such a premium offering by the car maker.

Also, I would like to point out that, it isn't like, I'm defending TATA/M&M and bashing Hyundai/KIA. (My family has one car each from Hyundai, TATA, MS)

I must mention that I'm a common man who likes interior fit and finish quality offered by Hyundai.
Although small, such rattling issue is definitely not expected in a new car from Hyundai's family.
Old 14th April 2020, 22:27   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjnnbagal View Post
I must mention that I'm a common man who likes interior fit and finish quality offered by Hyundai.
Although small, such rattling issue is definitely not expected in a new car from Hyundai's family.
I'm really sorry not to update this post. It seems that this issue is not faced by all the cars as this problem was looked into by Kia.
It was propably the initial batch of the cars that came with this issue which was resolved after complaints.
The issue for other owners were solved with tightening of bolts of the joints which I wasn't aware of. I'm yet to get it fixed the proper way.

Never the less I too never expected this issue to show up when paying a premium. Even Maruti is great at this work (except the Baleno parcel tray).

Generally speaking I'm not the happy with this car. I just feel that some things are just a miss. For instance the absence of E-brake, illuminated window switches (always a problem at night), android auto glitch which makes me restart the car as well as the phone, single ambient lighing on the dashboard (stuck to red), absence of full boot cladding results in soiling (hence has to be cleaned every now and then)

Now that the Sonet is coming. The simple sharing of interior door handles and steering wheel makes me feel that why did I pay so much for a car that shares parts with a cheaper car. Even bits like the infotainment system and window switches will be shared.

I'm aware that all manufacturers does that to keep costs low but it's alittle disheartening

I even don't understand- the sub 4m cars are more value for money than the little bigger cars like Seltos or Creta. Obviously they can't match the driving performance and dynamics.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks