Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2020, 10:10   #1
BHPian
 
momsonlydriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 211
Thanked: 420 Times
Default DIY: Fixing the Kia Seltos' rear seat rattle

Hello Team-bhpian's!

I ain't wasting any time but jumping right into the topic.
Kia Seltos is born with a rattling noise in the interior from rear right. The first suspect was the rear parcel tray and they were patched by the company during the first service.

DIY: Fixing the Kia Seltos' rear seat rattle-20200221_095609.jpg

DIY: Fixing the Kia Seltos' rear seat rattle-20200221_095629.jpg

The above two pictures indicate the fix to parcel tray done by the service provider.

The drive back home was fine till I discovered that the noise had made its return again!

I was frustrated and I kept complaining but there was no help or suggestion round the forum. That noise was like - *Dug Dug*. It sounded like a heavy empty water bottle going back and forth.

I lived with this issue until yesterday when I took the car out for a spin. You won't believe that I had been scarred with that noise. I took off my spare tire and all the other equipments from the boot. Failed to remove the rear parcel tray so I left it there. Gave it a test run, no good.

I put back everything with immense pain and frustration (especially the spare tire). Something struck my mind and I folded the rear seats. I felt weird to drive it that way. But still gave it a try. To my surprise it was the best decision. Had no noise issue

I only folded the seats to put back items and put back the seats to avoid opening the boot in a tight parking lot. So i never really technically owned a hatch with such folding seats. (60-40 split)

Now when I analysed the issue. I had my eyes on the hinges.

DIY: Fixing the Kia Seltos' rear seat rattle-20200221_095641.jpg

To my surprise they were tried being patched by Kia during first service. Seems like the noise returned as their tape work reacted with grease that resulted the tape to melt and expose the metal to the seat mechanism. Yes, thats the rear right side of the car.

In your car it might be any side. I then asked my mom for a tape (no jokes to my name please) she ordered for a 'Leukoplast'.

DIY: Fixing the Kia Seltos' rear seat rattle-20200221_095656.jpg

Trust me- mother's are always great. Had a tough time removing their tape that was melted due to the chemical reaction. Cleaned excess grease inside the seat and gave it a nice wipe to the hinges.

DIY: Fixing the Kia Seltos' rear seat rattle-20200221_095942.jpg

Started applying Leukoplast until it was nice and thick. I did it on both the sides as I was already starting to see the reaction to start in the left side.

DIY: Fixing the Kia Seltos' rear seat rattle-20200221_095710.jpg

Finally shut the seats around 10:00PM and went back to sleep. Today crossed my fingers and went out for a drive. I drove over rough patches of road, potholes and the noise no longer comes!

DIY: Fixing the Kia Seltos' rear seat rattle-20200221_095731.jpg

I hope this helps other Seltos owners. The noise complaint is everywhere on Facebook. Now the car feels silent. I'm really happy. Kia should have employed me

Last edited by GTO : 21st February 2020 at 16:59. Reason: No more than 2 smileys / post please - thank you!
momsonlydriver is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 10:31   #2
BHPian
 
Blow Horn Ok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bokaro
Posts: 733
Thanked: 684 Times
Default re: DIY: Fixing the Kia Seltos' rear seat rattle

This is common to many cars. My first gen figo had it and even the aspire. In the aspire, it was very loud and irritating. Tried to insulate everything in and around c pillar trim but was unable to locate the cause. After few months did a diy to install the seat covers myself and in that process removed the back seat which is bolted to the body (in aspire). Saw that the hinges have eroded a bit. Applied electric tape and refitted the seats. From there on, rattling from that area ceased for good.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 11:20   #3
BHPian
 
momsonlydriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 211
Thanked: 420 Times
Default re: DIY: Fixing the Kia Seltos' rear seat rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
This is common to many cars. My first gen figo had it and even the aspire. In the aspire, it was very loud and irritating. Tried to insulate everything in and around c pillar trim but was unable to locate the cause. After few months did a diy to install the seat covers myself and in that process removed the back seat which is bolted to the body (in aspire). Saw that the hinges have eroded a bit. Applied electric tape and refitted the seats. From there on, rattling from that area ceased for good.
I wonder how people in a car company work while developing a car. Noise insulation and rattling fix are basic things expected to be in a modern age of the automobile industry.

They advertise extensive tests that ensure the car is built with no faults but manages to have some flaws that are easily noticed by a consumer in a week or two.

Before launching a vehicle they must give their cars to some people to test in their day to day usage.
momsonlydriver is offline  
Old 21st February 2020, 11:34   #4
MSC
BHPian
 
MSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: HP/33
Posts: 182
Thanked: 193 Times
Default re: DIY: Fixing the Kia Seltos' rear seat rattle

Just as pointed above, the rear seat rattling in it's hinge is a common problem with many cars. A highly irritating issue with a straight simple hack. It can be easily managed by giving some plastic or rubber coating on hinge but none gives. The normal electrical insulation tape has this habit of working itself loose in couple of days. The leucoplast or paper medical plaster/tape has a strong glue which won't loosen itself soon.
MSC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 11:49   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,926
Thanked: 17,647 Times
Default re: DIY: Fixing the Kia Seltos' rear seat rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
I ain't wasting any time but jumping right into the topic.
Kia Seltos is born with a rattling noise in the interior from the rear right. The first suspect was the rear parcel tray and they were patched by the company during the first service.
I have your 'sister' car - the Hyundai Creta. And both these issues I have been facing since long time in my car too. I have been applying insulation tape regularly on driver's side door and boot (as these two doors are mostly used in my case).

For the parcel tray rattling, I applied a soft cloth with double-sided tape (attached images).

DIY: Fixing the Kia Seltos' rear seat rattle-img_20180916_170457.jpg

DIY: Fixing the Kia Seltos' rear seat rattle-img_20180916_170453.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 11:58   #6
BHPian
 
momsonlydriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 211
Thanked: 420 Times
Default re: DIY: Fixing the Kia Seltos' rear seat rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I have your 'sister' car - the Hyundai Creta. And both these issues I have been facing since long time in my car too.
Wow that look's amazing. From where did you manage to get those carpet like tape?
momsonlydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 12:07   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,926
Thanked: 17,647 Times
Default re: DIY: Fixing the Kia Seltos' rear seat rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
Wow that look's amazing. From where did you manage to get those carpet like tape?
It is the soft cloth in the velcro.

DIY: Fixing the Kia Seltos' rear seat rattle-2.-double-sided-tape-knife.jpg

DIY: Fixing the Kia Seltos' rear seat rattle-1.-velcro-rolls-1.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 18:07   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 192
Thanked: 450 Times
Default Re: DIY: Fixing the Kia Seltos' rear seat rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
Hello Team-bhpian's!

I hope this helps other Seltos owners. The noise complaint is everywhere on Facebook. Now the car feels silent. I'm really happy. Kia should have employed me
This rattle was driving me absolutely nuts! Thank you, will try this and let you know.

So to expose this hinge, do I just need to remove the rear seat and make it go flat? Like where exactly is this hinge?
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 18:19   #9
BHPian
 
momsonlydriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 211
Thanked: 420 Times
Default Re: DIY: Fixing the Kia Seltos' rear seat rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
This rattle was driving me absolutely nuts! Thank you, will try this and let you know.

So to expose this hinge, do I just need to remove the rear seat and make it go flat? Like where exactly is this hinge?
Your welcome. Just fold the seats flat and you can see the body coloured hinges. Do the patch work from inside (not from the boot view)
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Fixing the Kia Seltos' rear seat rattle-screenshot_20200221182143_whatsapp.jpg  

Attached Images
 

Last edited by momsonlydriver : 21st February 2020 at 18:22.
momsonlydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 19:09   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: TN-11, AP-03
Posts: 241
Thanked: 533 Times
Default Re: DIY: Fixing the Kia Seltos' rear seat rattle

Nice DIY!! Guess, you now have the feel of a big win over something, that, was bothering you a lot.

This Hinge being the cause for rattling has become so common that, Its better to do this exercise on all cars regardless of whether you have a rattle sound or not. We already have members reporting this for Jazz, Creta and now we have Seltos in this list.

I followed similar steps in my Jazz and has it documented in this link (Honda Jazz DIY: Reducing rattles and custom lighting for the cabin & boot)

Last edited by saisree : 21st February 2020 at 19:11.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 19:11   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 25
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: DIY: Fixing the Kia Seltos' rear seat rattle

Thanks for sharing this. I had this rattle issue with my GTK too. The rear parcel tray wasn't the culprit. I too had folded the rear seats and found out that the rattling sound comes only when the seats are in the inclined or upright positions (more rattle in the inclined position in my case). When I gave this input to the service center, they were able to fix the rattle - I was told by them that there was some issue in fixing the rear seats and they had removed the seats and re-fitted them back. I didn't bother asking them the details since the rattle was gone. Let me check if they have done the same "jugaad" with the rear seat hinges. If yes, and if the rattle returns back, then I know how to fix it, thanks to this thread.
sidhegde is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 09:22   #12
BHPian
 
momsonlydriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 211
Thanked: 420 Times
Default Re: DIY: Fixing the Kia Seltos' rear seat rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhegde View Post
Thanks for sharing this. I had this rattle issue with my GTK too. The rear parcel tray wasn't the culprit. I too had folded the rear seats and found out that the rattling sound comes only when the seats are in the inclined or upright positions (more rattle in the inclined position in my case). When I gave this input to the service center, they were able to fix the rattle - I was told by them that there was some issue in fixing the rear seats and they had removed the seats and re-fitted them back. I didn't bother asking them the details since the rattle was gone. Let me check if they have done the same "jugaad" with the rear seat hinges. If yes, and if the rattle returns back, then I know how to fix it, thanks to this thread.
Your welcome. Do let me know if this fixed your issue
momsonlydriver is offline  
Old 24th February 2020, 11:13   #13
BHPian
 
ashvek3141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Goa
Posts: 70
Thanked: 102 Times
Default Re: DIY: Fixing the Kia Seltos' rear seat rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
For the parcel tray rattling, I applied a soft cloth with double-sided tape (attached images).

Attachment 1972000

Attachment 1972001
I too have this issue in my Creta for years now, and what I have been doing is, pasting a thick double sided tape in place where you have pasted the velcro; so that the parcel tray rests on the soft tape. I couldnít find this velcro tape, hence this jugaad. But then the tape doesnít last long as it gets squeezed over a period of time & I have to replace it soon.
ashvek3141 is offline  
Old 24th February 2020, 12:36   #14
BHPian
 
OrangeCar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 181
Thanked: 800 Times
Default Re: DIY: Fixing the Kia Seltos' rear seat rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
Started applying Leukoplast until it was nice and thick. I did it on both the sides as I was already starting to see the reaction to start in the left side.
Nice and simple DIY. Thanks for sharing.

I see the tape is quite thick on the hinge. Does it hinder with the seat locking mechanism? Were you able to fold down the seat again after this DIY?
OrangeCar is offline  
Old 24th February 2020, 15:53   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 192
Thanked: 450 Times
Default Re: DIY: Fixing the Kia Seltos' rear seat rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
Your welcome. Just fold the seats flat and you can see the body coloured hinges. Do the patch work from inside (not from the boot view)
This was brilliant because all I did was push the seat open to check the hinge. Put it back and ordered tape on Amazon.

No sound at all.

I think the seat was not sitting properly (no pun intended) and was causing the rattle. Reseating it (again... No pun intended) caused the noise to disappear.

Thanks again. If you are ever in Chennai, pm me, a beer is on me.
Stribog is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks