Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2020, 20:20   #16
BHPian

Re: DIY: Converting a Maruti Zen into a sleeping bed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the DIY Section. Thanks for sharing!

Now, I want such a bed! Incredible conversion, going to our homepage today
Please tell me which car would you prefer, I would love to do a project for you.

I feel honoured to be on the homepage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Wow - thats quite a lot of effort going into the project & a sweet result! Takes real passion & commitment to take such a project through to end. Most would simply pick a modern designer bed and get done with it! This is a fantastic project.

I hope the Zen now helps in attaining a ZEN STATE while asleep and takes the occupant on enjoyable dream journeys! Thanks for sharing the detailed process along with videos.
Thank you very much for appreciating. I read somewhere, the name zen was derived from: Z ero E ngine N oise.
Now that this zen has got a second life and a whole new purpose to serve, I am pretty confident of the Zen state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Wow, this is such a unique and amazing thread! Just shows how such diverse and unimaginable topics can be discussed here
I agree! Team-Bhp never ceases to amaze and keep us glued.

About the cost, it was not much sir, specially because we had no deadlines, so we worked only in our free times, the help we got from our factory staff was during their free times. Being in the sheet metal industry we had all the tools at our disposal to cut, chop, weld etc. On a hind sight, not that I plan to but if I am able to sell the dismantled unused parts I might even be 0-0.

Will share storage space photos soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit.shri View Post
wow...the "fun in the car backseat" has been taken to an entirely different level now

BTW, you can probably use the other component parts, like steering column, to make side stands and tables. Those suspension coils can make a wicked table lamp.
The steering column has been temporarily retained to steer the car inside the factory. The suspension coils idea is great! But the suspension has been retained too, keeping the "fun in the car" in mind. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Now this DIY method perfectly fits the requirement for this car suggestion thread started about a decade back.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-...uld-i-buy.html (Which car should I buy?)
This guy may need a different design, he definitely needs a car WITH the roof for hanky panky.

I went through the link in your post and saw a post from Sam Kapasi. I so enjoyed reading his blogs! I wish I were half as eloquent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
Straightaway reminded me of this hit song from yesteryears
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Nice job

This was in my bucket list for so many years before I realized I don't have such a big door to bring a car inside the bedroom. How are you gonna handle it? Or this will be placed at outdoors / garage itself?
I did a bit of homework before hand, with the roof cut and tyres removed, the vertical height of the zen is slightly less than 3 feet the width is about 5 feet. 3-3.5 feet and 8 feet is the average width and height respectively of a house door. So the plan is to 'rotate' the car along the vertical axis and go through the door.
Though now I am also contemplating the idea of having a room built around the car on the roof of our factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Your creativity has stirred my mind to think about what else!
These are just my wild thoughts , please excuse if they dont sound practical.
I am taking liberty to put my ideas in your thread.
Your ideas are brilliant! Thank You!
Definitely the height is an issue, to combat the same, we had decided to place the spare wheel on the ground right next to the bed. It would serve as a step.

The flap put to cover the boot storage area opens from the top only. Maybe I did not understand what you meant.

Sliding mechanism of doors would look super classy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohd595 View Post
Fantastic effort ! A good paint job and the whole project will look bomb.
Thank you!
Rather than painting the car, I was thinking of putting a lot of stickers and colourful magnets. (most of them would be marvel themed ). What say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peus017 View Post
Full marks for the effort

But definitely this doesn't look like most of us can DIY
Any reason for taking such long route for getting a Zen State Bed ? I mean considering the efforts involved
Thanks! Sure you can! If you have access to basic sheet metal tools such as a jig-saw, grinder and welding machine.
No amount of theoretical knowledge can beat the practical experience my brother gained by executing this project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar_thikr View Post
Great Job brother, really appreciate your effort. You can convert the rest of the items into usable products as well, like the seats could be turned to full-on sofa set and the steering wheel suspension can be turned into a table lamp.
I have a couple of questions, how much does weigh now? and how easy is it to be moved around?
Also, how do plan to bring it inside the house.?
Thanks you! Seats to sofa is awesome! Shall evaluate the feasibility today only and if possible will start work on it ASAP.

To my surprise the car is still very heavy. Its like the engine, transmission the entire interiors weighed nothing!
It can be moved around very easily, specially because the steering has been retained. A light-handed push and the car moves.

Yes, so far the plans are on to bring it inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Honestly - I do feel sad for the Zen.

BUT - it's better than the scrapyard, and hence - I do understand the thought process behind this project. Engine for brother's college project + body preserved as furniture is far better than scrapping such beauties to be lost forever.
I fully agree, with a heavy heart and a catch in my voice was I able to see the roof being chopped. Better than seeing it get scrapped though.

My Scorpio was 9 years and 360 days old the day NGT decided to ban 10 year old diesel cars. Imagine my plight. I rant about it a LOT.

Last edited by Sheel : 9th July 2020 at 21:19. Reason: Removing video's URL & trimming the quoted posts.
RS90 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 22:24   #17
BHPian

Wow what an idea sir ji. Superb innovation, now i got the idea. My gypsy will be my bed once it can't be driven any more.
drbones is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 08:14   #18
BHPian

Great effort! Looks fab!

I would not have removed the roof, rather, I would remove the seats, Dash completely and make the interior blank with a flat floor with bed and with some neat interiors.

Interiors will have LED lights for reading. Small Fan and storage unit. Since its closed, entry/exit would be from the boot and would serve as our private space. If possible, I will also reduce the height of the car and make it low for much easy access.
ash22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 10:06   #19
BHPian

I am in love with what you did - considering the mindless regulations we have (restrictions based on age of the vehicle rather than checking the road worthiness), this is one way of keeping our darling vehicles part of our lives!
Sometime in the years ahead when I get hold of a farm house, this is certainly be one of the sleeping arrangements
Couple of other thoughts being scooter bar stools and and a Jeep's front end as a table.
Big cheers - wishing happy sleep!
(Ending note - perhaps a funky color like red would really spice it up )
katoom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 13:07   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_freakky View Post
Can this be called a Sleeper Car?
Very much so! A 0HP sleeper car though! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbones View Post
Wow what an idea sir ji. Superb innovation, now i got the idea. My gypsy will be my bed once it can't be driven any more.
Thanks! A Gypsy would look even better. But do consider, even with roof chopped and wheels removed, the dimensions would not allow you to enter a standard sized bedroom door. However you may build four walls around it. I might.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash22 View Post
Great effort! Looks fab!

I would not have removed the roof, rather, I would remove the seats, Dash completely and make the interior blank with a flat floor with bed and with some neat interiors.
Thanks!
It would have looked better that way, but:
1. I wanted a fully functional bed, not one in which one would have to crawl into like a den.
2. Retaining the roof would diminish any chances of getting it home and through the door into a room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoom View Post
I am in love with what you did - considering the mindless regulations we have (restrictions based on age of the vehicle rather than checking the road worthiness), this is one way of keeping our darling vehicles part of our lives!
Thanks! I am glad you liked it.
Old 10th July 2020, 15:50   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Lot of hard work there. Kudos for that.

But frankly speaking, I’m saddened. Hugely by the regulations that coerced you to take this step and partly to see a nice car being turned into a utility that isn’t exactly befitting. But still, much better than being scrapped completely. Since your intention was to save it from being shredded, it’s a consolation for all of us car lovers.

If I had been in your shoes, I would have at least tried converting it to an EV. That would have been a killer project for you guys but that’s my opinion. Hope your brother fabricates the power generator from the engine that he aims to; but again to add, I don’t see much of practical use of a thousand cc petrol fuel Genset.

Regards.

Last edited by saket77 : 10th July 2020 at 15:53.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 19:35   #22
BHPian

I strongly feel 'a car wasted'. And after sometime this will become a liability once the novelty wears off.

Last edited by Silver Knight : 10th July 2020 at 19:36.
Silver Knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 19:53   #23
BHPian

What a Project! A unique DIY and executed perfectly. Hats off to the effort of the complete team. Any day better that scraping the car altogether.

Maybe you can fix a stand for a monitor on the bonnet
Thanos-VV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 01:24   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
If I had been in your shoes, I would have at least tried converting it to an EV. That would have been a killer project for you guys but that’s my opinion. Hope your brother fabricates the power generator from the engine that he aims to; but again to add, I don’t see much of practical use of a thousand cc petrol fuel Genset.
Thanks!
I did ponder upon converting it into an EV, but that idea died soon after I read about the cost of conversions going upwards of 4 lakh. Spending 4 big ones on a 40 grand car did not make much sense to me. Even if I somehow got myself to take this plunge, I am sure I would have had a harrowing experience getting a 20 year old car re-registered as an EV. If at all.
A petrol Genset of any cubic capacity makes no sense, I agree. However,
1. It is purely for educational purposes. Even have plans to donate to some technical education institution once complete.
2. I did some very rough calculations, I believe we can churn out some decent kVa from this 60hp engine which would be more than sufficient to power a household during emergency times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Knight View Post
I strongly feel 'a car wasted'. And after sometime this will become a liability once the novelty wears off.
Exactly what I thought before commencing. But then it can be still be scrapped off once the interest fades. Another way to look at it is that its scrapping got postponed by a few years.
If not that, I thought I would take off the plywood and all plastic bits, park it at the far end of the drive-way, fill it up with soil and grow beautiful flowers. Just kidding!
DIY: Converting a Maruti Zen into a sleeping bed!-123.jpg
(google image)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos-VV View Post
....Maybe you can fix a stand for a monitor on the bonnet
Woah! If I would ever happen to put on more vitamin M on this project, this would be it!
Taking liberty to take your idea to whole new level, imagine this: The bonnet hinges are are modified such that the bonnet flips open in reverse like in the Premier 118 NE (attaching photo for reference). This happens with electronic actuators controlled by a remote. The TV/monitor is mounted on the back side of the bonnet. Lying on the bed, push a button, the bonnet flips open, voila! TV.
DIY: Converting a Maruti Zen into a sleeping bed!-345.jpg
(google image)
RS90 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 07:47   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Now Rushlane comes up with this story. The article was written on 10th September.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks