Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2020, 18:27   #1
BHPian

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze

I've been owning my Amaze since July 2013, yes the first batch of Honda's noisy diesel engines. At the time of launch, Suzuki Dzire was the only competitor it had and this was a better choice. Later Mobilio was launched, nothing fancy there and after that Mobilio RS was launched. Ever since it's launch I was in desperate search of getting a pair of RS headlights as it was looking absolutely beautiful. I've came across few aftermarket headlights with a HID Bi-Xenon setup, but it failed to impress me. I once went to the Honda service center to book a set and for my shock each one was costing around 16K back then. It was too much money put into an headlight considering it only had a Bi-Xenon projector and a normal halogen bulb. Since then I've been try out on various sources to get hold on a pair of these headlights, sadly none was found since Mobilio RS was not a big hit back then and only few number of cars were ever sold. Tried sourcing a pair from Indonesia hoping that this would be costing less, but to my shock it almost costs the same after conversion.Years passed by, but the search was never stopped until I came across an ad from Kochi on Olx. He was running these RS lamps on his petrol amaze and he sold the car and hence selling these separately. He was running an aftermarket LED's on this and I bought this all together from him.

Happiness do come in big boxes!

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-20200221-154907.jpg

Part Number Left :33150TE8K91

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-20200221-154926.jpg

Part Number Right : 33100TE8K91

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-20200221-154930.jpg

MRP is 17172 for a single unit and then GST(28%), would easily cross 40K price range for both!

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-20200221-154935.jpg

Voila! She's such a beauty to look at!

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-20200221-155037.jpg

Made in Indonesia

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-20200221-155056.jpg

Previous owner glued the wires in, I wanted a plug&play connection.

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-20200221-155105.jpg

Previous owner even gave me a pair of stock halogen bulbs that came with the headlights, not using it anyway!

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-20200221-155205.jpg

Test fit, just for size comparison.

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-20200221-155346.jpg

Boslla Bullet LED bulbs that the previous owner was using.

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-20200221-155550.jpg

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-20200221-155629.jpg

It's a Tricolor LED with 3 different temperature scale. The White color is 6500K, Warm is 4300K, Yellow is 3000K. It even has an SOS mode which will basically turn the headlights to look like Hazard light, which I felt very annoying.Here's a picture for reference. 4300K is the closest temperature setting to that of Halogen lamps. Felt it pretty good since I'm running on stock fog lamps and it's yet to be upgraded.

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-boslla-led.png

The color changing process is Turn on the headlights and you'll be by default in White light(6500K). Switch OFF and ON within 5 seconds and you'll go to the next light setting, that is Warm(4300K), do this again and you'll be on the next setting, Yellow(3000K) and following the SOS lights.Turn off the lights for 5 seconds and you'll be going back to the default setting, that is the White light. You can even Force Reset by quickly switching 3 times and it also will revert you back to the default White light.

This is how it looks with the LED bulb in place, all tucked in perfectly, pretty flush I must say!

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-20200310-173512.jpg

Tip of the iceberg!

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-20200310-180522.jpg

One of our trickiest works was wiring this thing, gave sleepless nights and three complete redoes of wiring kit, due to one simple ulta-pulta wiring of Honda. Common for high/low was positive, instead of grounding and that too powered up only when headlight is on. High and low were switched with negative. We even stripped the Amaze once and installed lights and had to revert to stock light because of this issue. Blown fuse of Amaze, which we couldn't sort out as there was no proper designation chart in the car. Finally, sorted out the third time.

Though there was umpteen installs on Brio and Amaze in Indonesia and a few in India, there was no detail or slight clue on installation anywhere on world wide web and on inquiry with fellow Kerala guys, all were done by a single shop in Cochin and needs a whole day. Luckily he was a good friend of mine and he said just get both the stock headlights back to working condition and asked me to come down to Kochi. It was the Pandemic time and I really didn't want to travel to Kochi just for this. Even my parents was against this idea, they asked me to wait until all this is over, which hasn't been over until today. Called up the guy who sold it and he said it was done at the same place and wiring was almost the same way I did. They did soldering, we did a 100% plug and play job with no wire cut.

Pin out connection of the RS head lamp.

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-pin-out.jpeg

Wiring diagram. Hope it will help the future installers. Last issue we faced was headlight not turning off. Positive for shutter was fed directly from the battery. Once the high beam is on, the connection completed through the shutter coil and remained on even after cutting supply, had to disconnect from battery each time. Sorted out by connecting to the stock headlight connector.

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-circuit-diagram.jpeg

The second iteration of the plug and play kit. Note the connection taken from the other side as the LH side conked off due to blown fuse, which we had no clue. In third version, tapped from the LH side itself.

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-20200524-124005.jpg

God knows how many times we bought these clips. At least 30 of them bought. Indicator wire length was short and we made a custom plug&play extension for that also and one to tap park light connection. Not even a single stock wire touched. Only headlamp leveler left, for which we need some male clips and the pin-out.

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-pins.jpeg

Last picture in stock headlights.

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-img_20200601_103535.jpg

Front bumper successfully removed for the nth time!

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-img_20200601_105312.jpg

All working perfectly for the first time!

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-img_20200601_111658.jpg

Day and Night difference.

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-img_20200601_135441.jpg

With all lights OFF.

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-img_20200601_151224.jpg

The aesthetic difference this lamp makes is beyond describing!

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-img_20200601_15135801.jpeg

DRL ON

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-img_20200714_211706.jpg

DRL+ Low Beam(6000K)

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-img_20200714_211820.jpg

High Beam

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-img_20200714_211845.jpg

Warm mode (4300K)

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-img_20200714_211905.jpg

Yellow mode (3000K)

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-img_20200714_211927.jpg

A huge thanks to Dilip, a close friend of mine for being the mastermind in this DIY, Fin

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-img_20200616_170450-10201.jpeg
Vishnu Shaji is offline   (115) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 19:06   #2
BHPian

re: DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze

Welcome to the forum Vishnu, great to see more and more friends in this space. And what a way to start than a DIY thread.

Not to mention the mod looks amazing on the Amaze and a very good way to treat the car after quite a decent years of ownership. To this date, this has to be the cleanest Amaze I have seen.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 20:43   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome to TBHP Vishnu & an entrance on the forum with a DIY thread. Nice. I don't know why car makers make this stupid design of negative switching on the headlamps, especially on H4s. I have the same trouble in Alto K10, due to which I have not installed LED bulbs in place of the poor halogens so far. I'll have to go the route of a relay harness for it & I'm just keeping that on hold so far as low priority. This is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen on cars really.

Your implementation results sure are fantastic. While the multiple trial and errors might become tiresome sometimes - it is all part of the fun of DIY and surely you'll agree. The personality of the car has changed so much after the change. And it looks very unique! You've also maintained your car neat for its age. Wish you further long companionship ahead.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 21:39   #4
BHPian

Headlights gave the car a character it was begging for. Simply loved it.
KunalMadaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 07:49   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Gosh, your car looks fantastic! Love the colour, bumper, blackened grille & now, the headlamps. Her new "eyes" have made a world of difference. What other mods? Share side & rear profile pictures?
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 08:22   #6
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze

These lamps are also a top-end feature with the Amaze in Thailand. And also available in the Brio RS there. Was wasted here with the otherwise pointless Mobilio RS.

Nice modification - have wondered why this is not a popular swap for Brio/ Amaze owners. Looking good with the de-chromed front end

The Thai spec Amaze with same lamps -

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-brio.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th July 2020 at 08:29.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 10:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

The bulbs in the headlight unit are very expensive. My Mobilio RS bulb blew out and replacement cost 6K. For 1 single piece. That would explain the high quote.
BTW I didn't think of LED conversion.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 09:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishnu Shaji View Post
Ever since it's launch I was in desperate search of getting a pair of RS headlights as it was looking absolutely beautiful.
Super DIY there and I like that you have used OE lights. The colour changing LEDs - not a fan of those, but I can see how useful they would be in different situations - eg. fog, rains and normal conditions.

Cheers.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 09:31   #9
BHPian

Amazing! Looks very modern and has changed the "face" of the car, in a positive way.
I particularly liked the 3 modes of illumination. Hope the throw and spread of light is nice?
Zinda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 11:22   #10
Team-BHP Support

Very detailed and informative guide on the DIY replacement, it is very nice to see how you have transformed the looks of the front of this car, and these RS lights further accentuate the sharp looks now Interesting to read about the color switch options for suiting different preferences and driving conditions.

We have a Brio AT at home and I was quite shocked initially on how pathetic the OE headlamp throw was, even in high beam. It is quite inadequate for highway use I must say. I am currently using the stock reflectors but swapped the bulbs to Philips Ultinon X-treme LEDs in H4 spec at 6000K color temperature. These set me back by around INR 10k but the throw has been brilliant and the glare is quite minimal with a good height cutoff.

Without any intention to hijack this thread, just attaching a few pictures of the throw to show the world of difference these LEDs made to the visibility levels.

Ultinon X-Treme 6000K LEDs in stock reflectors
DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-img_4957.jpg

Low beam throw
DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-img_8344.jpg

High beam throw with the dead end ~200m away in visibility
DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-img_8345.jpg

The RS lamps you've added have brilliant looking DRL strips, aesthetically beautiful while also functional. Do also post some images of the light throw at night in the different temperature settings, it would be helpful for other Brio/Amaze/Mobilio owners. Thanks for sharing this thread with part details.
KarthikK is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 12:00   #11
BHPian

Excellent job sir
I used to love the headlamps on the Mobilio RS and had asked dad to buy the car just for those lovely headlights! (that naturally didn't happen)
Your amazing Amaze looks stunning with these new eyes and will surely give a tough competition to my Dizzy (Dzire ZXi+) which comes with a similar headlight setup.

Last edited by Nazaar25 : 20th July 2020 at 12:01.
Nazaar25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 12:48   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishnu Shaji View Post

The color changing process is Turn on the headlights and you'll be by default in White light(6500K). Switch OFF and ON within 5 seconds and you'll go to the next light setting, that is Warm(4300K), do this again and you'll be on the next setting, Yellow(3000K) and following the SOS lights.Turn off the lights for 5 seconds and you'll be going back to the default setting, that is the White light. You can even Force Reset by quickly switching 3 times and it also will revert you back to the default White light.
Wow! The the looks are amazing. I had a doubt here, so quickly turning it off/on changes iterates through the colour temp. What happens when you use the pass signal (headlight flashing). And since we generally flash the headlights pretty quickly, does it mean it starts iterating through the temps?
puneetakhouri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 17:10   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneetakhouri View Post
Wow! The the looks are amazing. I had a doubt here, so quickly turning it off/on changes iterates through the colour temp. What happens when you use the pass signal (headlight flashing). And since we generally flash the headlights pretty quickly, does it mean it starts iterating through the temps?
Nope. It’s a bi-beam projector. A solenoid controls the shield. When the high beam is activated, only the shield moves giving out all of the light from the projector. Also if you notice it uses a single HB3 bulb which tends to be used for high beam applications.

Take the look at the picture below. The high beam only moves the shield.

Name:  D7D7C8E56C8A4B72A5EB0E9E992EF50A.gif
Views: 8904
Size:  1.64 MB

Last edited by drhoneycake : 20th July 2020 at 17:13.
drhoneycake is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 18:04   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
Welcome to the forum Vishnu, great to see more and more friends in this space. And what a way to start than a DIY thread.
Thank you for the warm welcome KP. It indeed feels good to be here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Welcome to TBHP Vishnu & an entrance on the forum with a DIY thread. Nice. I don't know why car makers make this stupid design of negative switching on the headlamps, especially on H4s.
Thank you, Reinhard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KunalMadaan View Post
Headlights gave the car a character it was begging for. Simply loved it.
Thank you, Kunal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Gosh, your car looks fantastic! Love the colour, bumper, blackened grille & now, the headlamps. Her new "eyes" have made a world of difference. What other mods? Share side & rear profile pictures?
Thank you, GTO. She is running on Lenso Project D Spec E wheels and 205/50/15 tires and a BMC stock replacement filter. No other mods as of now. Will share few old photos as no proper photo shoots were done after the headlight upgrade because of lockdown.

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-munnar-final01.jpeg.jpg

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-img_20190112_09293701.jpeg

DIY: Mobilio RS Headlights installation on a Honda Amaze-img_20190408_16305701.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
These lamps are also a top-end feature with the Amaze in Thailand. And also available in the Brio RS there. Was wasted here with the otherwise pointless Mobilio RS.
Thank you, Crazy driver. I have seen one or two Brio running with these lamps. The complexity of wiring them and the price point of these head lamps do take a toll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
The bulbs in the headlight unit are very expensive. My Mobilio RS bulb blew out and replacement cost 6K. For 1 single piece.
I did wonder what makes it so expensive. It's just a normal Halogen bulb right ? Didn't find anything special with the bulb. LED conversion is one of the very easy ways to get more illumination in comparison to HID's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Super DIY there and I like that you have used OE lights. The colour changing LEDs - not a fan of those, but I can see how useful they would be in different situations - eg. fog, rains and normal conditions.
Thank you Blackwasp. So do I, not a big fan of the color changing LEDs. Since I anyway wasn't going to put the Halogen bulbs in and the previous owner was running with these, I paid some extra for the LEDs to check out how it performs. Will change to better ones if I find any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinda View Post
Amazing! Looks very modern and has changed the "face" of the car, in a positive way.
I particularly liked the 3 modes of illumination. Hope the throw and spread of light is nice?
Thank you, Zinda. Yes the throw and spread is pretty decent. Did a short 150 km night drive to test out the lights and didn't even once felt less confident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Very detailed and informative guide on the DIY replacement, it is very nice to see how you have transformed the looks of the front of this car, and these RS lights further accentuate the sharp looks now Interesting to read about the color switch options for suiting different preferences and driving conditions.
Thank you, Karthik. Was never a fan of LEDs until now. I always felt it was having too much glare on the oncoming traffic and I do recall cursing the opposite traffic at times. Your setup is perfect. Glare is one of the main problems of LEDs and reducing itself is a big thing. Have checked my lights and since these are having shutters for the high beam, never felt it a nuisance for the oncoming traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazaar25 View Post
Excellent job sir
I used to love the headlamps on the Mobilio RS and had asked dad to buy the car just for those lovely headlights! (that naturally didn't happen)
Thank you, Nazaar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneetakhouri View Post
Thank you, Puneet. Even I had the same doubt while installing these. The bulbs don't change color if your flashing. I checked it many times. It only changes the modes if you turn off, and then turn on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Nope. It’s a bi-beam projector.
Indeed, yes. I think what Puneet meant was flashing during day time. In that scenario the lights would be in off position right.

Last edited by ampere : 20th July 2020 at 18:25. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Vishnu Shaji is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 18:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

Looks great Vishnu! Would love to see these in person in the night. Unfortunately, you live about 1000KMs from me. Someday!

Great DIY - Very detailed and has surely transformed the front end of the Amaze.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks