Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2022, 12:43   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DIY: Hard-wire your Dash Cam without expensive hard-wire kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjoy3 View Post
Was hoping to use this dashcam with front and rear views can double up as a 360 cam for my old war horse
Thought so. But no - they are pretty much useless for this purpose. The positions where they are mounted will generally give a bit skewed and very wide angle view. And then - there is no proper real-time extension display easily available either. If you want 360 degree view - the ideal setup is to actually install an Android head unit with good configuration (4GB RAM and maybe 64GB Storage) - and hook it up with an actual 360deg view camera set (which the Android HUs readily support out of box). But then - for the benefits offered, the cost is too much IMO.

Anyway - the real benefits of 360Deg view are on the corners and sides lower down near the ground - and the dashcams provide 0 coverage in these areas sadly.
Reinhard is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 00:56   #32
BHPian

The 70mai dashcams cannot be 'hardwired' so easily now.
Most of them recognize a real company OEM hardwire kit as opposed to just using a 5V USB solution, even if it is always powered on.

As a result, card-saving features like 'time-lapse recording' are disabled unless one uses the aforementioned hit.

However, nextdigitron now makes their own in-house alternatives.
There has to be a way to bypass such a 'guard'. Often, companies do it by bridging the data pins with a fixed resistance resistor.

Any such luck/ideas? I have multiple A500S and am fed up of paying for proprietary hardwire kits that do NOT cut off at 12.2V+
They cut off at 11.4-11.6V which is VERY BAD for a diesel car long-term.

I'd rather combine it with an LVCD where I can tune that it runs only at 12.2V+ so I have enough reserve juice to crank.

Last edited by wooka : 25th August 2023 at 00:58.
wooka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 08:10   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
The 70mai dashcams cannot be 'hardwired' so easily now.
Most of them recognize a real company OEM hardwire kit as opposed to just using a 5V USB solution, even if it is always powered on.

As a result, card-saving features like 'time-lapse recording' are disabled unless one uses the aforementioned hit.

However, nextdigitron now makes their own in-house alternatives.
There has to be a way to bypass such a 'guard'. Often, companies do it by bridging the data pins with a fixed resistance resistor.

Any such luck/ideas? I have multiple A500S and am fed up of paying for proprietary hardwire kits that do NOT cut off at 12.2V+
They cut off at 11.4-11.6V which is VERY BAD for a diesel car long-term.

I'd rather combine it with an LVCD where I can tune that it runs only at 12.2V+ so I have enough reserve juice to crank.
You may want to use separate device battery supported version of their parking kit. I have been using it for few months now in Scorpio mHawk and charging state change from parking to driving and back is seamless. No more car battery drain doubts.

https://www.nexdigitron.com/products...f4e3deca&_ss=r
Old 28th August 2023, 08:44   #34
BHPian

Thanks for the link.
A couple of issues with this..

1. It's 6k a battery pack. It won't last particularly long with time lapse recording.
2. The idea was to DIY it.
3. LVCD is something I want to incorporate anyway for some accessories off the battery since I don't have a dual battery. I may at some point go the dual way for the scorpio N since I have space for one. For the Thar though it's another matter ��

And not to forget, Mahindra refuses to give reasonably sized glove boxes.

Most Viewed