Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2020, 18:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY : LED Foglamps (S-Cross)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
First off, I must say you have quite the passion and love for your cars when you post a thread at 3 AM in the morning. Nifty post, wish changing (read fixing - A.S.S want nothing to do with it ) fog bulbs in our VAG car was just as easy
Was procrastinating writing this blog for a while while. Been busy with my run schedules and recently got our garden revamp project fully undertaken, along with garden lightings, surveillance cameras and a fountain. Yesterday could not get sleep, was thinking and drawing a lot for the same through the night. Just to make my mind off the project for a while, logged the DIY which was pending
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Awesome mod. As I was pretty sure, this would entirely be a plug and play mod job. Can't believe how long it took for the fogs to arrive, I believe we had discussed about the parts in May IIRC.

Keep DIYing, your threads are always a pleasure to read.

Regards,
Shashi
Thanks Shashi. Ever since you pinged me by the end of March, the idea was toying in my mind. Then when deliveries were relaxed placed an order with boodmo. Took three months for them. Waited patiently, and continued with my running. One fine day in July it arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Great mod, your Kungfu Panda (Jr.) looks fabulous with all LED set up. These all White LEDs compliment a white car well.

.... how good these are over my generic LED fog lights and HIDs.
Thanks WhiteSierra.
Shashi has answered you there. I am not much aware of the specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanaysn View Post
Nice article laluks and thats a pretty neat & clean DIY job must say. The LED fogs for sure look killer over the original halogens.

Apart from the astheitcs I am sure with the COVID-19 situation, you might not have gotten a chance to test the lamps in detail but as a first thought, do you see a noticeable difference interms of white vs yellow lamps with respect to smoke or fog penetration and throw power?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Do update with night snaps from outside and inside. And also tell about how it fares compared to the halogen fogs. I feel that the pure white LED colour doesn't help much in illumination than the yellowish tinge of halogens. It's kind of similar to the flashlight which had yellow bulbs earlier and now the same ones have LED bulbs. Their throw might be longer and focussed but the peripheral lighting is poor.
Will update the light throw and illumination once I get a chance. As of now all the cars are just parked. Too much work undertaken alongwith running, too busy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Thanks for the detailed DIY, am not talking about the fogs but the process of removing bumper of S-Cross!

Last edited by laluks : 19th September 2020 at 18:40.
laluks is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 18:42   #17
BHPian

Dear Laluks sir,

I too have replaced the halogen fog lamps with "AES" made Projectors and 35 watt capacity HID bulbs in my SCross.
I had to make certain modifications in the main mounting bracket to accommodate these projectors.
These HID bulbs along with projectors do a good job relatively.

The dis assembly and the assembly back procedure for the front bumper and the grill were done in the same way as explained by you here.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY : LED Foglamps (S-Cross)-20200919_181934.jpg  

smuniswami is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 19:48   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Anyways let us move on to the steps of the DIY
A fantastic thread. Great detail & step by step guide. The pictures are so precise that they are speaking more words than they generally do! Enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks for sharing.

The key to every DIY (especially in cars) - is the steps for dismantling the car parts of the area in question in the right order & then putting them back exactly as they were before the project. You have covered both these aspects in great detail. This will be a #1 reference thread for readers looking for DIY fog lamp replacement/installation in the SCross. You've specified each and every screw/bolt/clip that needs to be taken care of.

AH darn! What a shame with the barricaded road. I hope it opens up soon & you can travel safely again. Take care & post some performance photos / videos when possible.

OT - Often we see the fog lams coming with intricate beam adjustment screws. The OEM ones on my Nexon also had them. I wonder if even 1% customers / mechanics ever use them in real world.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 00:05   #19
BHPian

Great DIY. My Zest also has H16 connector type fog lamp which has developed a crack. The rear screws on the lamp looks similar. Just curious if this one fits in to Zest fog lamp housing
RK79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 10:44   #20
BANNED

This is a great D.Y.I.
I just have one question and grateful if you can revert.
The screws as circled, do you need to adjust the same for what I am assuming as an adjustment angle of beam.?
After assembly, how do we access this adjustment screw, if at all.

DIY : LED Foglamps (S-Cross)-fogs.jpg

Thank You
norhog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 12:19   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by norhog View Post
This is a great D.Y.I.
I just have one question and grateful if you can revert.
The screws as circled, do you need to adjust the same for what I am assuming as an adjustment angle of beam.?

Attachment 2058037

Thank You

I did not adjust it at all, left it at the received position.

After assembly, there is no way to access that easily without opening somethings. Probably by removing the mud/sump guard near the wheel dam after lifting up the car might give access. I think so.
Old 22nd September 2020, 12:24   #22
BHPian

It's awesome that you did it yourself.
My Fiesta's headlamps are weak, so I looked around and found IPHCAR's projectors + HIDs setup for foglamp replacement as great value and got it done. I just wanted better illumination and that is exactly what they provide, and just for Rs. 8200. Just in case, if you are interested, DM me, I can share my contact's details (though I don't think for the S-Cross you would be looking to improve the illumination).
Old 22nd September 2020, 13:35   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by norhog View Post
Quote:
After assembly, there is no way to access that easily without opening somethings. Probably by removing the mud/sump guard near the wheel dam after lifting up the car might give access. I think so.
The fog lamps can be accessed by removing few locks on the underside panel and then from the wheel arch. The screws are for adjustment of beam in up and down position.

DIY : LED Foglamps (S-Cross)-screenshot_20200922133816.jpg
From the S-Cross manual.
BoneCollector is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 23:01   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Brezza fog lamp assembly part number

Attachment 2056900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
The Brezza's kit has switch and harness included, so it makes sense for those where cars don't have any fog light assembly.
Thank you for the information.

This query is for current generation DZire Tour - 2nd generation DZire. I am planning to use the Brezza fog lamp kit.

I am assuming that the wiring harness comes with relay (and fuse). If that's the case, I need to:
  1. Feed power to the harness directly from the battery
  2. To trigger the relay, I'll have to provide power through the switch
My question is: Where do I tap power for the switch which will trigger the relay? Do i need to tap power from fuse box, or is there any provision available?
Old 27th October 2020, 11:18   #25
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

I was going through this thread and thought about the 4 screw holder of the fog lamp. This seems like a standardized part, at least I want to believe that.

Some time ago I accessed the dislocated fog lamp on my Duster and it looked similar. I could be completely wrong, and hence decided to check on boodmo.

DIY : LED Foglamps (S-Cross)-ren.jpg
Renault Duster | OSRAM element with H16 adapter

DIY : LED Foglamps (S-Cross)-xl6.jpg
Maruti Suzuki XL6 | H16 adapter
Thinking of replacing my Duster's fog lamps to these LED ones.
Quote:
Could you help me out with the following dimensions (marked in yellow) from the lamps you pulled out from your car?
DIY : LED Foglamps (S-Cross)-img_20200730_161230edit.jpg
Diameter of the fog lamp bezel.
DIY : LED Foglamps (S-Cross)-img_20200730_161304edit.jpg
Vertical distance of the screw tabs on the holder to the edge of the bezel.
What is the return policy on Boodmo? Do they accept unconditional returns?
Old 19th January 2021, 22:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

Finally got some time to make a video for this *BLING* DIY

Scross Lighting and LED Fogs

We can safely conclude its a BLING effect, and not really of much help
The yellow ones were better in my opinion.

Last edited by laluks : 19th January 2021 at 22:25.
laluks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 22:22   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

If this is an OE part, it will work as intended - fog lamp.

The beam pattern is showing you the shoulder /kerb which is what it is supposed to do. MS should have a fog lamp alignment chart in their shop, you can have it aligned for good measure.
Old 19th January 2021, 23:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Thinking of replacing my Duster's fog lamps to these LED ones.

Following your update on this. I will follow suit if its a success. Currently I am using Nighteye H11 CSP LEDs in the fogs of my Duster and it's pretty good. However I wouldn't mind an OEM like setup.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 10:14   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally got some time to make a video for this *BLING* DIY

Scross Lighting and LED Fogs
https://Youtu.be/tlYlNb2i7LE

The yellow ones were better in my opinion.
These LED OE fog lamps are too white and dim, they are bling I wanted to buy Toyota's LED fogs for the Crysta when they launched it but after seeing them in action in the night I decided not to. I have put a 22W PIAA 4000K H11 LEDs in the halogen fogs and is very satisfied with the result - yellowish light, bright and a flat beam pattern like original halogen fogs. If you want a brighter fog light a halogen replacement H11 LED installed in place of H8/H16/H11 bulb is a better option. Choose one that has Philips lumileds or similar and can be rotated in its base so that it can be aligned vertically inside the reflector. Less bling but more useable light.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 12:40   #30
BHPian

Hi all, I want to upgrade the stock fog lamps of my 2021 Scross to projector set up. Can you suggest some good places in Bangalore where I can purchase a set and have them installed? EVO is a name I see a lot in Google search. Anyone got prior experience with them or can suggest a good place?
Many thanks!

Most Viewed