Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2021, 08:59   #16
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea & Punto DIY: Speedometer Cluster LCD Repair

*Remove the glove box lid.

*Remove the lower panel in the front central tunnel (only the left side one).

*You will be able to locate the blower motor assembly behind the glove box compartment.

* There will be two pairs of wires going into the resistor pack at the base of the blower assy.

*One pair runs from the resistor to the side of the motor (~10-15cm long, red/orange wires if i remember correctly). Press the tabs and remove the connectors and check for continuity.

*Another pair runs from the resistor to a junction below the climate control panel and the heater core. Remove the connector and check if the wires are damaged. (I do not recollect the exact colour, vaguely orange/orange+black )

*Clean the connectors and bend the pins slightly so that the connection is firm. Turn the blower on and move the wires and check whether the connection is firm and blower maintains steady speed. Sometimes, the wires get damaged due to overheating, in that case, if think it is better to get that particular loom replaced/repaired.

PS: I, very recently joined a fiat users group in facebook, and a couple of other members had also faced this issue. Some resorted to soldering the wires directly to the resistor. It works, however it will be difficult to remove the assembly later. The connector and wiring loom is of pathetic quality and it is the root cause of this issue.
--gKrish-- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 15:53   #17
BHPian

Can LCD from Punto be used in Linea Tjet?
Old 6th August 2021, 16:52   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Can LCD from Punto be used in Linea Tjet?
For the same gen punto and linea, the lcd panels are interchangeable.
Old 6th August 2021, 19:46   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
For the same gen punto and linea, the lcd panels are interchangeable.
I heard from some people that the Punto one seems to crop issues, but this is just hearsay, so I am not certain. Some confirmation from someone who has done it would help. Common sense tells me it is the same.
Old 6th August 2021, 20:57   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
I heard from some people that the Punto one seems to crop issues, but this is just hearsay, so I am not certain. Some confirmation from someone who has done it would help. Common sense tells me it is the same.
It is the same for Punto and Linea. However the lower variants with smaller MIDs are less prone to this issue in both cars. I've seen a lot of Lineas with blank odo. However, babied cars do not have this issue. (Covered parking and less temperature fluctuations)

This is what I read on an Alfa forum on a similar issue.

Quote:
French company used a mylar flexible connector that joins the LCD glass to the driver board and used heat seal technology to join the mylar 150 conductor cable to the lcd glass and gold plated lands on the driver PCB

Bad choice of materials. Mylar is like scotch tape and cars interior gets >120F in the summer time here in USA in many locations, and <-20F in winter as well

Under the heat, the mylar gets soft and the heat seal degrades. Under the cold, the coeff of expansion between the heat seal/mylar/glass/pcb is enough to interrupt the circuit
Source : https://www.alfabb.com/threads/1995-...ocedure.433113
Old 24th December 2021, 19:55   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
The dealer I had called for evaluation came over to my house saw the dead display and took a picture of the display off-center from the right and the picture captured showed the odometer reading.
I am facing the same problem of dead MID screen. In my car, the screen is just showing orange light on the entire screen. No numbers are visible. I tried to take pictures as you mentioned but all I could get is orange light on the entire screen. Can you share this picture of KM reading in your car if you have it now.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Linea & Punto DIY: Speedometer Cluster LCD Repair-20211224_173900.jpg  

Old 24th December 2021, 20:04   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit View Post
I am facing the same problem of dead MID screen. In my car, the screen is just showing orange light on the entire screen. No numbers are visible. I tried to take pictures as you mentioned but all I could get is orange light on the entire screen. Can you share this picture of KM reading in your car if you have it now.
Hi Vinit,

I was unable to get the LCD alone, I finally ended up replacing my Punto with a new car and sold the car with the dead MID display.

It is a particular angle from the side where you can notice the values on the screen. I unfortunately am not able to locate the picture of the same.
Old 11th April 2022, 07:04   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post

I was unable to get the LCD alone, I finally ended up replacing my Punto with a new car and sold the car with the dead MID display.

It is a particular angle from the side where you can notice the values on the screen. I unfortunately am not able to locate the picture of the same

Oops when I read your first post, I was hoping you manage to test this out.

My LCD has died. Hyson fiat quoted to replace entire cluster assembly. Ridiculous price for a 9 year old car with 100K kms on the odo. Good thing was it's not on stock at Hyson. Otherwise, I would have got it replaced.

I want to keep the car for a few more years but how to keep a track of the odo?

Last edited by vibbs : 11th April 2022 at 07:07.
Old 4th October 2022, 18:29   #24
BHPian

For everyone following this thread, 99rpm is somehow offering the entire instrument cluster for Punto for 7800 with shipping instead of the usual 15k upwards. I have just ordered one. Let me see what I get.

Link is : https://www.99rpm.com/fiat/instrumen...ter-punto.html

Was following up with Kava motors since February for the LCD but they simply keep saying that check back after 2-3 weeks. Given that the LCD itself at Kava was earlier quoted at 5k, entire instrument cluster at 7.8k seems like a decent price.
aniketvu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 11:17   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketvu View Post
For everyone following this thread, 99rpm is somehow offering the entire instrument cluster for Punto for 7800 with shipping instead of the usual 15k upwards. I have just ordered one. Let me see what I get.
Got delivered in about 10 days because it started showing as a backordered part once I placed the order. The part is definitely feels lower quality as compared to the original one from 2010 but the important part is that it works well.

Due to a combination of sickness and timing issues, just got it installed yesterday. Installation took about 1 hour at the Fiat service center and now full cluster works perfectly. As per the guys at Fiat, installing it from outside will cause problems since programming and syncing with old instrument cluster values and ECU/BCM needs to be done.

Recommend getting this for anyone having LCD issues.

Most Viewed