Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2020, 19:07   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

DIY : Day-Night IRVM install in a Maruti Alto K10

Alto K10 DIY - Day-Night IRVM Install

Swapped out the stock IRVM of my Alto K10 for a manual day-night (i.e. prismatic) IRVM today. I was planning to go for an auto-dimming unit (like I did in the Nexon) but thanks to Covid19 & China's overtures in Ladakh - that route is pretty much closed. The cost at which one can procure auto-dim IRVM in India is too much & I have no intention to spend that much in an Alto which is a pure city run-about. Alto is a very low slung car. In a world of idiots with LED headlamps always on high beams (from Activa to Seltos) - having a prismatic IRVM became an urgent requirement over last few months. Finally did the swap today. In just about 5 minutes literally.

The car model is already discontinued almost an year ago. Anyone who wanted to do this "mod", has most probably done the swap by now. Maybe there are already posts about the same on this or other threads. Didn't look for them out of pure laziness. Documenting it for reference for anyone interested nevertheless. So please excuse & report this post to be deleted if its a repeat.
  1. The part -

• The IRVM in the AltoK10 (and 800 also I guess) - is an ancient design where the mirror mount is integrated into the cabin light assembly.
    • The matching unit with flip-key for day-night function can be found in the spares catalogue of the 1st Gen WagonR (1.1 F10) VXi.
    • For convenience - here is the part on Boodmo.com - LINK - Boodmo.com day-night IRVM - WagonR Gen1

2. The package -

• Usual MGP package.
    • As usual with Boodmo.com - the original seal of the package was broken. I presume this is done for QC before dispatch. As long as the products are OK and no problems - I won't bother complaining about it to them.
    • The housing had a rubber band to secure the cover on the light.

DIY : Day-Night IRVM install in a Maruti Alto K10-oemsparebox.jpg

DIY : Day-Night IRVM install in a Maruti Alto K10-newirvm.jpg

DIY : Day-Night IRVM install in a Maruti Alto K10-mirrormountdetail_new.jpg

3. Removing the stock IRVM -

• The semi transparent cap over the housing & halogen bulb is simply secured with 4 press-locks.
    • Press the 2 marked by red arrows towards the windshield & pull the cap gently downwards (towards car floor). It will just come out.

DIY : Day-Night IRVM install in a Maruti Alto K10-oldirvm.jpg

• You'll see 2 large screws on either side of the halogen bulb. That's all that holds the mirror in place. Undo these screws gently & the whole assembly will come off. Don't let it fall off.

DIY : Day-Night IRVM install in a Maruti Alto K10-carmountdetail.jpg

• It has a 3 pin connector for powering the cabin light. It has no latch! It is retained in place automatically because the mirror when installed pushes the connector against the roof liner inside the mount .
    • Gently disconnect the cable & keep the IRVM aside.

DIY : Day-Night IRVM install in a Maruti Alto K10-wireconnection.jpg

4. Installing the day-night IRVM -

• This part is pretty simple now - Remove the transparent cap on the new IRVM & just follow the same steps as above, in reverse order.
    • Connect the wire for cabin light.
    • Hold the mount properly aligned with the press-lines made in the roof liner by the original mount.
    • Gently tighten both screws. Don't overdo it.
    • Test that the cabin light works as expected in all 3 switch positions.
    • Reinstall the cap properly. Et viola! Done.
    • Part quality is quite good. The swivel action is also sturdy & on both side flips - the mirror does return to the exactly set previous position. No further adjustment needed - which is good. The stock day-night IRVM that came with my Nexon for instance - always moved about a bit & I had to adjust it back to right direction after the flip.

DIY : Day-Night IRVM install in a Maruti Alto K10-newirvminstalled.jpg

Last edited by Reinhard : 27th December 2020 at 19:36.
Reinhard is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 04:48   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: DIY : Day-Night IRVM install in a Maruti Alto K10

DIY : Day-Night IRVM Install in a Maruti Alto K10 - Post moved to a new thread.
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 13:25   #3
BHPian

Re: DIY : Day-Night IRVM install in a Maruti Alto K10

An extremely useful mod IMO.

Your K10 mod threads are becoming the DIY Wiki for people seeking knowledge on mods for the K10. Needless to say, I have bookmarked all of them, in case I get around to apply any of those on my car someday

Your guess is right about this mod being discussed earlier. In fact, this post by Bhpian a4anurag was my inspiration for carrying out this mod in my K10 -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post3882289 ('Chasing Life' with our Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT (Fire Brick Red). EDIT: 10,000 km up)

By the way, in your pictures, I don't see the black rubber tube on the stem of the mirror provided for eliminating very annoying vibrations in the mirror (Can't believe it was a factory solution!). Have you found a way to tame the vibration without using the tube? I would love to get rid of it if possible.
Romeo_Mike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 13:42   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo_Mike View Post
An extremely useful mod IMO.
Your K10 mod threads are becoming the DIY Wiki for people seeking knowledge on mods for the K10. Needless to say, I have bookmarked all of them, in case I get around to apply any of those on my car someday
Thanks! Feel flattered. The Alto remains one of the nice cars to fiddle with. Minimal risk, minimal items that can break & replacements are cheap too! So a nice little toy to play with even when parked .
Quote:
Your guess is right about this mod being discussed earlier. In fact, this post by Bhpian a4anurag was my inspiration for carrying out this mod in my K10
Ah like I guessed. a4anurag's threads are always info-packed. If only I wasn't lazy to look up! Would have saved me time of looking up the right part!!
Quote:
By the way, in your pictures, I don't see the black rubber tube on the stem of the mirror provided for eliminating very annoying vibrations in the mirror (Can't believe it was a factory solution!). Have you found a way to tame the vibration without using the tube? I would love to get rid of it if possible.
Umm, no idea. As you can see in the pictures - I did the swap in the parking with the car also still in the cover! Haven't driven around since. So haven't experienced any vibrations yet. I might be going for a short spin in the town this evening. Will see how the mirror behaves. In case it vibrates I'll have to find a fix.

Disclaimer - with that large JBL boom-box in the boot - the hatch itself vibrates so much that I might not realize if the mirror is vibrating or just the image in it .

Last edited by Reinhard : 30th December 2020 at 13:43.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 15:36   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Swapped out the stock IRVM of my Alto K10 for a manual day-night (i.e. prismatic) IRVM today.
Hey. Can you send me the link for purchasing an auto-dimming IRVM for Nexon? The dealer is quoting 15k+ for replacing the stock IRVM

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th December 2020 at 16:36. Reason: Fixing broken quote + trimmed quoted content. Thanks.
Old 30th December 2020, 16:21   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun_G View Post
Hey. Can you send me the link for purchasing an auto-dimming IRVM for Nexon? The dealer is quoting 15k+ for replacing the stock IRVM
Hi Varun, I have documented the entire procedure of installation along with product link for the Nexon auto-dim IRVM project on my thread here -

(DIY: Auto-dimming IRVM install in my Tata Nexon)Link - DIY Nexon auto-dim IRVM Thread

I had procured it from AliExpress at an unbelievably cheap price just before Covid19 (and PLA's Ladakh misadventure) hit India. If you can access AliExpress website (not mobile app, its banned for sure) - then find the right mirror and mount combination that I have mentioned on my thread & order it. Delivery takes about 1 month generally.

At 15k - its pretty costly. Don't go for it then. Better to just get the manual day-night mirror of the XZ+ from boodmo.com and install it yourself in 1 minute at home. Its just slid into place. Not even a screw driver is required.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 12:25   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Umm, no idea. As you can see in the pictures - I did the swap in the parking with the car also still in the cover! Haven't driven around since. So haven't experienced any vibrations yet. I might be going for a short spin in the town this evening. Will see how the mirror behaves. In case it vibrates I'll have to find a fix.
So I did go out for a drive around the city - all on very badly made bumpy concrete roads + infinite rumble strips in Pune. Didn't see any vibration. It was quite steady.
Can you post a picture of your mirror along with the black tube you are talking about? Or its internal to the assembly and not visible when the mirror is installed? Don't bother if that is the case.
Old 31st December 2020, 20:01   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! Feel flattered. The Alto remains one of the nice cars to fiddle with. Minimal risk, minimal items that can break & replacements are cheap too! So a nice little toy to play with even when parked .

Ah like I guessed. a4anurag's threads are always info-packed. If only I wasn't lazy to look up! Would have saved me time of looking up the right part!!

Disclaimer - with that large JBL boom-box in the boot - the hatch itself vibrates so much that I might not realize if the mirror is vibrating or just the image in it .
The black rubber thing projects and butts against windscreen, it is not part of package. Today i went to MGP, and brought the above kit to replace my IVRM in Wagon R F10D model. back rubber thing was already present as part of old IRVM assembly, so just reused it.
Probably, Day/Night IRVM (though manually adjusted) is most safety feature in my old wagon r. It was really hard to drive on highways all these years with new headlights of LED and projectors blasting light from behind during night drives.
navrddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 21:09   #9
BHPian

This is the rubber part which prevents the mirror from vibration. I used the old part came with the stock mirror, while switching to day/night mirror
Quote:
So I did go out for a drive around the city - all on very badly made bumpy concrete roads + infinite rumble strips in Pune. Didn't see any vibration. It was quite steady.
Can you post a picture of your mirror along with the black tube you are talking about? Or its internal to the assembly and not visible when the mirror is installed? Don't bother if that is the case.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY : Day-Night IRVM install in a Maruti Alto K10-picsart_123109.04.41.jpg  

Kpzonwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 00:12   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry I was too tied up today to go down and take the pictures in the parking lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navrddy View Post
The black rubber thing projects and butts against windscreen...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpzonwheels View Post
This is the rubber part which prevents the mirror from vibration..
But I see your question has already been answered. Thanks navrddy and Kpzonwheels!

Also, I lost the original piece during a service centre visit and like mentioned by navrddy, this piece is not part of the package. So went through a lot of trouble to find something to replace it -
DIY : Day-Night IRVM install in a Maruti Alto K10-20201231_200741.jpg

It goes here(pardon the off-focus shot) -
DIY : Day-Night IRVM install in a Maruti Alto K10-20201231_200716-1.jpg

The absence of this piece doesn't render the mirror absolutely useless, but it gets annoying if you are trying to focus on an object in the mirror.
Romeo_Mike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 21:21   #11
BHPian

A small caveat emptor to those performing this mod-
I purchased this part from boodmo
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-8470...1v12-36625594/

Same mirror function, different OEM. It simply refused to swivel and function like it was supposed to. Operating the tab would not produce any change in how the mirror worked. I purchased it twice, from the same supplier and had to return them both.(both mirrors manufactured in the same month from the same OEM)

Then I purchased the one which the op has linked and it works fine. Odd.

The new swivel mirror has a cheap feeling switch, compared to the one which came stock in the older Alto. Though the ball joint of the mirror feels solid and combined with the rubber tube thingy which I managed to source, there are zero vibrations in the assembly.

Here is a link to the rubber damper which goes behind the mirror frame-

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-supp...irror-6788599/

Boodmo has free delivery, as on date of typing this. It really improves the mirror stability and eliminates vibrations.

Last edited by bblost : 20th December 2022 at 22:57. Reason: back to back.

Most Viewed