Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2021, 14:10   #1
BHPian

DIY: Cruise Control & Cornering Lamps in my Ford EcoSport Facelift

Disclaimer: Try this mod at your own risk and if your car is out of warranty and please take a backup of all the modules before changing any setting.

Most of you will be aware of the most recent mod I had done(the cluster swap with Navigation enabled, https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5021437). That's just the trailer of a mod and the real picture comes into play now i.e. Enabling Cruise control

I travel a lot in my car and drive about 500-700 kms at a stretch during road trips. Little did I know that without that one button during long drives was going to play havoc with me. So I was casually telling my parents that let's exchange our car for a diesel S TDCi( I'm very addicted to the EcoSport as it offers the right balance of style, power, safety and economy. I'm waiting if another car from any brand can fill up the shoes of the EcoSport). As expected, the answer was a big NO! I had made one request to them that if we're keeping the car I'll modify it as per my requirement and they said okay. They know that I know my stuff about cars, hence the confident yes.

Let's get to the main matter now:

I was researching across various global Ford forums to somehow find a way to enable Cruise control(Ford cars are one of the toughest to do mods as every module is interconnected and secure) and I did get in touch with some Russian, German and Brazilian folks who told me how the process needs to be done and what are the risks involved if the mod goes sideways.

I got to know that Ford has disabled Cruise Control in the PCM for Indian cars and it was enabled by default for overseas cars and I felt like I was stuck in a dead end. I tried enabling cruise control even in BCM and IPC, no luck. So I wanted to find out how to enable this in the PCM

Then on researching more(this took months), I stumbled upon this application called As-built Explorer.(link to downloadhttp://compulsivecode.com/Project_AsBuiltCompare.aspx) This tool helps in decoding features by comparing asbuilt files of different VIN's but the twist is that everything is in hexadecimal format and it's tricky to identify the right block to make changes.

A person named Idumbakumar was a God send for me. At the right time he helped me in decoding the correct value for the cruise control in the PCM

Before I get into how I completed the installation of Cruise Control, these are the sites which gave me an idea about the Mod Potential of ford cars:

https://forum.ucdsys.ru/?lang=en
(Very useful website and their tool has immense capabilities)

https://powermod.de/
(for any mod related to Sync 3 or remaps. Sadly they serve only in Europe though. They support almost all car brands across the Globe!)

This link has details about Forscan and its functionalities(also an elaborate process of adding Cruise Control. I'll be sharing my experience in this thread. So I didn't want to post the same info repeatedly, hence the link
: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...e-variant.html (DIY: Upgrading the Indian EcoSport Titanium to the Global ST-Line Variant)

The next step was to gather the hardware and some help in installing the switch. Naveen had already installed the ST-line steering in his EcoSport, so I went to his place and took his help so that I don't mess up anything by doing it all alone. Before we touch the hardware, we need to enable Cruise control in the PCM,
BCM(it's given as cruise control in the BCM module) and IPC module(enable Adjustable Speed Limiter Device{ASLD}).

Module Names list
DIY: Cruise Control & Cornering Lamps in my Ford EcoSport Facelift-img_20210317_132624__01.jpg

Procuring the Cruise control switch is easy, however it's not recommended unless you have the 8-pin wiring harness(Ford does not sell the harness at all and AliBhai/eBay has stopped shipping to India) and the steering needs to be cut on the side for the Cruise control switch to fit properly. An easier route would be to take a steering wheel and harness from a totaled Titanium+(2017 Nov-2019 Sep or AT model) or S.
I went with the 1st option as Naveen had an extra harness with him.

Cruise Control part number:GN1Z9C888D Available on Boodmo

Cruise Control Switch
DIY: Cruise Control & Cornering Lamps in my Ford EcoSport Facelift-img_20210311_143702.jpg

I called up Naveen(Bhpian: nkdev89) and asked him if I can come to his place to get the cruise control fixed, he readily agreed but he gave me a disclaimer saying that the wiring might differ and it may short some module. Then we sat and did an analysis of what are the modules which would be affected if things go wrong. So it boiled down to SCCM, GWM and IPC modules. I told him I'll go for it

Wiring diagram

DIY: Cruise Control & Cornering Lamps in my Ford EcoSport Facelift-img20210318wa0004.jpg

DIY: Cruise Control & Cornering Lamps in my Ford EcoSport Facelift-img20210318wa0005.jpg

In case if you want only the wiring harness and if you're lucky enough to source it from abroad(go for the 8 pin one. I've posted this for reference)
DIY: Cruise Control & Cornering Lamps in my Ford EcoSport Facelift-img20210316wa0017.jpg

The wiring harness
DIY: Cruise Control & Cornering Lamps in my Ford EcoSport Facelift-img_20210313_175530.jpg

Part number to be changed in SCCM
DIY: Cruise Control & Cornering Lamps in my Ford EcoSport Facelift-img20210318wa0003.jpg

We cross verified with the circuit diagram from Ford and then we did a test of the switch and wiring in Forscan. The wiring worked without shorting any circuit. I was overjoyed and now the tough part comes- To cut a bit of the steering. We kept on making iterations till the switch sat flush on the steering wheel. This took us almost an entire evening to get it right and oh boy! It Worked

The steering opened
DIY: Cruise Control & Cornering Lamps in my Ford EcoSport Facelift-img_20210313_213702.jpg

Cut portion of the steering. Need to drill a hole in the small black circle near the cut portion as the extra thread bolt will be seen which is used for locking the new switch in place
DIY: Cruise Control & Cornering Lamps in my Ford EcoSport Facelift-img_20210313_221915.jpg

Switch fitting flush
DIY: Cruise Control & Cornering Lamps in my Ford EcoSport Facelift-img_20210313_221941.jpg

Day and night difference after the mods. The cabin looks way more premium
DIY: Cruise Control & Cornering Lamps in my Ford EcoSport Facelift-img_20210314_024234.jpg

Another twist was that the PCM was not reading any value at all. I was like all the efforts went in vain. Then I contacted all the people whom I had appraoced earlier and they told me the issue was with the Forscan tool and send an email to the Forscan team.

After 2 days the forscan team sends me another version of Forscan and boom! Cruise control worked in my EcoSport

Please note that neither of us are going to share the values over here as PCM data is sensitive to be shared.

A video of cruise control functioning in my car

The speed limiter can be set form 30-150 km/h. Green color indicates that the function is active (applies to speed limiter also)If you accelerate hard beyond the locked speed, the speed limiter will turn off. The resume and cancel buttons are very handy. The best part about cruise control is that even if you accelerate for a quick overtake, the cruise control pauses momentarily and then goes back to the set speed. Long pressing on the Set+/- buttons changes the speed in increments or decrements of 10km/h. Pressing the clutch or brake disengages cruise control.
The way the car lunges forward when the cruise control is engaged is that you get pushed back and the car pulls ahead clean and likewise while lowering the speed using cruise control, a good amount of engine braking is done.
Also, cruise control helps in improving fuel economy.

Total cost:
Cruise control switch(OEM): ₹600
Wiring harness:₹1,700

Total :₹2300 and a feature unlocked. I wonder why Ford deleted cruise control in the Titanium+ MT between Oct 2019-present for a part which would cost less than 1000 for them through OEM suppliers. Another opportunity lost.

At the moment, only 2 EcoSport Facelift Titanium's in India have Cruise control and MID navigation(yours truly and Naveen's car) is it Titanium cross (just kidding :P)

Credits need to go to my parents , Naveen and Idumbakumar for making this happen.

Now for the bonus mods:(Requires ForScan)

1. For enabling Navigation in MID(might help folks who have 4" MID with sync 3 v3.4)

Go to IPC module and enable the following
DIY: Cruise Control & Cornering Lamps in my Ford EcoSport Facelift-img_20210317_224220.jpg

2. Fog Lamps as cornering lamps

Go to BCM in forscan and see the highlighted portion of the below image.
DIY: Cruise Control & Cornering Lamps in my Ford EcoSport Facelift-img_20210317_224107__01.jpg

Cornering fog lamps video

For Titanium+ and S, the right or left foglamp will light up if you turn the steering wheel to the respective direction

For Titanium and lower variants, while using right/left indicator, the particular foglamp lights up

However for both scenarios, headlight must be ON

I'm sure Ford folks and FASS will be shocked! Now Ford is turning out to be a VW in terms of mods and that's a great thing. I sometimes wonder how these car accessories shops in Delhi add OEM features like cruise control and Auto AC in base models of Creta/Seltos/i20 without changing any module config or do they have tie ups with insiders in Hyundai dealerships?

Upcoming mods are hill assist( not sure if it's feasible, I'll need to research) and TPMS. Till then Ciao and stay safe people!

Last edited by jithin23 : 18th March 2021 at 21:11. Reason: Trimmed post
jithin23 is offline   (87) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 05:26   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: DIY: Cruise Control & Cornering Lamps in my Ford EcoSport Facelift

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

Will go to our homepage today

Last edited by GTO : 19th March 2021 at 07:04.
Aditya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 09:33   #3
BHPian

Re: DIY: Cruise Control & Cornering Lamps in my Ford EcoSport Facelift

Thanks Jithin, for sharing this crucial piece of info. Cruise control feature will make a world of difference to ecosport, especially when it has a hard accelerator pedal, coupled with long drives.
spr1ngleo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 10:54   #4
KPR
BANNED

Hats off to you man! Great job. Indeed such kind of DIY works brings immense love towards one's steed. I still remember the day when I successfully hard wired my Dash cam using a fuse tap as my first DIY. Now many Titanium owners will be pinging you .
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 10:55   #5
BHPian

Is it a good idea to do a DIY cruise control considering incidents like this?
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/192...77NNOMGAYRNWE/
bharat4ever is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 11:00   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Splendid. And that too as a DIY! Kudos mate. I just love cars like this one and a lot of VAG group cars. The modularity, inter-changeability and mod-friendliness of these cars is enviable. In the right hands - these cars are a joy to fiddle with, like you did. If I had an EcoSport - I'd probably have followed your thread pretty soon after publish. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy the convenience!

I'm sure you did all the things by the book and there are no possible gaps in the implementation. As long as its as good as stock PnP - I believe its safe enough. Personally - I tend to be a bit nervous about adding any mods/automations that play with the power-train and driving controls. My mantra is "either buy it from factory or continue without the features. But your project (and there are a few more on the forum like this) - seems to be quite robust.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 11:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Awesome mods Jitin . Hats off to you and Naveen.

I am interested in the cornering lights function.

For navigation in the MID, you have to be in the navigation menu or do the notifications pop up on whichever MID screen is being used ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post

Upcoming mods are hill assist( not sure if it's feasible, I'll need to research) and TPMS. Till then Ciao and stay safe people!
Unfortunately hill assist won't be possible as you need an ESP/ESC unit for this. The ESP units have a yaw rate sensor that detects the slope and then holds the brakes.
fiat_tarun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 12:02   #8
BHPian

Congrats on these mods! Loving the Ford community here
batladanny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 12:04   #9
BHPian

Wow, that one heck of a mod. @fiat_tarun, I also have the same color as yours (MYS registered).

Same question as @fiat_tarun: For navigation in the MID, you have to be in the navigation menu, or do the notifications pop up on whichever MID screen is being used?

I am also interested in Cornering lights functions and Navigation on the MID.
shashi792 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 14:02   #10
BHPian

This is just one brilliant thread and hats off to your dedication, patience and knowledge.

Few points regarding the features that you have enabled:

Quote:
The speed limiter can be set form 30-150 km/h. Green color indicates that the function is active (applies to speed limiter also)If you accelerate hard beyond the locked speed, the speed limiter will turn off.
1. What is the use if it gets unlocked? Doesn't work that way in my Duster or maybe I haven't tried too hard.

Quote:
Long pressing on the Set+/- buttons changes the speed in increments or decrements of 10km/h. Pressing the clutch or brake disengages cruise control.
The way the car lunges forward when the cruise control is engaged is that you get pushed back and the car pulls ahead clean and likewise while lowering the speed using cruise control, a good amount of engine braking is done.
2. I believe 10km/h is way too much gap and it can lead to sudden acceleration as you felt. This can cause serious issues when car upfront suddenly apply brakes on highway. I own a Duster AWD with Cruise Control and have felt that punch but Duster offers 2km/h increase with every press of a button and that helps in keeping it under control. Not sure what other vehicles with same functionality offer. Maybe others can shed some light on it.

Last edited by rahulba : 19th March 2021 at 14:07. Reason: Correction done in point # 1
rahulba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 14:31   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr1ngleo View Post
Thanks Jithin, for sharing this crucial piece of info. Cruise control feature will make a world of difference to ecosport, especially when it has a hard accelerator pedal, coupled with long drives.
Yes, cruise control is essential while on long road trips and my legs started aching after driving more than 500km in a day, which is why I wanted cruise control

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Hats off to you man! Great job. Indeed such kind of DIY works brings immense love towards one's steed. I still remember the day when I successfully hard wired my Dash cam using a fuse tap as my first DIY. Now many Titanium owners will be pinging you .
Thank you! And yes, almost all variant owners will ping me now

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Is it a good idea to do a DIY cruise control considering incidents like this?
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/192...77NNOMGAYRNWE/
I understand your concern and read the article completely. The person was using cruise control at 185km/h and it's difficult to control the car manually let alone cruise control. May his soul Rest in Peace.
I need it for speeds between 80-110km/h in which most of my highway driving is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Splendid. And that too as a DIY! Kudos mate. I just love cars like this one and a lot of VAG group cars. The modularity, inter-changeability and mod-friendliness of these cars is enviable. In the right hands - these cars are a joy to fiddle with, like you did. If I had an EcoSport - I'd probably have followed your thread pretty soon after publish. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy the convenience!

I'm sure you did all the things by the book and there are no possible gaps in the implementation. As long as its as good as stock PnP - I believe its safe enough. Personally - I tend to be a bit nervous about adding any mods/automations that play with the power-train and driving controls. My mantra is "either buy it from factory or continue without the features. But your project (and there are a few more on the forum like this) - seems to be quite robust.
Thanks a ton Reinhard and I like the numerous DIY's you have done on your cars especially the Nexon. All the mods combined together on Team-BHP gave me the inspiration to experiment with my car. There's only one life, why not try out rather than regret!

I used to think Fords are not mod friendly and I was pleasantly surprised after I stumbled upon tools like UCDS, FDRS and Forscan. These tools can literally enhance the car and helps a lot during the ownership period

Yes, I too prefer going by the OEM books only and I haven't cut corners anywhere. No compromise on that and it's a PnP in terms of wiring and switch. Only a bit of cutting the LHS of the steering needs to be done to accommodate the new switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Awesome mods Jitin . Hats off to you and Naveen.

I am interested in the cornering lights function.

For navigation in the MID, you have to be in the navigation menu or do the notifications pop up on whichever MID screen is being used ?

Unfortunately hill assist won't be possible as you need an ESP/ESC unit for this. The ESP units have a yaw rate sensor that detects the slope and then holds the brakes.
Thank you Tarun! Whenever you're coming to Bangalore please let me know. To enable both the features, it hardly takes 10 minutes

So, it's a dead end for me to enable hill assist for now. Let me see if I can source any hardware abroad and if anyone has done this abroad it'll be easier as I don't want to fiddle with the braking electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by batladanny View Post
Congrats on these mods! Loving the Ford community here
Thanks Batladanny! Waiting to see your freestyle modded as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi792 View Post
Wow, that one heck of a mod. @fiat_tarun, I also have the same color as yours (MYS registered).

Same question as @fiat_tarun: For navigation in the MID, you have to be in the navigation menu, or do the notifications pop up on whichever MID screen is being used?

I am also interested in Cornering lights functions and Navigation on the MID.
Thanks Shashi! Once navigation is enabled, we need to toggle in the MID screen and the marked portion indicates for Navigation

DIY: Cruise Control & Cornering Lamps in my Ford EcoSport Facelift-snapchat1830654843__01.jpg

Please let me know when you're coming to Bangalore, we can get this done

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulba View Post
This is just one brilliant thread and hats off to your dedication, patience and knowledge.

Few points regarding the features that you have enabled:

1. What is the use if it gets unlocked? Doesn't work that way in my Duster or maybe I haven't tried too hard.

2. I believe 10km/h is way too much gap and it can lead to sudden acceleration as you felt. This can cause serious issues when car upfront suddenly apply brakes on highway. I own a Duster AWD with Cruise Control and have felt that punch but Duster offers 2km/h increase with every press of a button and that helps in keeping it under control. Not sure what other vehicles with same functionality offer. Maybe others can shed some light on it.
Thank you! And thanks for the heads up on these 2 points

For point 1:

If you floor the accelerator too much then it gets unlocked. Else it will be locked in the set speed

For point 2:

I did retry the +/- function yesterday and like you mentioned for increasing speed it increases in 2-3km/ on long press and for reduction in speed, the 10km/h gap is there. This is the OEM setting and I have not tweaked anything with respect to speed settings

Last edited by jithin23 : 19th March 2021 at 14:48.
jithin23 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 16:42   #12

Thanks Jithin. This is awesome. Great news for Ford lovers. I was not aware that these mods can be done on Ecosport. I would definitely want to see cornering lights on my Ecosport. How do we connect?

Quote:
Disclaimer: Try this mod at your own risk and if your car is out of warranty and please take a backup of all the modules before changing any setting.

Most of you will be aware of the most recent mod I had done(the cluster swap with Navigation enabled, https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5021437). That's just the trailer of a mod and the real picture comes into play now i.e. Enabling Cruise control

I travel a lot in my car and drive about 500-700 kms at a stretch during road trips. Little did I know that without that one button during long drives was going to play havoc with me. So I was casually telling my parents that let's exchange our car for a diesel S TDCi( I'm very addicted to the EcoSport as it offers the right balance of style, power, safety and economy. I'm waiting if another car from any brand can fill up the shoes of the EcoSport). As expected, the answer was a big NO! I had made one request to them that if we're keeping the car I'll modify it as per my requirement and they said okay. They know that I know my stuff about cars, hence the confident yes.
MOD NOTE - Please quote selectively. Request you to not quote an entire post, it inconveniences our many mobile phone readers.
Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 19th March 2021 at 17:55. Reason: Mod note attached.
sandeepcnambiar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 17:53   #13
BHPian

For enabling cruise control on the older EcoSport and Figo triplets(Figo, Aspire and Freestyle), here's the video. This might help others who want to install cruise control in your older Fords.

The steps to enable cruise control are the same as my car except for PCM.

Last edited by jithin23 : 19th March 2021 at 17:55.
jithin23 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 18:18   #14
BHPian

One more request, please try 360° camera install?

(sorry if I am getting fancy) but that will be one hell of a feature on ecosport.
spr1ngleo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 18:35   #15
BHPian

Quote:

For point 2:

I did retry the +/- function yesterday and like you mentioned for increasing speed it increases in 2-3km/ on long press and for reduction in speed, the 10km/h gap is there. This is the OEM setting and I have not tweaked anything with respect to speed settings
Hey Jithin,

That's a super slick mod and can't stop appreciating your efforts. I agree with the push back pull of the car when we resume cruise control with a difference of over 10 kmph between the current and set speeds, especially in the AT it drops several gears and rushes forward, feels like nitrous

I'd like to add my insights here of my Titanium AT 2020, the increase/ decrease in speed is by 1 kmph with the press of the set+ and set- buttons. Not sure about the manual transmission setup though.
raiuday is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks