Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2021, 22:38   #31
BHPian

Re: DIY: Installing an Auto-Dimming IRVM and Digital Clock & Temperature Display in my Maruti Swift

Yup, pin 11 does it. Can't get 5v from pin 10 in E46. Any pointers on this?
Old 17th September 2021, 07:52   #32
BHPian

Re: DIY: Installing an Auto-Dimming IRVM and Digital Clock & Temperature Display in my Maruti Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Zombie~ View Post
Yup, pin 11 does it. Can't get 5v from pin 10 in E46. Any pointers on this?
Very surprised you aren't getting 5V from pin 10 in E46. Are you sure that Is the pin 10 in E46? Could be you're looking at the wrong pin ?

MOD NOTE : Please do not try to promote your any social media handles / page, this will result in suspension of your account.

Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th September 2021 at 08:57. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 17th September 2021, 21:09   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtoncastelino View Post
Very surprised you aren't getting 5V from pin 10 in E46. Are you sure that Is the pin 10 in E46? Could be you're looking at the wrong pin ?

MOD NOTE : Please do not try to promote your any social media handles / page, this will result in suspension of your account.

Thanks.
Hello! I just rechecked the pin slots again. No voltage in pin no 10. Pin no 9 was 6v with ignition on.
Old 18th September 2021, 06:57   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Hello! I just rechecked the pin slots again. No voltage in pin no 10. Pin no 9 was 6v with ignition on.
May I know which variant of swift are you trying this on?
Very very surprised with this situation
Old 18th September 2021, 11:59   #35
BHPian

Quote:
May I know which variant of swift are you trying this on?
Very very surprised with this situation
Swift VDI 2007. I am thinking of getting the BCM, checked. Swapping out BCM is too tedious.
Old 19th September 2021, 10:16   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Swift VDI 2007. I am thinking of getting the BCM, checked. Swapping out BCM is too tedious.
I too wanted to get this done but I found a alternative for this. I had found a SX4 clock from scrap and had checked if it is working. Managed for get it working but couldn't check the temperature gauge because I didn't have a Ambient temperature sensor.

Whilst my family friend was coming from abroad , placed a order from AliExpress for a clock with features such as
  • Clock
  • Inside Temperature
  • Outside temperature
  • Battery voltage

It's a simple clock which has two coin LR41 battery in it to keep track of the time and a positive for ACC (backlight) and another wire for ground. Managed to get it fixed in my clock trim myself with a little jugaad

The only issue is there is no dimming feature in it like the OEM clock. But I've driven about 600kms since I installed it and have never felt it's illumination blinds me when driving at night.

Attaching a link of the AliExpress product

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNlLOSF
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Installing an Auto-Dimming IRVM and Digital Clock & Temperature Display in my Maruti Swift-img_20210915_084909.jpg  

DIY: Installing an Auto-Dimming IRVM and Digital Clock & Temperature Display in my Maruti Swift-img_20210915_164616.jpg  

DIY: Installing an Auto-Dimming IRVM and Digital Clock & Temperature Display in my Maruti Swift-img_20210915_164648.jpg  

Old 20th September 2021, 16:54   #37

First of all, thanks to chiranjitp for providing this DIY.

I went ahead and ordered one for my Creta. Because the cost was low, I decided to go ahead and see if it works or not.

Luckily, it was a perfect fit on Creta. I'll let the pics do the talking below.

* Package arrived in 6 days. With proper packing. And Genuine Honda parts

DIY: Installing an Auto-Dimming IRVM and Digital Clock & Temperature Display in my Maruti Swift-img_0627.jpeg
DIY: Installing an Auto-Dimming IRVM and Digital Clock & Temperature Display in my Maruti Swift-img_0628.jpeg
DIY: Installing an Auto-Dimming IRVM and Digital Clock & Temperature Display in my Maruti Swift-img_0629.jpeg

Back view of the mirror
DIY: Installing an Auto-Dimming IRVM and Digital Clock & Temperature Display in my Maruti Swift-img_0630.jpeg

Comparison with Existing mirror
DIY: Installing an Auto-Dimming IRVM and Digital Clock & Temperature Display in my Maruti Swift-img_0631.jpeg

After fitment in the car:
DIY: Installing an Auto-Dimming IRVM and Digital Clock & Temperature Display in my Maruti Swift-img_0635.jpeg

View from outside.
DIY: Installing an Auto-Dimming IRVM and Digital Clock & Temperature Display in my Maruti Swift-img_0634.jpeg

I utilized the cabin lamp connection to give +12V and ground. I had used it for my previous Auto-dimming setup (had removed as mirror did not work as expected).
Link - DIY: Auto-dimming IRVM for the Hyundai Creta
From that experience i was sure, this goes off after a while when we switch off and lock the car. I will be testing it for a couple of days to see if it works well during a night drive. The connections are temporary till then.

A couple of things to note:
1. The mirror is tad bit smaller than original. Although it does not restrict any view.
2. The mirror arm is smaller than original. So it is placed a little higher. The movement for me was enough to get a good view. Some might find it hard to adjust.
cooljais is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 13:40   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljais View Post
A couple of things to note:
1. The mirror is tad bit smaller than original. Although it does not restrict any view.
2. The mirror arm is smaller than original. So it is placed a little higher. The movement for me was enough to get a good view. Some might find it hard to adjust.
Is the mirror mount on the windshield same as that of Honda? If I recollect, Hyundai and Honda use different mirror mounts. So does the Honda IRVM fit Creta windshield without any modifications?
Old 21st September 2021, 14:14   #39
BHPian

Re: My experience with cheap pre-owned cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
Ecosport has a windshield mounted IRVM (which we want), though I am not sure if the mount design is same. Japanese cars have the same mount, but not sure about the others. If you guys could open the IRVM cover (should slide out) & click photos of the mount, then we can be sure whether the Honda IRVM will fit there or not. The other option would be to remove the stock mount & the stick a compatible mount, but that would mean removal of the OE mount without damaging the windshield.

Wow , I would definitely love to have that HU.
Ecosport has the same mount , hyundai creta also has the same mount. I also have ordered the same IVRM today for my ecosport. I was also searching the IVRM autodim for long time but didn't ordered as all were costing around 5K.
Safari_Beast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 17:09   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Is the mirror mount on the windshield same as that of Honda? If I recollect, Hyundai and Honda use different mirror mounts. So does the Honda IRVM fit Creta windshield without any modifications?
The mounts are a bit different in shape. But this mirror fits perfectly well. No modifications required.
cooljais is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 17:11   #41
BHPian

Members who have completed the installation of this auto-dimming rear view mirror, how are you guys connecting it? I can see that some have soldered the connections. I do have the tools to do this but I am not really at the skill level required to get a clean soldered joint (although the ones I did for my bike four years back still seem to hold good, doing them on a car is beyond my risk appetite).

Is there a connector that we can easily source and use? I am not familiar with all the different types of JST connectors for example (I think that is what we have on the mirror right?).

I do have one of those CCTV camera connectors to which I can connect the negative and positive easily enough. I hope that works out. Placed an order for a mini LP fuse tap too.

Couldn't get Fevitite from the hardware shops close by (are epoxy adhesives not being used anymore?). Finally decided to get Araldite clear from online (though I would have preferred something with like the black color glue people use in art and craft).
Old 23rd September 2021, 23:08   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Members who have completed the installation of this auto-dimming rear view mirror, how are you guys connecting it?

Couldn't get Fevitite from the hardware shops close by (are epoxy adhesives not being used anymore?). Finally decided to get Araldite clear from online (though I would have preferred something with like the black color glue people use in art and craft).
1. What I did when installing on my 2006 swift was manually trying to depin the connector pins, managed to remove the red wire but lost my patience trying to depin the black connector so I lit the connector on fire till I could pull out the pins easily (not recommended). I then had bought few spade connectors ( male and female) and put it upon the red and black wire.insulated the positive connector with sleeve and tape. Attaching photos of the same below.

2. Please do not use araldite Klear. Initially my hardware guy recommended araldite Klear due to it's fast setting and said the mount would hold up the weight of the IRVM , trusted him so stuck the mount with it and left it for a day for curing. The next day I install the IRVM and tighten the screen and BOOM the whole IRVM along with the mount falls onto my hand . I initially thought maybe I tightened the torx screw too much so tried again and it came out again. Ran to my hardware store with a heavy heart and demanded for araldite standard epoxy. He said both the araldite Klear and araldite standard are same , only difference is the setting time. Klear had a setting time of 5 mins where as standard had a setting time of 4 hours. So ran home , mixed the resin and the hardner and stuck the mount properly and taped it from all four sides for support. Drove around for a day and left it like that. Next day installed the mirror and voila ! It's been almost a month and have driven more than 800kms since I have done the DIY and I'm absolutely loving it. Can't believe my 15 year old car has a auto dimming mirror which costs less than 600 rs
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Installing an Auto-Dimming IRVM and Digital Clock & Temperature Display in my Maruti Swift-img_20210830_103432.jpg  

DIY: Installing an Auto-Dimming IRVM and Digital Clock & Temperature Display in my Maruti Swift-img_20210830_103805.jpg  

DIY: Installing an Auto-Dimming IRVM and Digital Clock & Temperature Display in my Maruti Swift-img_20210830_102336.jpg  

Ashtoncastelino is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 23:14   #43
BHPian

Quote:

2. Please do not use araldite Klear.... So ran home , mixed the resin and the hardner and stuck the mount properly and taped it from all four sides for support.
Thanks sir. I assume you finally used Araldite Standard epoxy to get the job done. I actually saw that the seller who had Araldite clear didn't really have a good rating so changed my mind and actually ordered the Araldite standard one.

It should reach me by tomorrow. Still need to get the windshield mount and then I will set to attempt this DIY. Thanks for all the help.
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 23:19   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Thanks sir. I assume you finally used Araldite Standard epoxy to get the job done.

Still need to get the windshield mount and then I will set to attempt this DIY.
No worries at all and yes I did use Araldite standard epoxy.

May I know which vehicle are you trying this mod on ? As for the windshield IRVM mount you should find it easily in MASS or any other windshield repair shops for a small price.

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Old 23rd September 2021, 23:24   #45
BHPian

Quote:
May I know which vehicle are you trying this mod on ? As for the windshield IRVM mount you should find it easily in MASS or any other windshield repair shops for a small price.
2013 Honda City (ANHC). Yep, plan to go around to the near by windshield repair shops and get it.
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks