Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2021, 13:53   #1
BHPian

DIY: Wireless smartphone charger in a Maruti Alto K10

I wanted to have a wireless charger in my Alto and was searching for the same but couldn't find anything promising so decided to do it myself and here is how I did it.

Parts:
Wireless charging coil (10 W, 5V 2Amp)
Car charger
USB Cable
Wires
Double tape
Cutter
Free time

Decided to install above the storage space above glove box.

Step 1: Get the wireless charging kit (800, including shipping)

DIY: Wireless smartphone charger in a Maruti Alto K10-20210917_185820.jpg

Step 2: Gert a Car charger and open it to remove the circuit out, attach wires to positive and negative terminals.

DIY: Wireless smartphone charger in a Maruti Alto K10-20210917_185803.jpg
DIY: Wireless smartphone charger in a Maruti Alto K10-20210917_224900.jpg

Step 3: Remove the Accessory tray (I don't know what is it called, lets call it Accessories Tray)

Make a cut to fit the charging kit in it.
I tried fitting it below the tray directly but the charging was not working so decided to get coils in upper part and keep the circuit part hidden.

To make it flush I used cardboards and after fitting the kit I wrapped the whole thing in Carbon fibre wrap which was unused for last 3 years.

DIY: Wireless smartphone charger in a Maruti Alto K10-20210917_205440.jpg
DIY: Wireless smartphone charger in a Maruti Alto K10-20210917_210521.jpg
DIY: Wireless smartphone charger in a Maruti Alto K10-20210917_210510.jpg
DIY: Wireless smartphone charger in a Maruti Alto K10-20210917_210233.jpg
DIY: Wireless smartphone charger in a Maruti Alto K10-20210917_214442.jpg

Step 4: Stick the charging circuit at a secure place and connect the usb cable

DIY: Wireless smartphone charger in a Maruti Alto K10-20210918_113434.jpg

Step 5: While routing the cable make sure you route it away from the stereo to stop it from creating interference in audio!

DIY: Wireless smartphone charger in a Maruti Alto K10-20210918_114225.jpg

Here are the results

DIY: Wireless smartphone charger in a Maruti Alto K10-img20210918wa0012.jpg

Areas of improvement :
The look n finish of the upper part needs to be upgraded, will use some old purse and cut the leather to make a good looking part which will keep the mobile from sliding while driving and stopping the charging.

Enjoy!!
BikerKeeda is offline   (79) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 08:56   #2
BHPian

Re: DIY: Wireless smartphone charger in a Maruti Alto K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerKeeda View Post
Step 3:
To make it flush I used cardboards and after fitting the kit I wrapped the whole thing in Carbon fibre wrap which was unused for last 3 years.

Attachment 2208438

Step 4: Stick the charging circuit at a secure place and connect the usb cable

Attachment 2208439
Enjoy the feel that you get every time you put the phone in the tray and it shows charging!

But I it's a bit risky to have cardboard piece under the PCB, and also the pads generate heat, so wrap is not a good material IMO. Also, in step 4 image, you have mounted the USB charger PCB onto a metal bracket with hot gun glue underneath to insulate, but still a bit risky to keep it open.
saikarthik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 08:58   #3
BHPian

Impressive dude. How is the charging time btw ? Is it fast enough or does it get the job done? How much time did you need to get the phone upto 50% and what phone are you using?
Old 21st September 2021, 09:57   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikarthik View Post
Enjoy the feel that you get every time you put the phone in the tray and it shows charging!

But I it's a bit risky to have cardboard piece under the PCB, and also the pads generate heat, so wrap is not a good material IMO. Also, in step 4 image, you have mounted the USB charger PCB onto a metal bracket with hot gun glue underneath to insulate, but still a bit risky to keep it open.

Hey! thanks for the information. Heat dissipation needs to be sorted out, the PCB part is separated from cardboard by hot glue, but I never knew that pads also generate heat. will think of something and modify accordingly.

Will keep updating here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorkey View Post
Impressive dude. How is the charging time btw ? Is it fast enough or does it get the job done? How much time did you need to get the phone upto 50% and what phone are you using?

I did not get a chance to see the charging time, will see and update. I have LG G8x ThinkQ.
The charging time will also depend upon the car charger you use to draw power.
I will update as soon as I get chance to test mine.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st September 2021 at 18:53. Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old 21st September 2021, 12:25   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Free time
In absence of time check this out:
https://www.amazon.in/NOYMI-Wireless...ARGING_ADAPTER
akshye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 14:25   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow! Now that is a real "DIY". Lovely idea and thanks for sharing. Wireless charging pads are available at pretty cheap prices now a days; but then, whats the fun in them, eh ?

Slightly off topic but I'm sharing my thought anyway - Since the time I started adding generic electronic circuits (like this) in my cars, that are not specifically automotive grade (and not made to withstand high temperatures in the cabin of a car parked under the Sun), I have started keeping a small fire extinguisher in both my cars. Unreliable nature of these mass produced Chinese electronics coupled with possibilities of rats biting exposed wiring in the worst case causing shorts - has made me a bit paranoid about fire hazards.
Reinhard is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 17:53   #7
BHPian

Quote:
I wanted to have a wireless charger in my Alto
Thanks for the DIY. I really like DIYs especially in cars. Here I have a quick question though. Why can't we directly buy a wireless charging pad and just stick it on to the car and give power from USB? May be like below?
https://www.amazon.in/Dyazo-Wireless...226681&sr=8-19
Am I missing something ?
Salnv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 21:26   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Since the time I started adding generic electronic circuits (like this) in my cars, that are not specifically automotive grade (and not made to withstand high temperatures in the cabin of a car parked under the Sun), I have started keeping a small fire extinguisher in both my cars. Unreliable nature of these mass produced Chinese electronics coupled with possibilities of rats biting exposed wiring in the worst case causing shorts - has made me a bit paranoid about fire hazards.
+1 to this, I do a lot of DIY stuff but this one seems to be risky to do it in the car, all the exposed parts with no proper insulation, usage of cardboard poses a serious fire risk!

Also Make sure not to place metal objects like keys on top of the charging pad, doing so will cause the coils to heat up due to induction and it draws contious power while you may think it is in standby/sleep mode.

Last edited by Naveen_0181 : 21st September 2021 at 21:29.
Naveen_0181 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 00:24   #9
BHPian

Nice DIY , Where from to buy the wireless charging PCB ?
Old 22nd September 2021, 09:37   #10
BHPian

Quote:
I wanted to have a wireless charger in my Alto and was searching for the same but couldn't find anything promising so decided to do it myself and here is how I did it.
Welcome to the forum and what a way to start!! Great going dude, that's one nifty DIY you have done, functional and way too cool!

Cheers!
Trojan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 10:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salnv View Post
Thanks for the DIY. I really like DIYs especially in cars. Here I have a quick question though. Why can't we directly buy a wireless charging pad and just stick it on to the car and give power from USB? May be like below?
https://www.amazon.in/Dyazo-Wireless...226681&sr=8-19
Am I missing something ?
We can definitely do the same however we would need a space to keep it properly in the car, Alto being a small car has very less space for the same, plus keeping the mobile on these pads will be difficult while the car is moving.
Old 22nd September 2021, 10:46   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naveen_0181 View Post
+1 to this, I do a lot of DIY stuff but this one seems to be risky to do it in the car, all the exposed parts with no proper insulation, usage of cardboard poses a serious fire risk!

Also Make sure not to place metal objects like keys on top of the charging pad, doing so will cause the coils to heat up due to induction and it draws contious power while you may think it is in standby/sleep mode.

Crossed my mind after I finished the installation, I will be adding a switch to turn of the charging whenever I wont be using it.

Also, will be exploring how can I make the insulation better, If you have any inputs please share, would love to hear them.
BikerKeeda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 10:50   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASP_73 View Post
Nice DIY , Where from to buy the wireless charging PCB ?
I bought it from Banggood, available on Amazon as well however they are costly if you buy from there, other option would be buying the charging pad and opening it to remove the charging coils. One and the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Welcome to the forum and what a way to start!! Great going dude, that's one nifty DIY you have done, functional and way too cool!

Cheers!
Thank you so much It's great to be a part of Team BHP after so many tries feels good. Overwhelmed with the response received on my first post.
BikerKeeda is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed