Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2021, 19:16   #1
BHPian

Lithium Batteries - DIY or Buy?

As luck would have, my sparsely used 2019 Speed Twin is showing signs of a dull battery. Doesn't always crank and when it does it switches riding modes. I have noticed this happens only when the battery is weak. Each time I plug the battery into my Optimate 1 Duo charger, it seems to be running ok for a few days and then it is back to being dull. Lockdown, WFH and monsoons don't help much either.

I need to start thinking of replacing the battery with something better. I have a couple of choices. Shido LiFePo4 batteries are readily available but are also expensive. They're all 9.1ah equivalent. Meaning they can produce the same cranking amps but not rated the same. Option 2 is to literally build a battery out of 18650 or 32650 or 32700 LiFePo4 cells and a solid BMS. With the huge push on EVs in India, these cells and the BMS are not very difficult neither is it expensive.

Question that I have is - I see videos all over YouTube where they put together the battery. Has anyone here tried it?

I want to make this as compact and light as I possibly can. It could free up some space for a small essentials-only toolkit. I know a LiFePo4 battery DIY is totally possible. Just don't know how to do it yet.
adrena is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 07:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Lithium Batteries - DIY or Buy?

I have done that but you need a control unit to protect from over charging,a fire protection case and in general run a risk higher than regular battery on short circuit with Lithium ion. Lithium phosphate should be considered for this requirement. The advantages are plenty including running a much powerful headlight and accessories. Posting a picture of one I did assemble and use.
Attached Thumbnails
Lithium Batteries - DIY or Buy?-img20211201074445.jpg  

VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 21:49   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrena View Post
Question that I have is - I see videos all over YouTube where they put together the battery. Has anyone here tried it?
Yes, we tried and made a 25 AH lithium-ion battery pack quite successfully. Even though our intended usage was not exactly the same as yours, you can absolutely make one yourself for your particular requirements using our DIY guide in the following link :-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...r-station.html (DIY: Portable Lithium Power Station)

I hope that this works for you
Old 22nd November 2022, 04:19   #4
BHPian

Any update on this?

@adrena: Did you go ahead with this project?

@VW2010: Can you share more details? Did you use BMS?

@Chhanda: Nice job ! Now try making one for the Creta with 38120HP cells.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks