Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2022, 01:49   #1

DIY: Indirect TPMS Retrofit in my Volkswagen Polo GT 6R

DIY: Indirect TPMS Set Button Retrofit

For a while now I had been digging around the internet for a guide on how to install indirect tpms in my polo GT (2016)
After failing to find it anywhere, I decided to make a guide on my own to help anyone else who is trying to replicate the same thing.
My apologies if this guide becomes more pictorial, this retrofit involves a few particular elements which can't be described with words alone.

First off lets understand the difference between Direct and Indirect TPMS

Direct TPMS
-Gives reading of tyre pressure of all the tyres at all times using sensors in the valve stem.
-Accurate tyre pressures are displayed in the MFD or Infotainment Screen.

Indirect TPMS
-Monitors rotational speed of each wheel and sends an error if any wheel is spinning faster than others, which would happen if the said wheel has lost pressure hence reduced circumference making it spin faster.
-It only warns the driver for an under inflated tyre, without the indication of which one it could be.
-It does not Monitor Tyre pressure, but rather the speed at which each wheel is rotating.

Requirements for Direct and Indirect TPMS In Polo 6R
To be able to run Direct TPMS in Polo, you need a Maxidot cluster and BCM Max Before the car can accept any hardware of direct TPMS.

To be able to run indirect TPMS in Polo, you need to have ESP and TCS Off button.
This comes stock with automatic Polos, but some Manual Polos have been retrofitted with ESP and TCS Off button as well so they can run this system too.

Indirect TPMS Kit:
-Set Button
-Wiring harness

DIY: Indirect TPMS Retrofit in my Volkswagen Polo GT 6R-whatsapp-image-20220210-8.33.17-pm.jpeg
DIY: Indirect TPMS Retrofit in my Volkswagen Polo GT 6R-whatsapp-image-20220211-1.25.30-am.jpeg

Wiring harness has a 3 pin connector in itself which accepts the pins from ‘tcs off’ button and splits the signal so it can feed power to both, ‘set’ and ‘tcs off’ button without tapping or splicing any wires
And one of the wires (Red #4) runs into slot #12 of the ABS Connector

The length of the harness is really short as it is originally for a mk5/mk6 jetta/Golf where the buttons are in close proximity.
But for this retrofit in the Polo, the ‘set’ button resides in the glove box while the ‘tcs off’ button is located above the head unit.
So something has to be done for the length of this harness which we shall discuss soon.

As it was originally intended to be used for mk5/mk6 jettas/Golfs, the pin that the ABS connector accepts has to be replaced with the correct one as well.

DIY: Indirect TPMS Retrofit in my Volkswagen Polo GT 6R-img_20220113_171346__01-edit.jpg

Wiring Options
So to wire this into your Polo you have a choice,
Either ignore the split of the harness and hot wire the connector of the switch.
Or do what I did and elongate the harness to wire it as it was intended to be wired in the first place.
That is by using the signal from ‘tcs off’ button

And unless you really hate hot wiring things in your vehicle I would recommend hot wiring this one as reaching the ‘tcs off’ button is a headache unfortunately.

So with an overview of the procedure, lets start from the beginning:

I extended my harness by about a meter, replaced the Pin that runs to the ABS Connector with the correct one and took the now ready harness to my car

DIY: Indirect TPMS Retrofit in my Volkswagen Polo GT 6R-img_20220114_210234.jpg

I started with breaking open the slot where the ‘set’ button was going to sit in the glove box, I was most excited about this part as everything that came next was not exactly going to be easy

DIY: Indirect TPMS Retrofit in my Volkswagen Polo GT 6R-img_20220114_212915.jpg

I loosened the glove box slightly to give me easy access to route the wires
I routed the harness towards the ‘tcs off’ button.

To access the connector behind the ‘tcs off’ button, you need to remove the head unit, climate control and the bracket that holds it all in place held in by 6 more screws.

DIY: Indirect TPMS Retrofit in my Volkswagen Polo GT 6R-img_20220114_223606-edit.jpg

2 small black arrows show the screws for climate control, these screws are slightly different as they have a blunt end, unlike all the other screws in this area which have a sharp end. (Do not mix them up with the rest).

Removing it all, you can finally pull out the ac vents and the line of buttons with them
After disconnecting the connector behind the 'tcs off' button, you need to pull out this black block that holds the crimps in place

DIY: Indirect TPMS Retrofit in my Volkswagen Polo GT 6R-img_20220114_215025-edit.jpg

Using this information, you can easily route them correctly to make the ‘set’ button work properly

'TCS Off' button black block
3- illumination
4- power
6 - ground

'set' button connector
grey- illumination
black- power
brown- ground

To remove the crimps from the block, you need to push down on the tabs twice in 2 different stages while having slight tension on the wire to pull it outwards

DIY: Indirect TPMS Retrofit in my Volkswagen Polo GT 6R-img_20220114_221637-edit.jpg

DIY: Indirect TPMS Retrofit in my Volkswagen Polo GT 6R-img_20220114_223439.jpg

This is how the wires were connected in the green connector of the harness

The wires removed from the ‘tcs off’ button were put back In as well from the harness of ‘set’ button

Grey(illumination) went in Slot 3 of black block (of ‘tcs off’ button)
Black(Power) went in slot 4
Brown(Ground) Went in Slot 6

The functioning of ‘tcs off’ was tested and it was working perfectly!
Everything in the interior was put back together, Red(#4) Wire from the harness was routed behind the head unit, into the driver footwell and through the firewall through the teardrop grommet

This red wire needs to run to slot #12 of the ABS Connector

Opening the ABS Connector
To open the ABS Connector, you need to push the red tab on it, out of the way
Lift the black lever while slowly pulling out the connector

DIY: Indirect TPMS Retrofit in my Volkswagen Polo GT 6R-img_20220119_234657-edit.jpg
DIY: Indirect TPMS Retrofit in my Volkswagen Polo GT 6R-img_20220119_234733.jpg

To insert the crimp in place, we need to remove the plastic case on top which protects all the wires.
The plastic case needs to pushed outwards from the inside to free it from two locks on one side and lifted up

DIY: Indirect TPMS Retrofit in my Volkswagen Polo GT 6R-img_20220119_234759-edit.jpg
DIY: Indirect TPMS Retrofit in my Volkswagen Polo GT 6R-img_20220119_234928.jpg
DIY: Indirect TPMS Retrofit in my Volkswagen Polo GT 6R-img_20220119_235002.jpg

Every connector has a purple lock holding the crimps in place, the purple lock was pushed out of the way, white rubber seal was removed with a pin, the abs connector was ready to accept the crimp

DIY: Indirect TPMS Retrofit in my Volkswagen Polo GT 6R-img_20220119_235108-edit.jpg

The crimp was pushed into the slot #12 and locked with the purple lock.

Name:  IMG20220115WA0000 Edit.jpg
Views: 2034
Size:  165.0 KB

Mistakes Made:
-I did not route the wire behind the ABS lines before insetting it in the connector (I later had to introduce a cut in it to route it properly)
-I forgot to lock the crimps with purple lock at first, unless you lock it, the ABS connector won’t go in, I was stuck here clueless for solid 5 minutes before realising my very dumb mistake
-I did not disconnect the battery(just removed the key from ignition) and I was greeted with abs errors during my first scan after this retrofit. Please disconnect the battery while performing this retrofit

Be Careful of:
While trying to put the abs connector back in, you might need to use a lot of force to pull the tab to lock it In place, for leverage on your palm you would instinctively want to use something and there are abs lines nearby, stay away from those as they’re fragile and ruining one line would not just be fatal but very expensive as well

VCDS Coding:

With the hard part taken care of, now comes coding
17-Instruments> Coding> long coding Helper >
there will be a bit reading 'Tpms active/installed'
tick that on

then in 03-ABS Brakes
07-coding>long coding > L.code2>
Last Byte (17) Activate Bit 0

These are the two modules you need to code, after coding it, kill the ignition, give it ignition again and you should notice the TPMS light in your cluster stay on with rest of the warning lights and vanish as well.

DIY: Indirect TPMS Retrofit in my Volkswagen Polo GT 6R-img_20220115_131652.jpg

-Clicking the 'set' button should make the TPMS light glow up in the cluster

-long Pressing the SET button would reset the values and there will be an audible confirmation to confirm that the values have been reset

At this point, let the ABS learn.
drive for 50 or so KMs (More if possible) before testing it.
I drove for one full day after resetting the values and came back next day to deflate one tyre.
I chose to deflate a rear tyre, as those go un noticed easily, front tyres give a lot of signals and feedback when they're low in pressure.

DIY: Indirect TPMS Retrofit in my Volkswagen Polo GT 6R-img_20220116_152610.jpg

I must have deflated it down to 15 psi, that is a major difference but looking at the tyre one can easily miss the flat spot and drive away without raising any alarms.

DIY: Indirect TPMS Retrofit in my Volkswagen Polo GT 6R-img_20220116_152741.jpg

the nearest petrol pump is less than 1 km from my house, i took the longer route to get there, hoping the TPMS light would come up

within the first 800m, the amber glow of TPMS light popped up with an audible chime, i have never been happier hearing that sound and seeing an amber glow shine in front of my eyes.

I was very happy with how quickly it caught the difference in circumference, but that could be due to the high pressure drop, I had introduced a huge pressure drop and it was easier for the system to recognise a difference in circumference.

DIY: Indirect TPMS Retrofit in my Volkswagen Polo GT 6R-img_20220116_152956.jpg

Happy with the system's functioning, I was ready to get rid of this error from my dash.
I headed to the petrol pump right then, waited in the queue to get nitrogen filled back in my tyres.

DIY: Indirect TPMS Retrofit in my Volkswagen Polo GT 6R-img_20220116_153928.jpg

Just getting the air filled won't make the error vanish however, for this very reason we did the hard work of installing the 'set' button.

DIY: Indirect TPMS Retrofit in my Volkswagen Polo GT 6R-img_20220116_154320.jpg

Long press the set button to command the ABS to reset the values and start learning the circumference again.

DIY: Indirect TPMS Retrofit in my Volkswagen Polo GT 6R-img_20220116_154342.jpg

You will have an error free cluster and an Indirect TPMS working for you, monitoring your tyres for you at all times!

This was my first time working with ABS Connector, i have had experience with working on cars for a while now, but this retrofit is something i would not recommend a newbie to perform.
ABS and it's functionality is highly crucial and mistakes made can be expensive.
That said, this should not be very difficult for a daily wrencher or an FNG to perform. (Perform it at your own risk)
I had been looking for technical information on this retrofit after i got hold of this kit, so i could install it in my car, i could not find much information for my Polo 6R, maybe because it is not a very common or exciting retrofit.
I am hoping this guide will be useful to anyone who wishes to replicate this and i hope the readers learnt something new from this guide

Last edited by prerak.kataria : 11th February 2022 at 01:46.
prerak.kataria is offline   (60) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 07:41   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY: Indirect TPMS Retrofit in my Volkswagen Polo GT 6R

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 10:36   #3
BHPian

When an error light makes you smile, you know it's a post worth reading . That was a very thorough post. I'm looking forward to seeing more of that.red.4771 on the forum.

Cheers.
Fateh Salim is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 11:45   #4
BHPian

Finally the 4771 is on Team-BHP and your DIYs for Polo are really a learning curve for anyone with a VAG and even a noob can understand what's what with the car. Keep the mods coming buddy. I'm excited to see all the mods you have done so far on that.red.4771.

Congrats on entering into Team BHP!
jithin23 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 17:32   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerak.kataria View Post
I am hoping this guide will be useful to anyone who wishes to replicate this and i hope the readers learnt something new from this guide
Hi Prerak. Welcome to the forum, and thank you for this very helpful DIY guide.

Just a couple of queries and suggestions:
  1. Where did you source the SET button and wiring harness from? This information is useful for forum members looking to execute this DIY.
  2. You have uploaded a lot of useful pictures, but there are none showing the location of the ABS module and the routing of the wire from the TCS Off button to the ABS module. Please consider adding them as well.
TheLizardKing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 18:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the forum. Nice to see another member from my hometown. Hoping to spot your 4771 someday when I am home.

Quote:
and i hope the readers learnt something new from this guide
Though there is no VAG in our family but this was an interesting read. Should be very useful for those who want to have this without having to install sensors in tyres.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 18:36   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
Finally the 4771 is on Team-BHP and your DIYs for Polo are really a learning curve for anyone with a VAG and even a noob can understand what's what with the car. Keep the mods coming buddy. I'm excited to see all the mods you have done so far on that.red.4771.

Congrats on entering into Team BHP!
Haha, Thank you so much!
Yes, i aim to cover every mod done on this little nugget of mine, stay tuned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Hi Prerak. Welcome to the forum, and thank you for this very helpful DIY guide.

Just a couple of queries and suggestions:
  1. Where did you source the SET button and wiring harness from? This information is useful for forum members looking to execute this DIY.
  2. You have uploaded a lot of useful pictures, but there are none showing the location of the ABS module and the routing of the wire from the TCS Off button to the ABS module. Please consider adding them as well.
Hey, Any retrofit shop should be able to source this kit for you in the form i got it, further modifications will need to be done by your side in most cases.

Oh yes, my apologies for skipping that part, ABS Pump is located behind the air box, under the ECU for our cars, the wire was routed out of the famous teardrop grommet which us automatic owners are blessed to have as there it no clutch in our cars.
The teardrop Grommet enters straight in the driver's footwell and is hard to miss from the outside as well, hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Welcome to the forum. Nice to see another member from my hometown. Hoping to spot your 4771 someday when I am home.

Though there is no VAG in our family but this was an interesting read. Should be very useful for those who want to have this without having to install sensors in tyres.
Thank you so much for your kind words
Hehe yes, you'll often find me out on the roads of CH01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fateh Salim View Post
When an error light makes you smile, you know it's a post worth reading . That was a very thorough post. I'm looking forward to seeing more of that.red.4771 on the forum.

Cheers.
Haha Yes, this is the first time an error light has brought a huge smile on my face, all the effort of fighting with the ABS Connector was worth it as soon as i saw the light and heard the error chime
Yup, i will be uploading a lot more about My Red 4771
prerak.kataria is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 08:16   #8
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Hi Prerak. Good to see you become a part of the forum and this was a great DIY.

P.s I'm the guy who keeps pestering you about paddle shifters on instagram
Old 9th April 2022, 11:48   #9
BHPian

So I managed to procure a kit. I have one question though, about why the harness is designed the way it is. The signal is split at the TPMS SET button end. So the TPMS and TCS buttons are actually in series.

Usually, we would split at the source (TCS input) and both would be in parallel. With the series setup, I take the signal from TCS to TPMS and then again all the way back.

Btw, for others attempting this DIY and wondering where to source PVC coated 22AWG wire from, it is available in two colors (black and red) at robu.in.
Old 21st June 2022, 22:47   #10

Quote:
[h3]DIY: Indirect TPMS Set Button Retrofit...
Are there any good VAG retrofitters in delhi? I'm looking to get my reverse parking camera upgraded to the Q8 highline one for my Octavia 5E

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 22nd June 2022 at 00:27. Reason: trimmed quote

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks