Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2022, 21:24   #1
BHPian

Ford EcoSport Extreme Modifications | SYNC3 upgrade and Ford's platform potential

Hello all, happy to introduce my mod here, I am IdumbaKumar,

This was my old mod in fact a late post. Yet, I had spent a lot of time based on my experience to make this mod work fully. I spend a lot of time on feasibility study. Every single work came from my professional experience.

Background: I have some knowledge of Ford's platform and architectures. Most of my work experience came from Ford projects. When a need came for a car, I purchase a ford Ecosport 2013 - a first batch Ecosport. As I was working in the same infotainment and cluster platforms, it was indeed a proud moment for me to use what I was in the part of the development.
Back to topic, I am pretty sure Sync3 can be upgraded from the existing Sync1 system so was started procuring parts nevertheless its a failure or success . I am always inclined towards stock system as I have tested and used the Sync3 setups during my job. so there's no 2nd thought for me. it was actually a fun doing this conversion.

since there are no readymade parts or mounts available either from any other ford car or in from aftermarket, I had to go with custom made mounts, Wiring Harness, and parts leveraged from other compatible ford car which are not available India. so I had to import parts. Sync3 was not introduced in India as well during that time.

Summary of this upgrade
1. Sync1 non touch screen system to Sync3 Touch screen with apple car play and Android Auto ( the one comes in latest sports Variant)
2. It can display all the existing vehicle related warnings and notifications.
3. Ford's build in Navigation.
4. Reverse camera
5. Emergency call assist, it will continue to work same
6. 8 inch touch screen
7. Build in Video Player ( This is an another Mod)

On top of it, I had my own build hardware Arduino board that's completely work with the vehicle system inputs via CAN. i had to spend lot of my night times to bring up the hardware and write the software to test it single handedly, purely from my work experience and interest.
I initially used an Arduino Uno, but the processing power was insufficient so revised the hardware to Due as it has faster clock and Dual CAN capabilities.
for my next projects I will be using Teensy as its so compact yet very capable.

1.360 View camera: Rear, Front, two side cameras in the mirror.
2. Cheap Ambient light with 7 colors. integrated and colors can be chosen from the sync3 settings itself.

Since it took more time, poured lot of efforts, I couldn't make this post with complete details to make this as a Detailed DIY guide for others please bear with that.

How it looks after installation:
Ford EcoSport Extreme Modifications | SYNC3 upgrade and Ford's platform potential-photostudio_1598490254664.jpg

Ford EcoSport Extreme Modifications | SYNC3 upgrade and Ford's platform potential-img_20210528_213718_829.jpg

Ford EcoSport Extreme Modifications | SYNC3 upgrade and Ford's platform potential-img20200430wa0015.jpg

Ford EcoSport Extreme Modifications | SYNC3 upgrade and Ford's platform potential-img20200430wa0016.jpg

Ford EcoSport Extreme Modifications | SYNC3 upgrade and Ford's platform potential-20200715_173936.jpg

Some photos from the conversion

Ford EcoSport Extreme Modifications | SYNC3 upgrade and Ford's platform potential-img20200426wa0004.jpg

Ford EcoSport Extreme Modifications | SYNC3 upgrade and Ford's platform potential-img20200430wa0019.jpg

Ford EcoSport Extreme Modifications | SYNC3 upgrade and Ford's platform potential-img20200501wa0019.jpg

Ford EcoSport Extreme Modifications | SYNC3 upgrade and Ford's platform potential-img20200501wa0020.jpg

customized Harness:
Ford EcoSport Extreme Modifications | SYNC3 upgrade and Ford's platform potential-img20200430wa0017.jpg

Some pics from 360 Degree view camera

The camera control module on CAN: build by me from scratch, Same module handles the ambient lighting so its another processing unit capable of doing multiple operations.

Ford EcoSport Extreme Modifications | SYNC3 upgrade and Ford's platform potential-ehe.jpg
Ford EcoSport Extreme Modifications | SYNC3 upgrade and Ford's platform potential-eje.jpg

Ford EcoSport Extreme Modifications | SYNC3 upgrade and Ford's platform potential-20210109_182705.jpg

Ford EcoSport Extreme Modifications | SYNC3 upgrade and Ford's platform potential-20210214_235307-1jr.jpg

Ford EcoSport Extreme Modifications | SYNC3 upgrade and Ford's platform potential-20210517_075648.jpg

360 camera in Action:

Ambinet lighting:
The same controller used to integrate the ambient lighting into the Sync3 system. the colors can be controlled from the settings itself.
ambient light in action.

And this is presence outside.
All mods by done by myself including the Paint jobs, Bronco Logo and the Grill.

Ford EcoSport Extreme Modifications | SYNC3 upgrade and Ford's platform potential-20210322_175712.jpg

As the parts procured from various countries and the panel and harness are made by me. not sure of the exact cost.

I have done lot of mods very long back from 2013 to 2021 models. due to my profession and personal commitments could post it here. below are

Pre-Face lift model 2013- 2017
1. UK ford 4.2 infotainment display with Reverse camera
2. Cruise Control
3. Morimoto Headlight upgrade with Matrix DRL.
4. Auto folding mirror
5. Shark fin antenna from ford Edge

Below mods were left on the air as I sold my preface lift and switched to Facelift model later
1. Adaptive headlamps , LED arrays that shifts based on the steering angle.
2. On demand camera view
3. TPMS on Sync3 display

Facelift model: 2017-2021
Facelift model's architecture gives more opportunities for the upgrade the preface lift due its nature of compatibility and availability of parts from other Ford's market. below are the mode done and to be planed.

1. Fly Audio to Sync3 upgrade
2. Sync 3 software mods, and F-Mods(was part of this team from the start)
2. Cruise Control and Speed limiter
3. Tire pressure monitoring.
4. Blind Spot System
5. Fully digital Cockpit from Escape/Kuga/Focus/Puma
6. Focus Flat bottom Steering
7. St line cluster from UK
8. Shark fine antenna from Escape
9. Sync4 ( almost done, working on custom gateway with teensy)

Below are currently in the works, Modules Procurements done already, and finding my sweet time for implementing them.
6. Front camera for ADAS, TSR,
7. Adaptive Cruise control
8. Lane keep assist and Lane departure warning.
9. B&O sound system.
10. 12 channel parking assistance with auto park assist
11. Auto Stop Start.
12. Adaptive LED light. have to leverage from some other siblings

I will try to make separate detailed post as and when I get time for the above said mods and to make them as DIY as possible.

My works and passion is not just limited to Ecosport. I also did possible mods on other models such as Figo and aspire family and Endeavour as well. will be posting as and when i get time. Thank you for spending your time checking my post.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd August 2022 at 08:22.
jhenu is offline   (94) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 22:21   #2
BHPian

re: Ford EcoSport Extreme Modifications | SYNC3 upgrade and Ford's platform potential

The ecosport front looks great in black. I have see first generation ecosport with similar after market ICE system but camera system looked really a job well done.
As a Ford Endeavour owner, will eagerly wait for surround camera upgrade. Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 11:22   #3
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Extreme Modifications | SYNC3 upgrade and Ford's platform potential

Congratulations on pulling off such huge retrofits. I know it's no easy job even though you're from the backend team. If possible do make detailed DIY guides to help others who are interested in retrofits.
duker2997 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 12:32   #4

Re: Ford EcoSport Extreme Modifications | SYNC3 upgrade and Ford's platform potential

Hi, pretty impressed with what you have done. I have been looking to upgrade my Sync2 to Sync3 on my Ford Endeavour. Do you think this is possible?
parthi.dorai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 13:22   #5
BHPian

This is amazing!! Can you post more technical details about camera control unit? is it Arduino based?
techcoze is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 15:08   #6
BHPian

Amazing and rigorous work. Great job. Love what you have done. ��
Old 23rd August 2022, 15:14   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhenu View Post

My works and passion is not just limited to Ecosport. I also did possible mods on other models such as Figo and aspire family and Endeavour as well. will be posting as and when i get time. Thank you for spending your time checking my post.
Hi Kumar, your mods have always amazed me.Hope that you would soon realease cruise control mod in BS4 TdCI Freestyle.
Old 23rd August 2022, 16:16   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by duker2997 View Post
Congratulations on pulling off such huge retrofits. I know it's no easy job even though you're from the backend team. If possible do make detailed DIY guides to help others who are interested in retrofits.
He has some crazy mods done and when I was in touch with him for video mod, it was through emmc reader.

Now the mod implementations are quite easy as there are detailed YouTube videos on how to unlock sync 3 and a lot of content on Forscan and UCDS.

For sync 3 jailbreak all you need is CyanLabs and follow this video to the T. You can press the power button and forward button in sync 3 to do a quick reset.

You can check, Satya's(nightraven), mine or Naveen's pages for more detailed description on almost all the DIYs that Kumar has mentioned above

Quote:
Originally Posted by parthi.dorai View Post
Hi, pretty impressed with what you have done. I have been looking to upgrade my Sync2 to Sync3 on my Ford Endeavour. Do you think this is possible?
It's possible Parthi, a lot of conversion kits are readily available in Thailand, USA, Europe and Australia specifically for Endeavor (Everest in international markets). Only time, resources and money is the constraint for this. Several Everest forums have this done in detail.

I'll share one eBay link for reference.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/393313846841

Hope this helps
jithin23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 17:18   #9
BHPian

Hi @Jhenu, can you tell me where did you source the Sync3 infotainment and other stuff. I am in the process of selecting the android stuff available locally for Sync1 replacement in my 2015 ecosport. Any help/guidance is really valuable.
Old 23rd August 2022, 19:54   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parthi.dorai View Post
Yes its definitely possible in fact its not complex as Sync1 to Sync3. sorry i missed to mention that in my list, there are online kits which is very difficult to procure from outside India and on the expensive side as well. since i have the complete technical background i most of the time buy the parts as raw as possible, i don't rely on the readymade parts. i can surely help you on the fully functional upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vennarbank View Post
Hi @Jhenu, can you tell me where did you source the Sync3 infotainment and other stuff. I am in the process of selecting the android stuff available locally for Sync1 replacement in my 2015 ecosport. Any help/guidance is really valuable.
As i mentioned, for Prefacelift ecosport the parts needs to be customized, there are some difficulties fitting the parts meeting the safety standards and aesthetics. mainly fitting the switch and the screen is the tuff job. i had plan to update the display to a slimmer look like the one from focus/ecosport. but that was held on. i will surely help whatever possible from my side. but this setup defenitely going to cost more than Sony or blapunkt systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by duker2997 View Post
Sure defenitely whenever possible I will make one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
This is amazing!! Can you post more technical details about camera control unit? is it Arduino based?
its two part
1. Hardware: Arduino Due combined with CAN transceivers , Multiplexers/ solid state relay, and also Ambient light IR TX and RX unit.
2. software : The Arduino code is working as a gateway Over CAN channels to take the vehicle multiple CAN and Turn indicator events to decide when to switch the camera and turn on the display. also it control the Ambient lights by decoding the CAN Data from the Sync3 unit based on different events and conditions..
i have customized the software to my own needs. the same processing unit can be used for reading the Tire pressure information and feed the sync3 display. I Designed this HW thinking of covering more future upgrades that are in the pipeline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshm619 View Post
Hi Kumar, your mods have always amazed me.Hope that you would soon realease cruise control mod in BS4 TdCI Freestyle.
———————
Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Axe77 : 24th August 2022 at 09:20. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
jhenu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 20:39   #11
BHPian

This is so amazing ! It will give fresh lease of life to this timeless beauty. Sync 1 was cool when it launched and Sync 3 became the standard when Ford launched the same in facelifted models. I really like the 360 cameras. I wish I was technical enough to replicate the same on my 2014 Ecosport ! Rated a well deserving 5 *****
Samfromindia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 23:24   #12

Quote:

Please also post your Figo/aspire/freestyle mods too, such as that cruise control in Figo diesel. These will be quite useful as cruise control is one feature that everyone misses in these cars.
zing007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 23:30   #13

Hi Jhenu
Congratulations on pulling off the conversion from Sync 1 to Sync 3 on your Ecosport. It is no easy task. Hats off to your for your persistence, application of your knowledge and long hours of hard work. Satisfaction is immense when it all finally comes together.

I had similar troubles with my Ford Territory SZ TS, 2014 2.7L V6 TDCI (I primarily live in Australia). The infotainment unit gave up the ghost about two years ago post a battery reconnection ( known issue in various forums) As the Sync1 replacement unit from Ford was quite expensive and Sync2 was not compatible, I replaced it with an aftermarket unit called Kayhan that was a touch screen with navigation (a poor quality Chinese product masquerading as German). It works but I have lost all my steering wheel controls for volume, phone, radio etc but climate control works thank god. Apparently the canbus is faulty and will have to be replaced. Hope to be able to contact you and discuss a solution. There are many ford Territories here from 2011 to 2017 that have this issue and an aftermarket solution would be of great help to many people
Old 24th August 2022, 00:16   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edaks View Post
Hi Jhenu
Congratulations on pulling off the conversion from Sync 1 to Sync 3 on your Ecosport. It is no easy task. Hats off to your for your persistence, application of your knowledge and long hours of hard work. Satisfaction is immense when it all finally comes together.

I had similar troubles with my Ford Territory SZ TS, 2014 2.7L V6 TDCI (I primarily live in Australia). The infotainment unit gave up the ghost about two years ago post a battery reconnection ( known issue in various forums) As the Sync1 replacement unit from Ford was quite expensive and Sync2 was not compatible, I replaced it with an aftermarket unit called Kayhan that was a touch screen with navigation (a poor quality Chinese product masquerading as German). It works but I have lost all my steering wheel controls for volume, phone, radio etc but climate control works thank god. Apparently the canbus is faulty and will have to be replaced. Hope to be able to contact you and discuss a solution. There are many ford Territories here from 2011 to 2017 that have this issue and an aftermarket solution would be of great help to many people
Thank you for your words, I understand that.. a good infotainment gives totally a different experience and makes the driving effortless. There's no replacement works better than stock systems so as sync3 in ford. Pls share with me some pictures of ur dash so that i can try to give some ideas from my side.
jhenu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 09:25   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello all, happy to introduce my mod here, I am IdumbaKumar,

This was my old mod in fact a late post. Yet, I had spent a lot of time based on my experience to make this mod work fully. I spend a lot of time on feasibility study. Every single work came from my professional experience.
Quote:
Fantastic work Kumar. Loved this DIY mod project and the detailed pictoral presentation. Look forward to more such updates from you for the community to learn from.
Axe77 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks