Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2023, 09:24   #16
BHPian

Re: DIY - Door damping for superior sound quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdawiz View Post
I needed 1 and 1/3 of mat each door and two feet of sound absorbent tape each door.
Nice DIY.
I am contemplating taking this up down the line as stage-2 after replacing the A-Star's stock HU with Pioneer MVH-S219BT 1-DIN solely for need of USB.
The stock system has good enough quality as I leave my audiophile self at home - above average by 2009 standards.

Do you have pics of how you used the sound absorbent tape?
Not sure adding butyl damping sheet on the plastic door card around the speaker like you have done will have an impact as these sheets are designed to work on metal surfaces.

Last edited by rajathv8 : 12th April 2023 at 09:29.
rajathv8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 10:31   #17
BHPian

Re: DIY - Door damping for superior sound quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
Nice DIY.

Do you have pics of how you used the sound absorbent tape?
Not sure adding butyl damping sheet on the plastic door card around the speaker like you have done will have an impact as these sheets are designed to work on metal surfaces.
Thanks,

Unfortunately I did not take any picture of sound absorbent tape applied. Nothing special about it. This is also one sided adhesive tape, so applied on top of butyl sheet behind speakers (inner most layer). It sticks well on the aluminum layer of the butyl sheet. This you have to apply with hand without rolling or too much pressure, as rolling over sound absorbent tape would deform it and may not absorb well. Though it is sort of memory foam, it tries to bounce back but not to original shape.

I have not given a thought whether to apply butyl on plastic. It was sticking well then and if you see, I applied very minimum area only the flat and open surfaces. Hope they stick. As long as they stick to a surface, metal or plastic, they supposed to reduce resonance/vibration.
dipdawiz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks