Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2023, 12:26   #1
BHPian

DIY Install: Honda's frameless auto-dimming IRVM in a Tata Tiago

Popular Honda Frameless Auto Dimming IRVM installed Tata Tiago

Detailed post ahead but I bet you’ll not regret reading it.

It all started back in October 2021 when I purchased the TATA Nexon XM(S) variant. My priority has always been safety and as we know this car has a 5-star safety rating. But despite having all the safety features, IRVM offered in XM(S) variant was quite disappointing for me. Even my Maruti Suzuki Wagon-R LXi 2018 model got company-fitted Manual Anti-glare IRVM, whereas to my surprise TATA offered a small-sized Non-Anti Glare IRVM that makes night driving painful as well as dangerous. So, on the very first day when I was driving the car back home after taking the delivery, I realized this IRVM issue. And my search for AntiGlare IRVM started that day itself.

After doing some research, I upgraded to Manual AntiGlare IRVM within a few months which is offered by TATA in Nexon’s top variants. It is a very easy DIY and you can do it at home without needing any tools or technical knowledge. This IRVM is common for all TATA cars and it cost me 830 INR.

I have a video on this you can watch and install one if you want.

For your reference mentioning,
Part Number - 277981100106
Description: ASSY.INNER REAR VIEW MIRROR (ANTI GLARE)

I was pretty satisfied with this Manual AntiGlare IRVM and my night driving became more convenient than before. I would surely recommend everyone reading this post and planning to buy/own a TATA car with a normal IRVM, you must consider upgrading to at least a manual anti-glare IRVM. it will definitely make your night driving safer.

By the time I installed this IRVM in my Nexon, Tata was not offering auto-dimming IRVM in any variant. But in 2022 few variants were launched by Tata in which Auto dimming IRVM was offered.

After which my search for Auto dimming IRVM started and fortunately I got the TATA Auto dimming IRVM Kit for my Nexon. I have done many upgrades to my Nexon, but you wouldn’t believe this is the best accessory I have installed in my Nexon to date. I have a video on TATA Auto-dimming IRVM installation as well. You can check it out.

After realizing the importance of auto-dimming IRVM I started my search again but now it was for my family car Tata Tiago. As Tata’s Auto Dimming IRVM Kit is quite expensive, I started looking for cheaper options.

After doing some thorough research, I got to know about Honda Auto dimming IRVM which was earlier offered for 422 INR only . Yes, you read it right, only 422 INR for an Auto-dimming IRVM . But unfortunately, by the time I started looking for it, it was already very late as its price shot up to a whopping 6704 INR. This is approx. 16x the old price. Part Number: 76400T4RJ11, Description: MIRROR ASSY. RR. VIEW (AUTO DAY/NIGHT)

I am very sure that only after coming into the limelight on Team-BHP, this IRVM caught the attention of Honda. They realized their mistake and thus they revised its price.

Before going further I must tell you there is one more option which I came across i.e. Maruti Suzuki Baleno’s IRVM which costs around 3,950.00 (Part no. 84703M54P00) and its wiring cost is 271 INR (36820M68P30). However, you will not get the mounting which is one of the most important things we require while installing IRVM. If you’re lucky enough that you have the mounting already stuck on the windshield, then you can consider this option.

Now coming back to the point, after exploring all the options Honda IRVM was the one which I liked the most. I was cursing myself why I did not get to know about this earlier. This would have been the most amazing deal of Auto dimming IRVM for just INR 422 that too frameless one.

So without cursing myself more I started looking for people who could have old stock of this auto-dimming IRVM. You won’t believe how many people I had talked to and how many shops in popular auto markets I had visited searching for this. Literally, I have done everything to find this IRVM and finally, I got someone who had a few in stock.

He was a gentleman who helped me in getting this IRVM. He offered me this IRVM for 2499 INR after negotiation. I know this was earlier available at dirt price but even at 2499 it’s not a bad deal.

Even after getting this IRVM, I had to manage the wiring and mounting to install this in Tiago. But If you are fortunate enough to have the below mounting already on the windshield then you just have to take care of the wiring part. Baleno IRVM will also fit on the below mounting directly.

DIY Install: Honda's frameless auto-dimming IRVM in a Tata Tiago-mounting-teambhp.jpeg

In this post, we will find out how to install this Honda Auto dimming frameless IRVM in any car. I will install it in Tata Tiago for your reference.

Note: You can install any brand’s IRVM in any car. There are only two things you have to look for, one is mounting (wedge button) and the second is the IRVM bracket. If you get the correct combination, Bingo you can install in any car.

If you are someone who understands better by watching a video then watch this video

Tools Required
1) Socket set
2) Pry Tools
3) Plier
4) Wire striper
5) Multimeter (optional)
6) Crimping tool
7) Hot Glue Gun (optional)

*Other things* Required
1) Wedge Button (As per your car compatibility; I arranged one for Compatible with Tata)
2) Scotch Lock
3) Fuse Tap with Mini Fuse 5A
4) Cable Tie
5) Auto-Dimming IRVM (obviously)
6) Some Wire to make a harness
7) Insulation Tape

Wiring Diagram

DIY Install: Honda's frameless auto-dimming IRVM in a Tata Tiago-wiring-dig-teambhp.jpeg

Installation Procedure:
1. Remove the original IRVM, In Tata Tiago gently hit the IRVM from the bottom using your fist or mallet to remove it. (same process for all Tata Cars).

2. Now slide the wedge button into the company-fitted mounting on the windshield. Tighten the grub screw a little.

Name:  tbhp mounting.png
Views: 1104
Size:  541.6 KB

3. In Honda frameless IRVM you get 5 wires out of which only three are of use.

4. Red wire is positive. The orange wire is for the reverse signal. Black is negative.

5. I made my own wiring harness using three wires i.e. Black, Red, and Yellow.

6. Now as you know which wire is for what you have to do the wiring. If you have a connector then use it or you can cut off the connector and connect the wire directly.

DIY Install: Honda's frameless auto-dimming IRVM in a Tata Tiago-tbhp-coupler-wire-insertion.png

7. I have done something different. I Inserted the black wire of my wiring harness into the coupler connecting to the black wire from the IRVM. And similarly Inserted the red and yellow wire of my wiring harness into the coupler connecting to the red and orange wire from the IRVM.

8. Using a glue gun, secured the wires in their place. A good reason to use a glue gun is that you can remove the glue again by simply heating it, So if in future I will get the connector I will remove the glue and use the connector.

DIY Install: Honda's frameless auto-dimming IRVM in a Tata Tiago-tbhp-coupler-hot-glue-gun.png

9. Connect a thimble to the black wire of the wiring harness. (Note: You can directly connect the wire to the negative but by using a thimble you ensure a more secure connection.)

DIY Install: Honda's frameless auto-dimming IRVM in a Tata Tiago-tbhp-thimble.png

10. Remove the weather strip/Door seal near A-Pillar.

Name:  tbhp weather.png
Views: 1104
Size:  487.9 KB

11. Gently remove the A-Pillar trim by pulling it out. (Note: If your car has tweeters then make sure you disconnect the tweeter before you completely remove the panel.)

Name:  tbhp a pillar.png
Views: 1096
Size:  424.3 KB

12. Remove the fuse box panel under the steering wheel to get access to the fuse box. You can remove it just by pulling.

DIY Install: Honda's frameless auto-dimming IRVM in a Tata Tiago-tbhp-driving-wheel-panel.png

13. Push down the wiring from the top of the dashboard using the space exposed by removing the A-Pillar trim.

DIY Install: Honda's frameless auto-dimming IRVM in a Tata Tiago-tbhp-pillar-hole.png

14. We will now first fix the IRVM on the mount. Slide the IRVM on the wedge button. (Note: The wedge button might be a little loose. So, tighten the grub screw to fix it.)

DIY Install: Honda's frameless auto-dimming IRVM in a Tata Tiago-tbhp-grub-screw.png

15. Screw in the Torx screw. (Note: Don’t screw it too tight or too loose).

DIY Install: Honda's frameless auto-dimming IRVM in a Tata Tiago-tbhp-torx-screw.png

16. Use a pry tool or fingers to remove the roof lining and push the wire inside it.

17. Insert the other end of the red wire of the wiring harness into the fuse tap. Secure it using a crimping tool.

Name:  tbhp fuse tap.png
Views: 1095
Size:  421.9 KB

18. Using the labelling on the cap remove the fuse F20 (10A) of Ignition Supply and connect the fuse tap.

Name:  tbhp fuse.png
Views: 1101
Size:  655.7 KB

19. Under the fuse box you will find a 56 Pin white connector, you will find a black wire which is for reverse. (As per Auto Dimming IRVM Manual, It is Black wire at Pin No. 22 in Tiago). You can also use a multimeter to check or confirm this wire. Using a scotch lock, connect the yellow wire from the wiring harness to this black wire.

Name:  tbhp scotch lock.png
Views: 1147
Size:  474.5 KB

20. Connect the black wire of the wiring harness to any screw or bolt connected to the body.

Name:  tbhp grounding.png
Views: 1109
Size:  484.5 KB

21. Wrap extra loose wire together with a zip tie.

22. Cut out extra plastic from the zip tie.

23. Put back A-Pillar trim

24. Put back the fuse box panel under the steering wheel.

Enjoy your safe night drives. Hope you find this post useful. If you have some doubts please do comment. Happy DIYing.

Last edited by KarDIY : 12th January 2023 at 12:54.
KarDIY is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 12:36   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: DIY Install: Honda's frameless auto-dimming IRVM in a Tata Tiago

Wonderful DIY of fitting Honda IRVM into Tata cars with the U mounting.

You really need to share how and where to procure the wedge mounting from, which will slide into the stock TATA IRVM mount. Because this is the crucial bit or the most difficult part to procure. Is it available as an accessory from TATA or a spare from TATA? How much is the cost of the wedge mount? This crucial information will make this a complete DIY and a unique one as well!

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 12th January 2023 at 12:56.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 14:55   #3
BHPian

Really great tutorial, thank you and well done!

Please can you share the link of where you were able to get the IRVM at this price? Also does the mount come with the mirror or have to buy it separately?

My Scorpio has this IRVM, please could you advise if the Honda IRVM would fit on the existing mount in the car or if some extra hardware is required?

DIY Install: Honda's frameless auto-dimming IRVM in a Tata Tiago-50427a713cb0226517c310d2096bd0f3.jpg

DIY Install: Honda's frameless auto-dimming IRVM in a Tata Tiago-d4719c2a1c2a6e8083fe942799c5e4ac.jpeg

Thanks!
s4ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 15:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
My Scorpio has this IRVM, please could you advise if the Honda IRVM would fit on the existing mount in the car or if some extra hardware is required?
You’d need a different mount. Existing mount in your car is not compatible with this mirror. You need just the mount for mirror to fit and it is not included with mirror.

You can get this mount from any windshield replacement shops like windshield experts, not an issue.
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 15:29   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
You’d need a different mount. Existing mount in your car is not compatible with this mirror. You need just the mount for mirror to fit and it is not included with mirror.

You can get this mount from any windshield replacement shops like windshield experts, not an issue.
Thanks. Would the mount then have to be glued to the windshield or is an adaptor of sorts available that would fit into the existing mount?
Old 12th January 2023, 15:41   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Would the mount then have to be glued to the windshield or is an adaptor of sorts available that would fit into the existing mount?
Nope. You’ll have to stick it on the windshield. Just make sure you first check where new mirror can be positioned rather than just sticking it where the old mount was.

You can ask the person from where you’ll source this mount to do it for you. It is stuck with butyl sealant, the same stuff with which they seal and stick front windshield. Windshield experts or shops who deal with windshields will help you here.
batish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 17:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Thank you

Quote:
You really need to share how and where to procure the wedge mounting from, which will slide into the stock TATA IRVM mount. Because this is the crucial bit or the most difficult part to procure. Is it available as an accessory from TATA or a spare from TATA? How much is the cost of the wedge mount? This crucial information will make this a complete DIY and a unique one as well!
Wedge button (Mounting) is to be arranged from windshield replacement shop or car scrapyard. Finding it is the most typical task. It is not available separately at Tata service center. But it comes in Auto dimming IRVM Kit offered by Tata as genuine accessories at their showroom. I arranged it from windshield replacement shop for 200 INR.

DIY Install: Honda's frameless auto-dimming IRVM in a Tata Tiago-wedge-button-tata.png
KarDIY is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 18:57   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarDIY View Post
Thank you

Wedge button (Mounting) is to be arranged from windshield replacement shop or car scrapyard. Finding it is the most typical task. It is not available separately at Tata service center. But it comes in Auto dimming IRVM Kit offered by Tata as genuine accessories at their showroom. I arranged it from windshield replacement shop for 200 INR.

Attachment 2405215
Thank you. So, which car model is this wedge from? Did you take the Honda IRVM to windshield shops and did a trial and error to get the right fitting one?

Looking forward to many more DIY's from you

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 12th January 2023 at 18:58.
Old 12th January 2023, 20:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

You really need to share how and where to procure the wedge mounting from, which will slide into the stock TATA IRVM mount. Because this is the crucial bit or the most difficult part to procure!
I have a couple of spare wedge mounts lying with me , you can PM me and will ship them over. 😁

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ashtoncastelino is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 21:50   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Great job, well executed and an excellent detailed description.
Well done, thanks.

Just one thought, whenever working on car electric it might be useful to disconnect the battery, just as a safety precaution.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 19:44   #11
BHPian

Re: DIY Install: Honda's frameless auto-dimming IRVM in a Tata Tiago

I am glad to see this done in your Tiago. Co-incidentally, I too have a Tiago and I am the lucky fella who bought this IRVM for ₹422 and installed it on my Ciaz

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...rs-6500-a.html (Upgraded to an auto-dimming rear view mirror for Rs. 838 | EDIT: Honda hikes price to Rs 6500)

How I wish i bought 100 of these at that time and put it on all cars that don't have auto dimming IRVMs

I want to upgrade my Tiago's IRVM to the same. Can you please connect me to the guy who has the part in stock for ₹2500? You're in Gurugram so I could pick it up the next time I'm there. I come often from Agra.

Last edited by lemedico : 13th January 2023 at 19:46.
Old 13th January 2023, 23:11   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtoncastelino View Post
I have a couple of spare wedge mounts lying with me , you can PM me and will ship them over. 😁
My sincere apologies for misreading the post. I meant to say I have the original Honda IRVM wedge mounts and not the Tata wedge mount converter. Recieved a lot of PM's regarding the same.

DIY Install: Honda's frameless auto-dimming IRVM in a Tata Tiago-screenshot_202301132315512.png

Sorry guys

Last edited by Ashtoncastelino : 13th January 2023 at 23:17.
Ashtoncastelino is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 14:29   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Really great tutorial, thank you and well done!
You're welcome

Quote:
Please can you share the link of where you were able to get the IRVM at this price? Also does the mount come with the mirror or have to buy it separately?
There is no link as it is not available online. Also, you have to manage the mount as it does not comes with the IRVM.

Quote:
Attachment 2405002

Attachment 2405003

Thanks!
You have 2 options,
1. You can install Tata Auto dimming IRVM. It comes with the complete Kit.
2. You can install Honda IRVM but for it you will need the wedge button that will go into the existing mounting. (Same one that I used in my Tiago)
KarDIY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 14:36   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarDIY View Post
Y
You have 2 options,
2. You can install Honda IRVM but for it you will need the wedge button that will go into the existing mounting. (Same one that I used in my Tiago)
Do you mean to say, that if I get this wedge button, I can put it in the existing mount in my car, and then the Honda IRVM will slide into that? So no need to glue any new hardware to the windshield?

And this would be the wedge button I need?

DIY Install: Honda's frameless auto-dimming IRVM in a Tata Tiago-wedge-button-conversion-honda-irvm.jpeg

Where could I get this from?
Old 16th January 2023, 22:42   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Great job, well executed and an excellent detailed description.
Well done, thanks.

Just one thought, whenever working on car electric it might be useful to disconnect the battery, just as a safety precaution.

Jeroen
Thank you. Yes, It is very important step to take care of

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
I am glad to see this done in your Tiago. Co-incidentally, I too have a Tiago and I am the lucky fella who bought this IRVM for ₹422 and installed it on my Ciaz
Oh Great

Quote:
How I wish i bought 100 of these at that time and put it on all cars that don't have auto dimming IRVMs
I guess everyone would be thinking the same

Quote:
I want to upgrade my Tiago's IRVM to the same. Can you please connect me to the guy who has the part in stock for ₹2500? You're in Gurugram so I could pick it up the next time I'm there. I come often from Agra.
Okay. Sure, let me check with the guy if he still has it in stock.

Quote:
Do you mean to say, that if I get this wedge button, I can put it in the existing mount in my car, and then the Honda IRVM will slide into that? So no need to glue any new hardware to the windshield?
Correct.

Quote:
And this would be the wedge button I need?

Attachment 2406897

Where could I get this from?
Yes. You have to arrange it from windshield replacement shop or some car scrapyard. Arranging the wedge button is the hardest part.
KarDIY is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed