Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2008, 17:42   #1

Starlight Roof DIY

Ok, as promised I will now try to give you the DIY on the Starlight Roof. If anything isn't quite clear or if you have any problems doing it yourself, ask!!

When I built mine, it was the first major project on my car and I had no instructions and no help either. It took me freaking 13 hours to accomplish it, but with help and this instruction, you should be able to pull it well under 10 hours.
It is no hard work but it takes time to do all the little stuff like soldering 90 leds to their resistors and then soldering them to the cables. I built the Starlight Roof into an 1999 Opel Astra G but the principle is the same on most cars.

If you wish to only install 9 or 10 leds into your roof, it might be unnecessary to take out the entire roof, just loosen it a bit, but for more, you have to take it out.

Taking out the roof:
1. Take off all paneling from the A, B and C pillars, they usually come off by pulling them more or less gently. The clamps usually do not break, if they should, don't worry, use ducked tape or go and buy some new ones. They hardly cost anything. The paneling of the B-pillar probably won't come off completely because of the safety belt, so just loosen it and pull it away from the roof a little.
2. Take out all the lights. Just use a screw driver and gently pry them out. Remove the cables (pull them off).
3. Peel out the edges of the roof from underneath the rubber seal of the doors. Take your time and do not use a knife or something similar because you could accidently damage the roof. Your fingers are all you need for this.
4. You also need to remove the handholds and the sun visors. This is different in most cars so you might have to figure it out by yourself. In the Astra, there were little pins visible under the rubber seal. After pulling these out with a screw driver, I simply had to pull the handholds and the visors off.

(5.) Should you have a sunshine roof like I do, do not panic, it is simple. You can peel out the edges of the roof like you did around the doors and the console is only held by one screw. It is either hidden behind the light which you took out before or there is a panel which you can take off. Removing the screw will let the console just dangle from the roof. It does not have to be removed completely.

6. The roof now isn't attached to your car anymore and you should be able to gently pull it out of your car through the trunk without damaging it.

This shouldn't take more than 45 minutes.

Starlight Roof:
Latest now you will notice that the roof consists of something similar to pressed cardboard covered with fabric (most cars). This is excellent. It is solid enough for the leds and very easy to work with. If you wish you can cover it with an other kind of fabric before proceeding.
Lay down the roof with the side which will later be seen on the bottom. Mark the spots where you want to have the leds later on. Gently drill the holes into the roof and you should rather make them a bit to small than to big.
Simply sticking leds into these holes looks stupid in the end, so I bought black plastic holders for them on ebay. You just stick these into the hole from underneath and then push in the led from the top until you hear the klick. Before you do this you should have soldered the resistors to the leds and make sure to solder all resistors to either the negative or positive pole of the led.
The easiest way to do it is to use a shunt circuit, that is why I have explained it this way.
Now you need to connect all the cables to the leds. Connect all the negative poles with one cable and all the positive poles with another one. For 90 leds spread out on my entire roof I needed over 11m of cable ( over 33 feet ). You need to make sure that the ends of the cables end at the A-pillar and that there is enough cable left to run it to your ashtray (for example) and connect it to your battery.
Before installing the roof back into your car you have to isolate the poles from one another and from the steel roof in your car. To do so I put a little hot melt adhesive on the leds and every soldered spot. It prevents having a short circuit.
Depending on how many leds you used and how good you are at soldering this will take 2 to 8 hours ^^

Installation:
Put the roof back into your car through the trunk, connect the sunshine roof console, pull the rubber sealing over the edges of the roof, connect the lights, sun visors, handholds and pillars in the same way you took them off. Run the cables to wherever you get your power from. I recommend taking the power directly from the light. That way the Starlight Roof will always go on when you open your door or turn on the normal light switch.
Shouldn't take any longer than 15 minutes.

You will need:

- time
- leds
- screw drivers
- hot melt adhesive
- led holders
- pliers
- soldering iron
- patience

and it will cost you something around 25 Euros ( that is in Germany of course ^^)

And for the fun of it, here is the complete DIY in german (originally posted by me on AutoExtrem.de) :

Quote:
Hierfür sollte man sich sehr viel Zeit und Geduld nehmen, denn es ist mühsame Arbeit, bei der viel feingefühl gefragt ist. Ich selbst habe den Himmel in einen Opel Astra G CC mit Schiebedach eingebaut, doch ist das grundlegene zum basteln bei den meisten Autos gleich.

Wenn ihr nur 8 oder 9 Leds verbauen wollt, reicht es vielleicht wenn ihr den Himmel ein wenig vom Dach löst, aber eigentlich muss er komplett aus dem Auto ausgebaut werden. Damit fangen wir auch an:

Dachhimmel ausbau:
Zuallererst müssen die verkleidungen der A, B und C Säulen abgenommen werden. Diese lassen sich in der Regel mit sanfter Gewalt abziehen. Die Klippse sind in der Regel aus Metall und unkaputtbar, sollten doch andere Klippse dran sein, kann man diese für ein paar Cent beim Autohändler um die Ecke kaufen. Die Verkleidungen der B-Säulen kommen nicht ganz ab wegen den Sicherheitsgurten, das ist aber egal, einfach lösen und baumeln lassen.
Als nächstes alle Innenraumbeleuchtungen aushebeln (schraubenzieher) und die Kabel abziehen. Die Haltegriffe über den Türen müssen auch ab, dazu die Gummidichtung der Tür leicht nach unten drücken und den dann sichtbaren Sicherungsstift der Griffe mit einem klitzekleinen Schraubenzieher herausziehen. Jetzt lassen sich die Griffe einfach abziehen. Auf der Fahrerseite ist in der Regel kein Griff, sonder einfach nur abdeckungen. Diese können einfach abgezogen werden.
Die Sonnenblenden müssen abenfalls ab, auf der einen Seite ( jeweil die nach außen zeigende) muss man die Sichtbare Abdeckung im Plastik heraushebeln und dann das schwarze Metallteil ein wenig biegen und herauspulen. Dies ist sehr nervig, da dieses Teil bombenfest und hartnäckig ist, also ruhig ein wenig Gewalt anwenden, aber Achtung, ihr braucht das Teil noch. Die andere Seite der Sonnenblende löst sich wie die Haltegriffe, bei genauerem hinsehen ist ein Sicherungsstift erkennbar, der herrauszuziehen ist.
**Folgender Teil ist nur für Schiebedächer bei Opel (Astra?) Modellen**
Hat man die vordere Innenraumbeleuchtung abmontiert, werden 2 - 4 Schrauben, je nach Modell, sichtbar. Diese lösen und an der Schiebedachsteuerung ziehen, bis sie mit einem kleinen knacken abgeht. Sie baumelt jetzt an einem Kabelstrang, aber das ist egal, die Kabel sind stabil genug es zu halten, weiter abmontieren ist nicht nötig.
** Schiebedach Teil Ende **
Jetzt ist der Dachhimmel soweit rausgenommen zu werden. Dazu müssen alle Kanten unter den Türdichtungen hervorgepult werden, am besten mit Plastikspachteln aus dem Baumarkt, so werden die Kanten nicht beschädigt (wenn Schiebedach vorhanden, auch da). Jetzt den Dachhimmel in einem Stück durch den Kofferraum herausziehen (wo auch sonst^^). Damit is der Ausbau beendet. Zeitaufwand ca. 30 - 45 Minuten.

Der Sternenhimmel:
Jetzt kommt der harte Teil. Wie ihr bemerkt haben werdet besteht der Dachhimmel aus etwas Pappeähnlichem, das nicht sehr stabil wirkt (Je nach Auto vielleicht doch...). Dieses Material ist für einen Sternenhimmel jedoch bestens geeignet, stabil genug, leicht zu bearbeiten, den Formen des Autos schon angepasst und auf wunsch noch mit anderem Stoff beziehbar. Wem es nicht reicht, der kann einen eigenen Himmel aus MDF Holf basteln, ist jedoch unnötig, macht das Auto schwerer und seeeeeehr viel arbeit.
Jetzt den Dachhimmel mity der später sichtbaren Seite nach unten legen, einen Textmarker nehmen und die Stellen markieren, an denen später Leds sein sollen. Jetzt die Bohrmaschiene nehmen und die Löcher bohren, ich habe dazu einen 8er Holzbohrkopf benutzt, das kommt jedoch auf die Leds an. Am besten ausprobieren und den Bohrkopf erstmal eine Nummer kleiner wählen.
Die Leds einfach so in die Löcher zu stecken sieht gar nicht gut aus, deshalb unbedingt Led Montageringe benutzen. Diese werden einfach von unten in das loch gedrückt, die Led kommt dann von oben und rastet in den Ring ein, das Ganze sitzt dann Bombenfest. Vorhe sollte man natürlich die Widerstände an die Leds gelötet haben, am einfachsten ist alle Leds in Reihe zu schalten.
Jetzt müssen Kabel gezogen werden, ich habe über 10m gebraucht für 90 Leds (ich bin ja auch verrückt^^) einmal alle Minuspole (kurzes Beinchen der Leds) und einmal alle Pluspole der Leds (langes Beinchen) aneinander. Die Enden der beiden Kabel sollten in der A-Säule des Fahrers enden. Vor dem anschließen ist zu beachten das sich nirgendwo Plus und Minus berühren, am besten man spritzt etwas Heißkleber über alle Lötstellen und isoliert so die Kabel und Leds. Ist zwar aufwendig und viel arbeit, dafür aber sicher. Zu guter letzt zur Isolierung gegen die Karosserie alle Kabel und Leds mit einer Schicht dicken Stoffs oder Isolierband oder etwas ähnlichem überdecken und mit Tesa fixieren (ich habe eine Plastikpolsterung verwendet).
Zeitaufwand je nach Anzahl der Leds und geschick: 2 - 8 Stunden

Die Verkabelung
Das ist der einfache Part, es sei denn man möchte irgendeine extravagante Schaltung haben. Am einfachsten und legalsten ist es Plus und Minus mit den entsprechenden Kabeln der Innenraumbeleuchtung zu verbinden, die schon dort in der A-Säule entlanglaufen. Die Kabel sind in der weißen Kabelschiene, die man einfach mit einem Schraubenzieher aufklippsen kann. Damit ist das ganze dann über den Türkontakt geschaltet.
Anders kann man sich dort auch einfach das Dauerplus klauen, Dauermasse vom Karosseriedach oder einem anderen Punkt nehmen und einfach einen Schalter dazwischen bauen. Noch eine Variante ist Dauerplus und Dauerminus des Zigarettenanzünders zu nehmen, aber das ist jedem selbst überlassen.
Zeitaufwand ca. 30 Minuten.

Bitteschön, hiermit habt ihr einen super Sternenhimmel.

Zeitaufwand gesamt 4 – 11 Stunden
Kostenpunkt: 25 - 50 Euro
Benötigtes Werkzeug:
- Schraubenzieher (Schkitz und Kreuzschlitz)
- Bohrmaschine / Akkuschrauber (reicht auch)
- 20m Kabel (für 90 Leds, großzügig berechnet) 0,75mm²
- Leds
- Led Montageringe
- Lötkolben
- Heißkleber / Isoliermatten (oder vergleichbares)
- Zange (Multifunktions-, Kneif-)
- Geduld

TheBrother®
Attached Thumbnails
Starlight Roof DIY-img_2097.jpg  

Starlight Roof DIY-img_2098.jpg  

Starlight Roof DIY-img_2101.jpg  

Starlight Roof DIY-img_2102.jpg  

Starlight Roof DIY-img_2103.jpg  

Starlight Roof DIY-img_2106.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th April 2008 at 18:00. Reason: putting German text in Quotes for better readability :)
Old 17th April 2008, 18:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hahahaha! I love that! It would be awesome to have in my car. With a nice mirror ball in the center. Everything else that would constitute a night club already exists; drinks, music system, drink glasses, wine openers, waitresses.
Old 17th April 2008, 18:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

looks defintely very cute.

good job TheBrother®
Old 17th April 2008, 18:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
drinks, music system, drink glasses, wine openers, waitresses.
Rest assured everything is good except the waitresses.
Old 17th April 2008, 18:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Really cute set up! I would love something like this since my 2 year old is always fighting for driver's seat. 10 hours for this DIY project !!! Very tough to find that much time in one go. First time I see photos of such a set up. Curious to know how many leds are under your roof !!
Old 17th April 2008, 18:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

It looks cute!! My son would love it.

Good job Brother!!
Old 17th April 2008, 18:48   #7

There are exactly 89 leds under my roof and the entire thing has been working perfect since I built it.
My nephew always loves driving in my car (he is 4) and it is quite useful to keep him entertained....

TheBrother®
Old 17th April 2008, 18:56   #8
BHPian

Nice writeup, Thomas. Thanks for sharing

How many LED's are there, btw? Also, am curious to know why you didnt go for white or yellow LED's, if you wanted the inside to look like Stars?
Old 17th April 2008, 19:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

hey thats really good DIY brothe with a R in a circle looks real cool,one thing i really liked about your install is its placed randomly good neatness and please could you post a pic of night???? cheers

Ramie

Last edited by ramie2400 : 17th April 2008 at 19:13.
Old 17th April 2008, 19:26   #10
Team-BHP Support

Awesome. Reminds me of the JBL evil twins with the white LED's on the roof.
Old 17th April 2008, 19:41   #11
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Insane..its the perfect way to keep kids entertained at all times..not to mention some of the members would love to have this setup,especially if they use the back seat more often LOL!
Old 17th April 2008, 19:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

Looks super cool bro. I'm sure its quite an attraction especially in the dark. Must take a while to get used to while driving in the night huh? Arent the LED's too bright and dont they cause any unwanted glare?

Quote:
drinks, music system, drink glasses, wine openers, waitresses.
Now you have to spill the beans on that Ajay baba. How do you manage the waitresses, stewards and lap dancers in your car? Do you have a limo that we arent aware of? Let me guess - The endeavour stretch limo?
Old 17th April 2008, 19:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

Wow, that is a seriously cool mod! What value Resistors did you use ?
And how come the roof looks grey in the first pic, and almost black in the second one

Another starlit roof i saw was done with fibre optics, but it wasnt in a car

Last edited by greenhorn : 17th April 2008 at 20:00.
Old 17th April 2008, 20:21   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hey, nice job! Iv done something similar for my friends car but it was a very crude job due to lack of time and inclination on his part. Few LED's on the roof and about 6 in each of the roof grab handles.

Thanks for reminding me, Iv still got about around 40 blue/white 5mm LED's lying with me
Old 17th April 2008, 20:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... It would be awesome to have in my car. With a nice mirror ball in the center. ... drink glasses, wine openers, waitresses.
Huh? The last we heard you had a cow (given in barter by B) for transportation, with piped refreshments straight from the udders! How did you manage to put a roof on it?

Nice job, Thomas, looks kwool!

Last edited by DerAlte : 17th April 2008 at 20:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks