Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2008, 01:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Confessions:Not all D.I.Y. are success

hello friends i am back but this time not with any DIY but the ill effects of Doing It Yourself,every person in his life gets a chance(s) to learn something of his interestits only how you fast you adopt to do it,when this MODE comes you stop listening to anyone who is a expertise or gives his opinion and suggestion's and blindfold go ahead to achieve your goals.This is my short story with pics on how i got the craze of doing things myself.

DIY factor consist's of many ill-effects like:

1)pains
2)money factor
3)damaging even the best things you have
4)parents abuses and anger over your work mis-done
5)getting hurt with handling wrong type of tools
6)breaking stuff and then regretting over
7)waste of time unless you get success
8)last but not the least "breaking all rules" and many more.

All it started with me when i blew off my brand new 1997 Maruti Omni's wiring system,This happened when i bought some ICE stuff,speakers and Fog-lights.Me and my cousin(absolutely both Dumba$$) started the OMNI work,we fixed the HU (i remember it was a Pioneer 1150 cassette player) by going thru the user-manual,we bought some speaker wires Rs.2/- per meter and laid till the back for the 6 x 9" Pioneer ovals (black cone)installed the Speakers in a box kept under the seat,we had run the speaker cables from the centre of the car,we checked out the phase and wooo it started and sounding great,except we could not figure out why the HU used to get reset when we used to remove the keys.

Then we installed the Fog lights near the bumber with some dirty drilling work with a hand drill and mounted it somehow with messy finishing and connecting the 12v power a grounding wire and a ON/OFF switch.all this work done in about one whole day,ok we both happy souls and switched the fog lights ON and went for a spin in the area to show off the system and new yellow fog lights.

We were happy listening to Rangeela Songs,suddenly we felt that one speaker is switching on/off we came home looked if speakers are gone,couldnt find any problem..OK off for the day work over we both are tired,but on 7th heven and happy.

Next few days we drove the car to college and everything is fine,1 speaker is getting cut in between we showed it to A1 at milan subway he also cant figure it out,later after a few days the speaker was dead,we removed it and checked on the other channel it was working fine,we opened the HU and all the wiring connections were doing fine,we again installed it connected it hoping it starts again automatically,but as days passed it never did,me and my cousin planned to remove the wiring and we saw the speaker cable has shifted under the passenge seat and because ot the sharp edges the wire got cut..we changed it and everything started well and back to normal.

Next major problem,we noticed when ever we used to switch on the fog lamps we used to get some sort of burning smell.One fine evening we were on regular area ride suddenly smoke started coming inside the cabin and i could see the car jerking badly and the wire getting burnt along side pretty fast,I immediately took the Van to the side and switched off the ignition the cabin was full filled with white smoke,few people gathered and staring at us on what has happened.

After the smoke setteled down a little i went inside the car switched off the Fog lights and saw the ignition is dead no response,with this my heart beat was going down as the car was just 25days old,somehow we told dad about it and got a good bashing and smashing on ruining a new car,the car was towed to Sai Service next morning,and evening we came to know the left over Rs.2/- speaker wire which we used for fog lamp melted and power+earthing got together and burnt everything.Now today when i realise i thanks god that the car did not catch fire.

Further more i am going to share all my DIY's pics which some you may find good/some goes to wiered and whacky thread and some you would say why i had to do this and waste monies
Old 13th June 2008, 01:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

D.I.Y. gone BAD / WASTE..!!!!

My 3rd hand zen bought for Rs.1.25L which i started to mod it myself realised that all this should be left with the professionals Purfect for DIY gone BAD / WASTE but learnt alot out of it,i still miss it.
Please dont be stunned by the Green Goblin lights as they were 2 feet House tubelight which i had built a small chalu-circuit fixed on a wooden board to start tube-lights with a car battery,had 6tubelights 1 Front 1rear 2 x 2 on each sides.i wonder some might have seen this car on carter road and bandra many years back.
With this pics you will come to know why i have the 2400 behind the username ramie2400

The story has just begun to be continued......
Attached Thumbnails
Confessions:Not all D.I.Y. are success-photo22.jpg  

Confessions:Not all D.I.Y. are success-photo21.jpg  

Confessions:Not all D.I.Y. are success-photo24.jpg  

Confessions:Not all D.I.Y. are success-photo26.jpg  

Confessions:Not all D.I.Y. are success-photo27.jpg  

Confessions:Not all D.I.Y. are success-photo28.jpg  

Confessions:Not all D.I.Y. are success-photo140.jpg  

Confessions:Not all D.I.Y. are success-photo108.jpg  

Confessions:Not all D.I.Y. are success-photo111.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by ramie2400 : 13th June 2008 at 01:16.
Old 13th June 2008, 01:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread. Reminds me of the old times. We make fewer mistakes now, but nevertheless its still a learning experience every time. As a truly great man once said, anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything...

Cheers!
Old 13th June 2008, 01:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Nice thread. Reminds me of the old times. We make fewer mistakes now, but nevertheless its still a learning experience every time. As a truly great man once said, anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything...

Cheers!
Thanks gunbir paaji,but wait for this thread you will laugh out loud as it goes ahead i was browsing thru old pics and collected all and i am sure it will remind some of us our olden days...

Gunbir sir,Please share you experiences also.if you have any pics.
Old 13th June 2008, 01:28   #5
BHPian

The efforts put in by you are appreciable, and why do call it a waste? idea seemed wacky,and its good for fun.
Old 13th June 2008, 03:06   #6
Team-BHP Support

I sold my kinetic pride purchases for about 18k three years or so later for 2.5k.
Opened every screw, nut and bolt.

When we bought a car, my dad made it clear that me, my toolkit and the car will never appear in the same place at the same time.

But somehow that has never stopped me.
And yes I did once cause a small fire in that car as well.

Dad stopped telling me anything after he knew that I had drivven him in the car for about 20 kms without functioning brakes. (smiley quota exhausted)
Old 13th June 2008, 07:13   #7
BHPian

D.I.Y. is all about enthusiasm! Period. It's the attitude that matters to enthusiasts & one learns as one goes along...via mistakes & successes...the experience & memories are priceless & at the end of the day that is what matters the most.
Old 13th June 2008, 08:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

DIY is all about making mistake and learning from them i love the feeling i get by looking at a DIY when its done just love the feeling of doing something that i thought was impossible to do for me

i like the effort put in the zen and courage it took to cut the bumpers

Last edited by manikjeet : 13th June 2008 at 08:37.
Old 13th June 2008, 09:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Goodmorning guys.thanks manikjeet but to tell you very frenkly it was a pain cutting the front bumpers without any prior design or vision in mind I somehow got the bumpers down from the car and started cutting with a Hacksaw-blade,As the blade was cutting along a wierd and whacky unfinished job was getting generated,one fine day the entire mesh along with the cut-shot bumper came out as it stuck to some autoricksha.lolz and what i see on road all the efforts came down in just a fraction of a second i was soo angry looking at that and the autowallah just flew off,I was collecting all the bumper/mesh parts on the road put it inside the car and off to home,after a few weeks i removed everything and decided to do something which looks good and decent...So whats next I will paint my car myself with a friends help who used to own a garage biggest mistake ever made have a look.I even took a loan of about 7k from mom to put new alloys and rubber,got the skirts and installed it,front and rear skirts were reveted to the bumper and the sides were blted on the body,got 5k for the old secondhand rims.
Attached Thumbnails
Confessions:Not all D.I.Y. are success-photo3601.jpg  

Confessions:Not all D.I.Y. are success-photo4101.jpg  

Confessions:Not all D.I.Y. are success-0820_142931.jpg  

Confessions:Not all D.I.Y. are success-0820_142953.jpg  

Confessions:Not all D.I.Y. are success-0820_143017.jpg  

Confessions:Not all D.I.Y. are success-0820_143052.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 13th June 2008, 09:59   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
DIY is all about making mistake and learning from them i love the feeling i get by looking at a DIY when its done just love the feeling of doing something that i thought was impossible to do for me
i like the effort put in the zen and courage it took to cut the bumpers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
D.I.Y. is all about enthusiasm! Period. It's the attitude that matters to enthusiasts & one learns as one goes along...via mistakes & successes...the experience & memories are priceless & at the end of the day that is what matters the most.
Exactly.I started my DIY with a broken toy car 25 years back.Today almost all servicing,woodworking,plumbing,electrical,Audio/electronics at my home is done by me.The satisfaction after completion of the job will be there for years.Mistakes-everybody makes and we learn from mistakes.cheers:
Old 13th June 2008, 14:10   #11
BHPian

ramieji DIYwale!
count in in on any other DIY.! -(all my DIY's are on machinery at the factory i dont have to worry about asthetics there' just function and thats the reason i try and stay away from cars)
Btw my old 800 is beggin for some!
Old 13th June 2008, 14:48   #12
BHPian

Hey Ramie, nice thread. Reminds me many similar incidents happened and happening . We all learn from mistakes and it's the best way to achieve perfection. Keep it flowing. For me it was mainly associated with small audio decks and all the bikes I owned.

OT (not with car and ICE): Here is one funny incident which happened when I had a shogun, way back in 90s. I see a lot of bikes with loud exhaus note and upon investigation got informed that you need to play with muffler to get loud exhaust and it will increase the power as well!. Decided to do it as DIY. One fine Sunday morning I sat with the bike and started my work. First removed the end cup of the silencer and started to pull the muffler/flute by pulling it with a plier. My efforts were not succeeding as it was very tight inside the silencer. Then an idea clicked. Took a small steel strand and tied one end to the muffler/flute and other end to a tree, started bike and began to accelerate. This time it was happening slowly and I was prepared to leave the throttle as soon as the muffler comes out. But all of a sudden it came out and I eneded up doing a wheelie. The best part of the story was, all these excercise were being watched by dad. He didn'y ask me anything but I knew what was in his mind. Needless to say I tried to cut the muffler/flute but the blade was not sufficient. Next thing, rode to my workshop, 10 km away and on the way flute went of falling on the road making loud exhaust note which helped getting attention and stare from public. Atlast somehow managed to reach workshop and got the job done.

Last edited by redfire : 13th June 2008 at 15:07.
Old 13th June 2008, 15:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

hooaa..!!! redfire still i think your dad might be having in his deep minds what was my son doing tieing up his bike with a tree?was he planning to shift the tree with the bike lolz...

Guys i am sure many of you have disaster pics of your DIY please post without any fear as this being a learning stage and still learning,who go thru this thread will take precautions and safety.

@Magma:even i have bad experiences in handling the welding machines,flat bed drill machines and many lathe's,shaper machine,at certain times my fingers were cut with bruises even grinded badly and stitches were a free bonus,now today doing a white colar job reminds me what foolishness i used to do,but still that DIY bug has grown with me and i care to take every precautions and follow safety measures when starting it.

Cheers..Keep them coming(is possible pics too)

Ramie..To be continued
Old 13th June 2008, 15:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Redfire that's hilarious

Reminds me of a ye olde method to remove bad teeth
Old 13th June 2008, 18:52   #15
BHPian

Ramie & Redfire, hats off to your ventures. I am sure most of Tbhp ians would have a DIY, either with the car or with some thing else. Yes we all learn from our mistakes. Mistakes makes us perfect.... Carry on

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks