Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2009, 19:03   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakensoul View Post
@bbs- Which all screws needs to be removed to take out the console ? I guess Alto and Wagonr's design will be almost identical.
Sorry for the late reply, the car(alto) wasn't with me until now. i have marked the screws with red circles.

DIY-Blue LED Parking Lamp & Speedo Meter+Wire Mesh Grille & Underbody Neons for Alto-screw-alto.jpg

DIY-Blue LED Parking Lamp & Speedo Meter+Wire Mesh Grille & Underbody Neons for Alto-screw-2.jpg

Note: The screws near the headunit face upwards so they are not visible in the pic.
Old 7th January 2009, 19:19   #62
BHPian

Thanks for the pictorial guide again.
Old 23rd March 2009, 01:28   #63
Senior - BHPian

Inspired by shakensoul's DIY mesh grill project, i started a similar DIY on my alto. It is not yet fully completed, just did some preliminary testing this week. Will post more pics after completion(maybe by next weekend).

MGA stock grill (Rs: 335)
DIY-Blue LED Parking Lamp & Speedo Meter+Wire Mesh Grille & Underbody Neons for Alto-03032009726.jpg

center part cut:
DIY-Blue LED Parking Lamp & Speedo Meter+Wire Mesh Grille & Underbody Neons for Alto-03032009727.jpg

Aluminium mesh( Rs: 27 per square feet, 4 sq feet - Rs: 108)
DIY-Blue LED Parking Lamp & Speedo Meter+Wire Mesh Grille & Underbody Neons for Alto-17032009778.jpg

Mesh cut to fit grill
DIY-Blue LED Parking Lamp & Speedo Meter+Wire Mesh Grille & Underbody Neons for Alto-17032009779.jpg

DIY-Blue LED Parking Lamp & Speedo Meter+Wire Mesh Grille & Underbody Neons for Alto-17032009780.jpg

Mesh stuck to grill using Mseal wetset epoxy putty
DIY-Blue LED Parking Lamp & Speedo Meter+Wire Mesh Grille & Underbody Neons for Alto-17032009781.jpg

DIY-Blue LED Parking Lamp & Speedo Meter+Wire Mesh Grille & Underbody Neons for Alto-19032009782.jpg

DIY-Blue LED Parking Lamp & Speedo Meter+Wire Mesh Grille & Underbody Neons for Alto-19032009783.jpg

Excess putty sanded off to give a smooth and even look
DIY-Blue LED Parking Lamp & Speedo Meter+Wire Mesh Grille & Underbody Neons for Alto-19032009784.jpg

Off comes the bumper along with the grill
DIY-Blue LED Parking Lamp & Speedo Meter+Wire Mesh Grille & Underbody Neons for Alto-22032009786.jpg

The bumper
DIY-Blue LED Parking Lamp & Speedo Meter+Wire Mesh Grille & Underbody Neons for Alto-22032009787.jpg

Temporarily fitted unfinished mesh grill
DIY-Blue LED Parking Lamp & Speedo Meter+Wire Mesh Grille & Underbody Neons for Alto-22032009788.jpg
DIY-Blue LED Parking Lamp & Speedo Meter+Wire Mesh Grille & Underbody Neons for Alto-22032009789.jpg
DIY-Blue LED Parking Lamp & Speedo Meter+Wire Mesh Grille & Underbody Neons for Alto-22032009790.jpg

Will post more pics and detailed step by step process by next weekend.
Old 23rd March 2009, 01:33   #64
BHPian

nice DIY bbs!!
waiting for the post-DIY pics and details. what color do you plan to paint the mesh?
i've been thinking of doing the same on my swift but havent been able to get time and motivation to go ahead with the job.

Last edited by white_vdi : 23rd March 2009 at 01:34.
Old 23rd March 2009, 15:55   #65
BHPian

I am also planning to do for SX4, waiting for detailed pics.
Old 23rd March 2009, 17:05   #66
Senior - BHPian

Hey this is pretty neat. Though these led bulbs are available in many spares shops and on ebay as well. Been wanting to do this to my car for a long time but never really took time off to do this.
Old 25th March 2009, 19:57   #67
BHPian

Hi BBS,

I'm Sorry. I know i'm not in the right thread to ask this question, but as i got my initial idea from this thread and could find no other similar thread for bikes i'm putting this question forward here.

I have a gladiator. I tried changing the lights in my speedometer and tachometer. I got one of the leds which are readily available for bikes in the market. Filed them and then installed them. But still light is not distrubuted propely across the instrument cluster. The light also seems to dim and nearly not be seen when i go under a street lamp. What can i do to counter this? Should i scrap these ready made bulbs and make my own led bulb. Will that give more brightness? And if i should how many leds should i use? Kindly help.Thankyou.
Old 25th March 2009, 20:32   #68
Senior - BHPian

@ lobojames: i have never tried this on bikes, but one my friend did fix some LEDs(5mm blue LEDs) on his rx135. The LEDs worked perfectly for a few days and suddenly one day all of them burned. I guess voltage fluctuation is a lot more in bikes( i maybe wrong), hence resulting in burnt LEDs.

I guess the readily available LEDs that you used were 10mm(big ones). Try using 5 mm flat LEDs(use a 470ohm or 520ohm per LED) for better light spread. Regarding your LEDs dimming under streetlamp(i guess you are talking about sodium vapour street lamp), yellow light dominates blue or white light, thats why the light from your LEDs seem to dim under street lamps).
Old 25th March 2009, 20:45   #69
BHPian

Quote:
I guess the readily available LEDs that you used were 10mm(big ones). Try using 5 mm flat LEDs(use a 470ohm or 520ohm per LED) for better light spread. Regarding your LEDs dimming under streetlamp(i guess you are talking about sodium vapour street lamp), yellow light dominates blue or white light, thats why the light from your LEDs seem to dim under street lamps).
Yes, they are the big ones. Ill try and get my hands on 5mm flat ones. Should i put one single led. Or putting three in a series better. I'm not sure but u should confirm. I'm thinking i'll either put two or three as then i can bend the leds just a bit to adjust light spread. What say? And yes, you are right i went under a sodium vapour lamp. Thanks a lot bbs.

Last edited by F50 : 25th March 2009 at 20:55.
Old 25th March 2009, 20:55   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobojames9 View Post
Yes, they are the big ones.. Ill try and get my hands on 5mm flat ones... Should i put one single led... Or puttin three in a series better... I'm not sure but u should comfirm.. I'm thinkin i'll either put two or three as then i can bend the leds jus a bit to adjust light spread. What say? N yes, you are right i went under a sodium vapour lamp... Thanks a lot bbs...
Since there is more voltage fluctuation, put 3 LEDs separately(each with its own 470 ohm resistor).
Old 25th March 2009, 21:14   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
Since there is more voltage fluctuation, put 3 LEDs separately(each with its own 470 ohm resistor).
Okay. I shall do that. So that means when i place them in a holder i should get all the three led's legs to come out from the holder. And then plug it in right? Yes, i know i am asking a bit too many questions.. but i'm just making sure
Old 25th March 2009, 21:27   #72
BHPian

bbs we are waiting for final pics man! where are they?
Old 25th March 2009, 21:40   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_vdi View Post
bbs we are waiting for final pics man! where are they?
The car will be with my bro on weekdays. I ll finish the DIY this weekend, if i get the correct spray paint and post pics with step by step details.
Old 26th March 2009, 14:45   #74
Senior - BHPian

Hey nice DIY for the mesh grill. Not sure but I think I should give it a try on my Accent
Old 26th March 2009, 14:52   #75
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
The car will be with my bro on weekdays. I ll finish the DIY this weekend, if i get the correct spray paint and post pics with step by step details.
Dude, i am your new fan

I am just applying your DIY on my 1972 VW Microbus Meter console, and also my tail lights and indicators.

Want to get the brake light setting like this ( a smilie) first round set of LED's glowing and once you brake, the eye and smile comes out.

How do i do it, need your guidance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks