Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2013, 18:10   #16

Re: Swift Vxi -petrol Oil Change Diy Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
The exact quantity for your car would be mentioned in the last few pages of the manual. Should be around ~3 litres.
Be careful as it varies from car to car and petrol to diesel varies also. One of my personal cars takes 12 litres to do an oil change!
Old 4th June 2013, 12:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

^^^True. It varies from car to car. I was referring to the quantity in carboy's Swift. Just checked the manual of our Swift-Zxi - it is 3.3 litres.

BTW, while checking the manual which is kept in the car, I tried to start the car and move it inside the porch since it is raining like hell here in Kerala. Car won't start - just a tick-tick sound.
Had a hunch that it would be the battery since it is the OEM battery that came with the car in 2007. Switched batteries with our A-Star and yes, it was the battery - need to go get a new one.
The battery life at 6 years is not bad - have been changing the Baleno battery every 3 years.

If not for seeing the manual, I would not have known that the battery is dead and would have been in real trouble in the evening when I had a drive planned.
Old 4th June 2013, 13:09   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
^^^True. It varies from car to car. I was referring to the quantity in carboy's Swift. Just checked the manual of our Swift-Zxi - it is 3.3 litres.
Actually, my question was a little different. My Swift does take 3.3 will when filled from empty.

What I want to know is.
- if Dipstick shows 1/2 between High & Low mark on Dipstick - is there a way to figure out how many litres are left in the engine oil sump/tank
- if the Dipstick shows just above Low mark, how many litres left?

i.e. is there a known calibration for Swift between the dipstick mark and the level of oil left in the tank.

And what is a dangerous level - are there any tells for this - i.e. will the temp gauge in the instrument panel show high temp or anything?

Last edited by carboy : 4th June 2013 at 13:10.
Old 4th June 2013, 21:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

I don't think there is a mapping between lo/hi levels on dipstick to oil-volume for Swift or other cars. Infact, you really don't need to worry to that level of detail.
If oil-level registers on the dipstick anywhere between lo and hi, you are OK. If it does not even register on dipstick, then it is an indication that oil level is low and you need to top up asap.

If oil level is alarmingly low, then it will register on the instrument panel. When you put in the key and turn it (before starting the engine), you will see a battery symbol and a symbol of oil-can. These should go off once you start the engine. If they stay on, it means an issue with your battery or oil-level (depending on which of the icons remain lit).
Old 30th June 2017, 13:48   #20
BHPian

Hi,

I changed the engine oil of my Dzire Petrol yesterday at a Shell outlet. The Shell outlet chart says 3.4L with change of filter while the manual says 3.1L.

They actually put 3.4L. I happened to read the manual later because this was listed in Specification (Item capacities) and I was looking for it elsewhere .

The manual clearly says: "Too much oil is almost as bad as too little oil." Would 300ml of extra oil be a problem? Should I get it removed?

Thanks,

Pradeep

Last edited by pradkumar : 30th June 2017 at 14:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks