Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2010, 03:34   #1
BHPian

DIY : Installed Car Thermometer in my Santro

This is not much of a D.I.Y. project as the device used is purchased from ebay.com itself.

Car thermometer, it gives temp. readings for both inside cabin, and the outside temp.

The outside temperature sensor is a coat button like sensor which is connected thru a wire and is using self adhesive tape to stay at plastic area under the front wind-shield.
the wire is driven thru capped hole from where the cables get into passenger cabin from bonnet.

Only D.I.Y. stuff is the backlight adapter integrated into Gear Shift console as I already have auxilary power there to drive and control various L.E.D. in my car.

The Car thermometer is approx 10usd and I had to re-order it via registered post after it got lost in post first time.

At last the package reached me.
DIY : Installed Car Thermometer in my Santro-img00245.jpg

the Unit
DIY : Installed Car Thermometer in my Santro-thermo.jpg

Unit was working already
DIY : Installed Car Thermometer in my Santro-img00248.jpg

came with 1 outside sensor+backlit power adapter+small manual.
DIY : Installed Car Thermometer in my Santro-img00249.jpg

Testing
DIY : Installed Car Thermometer in my Santro-img00251.jpg

Nice colors
DIY : Installed Car Thermometer in my Santro-img00252.jpg

Soldered wires on the adapter pins
DIY : Installed Car Thermometer in my Santro-img00262.jpg

closer look on wires when soldered.
DIY : Installed Car Thermometer in my Santro-img00264.jpg

Thoroughly Taped to prevent short-circuit.
DIY : Installed Car Thermometer in my Santro-img00266.jpg

Its placed on Ash-Tray
Name:  IMG00269.jpg
Views: 8695
Size:  49.9 KB

A closer Look
DIY : Installed Car Thermometer in my Santro-img00273.jpg

The black-wire goes in where it gets the power and a switch.
DIY : Installed Car Thermometer in my Santro-img00275.jpg
I need to cleanly hide these wires, which i'll be doing someday.

Before installing the unit i even dumped the outdoor sensor to my refrigerator freezer section, it went upto -10°C the temp. readings are quite accurate as I did many test and compared it with my In-home temp. measurement units.
Old 16th June 2010, 07:14   #2
BHPian

@ghpk, good idea dude. Have you monitered the temperature changes with the car A/C on. This should be a more accurate method of testing the thermometer.
Old 16th June 2010, 09:42   #3
BHPian

You installed it yourself? Is it user-friendly to install?
Does it require any pre-requisites like lighter or adapter etc?
Old 16th June 2010, 09:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice DIY. I have been thinking if I should buy this from ebay. Now, seems I should. Thanks for the step by step pics. Certianly helps.

Btw, was the power wires soldered to the 12v inlet directly? or you have another points?
Old 16th June 2010, 10:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Couldn't you have just cut the cigarette lighter adapter and joined the wires directly to avoid the clutter ?
Old 16th June 2010, 10:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Guys, just tell me what's the use of checking the cabin temperature & outside temperature? I really couldn't understand the need. I mean, if its cold inside, I switch off the A/C, if not we switch ON. Can someone help me understand pls?
Old 16th June 2010, 11:10   #7
BHPian

@ aargee:
This is just an other gadget in the car.
Also to know how cool it is inside due to your AC.
To impress people with cool looking display.
Old 16th June 2010, 16:52   #8
BHPian

Thank you friends to show interest in my gadget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
@ghpk, good idea dude. Have you monitered the temperature changes with the car A/C on. This should be a more accurate method of testing the thermometer.
yes the temp. goes to 20°C with A.C. On, thats what i was able to measure on recent short drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM007 View Post
You installed it yourself? Is it user-friendly to install?
Does it require any pre-requisites like lighter or adapter etc?
yes its very very easy to install, you would need 12v cig. lighter socket else back-light would not work. unit's display and temp. display is powered by a button cell inside the unit itself.
12v supply is only to power the Orange/Blue backlit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Nice DIY. I have been thinking if I should buy this from ebay. Now, seems I should. Thanks for the step by step pics. Certianly helps.

Btw, was the power wires soldered to the 12v inlet directly? or you have another points?
I've additional 12v power running to gear console so i used it this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Couldn't you have just cut the cigarette lighter adapter and joined the wires directly to avoid the clutter ?
As my car already had wires i used the gear console, one can also do what you have suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Guys, just tell me what's the use of checking the cabin temperature & outside temperature? I really couldn't understand the need. I mean, if its cold inside, I switch off the A/C, if not we switch ON. Can someone help me understand pls?
Its just another gadget itch, sometime you need temperature to be quoted when you talk around, or may be just a bling factor as Santro's Dash is Very boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM007 View Post
@ aargee:
This is just an other gadget in the car.
Also to know how cool it is inside due to your AC.
To impress people with cool looking display.
Very true.
Old 29th August 2010, 18:41   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

That's a cool device. Really wanted that one. Let me try to source this for my swift. Guess it would look really cool especially with that blue display.
Thanks for sharing the gadget.
Cheers.!
Old 1st September 2010, 15:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Nice work, though lack of good space for it makes it not so appealing. I liked the clock though.

Does the clock work on cells ?
Old 3rd September 2010, 09:55   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
That's a cool device. Really wanted that one. Let me try to source this for my swift. Guess it would look really cool especially with that blue display.
Thanks for sharing the gadget.
Cheers.!
Its a great DIY. Nice gadget to have. My small suggestion will be to cut out those adapter and connect it directly. One question is how it is switched. Is it in sync with the operation of the ignition switch?

@naveen: Bro, I am also looking for such a device for my Swift. It'd be great if we can get a replacement for the stock digital clock. Does the Dzire version fit into?
Old 7th September 2010, 08:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

Digital clock for Spark -PS version

I did not like the color of lights on my speedo console, so thought of changing it and opened up the console. I removed the green caps on the bulbs and left it blank. Then something on the display drew my attention, it was the digital clock. The display read 0.00, but it was hidden under the plastic, a P4 connector is required for activating the clock, but the PCB does not have the provision for connecting one as mine is a PS version. Then my brother-in law, activated the clock with a simple technique, he inserted a scissor between two holes on the P4 connector slot and the clock started working. Then I cut open the digital clock slot on the plastic. Now I have a digital clock which is working fine. I will post pictures of this DIY very soon.
Old 9th September 2010, 10:12   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Its a great DIY. Nice gadget to have. My small suggestion will be to cut out those adapter and connect it directly. One question is how it is switched. Is it in sync with the operation of the ignition switch?

@naveen: Bro, I am also looking for such a device for my Swift. It'd be great if we can get a replacement for the stock digital clock. Does the Dzire version fit into?
the clock and temp readings are available 24x7 as it runs off button cells.
the power adaptor is required for back lit only.
As my lighter socket is already having FM modulator, I connected the power adaptor to another power source which comes from ACC. out itself.

check ebay.com there are many sellers with different looks and prices for such car thermometer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I did not like the color of lights on my speedo console, so thought of changing it and opened up the console. I removed the green caps on the bulbs and left it blank. Then something on the display drew my attention, it was the digital clock. The display read 0.00, but it was hidden under the plastic, a P4 connector is required for activating the clock, but the PCB does not have the provision for connecting one as mine is a PS version. Then my brother-in law, activated the clock with a simple technique, he inserted a scissor between two holes on the P4 connector slot and the clock started working. Then I cut open the digital clock slot on the plastic. Now I have a digital clock which is working fine. I will post pictures of this DIY very soon.
Nice discovery do post the pics, it would be certainly a surprise for spark owners.
Also you can get L.E.D.'s to light up your speedometer console to look more happening.
Old 29th October 2010, 11:44   #14
BHPian

@gppk,

please provide info about the batteries required for the power supply of this thermometer unit. I bought an item something like this, but the suppliers did not provide me the batteries.

Thanks,
Jose.
Old 29th October 2010, 12:36   #15
BHPian

Somehow I missed this DIY post.This is a nice DIY by you, ghpk. I liked it.
So, what's the temperature now!?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks