Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2010, 23:19   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Yes, I know that KS dyno provides WHP, but was checking if you pro-rated power at crank. If you have a ECU remap, I am really wondering why you would do the resister mod - confused you know.
And esp since you hint at an uprated turbo, bigger injectors, aggressive cams etc.
140bhp WHP is great - almost twice stock !
I m not sure the IAT and Fuel temp ammendmend signal can be done by a remap, the experts could comment on that. I m looking at any sensible [ in my view] mod that can be done and am willing to experiment on my ride.
Old 14th July 2010, 23:29   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Congrats. What a chart!! I presume its a diesel Skoda. Unbelievable results from the mods you have mentioned. Can you enlighten us as to what turbo you are using, cams(???), Where have these mods been implemented? Is it a Petes specific mod and what ECU are you running? Also are you using a stock block? I ask all this because a dramatic rise in WHP as is in your case, is, IMHO is quite unbelievable with the mods you have specified above.
Yes its a diesel.The turbo is VNT17/22 hybrid,Diblas dynamic cam,my ECU has been remapped by Jeff Robertson of Rocket Chips and I ve graduated from the RC2 to RC4 and now RC6 keeping pace with the associated hardware. My block is stock but with an uprated head gasket and better hyd lifters/valve springs/retainers.Injector nozzels are Bosio PP764s.PD130 oil cooler. If all goes well in the coming month/s my next changes should yield another 20whp at least.Also the work was done by Ash who runs Speed Demon Tuning at lower parel , he s extremely knowledgable and does a clean and neat install along with the countless minor adjustments which are essential to keep my car in good nick.

Last edited by air870 : 14th July 2010 at 23:36. Reason: Additional info.
Old 14th July 2010, 23:40   #48
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by air870 View Post
I m not sure the IAT and Fuel temp ammendmend signal can be done by a remap, the experts could comment on that. I m looking at any sensible [ in my view] mod that can be done and am willing to experiment on my ride.
With a remap, you can directly alter the fuel values in the correction tables. So instead of making the ECU think that the IAT is cooler by 10 degrees and making it inject more fuel, you can just make it inject more fuel at the current temperature. Much more straightforward and without hacking up the factory harness.
Old 14th July 2010, 23:49   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
With a remap, you can directly alter the fuel values in the correction tables. So instead of making the ECU think that the IAT is cooler by 10 degrees and making it inject more fuel, you can just make it inject more fuel at the current temperature. Much more straightforward and without hacking up the factory harness.
Righto - that's what i was trying to ask, thanks for phrasing it precisely. In other words, despite a remap, what did he intend to gain with this resistor mod (that the remap won't provide)...

Last edited by lancer_rit : 14th July 2010 at 23:51.
Old 15th July 2010, 02:45   #50
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
The IAT and fuel temperature settings remain in the re-map. There is no need to alter them. The fueling tables need changing in the r-map to increase the amount of fuel to the opitmum. What might need changing is the MAP sensor to a higher positive boost oneif boost is running close to maximum of the MAP sensor.
Old 16th July 2010, 21:24   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The point is for Rs 2 a 2% increase in power is acceptable to me. How about you?
I agree with you absolutely. Infact am now scouting for a Skoda 1.9 TDi used
Old 17th July 2010, 10:11   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apt or not. the mod works.Connect a 1.9tdi to a Vag-Com, check the readings, do the mod, check the readings again. Drive your car.Then post. Thanx.
Does the readings translate to HP? If so how much? Just curious, since the focus of this thread, as per your thread title, is "2 rupee mod and it works".

Since you had all that mods in your car and the access to a Dyno it would've been nice if you did a Dyno run before and after the 2 rupee mod.

Thanks.

Edit: Readings would definitely change if you add a couple of resistors in a circuit. What people would like to know is the change in performance measured, not the changed readings. Sure it might work.

Last edited by Sankar : 17th July 2010 at 10:28.
Old 17th July 2010, 12:53   #53
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Does the readings translate to HP? If so how much? Just curious, since the focus of this thread, as per your thread title, is "2 rupee mod and it works".

Since you had all that mods in your car and the access to a Dyno it would've been nice if you did a Dyno run before and after the 2 rupee mod.

Thanks.

Edit: Readings would definitely change if you add a couple of resistors in a circuit. What people would like to know is the change in performance measured, not the changed readings. Sure it might work.
You are right in theory.

In practical terms it looks a bit different as you will hit a few problems.

No offense, but KS hasn't got enough experience to make repeatable runs that would allow a proper evaluation with the margins it is being spoken about. I am not trying to be funny, but this is the reality of research. I do this kind of work for a living and spent thousands of hours an the dyno.

The time laps between the before and after should be preferably zero, which is not possible. The vehicle should not leave the dyno for it, should have the same fuel load, same tester etc.

Also you have to consider that the ECU has got a long term fuel trim. The ECU has got to go a number of times through the individual mapping points before it finally has adapted in the long term fuel trim.

What is also misunderstood is that the dyno has got only limited use as we are not dealing with a real road condition situation. The dyno is for us designers only a tool to get into the right direction but does not give enough evidence on mods of this kind to prove them wrong or right.

The ultimate testing is on the road with a professional accelerometer of the likes of Vericom with about 800 reference points per run a lot of time and some fuel.
Old 17th July 2010, 13:38   #54
Senior - BHPian

It is still a pity that the dyno is used as a tool to just get horsepower numbers than to actually tune cars. The pricing structure does not allow you to tune a car on the dyno unless you're very rich as the payment is on the number of runs you do. Allowing people to rent the dyno for X minutes/hours would encourage this. But hey, there's no competition, so he runs the show.
Old 17th July 2010, 13:49   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
there's no competition, so he runs the show.

True, but trust me competition is coming his way. There are a lot of small time tuners getting big and in no time you will see a lot of rolling roads. still all wheel dyno looks like a long way from here.

Pramod
Old 17th July 2010, 14:53   #56
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
True, but trust me competition is coming his way. There are a lot of small time tuners getting big and in no time you will see a lot of rolling roads. still all wheel dyno looks like a long way from here.

Pramod
AWD dyno is even more tricky to work with than 2WD. With most of the cars it is better to disconnect the prop shaft. Where it is not possible because the sensors playing up the best bet is to re-map on the open road. I have never needed a AWD dyno in my life.

@ pranavt - Currently he might, but as Pramod is stating it will change. I am working on the project coming to India and we have next month 2 rolling roads where we simultaneously do the development on. We also have developed a way to actually do a live map on ECUs that are not accessible via a live emulation.

Things only have slowed down for me sorting more in India because I am bogged down with rapid developments in South Africa.
Old 17th July 2010, 15:18   #57
BANNED

well most of the Diesel tuning boxes does the same job,its just that they have there resistor circuit on a PCB,infact they have 3 or 4 different resistor circuits on the same board,and wht the call selecting a map with use of a dial,Dials job is just to select the circuit by which sensor voltage is intended to pass through, different resistances in different path of PCB offer different voltage drop to sensor output,thus missleading the ECU.
That is why you can use these tuning boxes irrespective of car or engine,just that all cars have different wiring harnesses so these boxes need to find a hook up point in that specific harness.
another DIY 0 rupee performance mod is,shove your intake temp sensor,or your intercooler temp sensor(if ur diesel has an intercooler) right in front of your AC blower(you might need to increase the sensor wire to reach Ac eveporator or blower),ECU will think its in ICELAND, denser air with colder temps hence more diesel.

ecu alters injection pulses to come to terms with this drop,sending in more diesel.

However all these mods produce more unburned diesel particles or soot,which inturns build ups in cars particulate filter system ,around valves and in exaust apart from producing more polution
Old 17th July 2010, 16:15   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
AWD dyno is even more tricky to work with than 2WD. With most of the cars it is better to disconnect the prop shaft. Where it is not possible because the sensors playing up the best bet is to re-map on the open road. I have never needed a AWD dyno in my life.

@ pranavt - Currently he might, but as Pramod is stating it will change. I am working on the project coming to India and we have next month 2 rolling roads where we simultaneously do the development on. We also have developed a way to actually do a live map on ECUs that are not accessible via a live emulation.

Things only have slowed down for me sorting more in India because I am bogged down with rapid developments in South Africa.
Sign me up whenever you need an apprentice
Old 17th July 2010, 16:37   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
The dyno is for us designers only a tool to get into the right direction but does not give enough evidence on mods of this kind to prove them wrong or right.
Peter, in short you're saying that even a dyno can't prove whether the 2 Rupee mod works or not.

Old 17th July 2010, 17:10   #60
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Sign me up whenever you need an apprentice
It will come. Be prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Peter, in short you're saying that even a dyno can't prove whether the 2 Rupee mod works or not.

Stop being smart.

Most Viewed