Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2014, 12:31   #46
BHPian

Re: DIY : Cleaning your MAF Sensor for Rs 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Shall be trying to get the MAF cleaned on my Swift by this weekend.

The car has done 20K kms in 7.5 months.

Has anyone tried the same in the newer models?

How is the cleaner? Mini review please?!

Anurag.
Hi Anurag,

Are you going to clean it yourself? If so, can you share the details after you are done, particularly about disconnecting and reconnecting the MAF sensor. I plan to do it myself for my Ertiga. It has run about 26k km so far, so may be worth cleaning this sensor.

Also I did some googling on this CRC MAF sensor cleaner. It seems to make the cleaning process very easy. But In the manual (http://www.crcindustries.com/faxdocs...on/st05110.pdf) it says it should not be used on some type of sensors
Quote:
DO NOT use on vehicles with a Karman-Vortex air flow sensor, e.g. Toyota Supra Turbos, Mitsubishi’s and most Lexus vehicles.
Do you know what type of sensor is used for Swift DDiS?
Old 1st August 2014, 03:36   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post

Hi Anurag,

Are you going to clean it yourself? If so, can you share the details after you are done, particularly about disconnecting and reconnecting the MAF sensor. I plan to do it myself for my Ertiga. It has run about 26k km so far, so may be worth cleaning this sensor.
Hello Mohan,

I am indeed wanting to do this cleaning DIY.

Shall upload the details with pictures once I complete the activity. Though I am thinking to follow the procedure given in first post and do not plan to use these cleaners.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 23:25   #48
BANNED

DIY - MAF Sensor Cleaning

Inspired by this thread by Ajmat Sir, I too did make time to do the DIY for my Swift ZDi:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2047511

NOTE: Though there was nothing wrong with my car for me to perform this DIY. It was just to see how is the condition of the sensor after 1.2 years and 39K kms on the odometer. No low performance or smoke or low FE being experienced.

Things required to perform the DIY (Picture below):
  1. Zip Lock bags - 3 no's
  2. Flat head No.: 7mm
  3. Philips Head No.: 2
  4. Flank Socket: 10mm
  5. Extension Bar
  6. Ratchet Handle
  7. IPA - 100% (preferably as it dries up faster) --- 1 Litre is enough IMO.

DIY : Cleaning your MAF Sensor for Rs 120-tools.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Procedure to perform the Cleaning of the MAF is as follows in 3 broad steps:
  1. Removing MAF for cleaning,
  2. Cleaning the MAF.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Removing the MAF for Cleaning:
  • Clean the area around the air filter box, MAF and the Air intake pipe (rubber hose);
  • Remove the electric coupler;
  • Using the Philips head 2, open the screws holding the air filter box;
  • Once the air filter box is opened, use the flat head screw-7mm to loosen the clamp;
  • With the clamp now loose, Detach the rubber air intake pipe;
  • Using the Flank socket 10mm, unscrew the two bolts holding the MAF sensor. MAF is now free and ready for cleaning.

2) Cleaning the MAF:
  • Once the MAF is removed, first thing to do is - wipe it gently with a damp cloth to remove the dirt/dust before cleaning it with IPA.
  • Put the MAF in the Zip-lock pouch, pour in the IPA.
  • Lock the pouch and shake it gently to loosen the dirt trapped by the mesh;
  • Let it rest for 10-15 mins. Remove the sensor from the pouch and collect the IPA used first time, add some fresh IPA and let it sit for 2-3 minutes;
  • Remove the sensor from the IPA bath and let it dry completely.

NOTE:
  • Do NOT keep the ignition in ON position or the car idling when removing the MAF. Just remove the key from the key hole.
  • Be careful as to NOT put the MAF back after removing it from the IPA bath.

-- Was actually scouting for CRC Air Senso clean spray that is made for cleaning the MAF sensor. Neither I could get it online nor the shops so used with 100% IPA.

Did check the ECU for any error codes or any such indication but good that nothing came up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I'll let the pictures do the talking:

Air filter box + MAF Sensor:
DIY : Cleaning your MAF Sensor for Rs 120-filter-maf.jpg

MAF Sensor:
DIY : Cleaning your MAF Sensor for Rs 120-maf.jpg

Coupler Removed:
DIY : Cleaning your MAF Sensor for Rs 120-couple-removed.jpg

MAF Mesh - Engine Side:
DIY : Cleaning your MAF Sensor for Rs 120-engine-side-mesh.jpg

MAF Mesh - Engine Side (Close Up):
DIY : Cleaning your MAF Sensor for Rs 120-engine-meshcloseup.jpg

MAF Mesh - Air intake side:
DIY : Cleaning your MAF Sensor for Rs 120-air-filter-intake-side-mesh.jpg

Sensor out for Cleaning:
DIY : Cleaning your MAF Sensor for Rs 120-maf-cleaning.jpg

The measuring unit at the centre:
DIY : Cleaning your MAF Sensor for Rs 120-elec-centre.jpg

MAF chilling out in IPA bath:
DIY : Cleaning your MAF Sensor for Rs 120-maf-chilling-ipa.jpg

MAF's First bath:
DIY : Cleaning your MAF Sensor for Rs 120-first-bath.jpg

IPA after 3 uses*:
DIY : Cleaning your MAF Sensor for Rs 120-ipa-after-cleaning.jpg

*I had 1.5 litres actually of 100% IPA so used 500 ml for every wash. Collected the same after using it to see how much dirt/dust is entrapped.

PS: Engine bay is dirty actually thanks to the route I take which makes the car look dirty within no time after a wash. Took a lot of effort to wipe that out today during the MAF sensor drying time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Hi Anurag,
Sir, Hope this helps.
a4anurag is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st February 2015, 11:04   #49
Senior - BHPian

Here is the method I follow to clean the MAF sensor of my Swift. The method differs only in the alcohol dip rest all are same as the above.

Instead of putting the MAF sensor assembly into the ziplock and filling it with IPA I prefer to do the following:
  1. I clean the outside of the MAF tube very well with damp cloth so that the dirt on the outside doesn't dirty the IPA.
  2. Take out the rubber O-ring from the air filter side of the MAF tube and clean it with damp cloth. Do not dip it in IPA.
  3. Then I use one of these translucent white caps shown below to cover one end of the MAF tube and then put the tube into the ziplock bag and then half fill the inside of the MAF tube with IPA and then put the other cover on.
  4. Close the bag and shake it well holding the sensor by capped ends; and repeat this one more time (or twice if the IPA isn't clear the second time).
  5. Allow for one night to let the IPA evaporate completely from the surface of the sensor film completely before putting the sensor back on. Just to prevent the chance of accidentally heating a wet sensor element if you turn the key to ON after installation.

The reason I prefer this method is because the IPA is contained inside the MAF tube and when shaking it the fluid has a better chance of going over the actual sensor film with more force and flow.

Note: The caps are not air tight so it tends to leak some, but it will allow the time for enough vigorous shakes before it all leaks out into the ziplock bag.

I don't have the actual pics of cleaning, I have two MAF sensors with me so used the spare to click the photos.

DIY : Cleaning your MAF Sensor for Rs 120-20150221_103112.jpg

DIY : Cleaning your MAF Sensor for Rs 120-20150221_102654.jpg

DIY : Cleaning your MAF Sensor for Rs 120-20150221_102645.jpg

DIY : Cleaning your MAF Sensor for Rs 120-20150221_102637.jpg
Sankar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 17:02   #50
BHPian

Has anyone cleaned MAF for Tata Safari Dicor? I have one doubt regarding connector unit getting damaged/short circuited while dipping in IPA.
Old 2nd March 2015, 17:19   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
I have one doubt regarding connector unit getting damaged/short circuited while dipping in IPA.
IPA would dry before you replace the sensor back in its place so there's no chance of a short circuit at the terminals.
Old 2nd March 2015, 20:54   #52
Team-BHP Support

Safari MAF sensor is gone. I decided to check the wiring also.
There is 12V + 5V input going into the 5 pin sensor, but pin number 3 and 4 are returning nothing. So apparently its totally kaput.

Can anyone tell if everything on wiring side is okay. This is a 5 pin sensor.
As marked in picture, pin 5 is ground, adjoining that I am getting 5V from car, and the last pin I get 12V from car. Is this okay?

DIY : Cleaning your MAF Sensor for Rs 120-1.jpg

Second question, is there a way to check MAF sensor before purchasing. I plan to head to scrap market and pick one up. I can carry a multimeter along. Obviously, will not be taking my vehicle there.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 2nd March 2015 at 20:57.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 21:56   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Safari MAF sensor is gone. I decided to check the wiring also.
There is 12V + 5V input going into the 5 pin sensor, but pin number 3 and 4 are returning nothing. So apparently its totally kaput.

Can anyone tell if everything on wiring side is okay. This is a 5 pin sensor.
As marked in picture, pin 5 is ground, adjoining that I am getting 5V from car, and the last pin I get 12V from car. Is this okay?

Second question, is there a way to check MAF sensor before purchasing. I plan to head to scrap market and pick one up. I can carry a multimeter along. Obviously, will not be taking my vehicle there.
The pins you have identified are GND, 12V Battery and 5 Volt ECM Reference all are OK. Of the two pins with no voltage across one is MAF and the other is IAT. Identifiying which one is which will either need the datasheet or workshop manual.

MAF sensor test how to would be there in the shop manual with the reference values.

Btw was there any airflow through the sensor when you checked Pin 3 & 4?
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2015, 00:13   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
The pins you have identified are GND, 12V Battery and 5 Volt ECM Reference all are OK. Of the two pins with no voltage across one is MAF and the other is IAT. Identifiying which one is which will either need the datasheet or workshop manual.

MAF sensor test how to would be there in the shop manual with the reference values.

Btw was there any airflow through the sensor when you checked Pin 3 & 4?
Nope. I am getting Error code also. MAF sensor is dead. Cleaning did not help at all. Plan to get one and fit it and see. Since I am buying from scrap market, wanted to know if there is a way to test if it works in the shop itself, rather than fitting in vehicle and testing.
Old 3rd March 2015, 00:24   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope. I am getting Error code also. MAF sensor is dead. Cleaning did not help at all. Plan to get one and fit it and see. Since I am buying from scrap market, wanted to know if there is a way to test if it works in the shop itself, rather than fitting in vehicle and testing.

There is no way to test the MAF without connecting it to the car.

You could try this with your MAF to check if its Faulty. The wire/pins may be different on a TATA.
Old 3rd March 2015, 00:26   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
There is no way to test the MAF without connecting it to the car.

You could try this with your MAF to check if its Faulty. The wire/pins may be different on a TATA.
Yes, already checked with multimeter since I did not trust the error code. It is faulty. Will pick up a scrap unit and check. If it does not work out, will go ahead and pick up a brand new one(why does it have to cost 6000 INR is a mystery)
Old 3rd March 2015, 10:41   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
why does it have to cost 6000 INR is a mystery
The Swift DDIS' Bosch MAF sensor cost in the range of 220 to 240 Euro in EU. The same thing (Bosch, Made in Gernany) MAF sensor available at MGP is around 3.5K INR. This is an even deeper mystery.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2015, 22:51   #58
BHPian

I am planning to clean MAF sensor for my Safari. I have some doubts. Is this MAF sensor in first picture? I cleaned it with damp cloth from inside. I see a white sensor with some capacitor kind of thing. Is it ok to dip this in IPA for cleaning. See white thing in Picture 3.

Also IPA I purchased has following Composition

Isopropyl Alcohol U.S>P> 70% v/v
Purified water I.P. q.s. to 100% v/v

Is this ok to use this compositions for cleaning MAF?
Attached Thumbnails
DIY : Cleaning your MAF Sensor for Rs 120-img_0488.jpg  

DIY : Cleaning your MAF Sensor for Rs 120-img_0489.jpg  

DIY : Cleaning your MAF Sensor for Rs 120-img_0490.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th March 2015 at 22:42. Reason: Back to Back posts. Please refrain
Old 6th March 2015, 00:17   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to clean MAF sensor for my Safari. I have some doubts. Is this MAF sensor in first picture? I cleaned it with damp cloth from inside. I see a white sensor with some capacitor kind of thing. Is it ok to dip this in IPA for cleaning. See white thing in Picture 3.

You cleaned the sensor with a damp cloth? Thats one sure way to kill the MAF
Quote:
Also IPA I purchased has following Composition

Isopropyl Alcohol U.S>P> 70% v/v
Purified water I.P. q.s. to 100% v/v

Is this ok to use this compositions for cleaning MAF?
What you got will also work but I prefer using 90%.
Old 6th March 2015, 08:08   #60
BHPian

Not the sensor just the plastic housing from inside it had black smoke/oil. I assume sensor is that white thing inside housing I have not touched it yet

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks