Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2015, 14:01   #61
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
I am planning to clean MAF sensor for my Safari. I have some doubts. Is this MAF sensor in first picture? I cleaned it with damp cloth from inside. I see a white sensor with some capacitor kind of thing. Is it ok to dip this in IPA for cleaning. See white thing in Picture 3.
Clean the MAF plastic housing from outside.

Dip the whole thing into IPA bath (100%). Let it dry completely.

No need to clean the inner side of the MAF housing the sensors. Chances of damaging it is high.
Old 7th March 2015, 16:37   #62
BHPian

Re: DIY : Cleaning your MAF Sensor for Rs 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Clean the MAF plastic housing from outside.

Dip the whole thing into IPA bath (100%). Let it dry completely.

No need to clean the inner side of the MAF housing the sensors. Chances of damaging it is high.
I have already cleaned inner side of housing the sensor but very carefully and fitted sensor back. Ran car 50 kms without any problem and error.

I am afraid to dip whole housing with sensor in IPA to have any damage. Please suggest should I go ahead and clean the sensor.
Old 11th March 2015, 11:25   #63
BHPian

I went ahead and took a shot. I cleaned MAF with IPA 70-30 solution. Had a sleepless night of dreams MAF going Kaput. MAF still looks like same as it was earlier and some of IPA went to connector also( See Pic). Dried it under fan whole night and Then fitted back. No error code and Car is behaving like same as it was behaving earlier. I am now planning to buy airflow sensor cleaner from ebay in attached picture, but worried about product is genuine or not as pictures I have seen on net are different from this picture.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY : Cleaning your MAF Sensor for Rs 120-maf.jpg  

DIY : Cleaning your MAF Sensor for Rs 120-_12.jpg  

Old 11th March 2015, 11:40   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am now planning to buy airflow sensor cleaner from ebay in attached picture, but worried about product is genuine or not as pictures I have seen on net are different from this picture.
Similar reason why I hunted the Authorized stockist of CRC in Bangalore and got one for myself.

But to be honest, I smelt CRC spray and it smells IPA, almost and hence I see no reason why you would need an exclusive MAF sensor cleaner when IPA can do the job without a fuss and at a much lesser price than CRC Cleaner.

You can read my post here.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2015, 13:10   #65
BANNED

Quote:
I went ahead and took a shot. I cleaned MAF with IPA 70-30 solution. Had a sleepless night of dreams MAF going Kaput. MAF still looks like same as it was earlier and some of IPA went to connector also( See Pic). Dried it under fan whole night and Then fitted back. No error code and Car is behaving like same as it was behaving earlier. I am now planning to buy airflow sensor cleaner from ebay in attached picture, but worried about product is genuine or not as pictures I have seen on net are different from this picture.
Hello,

Even I did dip the whole MAF into 100% IPA and let it dry completely and then refit it.

IMO, there is no perceptible difference with the running when compared to pre and post cleaning. I don't think the CRC spray would do any good.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2015, 15:00   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
IMO, there is no perceptible difference with the running when compared to pre and post cleaning.
In reality, there will be a difference ONLY when the MAF Sensor is dirty to the level that there is a performance drop.

A classic case was of the Palio MJD for which MAF Sensor was cleaned and the car's acceleration was back to normal (so was the FE).

We cannot simply say cleaning MAF wont make any difference. After all you or I cleaned it at mere 40K and found out that there wasn't much dirt on it.

Secondly, however you clean, you will seldom know if the dirty fluid is due to wiping of dirt "On the Sensor" or on the body of the Sensor itself.

It is a very well known fact on how clogged MAF sensors can send wrong volume information to the ECU which in turn would try a corrective action with a change in Fuel-Air ratio and 'et al.
Old 18th March 2015, 12:19   #67
BHPian

I purchased CRC air sensor cleaner from ebay.in. Actually seller was changemytyre.com. This product was made in EU. Used as directed in youtube video. Sensor is 90% cleaner than I used IPA. Fitted MAF back and noticeable difference in ride today, No jerks and pick is smoother now.
Old 22nd March 2015, 16:34   #68
BHPian

I also cleaned the MAF senor for my Ritz petrol. There is a considerable improvement in terms of acceleration. This is the first time that the sensors were cleaned after 30 K on the odo in 5 years.

Thanks to OP for the wonderful tip.
Old 26th March 2015, 23:02   #69
BHPian

You don't necessarily need a specific MAF sensor spray/cleaner. There are carburettor/throttle body cleaner sprays you get in the market (ABRO/STP) that can be used for this. It costs about 100/150 INR for a spray can and will last you over the lifetime of your car. I've been using this for the past 5+ years on all my cars.
Old 27th March 2015, 09:28   #70
BHPian

This is how it looks on i20 petrol. Very different and it has 4 connectors so should be having the same function as others.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY : Cleaning your MAF Sensor for Rs 120-81jxw8uszsl._sl1500_.jpg  

DIY : Cleaning your MAF Sensor for Rs 120-sensor1.jpg  

Old 27th March 2015, 11:37   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjeevgpc View Post
This is how it looks on i20 petrol. Very different and it has 4 connectors so should be having the same function as others.
That looks like a MAP sensor not MAF.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2015, 12:44   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
That looks like a MAP sensor not MAF.
Yes it s a MAP and looks like i20 Petrol has just MAP.
Old 27th March 2015, 13:46   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjeevgpc View Post
Yes it s a MAP and looks like i20 Petrol has just MAP.
MAP sensor needs no cleaning usually and not in a Petrol car. In diesels they are caked with carbon and they still work.
Old 27th April 2015, 16:46   #74
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone tell me a Maruti Zen MPFI AX (2002 model) came with a MAF sensor? (Or just a MAP? I have a irritating low idling (when accelarating) during cold starts that disappears after a minute of idling and its beginning to get on my nerves!
Old 3rd July 2017, 11:14   #75

Hello,
Can someone please shed some light whether the Polo 1.2L MPI has a MAP or a MAF sensor? Tried looking for the MAF the other day, but in vain.
I have been getting EPC light, an unstable idle and hesitation while cold starts for a few months now. Got the throttle body cleaned twice by the dealership, but in a few weeks these problems come back again. Thus, thinking to do a DIY clean up for sensors before heading to the dealership again.
NBpolo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed