Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2017, 14:14   #1591
BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Wow. I'm only familiar with Weld, which, as any nine-year-old might put it, is a thousand million billion times better than Araldyte!

I won't claim that it can make any item immortal, but I have one small bead of it that has held a specs-frame arm together for over a decade. There is a wire-into-ferule joint underneath it, but it is too shallow and the ferule completely lost its grip, so all it does it keep the parts together. The JB Weld holds them together.

I never thought to look online .in, but should have done: Lots of products at Amazon.in!
The Chinese seem to have copied even JB Weld. I noticed in Amazon.in a seller openly declaring his version of JB Weld as manufactured in China. I have saved screenshots of both the original 'Made in USA' and the Chinese version here .
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-chinajbweld.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-usajbweld.jpg  

Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 16:15   #1592
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The Chinese seem to have copied even JB Weld. I noticed in Amazon.in a seller openly declaring his version of JB Weld as manufactured in China. I have saved screenshots of both the original 'Made in USA' and the Chinese version here .
Well spotted! Not very cheap, though, if this really is a chinese rip-off product.

My tubes were bought in UK, maybe more than five years ago (this stuff really does have good shelf life), The type matches the Chinese version in your screen shots. The tubes carry J-B's American address and that of the British distributor (manufacturer under licence? I don't know). There is no explicit made-in statement. I have an unopened pair of tubes, but not the card, which would have been a flood victim.
Old 26th July 2017, 17:51   #1593
Distinguished - BHPian

The torque wrenches would need re-calibration if dropped or from time to time. Where can the calibration be done here if the item is purchased in the USA?
Old 26th July 2017, 20:08   #1594
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The torque wrenches would need re-calibration if dropped or from time to time. Where can the calibration be done here if the item is purchased in the USA?
There are these shops that do calibration of these tools; just need to ask around. The same type of click type torque wrenches are used in the garages here as well.
Old 2nd August 2017, 22:39   #1595
Team-BHP Support

Ordered a floor jack (make: Duralift, capacity: 2 ton) from Industry Buying through COD (paid Rs. 2710; dispatched through Safexpress surface mode) and got it delivered yesterday:

Tools for a DIYer-img_20170802_221314.jpg

It was packed well in 2 separate cardboard boxes but regardless of that, the heavy floor jack ripped the plastic casing (it was made of some cheap material anyway; not planning to keep the case anyway. Will dispose it once I take the jack home.):

Tools for a DIYer-img_20170802_221330.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-cnts.jpg

Construction of the jack is decent (weld joints, quality of paintwork, oil seal etc). Weighs about 7 kg:

Tools for a DIYer-wt.jpg

Total height extension is 330 mm:

Tools for a DIYer-img_20170802_221532.jpg

I was skeptical of ordering through Industry Buying as they are going through a real hard time right now but thankfully got the consignment delivered. Have to get a pair of rubber sandals and make some pads out of them for the saddle of the jack:

Tools for a DIYer-img_20170802_221408.jpg

Also got the 32 mm (for oil filter) and 19 mm (for drain plug) sockets for the ½” drive from a local tool/hardware shop:

Tools for a DIYer-img_20170802_221809.jpg

Awaiting the delivery of the torque wrench.

Speaking of JB Weld, I've not had that great an experience with this epoxy glue. I recall the plastic screw fixtures for the headlamp were broken over a period of usage and I had used JB Weld (imported from the US along with the projector upgrade package) but it didn't last long. OTOH, the desi Bondtite Fast & Clear epoxy glue that I have used on multiple applications so far, has held up quite well. I'd recommend this one wholeheartedly over Araldite and JB Weld. Try it out yourself.
Gannu_1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 23:25   #1596
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Ordered a floor jack (make: Duralift, capacity: 2 ton) from Industry Buying through COD (paid Rs. 2710; dispatched through Safexpress surface mode) and got it delivered yesterday:

Construction of the jack is decent (weld joints, quality of paintwork, oil seal etc). Weighs about 7 kg:
This particular model of Jack is probably the most common jack, sold under many different brands all over the world. I’ve got one too:

I have had it for many years. I think I bought mine from Halford in either the UK or the Netherlands. They are still selling this model, though branded differently, but the model is identical.

As Car Jacks go, a very versatile and quite easy to use Jack. Always use the stands before you get underneath the car.

Or see for more details this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-them-too.html

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 23:36   #1597
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
This particular model of Jack is probably the most common jack, sold under many different brands all over the world.
Oh wow the design and even the paint scheme is the same!

I was searching the internet for a good floor jack but couldn't find one with good user reviews. I then stumbled upon this one. A lot of users say that the car lowers immediately when the valve on the jack is turned. Isn't this the way it works by design? I am yet to test it with the car.

Quote:
Always use the stands before you get underneath the car.
Have a pair of jack stands for quite a while now.

Quote:
Or see for more details this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-them-too.html
Not sure if I've said this before, but an incredible and versatile collection there Jeroen.
Old 2nd August 2017, 23:41   #1598
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oh wow the design and even the paint scheme is the same!

I was searching the internet for a good floor jack but couldn't find one with good user reviews. I then stumbled upon this one. A lot of users say that the car lowers immediately when the valve on the jack is turned. Isn't this the way it works by design? I am yet to test it with the car.
Actually, I have found you can let the car down in a controlled manner by turning the valve a little bit. It might vary from Jack to Jack. My impression is that this exact model gets manufactured and produced by various manufacturers, so there might be some difference in how smoothly they work.
But again, on mine it’s ok. The larger jack works very smooth. No matter the load you can really control the Jack coming down through the valve. But then it’s a very different price range.

Quote:
Not sure if I've said this before, but an incredible and versatile collection there Jeroen.
Thanks, much appreciated. If you like to see some of my tools in use, check out this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...eo-spider.html

We have just bought a new house with a big garage. So hopefully by the end of the year I finally get my own true man cave. Long list of tools that need to be added to the collection!

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 13:31   #1599
Senior - BHPian

Planning to buy a socket set for some basic stuff on my car (i10). May also be used from time to time on Brio, Eon & Wagon R.
Advice needed on:

What size - 1/4, 3/8 or 1/2 inch drive?

What standard - inch or mm - I am guessing mm.

Which brand - suggest something affordable and VFM for a weekend warrior

Anything else that needs to be kept in mind.

Thanks in advance !!
Old 3rd August 2017, 13:40   #1600
Distinguished - BHPian

Unless one has specific special needs, or is American, I think we can forget inches. Anyway, inches or mm would not be the question. My mixed metric/imperial socket set has at least two different kinds of imperial! It is also mixed 1/4 and 3/8. I think you need the smaller size/handles for the smaller sockets. I have a couple of individual 1/2-inch sockets and a 3/8th adapter.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 13:41   #1601
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Planning to buy a socket set for some basic stuff on my car (i10). May also be used from time to time on Brio, Eon & Wagon R.
For regular but not heavy usage, get 46 piece socket set from Force. It is a 1/4 inch one.

Link:

Force 1/4 Inch Socket Combination 46Pcs Set Diy Repair Tool Kit Model:2462

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00TZOLUYC/..._9NTGzb6PHASF6

For heavy duty work, I'll recommend 1/2" socket set. I am using Stanley.

Link:

Stanley STMT72795-8 1/2 inch Drive Metric Socket Set (Chrome, 24-Pieces)

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00N9RCP4U/..._RPTGzb30T7NG8
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 14:43   #1602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Advice needed on:

Well for DIY works one does not need to have a socket set of more than 3/8 inch drive. 1/4 inch is too small and 1/2 inch is too big. 3/8 inch is somewhere in between where it can be used for light to medium duty tasks.
Quote:
India uses mm standards so mm would be good.
Quote:
Which brand - suggest something affordable and VFM for a weekend warrior
Go for some proven and durable Indian brands like Taparia, Eastman, Venus, Ambitec, etc. They are readily available and are VFM too. Better buy it from a local hardware shop as it will be cheaper than buying it online.
Quote:
Anything else that needs to be kept in mind.
Buy preferably chrome vanadium socket set as it is proven and can take a beating.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 21:11   #1603
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Various members have already given their advice. These days most bolts, nuts come as metric, mm. However, everything single bolt on my Royal Enfield Bullet was inches! Mine, was an old restored one, a lot of brand new bolts. Maybe Karol Bagh market hasn’t made the switch to metric.

Even my UK built Jaguar in 2002 is all metric. So unless there is special reason/purpose metric is the best bet these days.

Sharing a few pictures from my tool collection thread. usually when you buy a set of sockets, it comes with the appropiate drives. Big sets with sizes from say 10 to 24/27 might come with two drives.

You can also get simple adaptors so you can make a big drive fit a smaller socket or vice versa. Sorry I don’t have a picture of them separate, but here you see two of these adaptors as part of my torque wrenches.

I have written this before, but especially for sockets and wrenches, try and get a good quality brand. It can get very frustrating with the cheap ones very quickly. They don’t fit properly, damage the bolts/nuts when you need to use force. A good set of spanners and sockets will last you a life time!

Enjoy Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 23:54   #1604
BANNED

Quote:
Is the jack can be used for SUV ?, as the height of the jack seems to be low.
Old 4th August 2017, 19:04   #1605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
Is the jack can be used for SUV ?, as the height of the jack seems to be low.
Max Height should be around 330MM, This wouldnt work with a SUV,

Most Viewed