Team-BHP - Tools for a DIYer
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do it yourself (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/)
-   -   Tools for a DIYer (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/88566-tools-diyer-111.html)

Oh I see. OK. got the small bleed now! The pump output is to a pit in the street which connects to the street drain. Quick photo in the dark.

Tools for a DIYer-pitetc.jpg

Not easily visible from the house as it is behind the car port and some bushes.

^^^
The pump in the picture above:- is that the pump we are talking about?

Regards
Sutripta

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrian (Post 4254965)
Need help here

My motorcycles fork caps are stuck. The fork top tube is chrome plated. The only way to open it is to fix it in a bench vice and use a slogging spanner.

Can I use PVC pipe cut into two halfs as a protector of the fork tube when it is used on the vice. My doubt is will it hold the fork in place without slipping ?
Alternate ideas please ?

PVC may not grip the fork tube well. Better bet would be a rubber/silicone pipe like used in radiator or turbo charged air pipes. Silicone will be very grippy if you can find it. Either one will be better than PVC which is hard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sankar (Post 4256848)
PVC may not grip the fork tube well. Better bet would be a rubber/silicone pipe like used in radiator or turbo charged air pipes. Silicone will be very grippy if you can find it. Either one will be better than PVC which is hard.

Thanks for the great idea Sankarji. I will buy a radiator hose and try my luck. Appreciate the help from a senior Bulleteer:)

regards Arun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrian (Post 4254965)
Need help here

My motorcycles fork caps are stuck. The fork top tube is chrome plated. The only way to open it is to fix it in a bench vice and use a slogging spanner.

Can I use PVC pipe cut into two halfs as a protector of the fork tube when it is used on the vice. My doubt is will it hold the fork in place without slipping ?
Alternate ideas please ?

Most mechanics wrap a piece of tyre tube rubber around the pipe to hold it on a vice. Easy and effective.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutripta (Post 4256839)
The pump in the picture above:- is that the pump we are talking about?

Nope. That's the pump you can see. We're talking about the pump you can't see. :D

My photo of it, the other day, turned our to be a photo of a black pit, but I think I did post a pic of it a few pages ago. It is a submersible, and it lives at the bottom of that pit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 4255625)
Do you have a link, or even a brand?

I thing i gave links for CT in my previous posts.

https://www.amazon.in/YOKINS-Current...nt+transformer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aroy (Post 4257773)
I thing i gave links for CT in my previous posts.

No link in this . Please excuse if I missed it elsewhere.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aroy

No pilot light... and I don't mind cobbling, if I know what specs to cobble, but was advised against it.

Speaking of cobbling. Visible phase pilot lights now installed.

Two pilot lights and a puff of smoke...

Oh dear, RS has so many options for these components and it is so easy to click on the wrong one. Easy, but also stupid. Lesson learned: read carefully and double check! Two pilot lights and a puff of smoke? Two 230v pilot lights, and one 24v. :Frustrati

This is why I called a pro to do the actual connection. There's too many small and silly mistakes in my work these days. Thank goodness that I can, at least recognise that. Dunning-Kruger only a little!

Anyway, I ordered four (the misguided in-series-with-pump idea) and only made the voltage mistake on one of them, so the dead one was quickly replaced.

I'd like to say that I did most of the work, and the electrician just connected them up. But I decided to go for switched, so he provided and installed a three-switch box as well. So all I did was drill for and install the lights themselves.

Now I can see the phase status without taking my feet off the desk
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
Nope. That's the pump you can see. We're talking about the pump you can't see.

The pump you can see, in that pic, has its own on/off indicator: it can probably be heard at the end of the street!

Take a look at these, guys -

Tools for a DIYer-span1.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-span2.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-span3.jpg

Any idea what these are for? Am unable to use it for anything....

It was gifted to me - all I know is that they are from USA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vrprabhu (Post 4259257)

Any idea what these are for? Am unable to use it for anything....

These are Multi-Wrench as the name says it all. Often used as an alternate to having multiple spanners.

A single wrench can be used for different sized bolts/nuts by adjusting. The base lever is what will hold the ultimate grip while rest of the inside edges will support that.

Quote:

The base lever is what will hold the ultimate grip while rest of the inside edges will support that.
It's a wonderful idea if it works. Adjustable spanners that don't need adjusting! If they work well, then a handy thing to have in the tool kit, but I would not throw out the individual spanners, which are nut and bolt friendly, matching the profile properly and applying the force evenly.

Be kind to your nuts, screws and bolts: use the correct size of spanner or socket. But if you don't have one handy... :D

As long as you can get a firm grip - make sure that two edges of the nut/bolt are square on and the corner fits in its slot, these work quite well in emergencies. I have one which I use quite often, as these are normally better than open ended spanners which can splay out under load and round the corners, even though I have a range of open ended, ring and socket spanners of every size between 8mm and 36mm as well as corresponding American and British sizes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vrprabhu (Post 4259257)
Take a look at these, guys - Any idea what these are for? Am unable to use it for anything....It was gifted to me - all I know is that they are from USA.

I use them all the time as they are easier to use than normal adjustable wrenches with a screw operated jaw. However, do keep in mind these are not for heavy duty workloads.

Just decided to fulfil a long postponed purchase - a set of good quality wire stripping and crimping tools, for my DIY car and possibly home projects. I take electricity and connectors very seriously. The tools include:

a) Wire ferrule connector crimper - for ferrules, obviously
b) Insulated terminal ratchet crimper - For spade, butt, ring & bullet connectors
c) A 2-in-1 Pro grade wire stripper & insulated/non-insulated terminal crimper. this one doesn't have a ratchet

The crimpers are mostly for wires of sizes up to 1-6 sq. mm i.e. 17-10 AWG approximately

I still have the basic Stanley stripping crimping tool and network connector RJ45 crimper that I'd purchased back in the early 2Ks whilst living in Ol' Blighty. The Stanley was a big deal for me back in those days. We Desis generally used pliers to strip off insulation and crimp terminals back then. I even remember occasions when I used a Swiss Army knife. lol: The SAK is one tool I simply cannot live without.

PS - Also purchased a set of assorted connectors off Amazon, eBay and locally. No more twisting wires together to make connections.

I'm fascinated by the Smiths Little Torch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiPG-PS_Do8

I would use butane as the fuel gas. How much would it cost here to set up with a small cylinder of oxygen and the regulators for butane and O2? And what connectors would I need on the hose ends?

Previous experience: Seivert butane torch, no gas/air.