Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2017, 15:49   #1741
BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Plastic can be just as good as steel. I have my spanner collection in a plastic box (Shuter/Shutter?) as well as my drill box mentioned above. The drill box has been around over a decade.
Seeing Taparia products along side Stanley, Bosch, Skil. How good are they?
Old 11th December 2017, 16:39   #1742
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
In my experience Taparia tools are just as good, if not better, as Stanley or Bosch. I buy them without hesitation.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 16:44   #1743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hand tools come in a lot of grades. Professional ones are generally made from chrome vanadium steel with heavy plating to prevent rusting. Cheaper varieties; as their name suggests; are made from lower cost materials.

Most of Taparia tools are professional grade and will last for decades. Stanley made in China are not as rugged and in many cases made from inferior steel, hence cheaper, but not long lasting.

The only problem with inferior steel is that under load, the sharp edges of screw drivers round off, open ended spanners tend to open up and sockets get rounded. Good enough for an occasional use, but can give way under load.

Skill and Bosch had the same parent company so their products should be similar quality at each price band. Both deal with power tools.
Aroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 16:48   #1744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Most of Taparia tools are professional grade and will last for decades. Stanley made in China are not as rugged and in many cases made from inferior steel, hence cheaper, but not long lasting.

Skill and Bosch had the same parent company so their products should be similar quality at each price band. Both deal with power tools.
This is some news to me. All this while was thinking that Stanley is superior than any other. Taparia the brand was in picture due to Jazzmyride sale couple of years back. Will settle for a Taparia storage box for the longevity.
dre@ms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 17:11   #1745
BANNED

In India, its always better to settle with Taparia, my reason for the same being contradicting user experience in comparison to online reviews.

During the first Flipkart flash sale a lot of people I know including myself purchased Bosch tool kits and from the lot I'm the only one who still has the kit intact, mainly due to having Taparia 1/2 drive tools which are kept for the heavier tasks.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 18:10   #1746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is some news to me. All this while was thinking that Stanley is superior than any other. Taparia the brand was in picture due to Jazzmyride sale couple of years back. Will settle for a Taparia storage box for the longevity.
Stanley was excellent when made in West. Now that is made in China it caters mainly to the lower end of the market.

At one time Gedore India was premier hand tools manufacturer it is now Jhalani), and they have factories all over the world, supplying profession sector. My Gedore 1/2" drive, bits and accessories are still there after more than 45 years of use. Taparia came later in collaboration with Bahco and their hand tools are still of the same quality.

One name often missed is Everest. They export Chrome Vanadium hand tools, but have a cheaper line also. Check the material when buying Everest. Recently I bought a set of combination spanners made from Chrome Vanadium steel.
Aroy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 20:12   #1747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post4290051 (Tools for a DIYer)

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 20:38   #1748
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Taparia came later in collaboration with Bahco and their hand tools are still of the same quality
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
+1. I bought a Taparia socket set after consulting 2 of my FNGs and they swear by the name. Stanley is okayish. Bosch good for the power tools.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 23:41   #1749
NH7
BHPian

Quote:
Mate, honestly I think it's a difference that's mainly in our heads. Perception is that Made in Germany has to be vastly superior than made in India. Reality is, original Taparia brand tools are not ' local quality' or inferior to such an extent that they are unsafe or unsuitable for DIY,around the house/ garage and more. Far from it. Those will be the China bazaar and teleshopping tools.

I've had a mainly Taparia home kit(some bits 3rd generation hand me down!) for a decade now, while I use Stanley/ Bahco/Eclipse/ RS catalogue stuff in my workplace. Both sets do the job perfectly well, though obviously duty,loads, conditions etc are much more demanding at work.
NH7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 10:35   #1750
BHPian

Thanks all for the suggestions/recommendations. Talking about Taparia, Everest from where do you guys source them? Industry buying/local hardware shops/Online retailers like Amazon/Flipkart/Snapdeal?
Old 12th December 2017, 15:37   #1751
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all for the suggestions/recommendations. Talking about Taparia, Everest from where do you guys source them? Industry buying/local hardware shops/Online retailers like Amazon/Flipkart/Snapdeal?
Every city has a street where all the industrial equipment shops are concentrated. In Bangalore, it is SP road near the city market. This is where the best deals and stock will be available. Do ask around for a similar place in Chennai. Industrial areas like Ambattur would also have these shops but they tend to be fewer. Prices in shops are competitive with online marketplaces.

I suggest you look at online catalogues of Taparia, etc before you go to the shop so that you know what's available.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 18:31   #1752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
Every city has a street where all the industrial equipment shops are concentrated. In Bangalore, it is SP road near the city market. This is where the best deals and stock will be available. Do ask around for a similar place in Chennai. Industrial areas like Ambattur would also have these shops but they tend to be fewer. Prices in shops are competitive with online marketplaces.

I suggest you look at online catalogues of Taparia, etc before you go to the shop so that you know what's available.
Here in Delhi you can get hand tools in Chawri Bazar area at a steep discount to the catalog prices. Varies from 20% to 40%.
Old 13th December 2017, 13:29   #1753
BHPian

Friends, Need a quick help about drill bits.
Which are the locally available good HSS drill bits? (I dont want the bosch drill bits).
I used to have a few good ones manufactured by a company whose logo was an "A" inside a circle. I threw them away when I bought bosch drill set. (big mistake).
Do you know that company? I think it was ASK or something similar but can't find that name in google.
Old 13th December 2017, 14:53   #1754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In Bangalore Taparia hand tools are available in almost all hardware shops.
You just have to ask by name.

The pattern I have seen is that hardware shops mostly shift to the areas wherever heavy construction activity is happening .
For example these days you will find a lot of shops on Sarjapur road. Every city has one market where hardware shops are clustured but unless you are buying things in bulk there is no point going to specialized markets buying from nearby shop works better.

Last edited by amitk26 : 13th December 2017 at 14:55.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 14:57   #1755
BHPian

I am planning to do a DIY love bird cage using PVC pipe. Is a PVC cutter worth getting for this project or regular hacksaw blade is enough? Anyone has experience working with PVC cutters?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks