Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2017, 11:06   #1771
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj2268 View Post
Biting the bullet on a household drill. Read through half this thread in the last 6-8 hours however the more I scrolled through, the more confused I became! :(
I got the Bosch GSB 10 RE that diyguy has mentioned.

https://www.amazon.in/Bosch-GSB-10-R...ional+tool+kit

However, this one is good too; it is cordless so slightly less heavy duty but also means, easily usable by others in the family.

https://www.amazon.in/Black-Decker-C...words=cd121k50

I used the B&D Cordless one to fix a whiteboard and it did the job perfectly. I got the Bosch one just in case I need something stronger.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 09:40   #1772
BHPian

The B&D cordless drill you have mentioned is based on older Ni-Cd battery technology. It is not good for occasional users as it has the tendency to have memory issues if not used regularly. What that means is if you store it at say 60% for a long time, the battery will stop charging beyond 60% and thus, the actual capacity decreases. Li-ion solves such problems and can be stored at any charged state without decrease in it's capacity. So it's better to go for a Li-ion cordless power tool instead of Ni-Cd in today's time.
rdst_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 14:09   #1773
BHPian

Placed an order for the GRB 10 RE now. Got it for a deal price 2799. Stoked! Eagerly waiting for it to show up
Old 26th January 2018, 20:51   #1774

Just pampered myself with Dremel 4300-5/40, from amazon.com. wanted to get one for a very long time.
Old 27th January 2018, 00:31   #1775
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi.N View Post
Just pampered myself with Dremel 4300-5/40 ...
Congratulations

Does it come with a chuck? If not, this should be your first addition. Collets are good at what they do, but it's a nuisance to change them, and they're never the right size for stuff that didn't come with the Dremel.
Old 27th January 2018, 16:17   #1776
Distinguished - BHPian

Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
The B&D cordless drill you have mentioned is based on older Ni-Cd battery technology. It is not good for occasional users as it has the tendency to have memory issues if not used regularly. What that means is if you store it at say 60% for a long time, the battery will stop charging beyond 60% and thus, the actual capacity decreases. Li-ion solves such problems and can be stored at any charged state without decrease in it's capacity. So it's better to go for a Li-ion cordless power tool instead of Ni-Cd in today's time.

I have owned several "electric cordless drills" over the years. About four months ago We moved into a new home. With endless DIY jobs to be done I decided to buy a new power drill and a cordless one.

Tools for a DIYer-p1035517.jpg

This is my very first Li-ion device ever. And I can honestly say I am hugely impressed. These new batteries are phenomenal. A single charge lasts forever and you get normal power and torque until it just stops. A one hour charge gets you well over 80% capacity again. My set comes with two batteries, so it lasts for ever, or at least outdoes my performance.

The other thing I like about this particular device is the fact it is very compact and yet still packs a real punch, has a light and an electronic torque limiter which is very useful.

I keep all my tools in my garage/shed and that also means they have been stored in temperatures around -4 to 7oC. I never noticed any adverse effects of the temperature on the battery and or performance.

I like Bosch tools. I wouldn't call them professional tools, but they are solid, well made DIY tools. I like the way they look and feel and they come in these handy and sturdy storage boxes.

Jeroen

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 30th January 2018 at 10:59. Reason: Picture resized
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2018, 19:49   #1777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I wouldn't call them professional tools, but they are solid, well made DIY tools.
Bosch power tools - Green DIY, Blue Professional.

The choice of a mechanical 2 speed gearbox is great. Most people think that electronic speed control means one can do without a gearbox.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 27th January 2018 at 20:00.
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2018, 20:27   #1778
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Bosch power tools - Green DIY, Blue Professional.

The choice of a mechanical 2 speed gearbox is great. Most people think that electronic speed control means one can do without a gearbox.

Yes, but funnily I don't recall seeing Blue Bosch power drills ever being used by pro,s. The Bosch pro line is approx 2-4 more expensive here then the hobby version. Which is still cheap for what most professional would be spending on a power tool.

i have a few friends here who run professional workshops and they tell me any hand held power drill less than euro 500 -750 isnt worth buying for professional use. That would makes the blue Bosch an expensive hobby item.

In the end its probably a personal preference, depending on your actual use of the tool.

Use for a gearbox depends a bit on drill bit size and material. Mind you a high quality drill bit can make a world of difference on how easily you can drill.

For us DIY-ers I would say, hobby power tools are usually fine, but when it comes to the drill bits get the best money can buy! My drill bits cost a whole lot more than the power tools.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2018, 15:41   #1779
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, but funnily I don't recall seeing Blue Bosch power drills ever being used by pro,s.

i have a few friends here who run professional workshops and they tell me any hand held power drill less than euro 500 -750 isnt worth buying for professional use. That would makes the blue Bosch an expensive hobby item.

Jeroen
It depends a lot on what usage you want out of your drill.
The Bosch Blue 18V tools are definitely professional grade stuff. Concrete drills i.e. Rotary Hammer Drills are definitely expensive. Best concrete drills are made by Hilti. I bought one of their starter corded models a month or two ago and even that costs around $350 or so. However one can get a more capable model (only spec wise) from either Dewalt, Makita, Bosch, Hitachi for same or even lesser amount. Even those models are great but the Hilti is made for 24x7 operation and that's why pros working day in and day out with concrete would prefer spending more than double on a Hilti.

However, if you would be working on wood or bricks, even a $200-250 drill is more than enough. In fact, that is what a top of the line drill from your regular manufacturer like Dewalt/Bosch/Makita will cost you and these are used by construction crews working with wood all around the world.

I had purchased my top of the line Dewalt Hammer Drill and Impact Driver set from Amazon Canada for C$285 during last year's Christmas sale and have been using them everywhere during the construction of my house and dairy shed. Works flawlessly on wood, bamboo and bricks. Only needed to purchase the Hilti when I had to work on rebar reinforced Concrete. Bought special Hilti bits alongwith the Rotary drill which chew through even the rebar.
rdst_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2018, 19:25   #1780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but when it comes to the drill bits get the best money can buy! My drill bits cost a whole lot more than the power tools.

Jeroen

Drill bits (even the most expensive) need (re)sharpening to work effectively. Most DIYers throw away the bit once it gets blunt. Admittedly sharpening small drills is best done on say a Drill Doctor or similar.

This cheap/ expensive thing came about because of (fraudently) mislabeled goods from our neighbour (which has flooded the world market, not just India. Aided by the catalogue houses). Before that tools made by different manufacturers of the same grade were priced close to each other. It has also caused a distortion of the 'knowledgebase'. Like someone mentioned that one needs carbides to machine SS. Actully HSS (M2 mostly, M35/ M42 for production machines) will happily cut through SS.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 28th January 2018 at 19:33.
Old 28th January 2018, 19:29   #1781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Congratulations

Does it come with a chuck? If not, this should be your first addition. Collets are good at what they do, but it's a nuisance to change them, and they're never the right size for stuff that didn't come with the Dremel.
Thank you so much.

Yes it does.

Model : Dremel 4300-5/40 and comes with 3-Jaw Chuck, 5 Attachments and 40 Accessories.
Ravi.N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2018, 23:00   #1782
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Drill bits (even the most expensive) need (re)sharpening to work effectively. Most DIYers throw away the bit once it gets blunt. ... ... ...
Most DIYers don't have a bench grinder. I don't --- although I am always thinking of buying one. I would want to use grinding wheels, wire brushes and polishing mops.

Way back then, I had a big old thing with polishing mop attachment one end and grinding wheel the other. Once upon a time, I had a clue how to sharpen drill bits. I wouldn't claim that now. But I could probably make one cut a non-accurate hole in softish material.

I used to make sewing needles into spear-point bits for drilling silver
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 19:15   #1783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Most DIYers don't have a bench grinder.
Walk over to your FNMachineShop.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 22:32   #1784
Distinguished - BHPian

It wouldn't be very far. There are some engineering workshops in a street near to me. I notice traditional machines as I glance through the doors, and, I think maybe one CNC. Language might be a problem though!

But investing in my own motor for polishing, brushing and grinding. Yes, I will one day. I have had this Makita on my Amazon wish list for a while.

Might be a bit small though. My early experience with these things was real-workshop gear, and the one I had, from an emigrating jeweller, was quite a big motor. I don't think I ever did anything that slowed it down.
Old 30th January 2018, 10:36   #1785
BHPian

I picked up a Taparia tool box from Amazon. It is sturdy and hopefully should accommodate many of my tools.
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-tapariatoolbox2.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-tapariatoolbox.jpg  

Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed