Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2018, 15:37   #1861
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

I haven't invested in a drilling machine, as I reside in rental houses and I never install any nails or do any other modification to the houses I stay in. But if a cordless drilling machine can help me polish my car and bikes, it becomes an interesting opportunity.

Can these cordless drilling machines (with suitable attachments) be used for polishing work? Or are there other special tools for that specifically?
Old 12th June 2018, 15:41   #1862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post

Can these cordless drilling machines (with suitable attachments) be used for polishing work? Or are there other special tools for that specifically?
I think you mean this:

https://www.amazon.in/Meguiars-G3500.../dp/B00QKI5NAI

https://www.amazon.in/Meguiars-G5510...c+power+system

I have one, but after a while it becomes quite painful with the heavy drill and the small 3 inch pads.
Ultimately bought a proper DA random orbital polisher. Now the DA power system fixture is lying unused.

Last edited by blackasta : 12th June 2018 at 15:46.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 15:48   #1863
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post

A proper polishing machine doesn't just rotate, but provides and eccentric motion. Using a rotational movement only will likely leave swirls in the paint.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 16:19   #1864
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
The Bosch one mentioned above by sagarpadaki has a Li-Ion battery, so should be able to hold charge longer and be usable for simple screw in / outs. Don't expect any force / drilling power.
It's meant for light jobs and it's a good tool to have in the home. Now that you pointed out te Li-ion battery bit I scrolled down to read the fine print and yes, indeed, it is Li ion! For the price it seems like a nice little piece of kit.

This is on my wish list.

Quote:
I have a B&D which spends more time plugged in than being used, as charge retentivity is extremely poor due to the NiCd battery. One of my bad investments in power tools if I may say so.
Ditto, my NiCd powered B&D screwdriver and cordless drill are gathering dust and they are old which means batteries are difficult to find. Which is why I prefer Li-ion henceforth.

Quote:
For all serious work, I use my Bosch drill & Makita impact driver (both corded).
I have begun to prefer corded now in most circumstances. When my B&D cordless drill battery became weak I purchased a B&D 700W corded model which works like a charm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I have this and it is outstanding. Even bought an adapter for use with nuts and bolts. And also bought a drill adapter for small drill bits. Highly recommended. Holds charge forever.
I got a good deal on one of the snap deal sales a few years ago for Rs. 4000.
I gotta get me one of these. One more tool to added my wish list. Jeez! This thread is addictive.

Gents, does anybody have a or know of a cordless impact wrench that can take off 21 mm wheel lug nuts? I need a model with that can remove lugs torqued to about 76 ft/lbs or 103 NM.
Old 12th June 2018, 16:34   #1865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I think you mean this:

https://www.amazon.in/Meguiars-G3500.../dp/B00QKI5NAI

https://www.amazon.in/Meguiars-G5510...c+power+system

I have one, but after a while it becomes quite painful with the heavy drill and the small 3 inch pads.
Ultimately bought a proper DA random orbital polisher. Now the DA power system fixture is lying unused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
A proper polishing machine doesn't just rotate, but provides and eccentric motion. Using a rotational movement only will likely leave swirls in the paint.

Jeroen
Thank you for your valuable inputs. Going by the cost, the effort and expertise required along with the likely possibility of the DA polisher joining the already rarely used kit of polishes, Collinite-85, waxes and other car care products, I have decided to drop this idea
Old 12th June 2018, 16:52   #1866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Gents, does anybody have a or know of a cordless impact wrench that can take off 21 mm wheel lug nuts? I need a model with that can remove lugs torqued to about 76 ft/lbs or 103 NM.
Any cordless compact impact wrench from the house of Dewalt, Makita, Bosch, Hitachi will be able to take care of that (Usually around 150-200 ft-lb capacity. The proper models have around 500 ft-lb capacity) . Hell, even an impact driver with a 1/2 inch drive nutsetter attachment works (as I just tried) , but not recommended.

The issue is that these are just too expensive in India. I ordered my Dewalt 18V Cordless Drill and Impact driver combo for around 18k from Canada and had a friend bring it down. Just the drill from that combo costs around 30k in India. So if you can ask someone to carry it down for you from US/Canada, only then does it make sense.
rdst_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 16:52   #1867
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The model i have goes to 100NM fully charged.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 18:45   #1868
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
The issue is that these are just too expensive in India. I ordered my Dewalt 18V Cordless Drill and Impact driver combo for around 18k from Canada and had a friend bring it down. Just the drill from that combo costs around 30k in India. So if you can ask someone to carry it down for you from US/Canada, only then does it make sense.
Thanks rdst_1, any Dewalt model you have in mind? I could get one from the UAE where it's probably less expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
The model i have goes to 100NM fully charged.
Thanks, that's close and at a decent price compared to the others. It's certainly on my wishlist for tasks that don't require so much grunt.

My car's wheel lug nuts are tightened up to 76ft/lbs/103 or upto 80 ft/lbs or 108 NM (4 ft/lbs extra torque before highway runs just to be sure) using a torque wrench as per workshop manual specs so this may be so very slightly under-powered. Something that does 105-120 NM would be good. Do you have any suggestions?

Last edited by R2D2 : 12th June 2018 at 18:48.
Old 12th June 2018, 18:47   #1869
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,

Would anyone know where i can source this particular tape? 3M Scotch Extreme Mounting Tape, 1" by 60-Inch, Black, 2 Sets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DMD1K9Z..._BY7hBb935YR8D

Its a weather proof outdoor bonding tape that is capable of holding 5 kgs.
Old 12th June 2018, 20:30   #1870
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks rdst_1, any Dewalt model you have in mind? I could get one from the UAE where it's probably less expensive.
1) DCF 890 3/8" Compact Impact Wrench - 150 ft-lb. You'll have to buy 3/8" square drive sockets to use with it.

2) DCF 894 1/2" Mid-range Impact Wrench - 330 ft-lb

3) DCF 899 1/2" High Torque Impact Wrench - 700ft-lb with 1200ft-lb breakaway torque.

All of these are the latest models with some of the respective older options also available simultaneously. Don't know if the latest models will be available in UAE or not.

All of these come in various kits ranging from bare-tool to 1 battery and 2 battery combos. Please only go with 4/5Ah batteries as torque will be a little less with lower capacity batteries.

All come with two types of socket retention mechanism - Hog Ring or Detent Pin Anvil. Most sockets available in the market is of the 'detent pin anvil' type. So choose accordingly.
Old 12th June 2018, 20:45   #1871
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
All come with two types of socket retention mechanism - Hog Ring or Detent Pin Anvil. Most sockets available in the market is of the 'detent pin anvil' type. So choose accordingly.
Thanks for that tip!

My torque wrenches are 3/8"/10 mm square drive & I will need something that fits both. So the detent pin type drive/socket will be the one I want. But I'll probably buy a new set of 15-22 mm sockets to use with this tool.
Old 12th June 2018, 21:47   #1872
BHPian

Quote:
You should not blindly buy a cordless tool based on your one off requirement. You should plan it before you jump into the cordless bandwagon.
If you can source tools from abroad for the next foreseeable future, I would suggest Dewalt, Makita or Milwaukee 18V LiOn tools. Dewalt DCF899 is the best Impact Wrench out there with a break away torque of 1600NM. I bought one from US and costed me ~13000 for the bare tool without battery. I had Dewalt 18V batteries from my Cordless drill, hence needed only the tool. Also do note the Dewalt 20V Max systems available in US is same as the Dewalt 18V Max available in UK/Aus. 20V is the fully charged battery voltage and 18V is the nominal voltage (Regulation in few countries allows to publish only the nominal voltage). I am using 20V DCF899 Impact wrench with 18V batteries bought from UK.

If you foresee difficulty in getting tools from abroad (think long term), I would strongly suggest you to buy Bosch 18v Impact wrench or Drill. You can later add Drills, Wrenches, drivers, vacuum etc to your cordless toolkit.

I made the mistake of jumping into the Lion cordless systems too soon. I initially purchased Milwaukee M12 12V Lion systems (Cordless Drill, Impact Driver, Hackzall, Rotary tool-Dremel) 4 years ago. Later realized I needed a few powerful tools and ended up adding Dewalt 18V Max systems for the Hammer Drill, Impact Wrench and Circular Saw. And now I need a cordless blower and a Vacuum to add to my Dewalt 18V, but my friends are not ready to carry big items. The prices here are exorbitant and I can buy a Bosch cordless kit for just the shipping price quoted for the blower. And buying Bosch kit means adding a 3rd set of batteries and charger.

Another point to note is that the 18v Lion batteries with capacities above 4Ah is quite heavy. So if possible, add a 1.5Ah or 2Ah battery to your kit for small jobs. This was another mistake I made by buying 5Ah and 6Ah batteries ignoring the smaller 1.5Ah and 2Ah batteries. The DCF899 Impact Wrench with a 5Ah battery is too heavy to use at awkward angles like under the car or removing suspension components. Same is case while drilling at angles. Many a times I wished I had a 2Ah or a lower battery. For normal jobs, a 5Ah battery is an overkilll. Just to give you a perceptive: I have removed and refitted atleast 10 wheels which make 50 wheel nuts, drilled 6-8 holes on cement walls and 3 holes in Concrete in last 6 months and the 5Ah battery still has 2/3rd charge left.

Quote:
All of these come in various kits ranging from bare-tool to 1 battery and 2 battery combos. Please only go with 4/5Ah batteries as torque will be a little less with lower capacity batteries.
Unlike NiCd systems, Lion batteries and tools will not show any degradation in power when you use smaller capacity batteries. The torque, power and speed will be same irrespective of the battery capacity. As I mentioned above, I strongly advice to go for multiple small capacity batteries than going for 1 big capacity battery for your normal home usage. The weight advantage while working with heavy tools is something that cannot be ignored.
Holyghost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 08:12   #1873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Unlike NiCd systems, Lion batteries and tools will not show any degradation in power when you use smaller capacity batteries. The torque, power and speed will be same irrespective of the battery capacity. As I mentioned above, I strongly advice to go for multiple small capacity batteries than going for 1 big capacity battery for your normal home usage. The weight advantage while working with heavy tools is something that cannot be ignored.
I don't think your usage has been long enough or hard enough. My inferences has not only been due to my daily use, but based on tradesman usage on power tool forums I visit. Those guys run through multiple batteries during a day and yes, their thinking could also be an urban myth, but this is something all of them feel the same about.
They feel, that high torque devices benefit from high capacity batteries over lower capacity batteries.
I, myself prefer 4/5Ah batteries, even though I have 2Ah (Indian bought) as well. I feel that with them, the drill feels a lot more balanced whereas with the lighter 2Ah battery it feels top and nose heavy.
Old 13th June 2018, 11:20   #1874
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think your usage has been long enough or hard enough. My inferences has not only been due to my daily use, but based on tradesman usage on power tool forums I visit. Those guys run through multiple batteries during a day and yes, their thinking could also be an urban myth, but this is something all of them feel the same about.
They feel, that high torque devices benefit from high capacity batteries over lower capacity batteries.
Yeah, it is applicable to very high torque devices. I have seen it happen on my Circular Saw when I borrowed my friends 2Ah batteries for an outdoor work. This saw can run through a 5Ah battery in 5-10 mins if used incorrectly, while it can last half day work if used properly. The carpenter was not even able to run the tool with 2Ah batteries. He was applying too much pressure on the tool and the battery protection circuit was preventing the tool from running. With the 5Ah batteries, he was able to run the tool, but the juice ran out in less than 10 mins. Had to give him a session on proper usage after which things were fine. Never seen this happening with the Drill or Impact wrench as they dont need that kind of power draw from the batteries.

Another point about Dewalt: Those who are planning for Dewalt 18v/20v do note that Dewalt is moving towards 60V(54v Non-US) and 120V (Twin 60V Battery Setup which will replace their current 40V tools). Check out for combo offers from dewalt wherein they provide 60V Flexvolt batteries with 18v tools. I got a 60V Flexvolt battery and charger as a gift with my 18v Hammer Drill last year. These batteries are compatible with 20V, 60v and 120v(need 2 batteries) tools which will make your batteries future proof atleast for next few years.
Also, the DCF899 impact wrench has been around for few years and might be due for an upgrade. I have it since 2016, I guess it was launched much before that. They upgrade their Drills every year and it is interesting that they are keeping this for 3 years without an upgrade.

The 60v (54v) Battery which I received last year. Compatible with 20v tools and charger.
Tools for a DIYer-img_20180613_110122.jpg

Last edited by Holyghost : 13th June 2018 at 11:25.
Holyghost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 11:42   #1875
Senior - BHPian

Wood is composed of natural fibres, which compress under load and then relax once the load is reduced.

As far as I can recollect, wood screws work by compressing the wood fibres when they are screwed. The fibres then relax and clamp on the screw. That is why you should never dill a pilot hole or hammer the screws in, you reduce the compression offered by the wood fibres. Another tip that I got from a those who work on large wooden structures is to use blunt nails. These again do not cut the fibre but move them so that the nail goes between fibres, and once they relax they grip the nail strongly.

This behaviour is one of the reasons that extremely hard woods and MDF are not able to hold wood screws or nails - they simply come out, and you have to use nut and bolt to hold pieces together.

Most Viewed