Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2018, 20:55   #1936
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

^^^
Those cheap Amazon gadgets are essentially choppers and not a step down transformer. Can be used safely only with resistive heating loads.
Anything else - caveat emptor.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 08:19   #1937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Any recommendations for a hydraulic jack? Amazon is showing generic bottle jacks with iffy reviews.
Get the generic stuff. I have been using one for 3-4 years without issues. The problem is that most people do not know how to use a particular piece of machinery and then come back and whine on the review boards.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 12:15   #1938
BHPian

I was looking for this type of wrench for tyre changes and other uses. Has any one used this wrench and how is the quality? Weighs 1.4 Kg

Taparia CW7981 Cross Rim Wrench:
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...=AT95IG9ONZD7S

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th September 2018 at 17:03. Reason: Adding spaces after punctuation marks.
Old 17th September 2018, 12:28   #1939
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
I was looking for this type of wrench for tyre changes and other uses.Has any one used this wrench and how is the quality?..weighs 1.4 Kg
I have been using a socket wrench for years as after upgrading to alloys, the stock wrench was unable to open the wheel nuts. I will have to check if that's a 3/4" or 1/2" drive but the socket size is 19, which is needed in most cars.
Getting a socket handle bar/ drive is a better option than the cross wrench in my opinion as you can buy compatible sockets of different size afterwards and build your own set as per your usage. A good heavy duty drive handle will cost you anything between 300-400 bucks and sockets may cost you between 100-150 rupees. So, investment wise, both will be in the same ballpark, but usage wise a removable socket + drive set will be lot more flexible.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 12:50   #1940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I have been using a socket wrench for years as after upgrading to alloys, the stock wrench was unable to open the wheel nuts. I will have to check if that's a 3/4" or 1/2" drive but the socket size is 19, which is needed in most cars.
Getting a socket handle bar/ drive is a better option than the cross wrench in my opinion as you can buy compatible sockets of different size afterwards and build your own set as per your usage. A good heavy duty drive handle will cost you anything between 300-400 bucks and sockets may cost you between 100-150 rupees. So, investment wise, both will be in the same ballpark, but usage wise a removable socket + drive set will be lot more flexible.

Regards,
Saket.
Actually I thought of carrying this wrench in the boot of my car for use during tyre replacement on highways etc.Tyre shops have this tool.
However,your suggestion appears to me a better option for multiple use case scenarios(like at household)
I can have one or two suitable sockets for the car with a good quality rod. I will enquire in shops.
Thanks
Regards
Gopal

Last edited by virgopal : 17th September 2018 at 12:52. Reason: Text
virgopal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 13:06   #1941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was looking for this type of wrench for tyre changes and other uses.
This cross rim wrench by Taparia is a good, value for money product. I own one and and can vouch for its effectiveness. However, whether it is indeed the item you should pick up is a matter that depends on what your other uses are. If you intend to work on the car on your own extensively, a socket wrench would, as suggested by saket77 be better. But as just a quality substitute for company supplied wheel spanner, the wrench in question will more than suffice. Also, there is the minor issue of money: A good socket wrench set will cost 3-4 times that of a cross rim wrench.
dailydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 13:48   #1942
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Actually I thought of carrying this wrench in the boot of my car for use during tyre replacement on highways etc.Tyre shops have this tool.
I carry the the drive handle bar and the socket in my car. It takes less space than the Cross wrench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
This cross rim wrench by Taparia is a good, value for money product. I own one and and can vouch for its effectiveness.
I have a few Taparia tools and can confidently say that their solidity is top notch. Value for money- no doubt plus a good product.

Quote:
Also, there is the minor issue of money: A good socket wrench set will cost 3-4 times that of a cross rim wrench.
Yes, a set will cost much more. I bought a 1/2" Drive Stanley socket set for about 2.8K after discount from amazon. But that's a complete socket wrench set.

But much before, I just got a separate handle for about 375 rupees (I think it's Taparia only) which is heavy, very solid and feels indestructible along with a good 19" socket for about 150 bucks, all bought locally. So, all done around Rs 500/- a few years ago.

Regards,
Saket.

Last edited by saket77 : 17th September 2018 at 13:50.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 15:31   #1943
BHPian

Quote:
..This cross rim wrench by Taparia is a good, value for money product. I own one and and can vouch for its effectiveness. However, whether it is indeed the item you should pick up is a matter that depends on what your other uses are. If you intend to work on the car on your own extensively, a socket wrench would, as suggested by saket77 be better. But as just a quality substitute for company supplied wheel spanner, the wrench in question will more than suffice. Also, there is the minor issue of money: A good socket wrench set will cost 3-4 times that of a cross rim wrench.
Exactly. Principally, I need it as a quality replacement for the supplied wheel spanner by a reputed company like Taparia. I can use some other available sockets for household use... I have Taparia basic household tool set, screwdriver set etc. They are solidly built.

Thanks saket and dailydriver for your valuable inputs.

I think I will go for this Taparia wrench now. I can save some ₹₹₹ also!
PS: Saket: Handle+ 19" socket costed @₹500 earlier. Present one on Amazon is ~₹400.. Not much difference.

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th September 2018 at 17:07. Reason: You must always include spaces after punctuation marks.
virgopal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 11:53   #1944
Senior - BHPian

Actually I prefer this type
https://www.amazon.com/inch-Metric-C...251620&sr=1-18

It has a spade tip at one end, useful for prying wheel caps
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 13:54   #1945
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was looking for this type of wrench for tyre changes and other uses.Has any one used this wrench and how is the quality?..weighs 1.4 Kg
This will need a lot of energy to loosen the lug nuts that are tightened using an impact gun. Typically big tyre shops and service centers use the impact guns to tighten the lug nuts in which case they are in there pretty tight. You need a lot of force to loosen them and this type of wrench does not allow you to apply a lot of force since the length is small. I have a similar one and had a very had shoulder pain when I had to loosen 4 lug nuts previously tightened by the service center when there was a nail in one of the tyres.

Better would be to get a breaker bar with a 1/2 inch square drive and a socket that fits the lug nuts. Can you share the link of the one you purchased?
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 14:57   #1946
BHPian

Sagarpadaki, thanks. Yes, now I realise the effort needed to loosen the wheel nuts tightened by impact gun. I had never seen how it is tightened by tyre shops.

As already ordered and about to receive, I can't cancel. No issue as it is a low cost item.
Breaker bar with square drive+ Socket you have suggested (also suggested by saket77 earlier), I will try to search on net.

The one I have ordered(₹333) from amazon.in:

Thanks saket77, dailydriver, sagarpadaki for your help.

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th September 2018 at 17:08. Reason: You must always include spaces after punctuation marks.
virgopal is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th September 2018, 15:14   #1947
BHPian

I used to have the same wrench as you have ordered but have now moved to a 1/2 square drive L handle that I saw was used by most puncture walas. The long L-handle helps in easily removing the lug nuts with much less force than required by a cross wrench.
Old 19th September 2018, 20:50   #1948
Distinguished - BHPian

What's wrong with the wrench supplied with the car?

Not that, having tried it once, I have any hope of actually removing those machine-tightened bolts with it. But, if I could remember to put a piece of steel pipe in the car...
Old 19th September 2018, 21:22   #1949
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What's wrong with the wrench supplied with the car? Not that, having tried it once, I have any hope of actually removing those machine-tightened bolts with it. But, if I could remember to put a piece of steel pipe in the car...
Actually machine tight is better than over tightened by many a tyrewala. Most pneumatic or electric wrenches in stores and service centres are set to torque the lug nuts equally to predetermined values.

If a lug nut is too tight or jammed, as they may be after their exposure to dust, water, corrosion and the metal expansion/contraction cycles, just insert the spanner/wrench into the wheel and give it a few tight smacks with the sole of your shoe. That should loosen it.

A few tips from my side:

a) NEVER apply grease or any lube to the threads on the stud or the nut. Lug nuts are designed to be torqued and lock down tight when the wheel goes thru its heating-cooling cycles whilst in use.

b) Keep em clean and avoid dirt and rust on the threads

c) A regularly maintained car, say at the ASC, will have its wheels taken off for balancing, brake pad/shoe checks, brake bleeding and possibly to to repair punctured tyres. This prevents nuts the nuts from seizing.
So it is in your interest to make sure the wheels and tyres are regularly checked and maintained. I've noticed these nuts tend to be harder to take off when you drive through hub deep water frequently. That promotes rust. So try and avoid flooded roads for this (and other) reason.

d) Buy an aftermarket tyre wrench or a ratcheting spanner set. These are of better quality and are easier to use than the factory supplied tool.

e) Last but not the least, torque those nuts evenly. Most passenger cars wheels are torqued to about 73-80 lb/ft or 100-109 NM. SUVs and larger vehicles have higher torque values. Torque values are always mentioned in the owners manual. No TW? Get one (it has DIY uses galore) or learn to manually tighten the wheel nuts evenly and avoid over-tightening.

PS - A battery powered impact wrench is on my wish list but it would entail running into a domestic kerfuffle

Last edited by R2D2 : 19th September 2018 at 21:27.
R2D2 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 22:27   #1950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Get the generic stuff. I have been using one for 3-4 years without issues. The problem is that most people do not know how to use a particular piece of machinery and then come back and whine on the review boards.
Thanks, ordered a generic bottle jack for 5Ton suitable for XUV considering future upgrades and also ordered a Bergman tire inflator, this is mainly to fill up the bicycle rather than the car.

Most Viewed