Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2018, 22:37   #1951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

PS - A battery powered impact wrench is on my wish list but it would entail running into a domestic kerfuffle
See if someone can carry it for you from US/Canada as the prices are usually 1/3rd over there.. I already have the batteries and an impact driver/hammer drill combo from Dewalt. Will be ordering a bare tool impact wrench this year during sales and see if one of my friend's can carry it for me again. I tried the impact driver but it didn't have enough power and broke the socket adaptor.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 09:23   #1952
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
See if someone can carry it for you from US/Canada as the prices are usually 1/3rd over there.. I already have the batteries and an impact driver/hammer drill combo from Dewalt. Will be ordering a bare tool impact wrench this year during sales and see if one of my friend's can carry it for me again. I tried the impact driver but it didn't have enough power and broke the socket adaptor.
Which one are you planning to buy?

I thought of asking my cousin in the US to bring one for me in Dec when he visits during the vacation. Even if less expensive the Mrs isn't going to be pleased. She (like most ladies) question the need to spend so much extra money (Rs 10K+ at least) when a simple socket wrench will do. IMO the reason for her insouciance is because she's never had to take off a punctured car wheel. I'll have to plan this out carefully.
Old 20th September 2018, 09:44   #1953
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I thought of asking my cousin in the US to bring one for me in Dec when he visits during the vacation. Even if less expensive the Mrs isn't going to be pleased. She (like most ladies) question the need to spend so much extra money (Rs 10K+ at least) when a simple socket wrench will do. IMO the reason for her insouciance is because she's never had to take off a punctured car wheel. I'll have to plan this out carefully.
Get a breaker bar instead if your sole usage is to loosen lug nuts. The impact wrench has few usages in DIY and you may not be able to use it to the fullest potential. An Impact driver will turn into a decent impact wrench with the suitable impact adapter and sockets. And it does a great job of driving screws.

For comparison, a 12V impact driver has a max torque of around 100NM whereas a 12V Impact wrench has around 120NM of max torque which makes going for a dedicated impact wrench bit pointless. My 2 cents.
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 09:45   #1954
BHPian

Quote:
Dewalt has three products in their range based on the torque ratings. I am going to go for the middle one. Even the compact one would be just enough for a wheel lug nut, but it is always better to have some reserve power.
I have been able to justify my tool purchases due to ongoing construction at my house and farm where these tools are being used. I have already put in a few hundred 4-5 inch long anchor screws in concrete and the impact driver, although got the job done, but struggled a lot getting them in despite the holes being straight. That's why though of going for an impact wrench as that is the recommended tool to put them in.

Black friday/Christmas/Boxing Day sales are the best time to order these tools. I was able to snag my kit for just $250 instead of $400 which it usually sells for year around.
Old 20th September 2018, 09:52   #1955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
. An Impact driver will turn into a decent impact wrench with the suitable impact adapter and sockets.
For comparison, a 12V impact driver has a max torque of around 100NM whereas a 12V Impact wrench has around 120NM of max torque which makes going for a dedicated impact wrench bit pointless. My 2 cents.
Trust me. I've tried that and it doesn't work. And I tried with 18V tools and the most powerful impact driver from Dewalt's stable DCF 887. Used Impact rated adaptors and sockets and the adaptor broke trying to get the second lug nut out. Like I pointed out, even the smallest impact wrench has higher rates torque than the best impact driver. Also impact drivers are rated for impacts/min and torque ratings are secondary while it is opposite in case of impact wrench.
Old 20th September 2018, 10:36   #1956
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dewalt has three products in their range based on the torque ratings. I am going to go for the middle one. Even the compact one would be just enough for a wheel lug nut, but it is always better to have some reserve power.

Black friday/Christmas/Boxing Day sales are the best time to order these tools. I was able to snag my kit for just $250 instead of $400 which it usually sells for year around.
Thanks for the tips. I'll keep em in mind.

Quote:
Get a breaker bar instead if your sole usage is to loosen lug nuts. The impact wrench has few usages in DIY and you may not be able to use it to the fullest potential.
Yes, it will be primarily for wheel nuts and that is where my doubts about justifying the purchase arise. Hey, any idea where I could get a 1/2" or 3/8" socket breaker bar? The ones on Amazon are imported from the US hence preposterously priced. Aren't there Indian tool manufacturers for e.g. Taparia, Gedore etc making breaker bars? I'd be ok with Stanley too.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 11:22   #1957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I'll keep em in mind.

Yes, it will be primarily for wheel nuts and that is where my doubts about justifying the purchase arise. Hey, any idea where I could get a 1/2" or 3/8" socket breaker bar? The ones on Amazon are imported from the US hence preposterously priced. Aren't there Indian tool manufacturers for e.g. Taparia, Gedore etc making breaker bars? I'd be ok with Stanley too.
You can get Taparia T-Handle for 1/2 inch drive. It is 300mm long, so it will work perfectly with 1/2 " sockets for loosening wheel nuts.

http://www.tapariatools.com/sockets_accesories.html

What I do normally with the manufacturer supplied L wheel wrench, is to use my leg power to rotate the nut. If sheer weight does not work a light jump does the job every time.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 11:29   #1958
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Trust me. I've tried that and it doesn't work. And I tried with 18V tools and the most powerful impact driver from Dewalt's stable DCF 887. Used Impact rated adaptors and sockets and the adaptor broke trying to get the second lug nut out. Like I pointed out, even the smallest impact wrench has higher rates torque than the best impact driver. Also impact drivers are rated for impacts/min and torque ratings are secondary while it is opposite in case of impact wrench.
Oh ok. Good to know this information. I thought since the internal working mechanism of impact driver and wrench is the same an impact driver would work as an impact wrench as well.
Old 20th September 2018, 11:37   #1959
BHPian

Quote:
Oh ok. Good to know this information. I thought since the internal working mechanism of impact driver and wrench is the same an impact driver would work as an impact wrench as well.
Screwing in is not an issue. It's the break-off force that is lacking in the impact driver. People, especially those inclined towards automotive use, would like to use such powered wrenches to break-off stuck lugs alongwith normal usage. That's where break-off torque rating comes into play and where an impact wrench specifically excels over an impact driver.

Quote:
Hey, any idea where I could get a 1/2" or 3/8" socket breaker bar? The ones on Amazon are imported from the US hence preposterously priced. Aren't there Indian tool manufacturers for e.g. Taparia, Gedore etc making breaker bars? I'd be ok with Stanley too.
http://www.tapariatools.com/sockets_accesories.html

The Flexible Handle on this page is eerily similar to a breaker bar. But the size is not long enough to be of any use. I use Aroy's method myself of using a long L-handle and standing up on it, if needed. Off late, I have been hand tightening them myself, so no issue of overtightening arises. Sometimes people just have a long piece of pipe which they put on the L-handle and that helps too.

Last edited by rdst_1 : 20th September 2018 at 12:00.
Old 22nd September 2018, 11:52   #1960
BHPian

I am bit concerned about a Force 2462 1/4 Inch Socket Combination Set. Till now I found the force ratchet with a green and yellow handle only. But the one delivered from industrybuying yesterday has a black and red handle. Is it a genuine one? Please help.

Tools for a DIYer-ratchet.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-img_20180921_184021.jpg

Last edited by sujithsidhardha : 22nd September 2018 at 12:05.
Old 22nd September 2018, 12:31   #1961
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujithsidhardha View Post
I am bit concerned about a Force 2462 1/4 Inch Socket Combination Set. Till now I found the force ratchet with a green and yellow handle only. But the one delivered from industrybuying yesterday has a black and red handle. Is it a genuine one? Please help.
It looks genuine to me. Just because they have changed colour on the handle grip doesn't mean it is not genuine. May be it is a company decision to go with new colour combinations. If you have doubts return it to the seller and ask for a green/yellow handle grip.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 11:56   #1962
BHPian

Quote:

d) Buy an aftermarket tyre wrench or a ratcheting spanner set. These are of better quality and are easier to use than the factory supplied tool.

e) Last but not the least, torque those nuts evenly. Most passenger cars wheels are torqued to about 73-80 lb/ft or 100-109 NM. SUVs and larger vehicles have higher torque values. Torque values are always mentioned in the owners manual. No TW? Get one (it has DIY uses galore) or learn to manually tighten the wheel nuts evenly and avoid over-tightening.
I would like to buy a Torque Wrench for loosening the wheel lug nuts on my hatchback. Can you please suggest a good TW to be kept in the boot?
Thanks R2D2
Old 23rd September 2018, 12:40   #1963
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
I would like to buy a Torque Wrench for loosening the wheel lug nuts on my hatchback. Can you please suggest a good TW to be kept in the boot? Thanks R2D2
@Virgopal - Few things you need to know about TWs:

a) Firstly and most importantly they are meant for tightening fasteners not loosening them. NEVER use a TW to loosen a fastener. They are NOT breaker bars.

b) They are pretty expensive starting at about Rs 5-6K and upwards depending on the make, model and torque range. Go in for a Stanley, Britool, Draper, Tekton, Chicago Pneumatic as per your budget.

c) Contrary to the similarity in looks with normal breaker bars and other wrenches TW are delicate instruments. Do NOT drop them or subject them to shock. The instrument loses its calibration accuracy.

d) Never go past the max or min torque markings on the dial

e) Store the TW with the torque set at minimum and in its protective case

f) It may require calibration every few years depending on nature and frequency of use

Get a 1/2" (approx. 12 mm) drive for lug/wheel nuts.

I do not have experience with Indian manufactured TWs which will be cheaper. Maybe a BHPian can chip in here with suggested brands and models. I would reckon Taparia as one of the best you can buy.

Last edited by R2D2 : 23rd September 2018 at 12:41.
R2D2 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 13:42   #1964
BHPian

Thanks R2D2 for an excellent explanation reg: the salient points about usage, storage and maintenance of Torque Wrench, especially that it should only be used for tightening and not loosening nuts. For loosening, the supplied tools will be used.
1/2" (~ 12mm) or any other size, has some values in NM marked on TW body, I believe. Is that a standard value? Also, the vehicle manual may include the torque values for tightening operations.
I will enquire with Taparia for its branded TW.
Thanks again.

Last edited by virgopal : 23rd September 2018 at 13:46. Reason: added text for clarity
virgopal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 13:49   #1965
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
For loosening, the supplied tools will be used.
Buy a good quality spanner set Stanley 1/2" box spanner set

The box spanner socket can also be fitted to a 1/2" TW. Check the owners manual for the wheel nut size. It varies from car to car.

Quote:
1/2" (~ 12mm) has some values in NM marked on TW, I believe. Is that a standard value? Also, the vehicle manual may include the torque values for tightening operations. I will enquire with Taparia for its branded TW.
Torque is specified either in lb/ft (pound/foot) in imperial units or NM (Newton Meters) in metric units. You can use either as specified in your car manual.

But what is important is you buy a TW with the correct range for the job. For e.g. a TW for tightening spark plugs is physically smaller and has settings starting from say 10 lb/foot and upwards while one for wheel nuts may be 25 lb/foot and upwards. So choose carefully.

Last edited by R2D2 : 23rd September 2018 at 13:57. Reason: typos
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks