Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2019, 20:15   #2071
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA18 View Post
This looks like an used piece. Better ask for a replacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
It is not a used piece. In the second pic, the dab of silver paint is there on my Dremel too. It's a QA mark. Don't worry. About the first pic, I am not sure. Get it replaced if it makes you unhappy but it's only a cosmetic issue.
I didn't look used but the unsightly gash was bothering me, so I decided to get it changed. The replacement piece looks in much better nick and like R2D2 mentioned, has the QA mark. Now I need to find projects to put the dermel to use.
Old 15th October 2019, 18:51   #2072
Distinguished - BHPian

So, like every DIYer who finds it difficult to resist tools and instruments, I accumulated a few DMMs and 2 CMs over the years.

Generally once every 12-18 months I take my multimeters and clamp meters out of their cases and inspect them. As we all know some alkaline batteries (I am looking at your Duracell!) are prone to leakage that result in damage or corrosion to the innards of my precious meters.

Most of the meters take 9V batteries while one, the Fluke 374 CM uses AAs. It's a cheap method of keeping my rather expensive meters healthy. My preferred brand for alkalines is Energizer or Sony. Experience tells me they are less leak prone than Duracell. I have also had good experience with GP, a Chinese brand marketed by Godrej in India.

I also check the meter leads for any tip corrosion or any damage along the insulation. Can't be too careful when I regularly check mains voltage .

The Flukes are calibrated using test calibrators conforming to NIST US standards. All come with a certificate of calibration from the factory and/or Fluke India. Yeah so these things are accurate. Fluke recommends calibration every 12-24 months. When I last checked calibration and general service cost about Rs 2-4K (depending on the model) for my DMMs. A local service agent charges about Rs 1500 for a home visit. But my meters are accurate as they were when the left the factory, I don't have a calibration device but I generally cross check readings with all meters against the the 87 V which is the most accurate meter in my set.

Last but not the least, the APPA, a Taiwanese make, is one heck of value for money for a 600A AC/DC instrument but it is not a True RMS meter. This was the first one I purchased back in 2007-08 when on a limited budget. It is well made and has worked flawlessly all these years.

Fluke accessories are overpriced but the quality is top notch like their instruments.

One can consider products from Metravi, Mastech, Meco, Extech among others depending on budget.

Also seen is my Victorinox Cybertool knife. I love 'em so collected a few models over the decades including the Swiss Champ and SwissTool. This is one tool I can't do without and always carry one with me when I am driving long distances.

PS - My very first multimeter was a gift from my maternal grandfather back in 1985 whilst in college. It was an analog Sanwa. Folks from that era may remember this brand. It is still available IIRC
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-meter-mnt.jpeg  

Last edited by R2D2 : 15th October 2019 at 19:21. Reason: typos and PS :)
R2D2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 13:19   #2073
BHPian

I grew up seeing all the DIYs my father used to do to create, renovate and fix things in and around our house and the vast collection of tools he had accumulated over 40 years. He was more of a manual tools guy with just 3 electric tools, a drill, angle grinder and a welding machine (why would one need a welding machine at home). He has a storage room filled with all the tools and scrap materials dumped into a 10x8Ft cabinet that are 4ft deep. You cant reach your hand deep inside how much ever you try to stretch and if you have to get something from the rear, you have to crawl your head inside and reach for it. A lot of tools are so deep inside those shelves that I am sure many of them wouldn't have seen the daylight since 1978 which is when he built the house.

So when the tool bug hit me, I always wanted to buy things which he never had and the obvious choice was electric. I started with a Dremel, then a circular saw, a blower, polisher. My first cordless tool was a Cordless Vacuum (Dirt Devil). It was a 15v NiCd and hardly lasted 15 mins per charge. In a year the battery died.
Then in 2012, my friend gifted me a Milwaukee M12 Cordless kit with drill and an impact driver. I had seen this tools in US, but thought of it as some Chinese brand. Only after getting the tool, I came to know about the brand and how highly regarded it is in US.

The drill is so compact, light weight and powerful enough that this is still my go to tool for any screw driving or drilling that do not involve concrete. It can easily drill through cement/brick walls, tiles, steel and wood. Out of my entire tools, this is the most used/abused and still works fine even after 7 years.
Tools for a DIYer-1.jpg

It has a 10mm metal chuck, 2 speed gear, variable speed trigger and a led light. It has a brushed motor, rated torque of 30Nm with adjustable clutch, 400rpm in gear1 and 1500rpm in gear2. It can easily drive a screw into plywoods and soft woods without drilling.
Tools for a DIYer-1drill-specs.jpg

The next one was the Milwaukee M12 impact driver. This is rated for 96Nm of torque. It can drive screws directly into hard wood and can remove rusted/stuck screws, nuts and bolts. I even tried removing the lug nuts of my alloy wheels and it did remove the lug nuts. But it took almost like a minute for each nut. Smaller nuts are a piece of cake and considering the compact and light weight, this is another frequently used tool for DIYs. This is also very useful for safely screwing/unscrewing Philips type screws since this will not slip and damage the screw head. Chances of a slip is very high when you use a drill or a manual screw driver for very tight screws.
Tools for a DIYer-1impact.jpg

This uses a 1/4Inch Hex driver which fits the common hex driver bits available. I also have a adapter to convert the 1/4 hex to 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2in Square drive to fit the sockets for nuts and bolts. Rated for 96Nm torque, it has a max speed of 2500rpm and 3300Impacts per minute. Also includes Led light and Variable speed trigger.
Tools for a DIYer-1impactspecs.jpg

I was impressed by the m12 series and bought the next tool, The reciprocating saw. You can use it to cut wood or metal and has different type of blades with different lengths suiting each application.
Tools for a DIYer-img_20191113_131410-2.jpg

The blades are universal type and provides easy removal/insertion with just a twist of the black knob. Compatible blades are available here in Bangalore from Bosch, Dewalt etc.
Tools for a DIYer-img_20191113_132156.jpg
Tools for a DIYer-img_20191113_132129-2.jpg

After using the 12v tools for a couple of years, I wanted an impact wrench powerful enough to remove lug nuts. In 2014, Milwaukee launched its 18V high torque impact wrenches capable of 1000Nm+ torque. The price was too high ($600+). There was no competition for Milwaukee and youtube were filled with videos of people removing rusted axle bolts, and beating pneumatic wrenches. I somehow resisted the purchase and in an year, DeWalt launched the DCF899 with 1500Nm of breakaway torque. I could no longer resist and I bought it through a friend who carried it to India. This is the most powerful and most expensive tool I have bought so far, unfortunately it is also the least used tool in my inventory. How many times would you need a 1000Nm+ torque for a DIY? However the only consolation is the fact that the tool is so powerful that even after 5 years of launch, DeWalt haven't updated/upgraded the tool and the competition is still catching up. This tool has become a legend and is still rated the best cordless impact wrench.
A size comparison with Milwauke.
Tools for a DIYer-899.jpg

It is a heavy tool at 3.5Kg with battery and is built to withstand falls from 6ft height. It has a 3 speed switch and also has a variable speed trigger. The 3 speed switch is good for controlling the torque. At speed 1, the max torque is ~250Nm, 2 at 500Nm and 3 at 1000Nm. This tool can destroy smaller nuts/bolts if you are not careful.
Tools for a DIYer-img_20191113_125700.jpg

The following year, I was installing a wall mounted Inverter and required drilling through RCC which required a corded hammer drill. I wanted a cordless version and started searching for my next Dewalt drill since I already had the 18v battery and Charger. It was the time DeWalt had launched the 60v(54v) Flexvolt batteries and were giving free 60V batteries with most of their tools. I picked up their Hammer drill and got a 60v(54v) Flexvolt battery and charger.
Tools for a DIYer-1dewaltdrill.jpg

The 60v(54v) battery along with the 20v(18v) cousin. The 60v battery is backward compatible and can be used in all Dewalt 18v/20v XR tools
Tools for a DIYer-img_20191113_125252.jpg
Tools for a DIYer-img_20191113_125448-2.jpg

This has a 2 speed gear, Brushless Motor with 70Nm Torque, adjustable clutch and Variable speed trigger. The slide switch above the battery is for adjusting the LED light brightness. The 3rd position is torch mode and the led stays on until you switch it off.
Tools for a DIYer-img_20191113_125743-2.jpg

In 5 years, I had purchased atleast one cordless tool each year and I thought that to be a good strategy to build up my arsenal.
Next year, I bought 2 Milwaukee M12s. A rotary tool (Dremel) and a MultiTool. I already had a Dremel 3000, but couldn't resist the cordless craze. The rotary tool is a just a clone of Dremel and all dremel accessories fits on this tool.
Tools for a DIYer-1rotary.jpg
Speed is rated at 5000-37000rpm. Unlike other Milwaukees, this one do not have an led light.
Tools for a DIYer-1rotaryspecs.jpg

The MultiTool, for those who are not aware of it, is a multipurpose oscillating tool. With different accessories, it can be used as a scraper, grinder, cutter, sander, saw. Also there are somethings that only a multitool can do, like cutting perfect square holes or cutting off nails in between joints.
Tools for a DIYer-1multitool.jpg

This one has a speed dial marked from 2 - 12 (Cant understand why they couldn't make it 1-10 or 1-12) and is rated for 5000-20000 oscillation per minute. This too do not have an led light.
Tools for a DIYer-1multispecs.jpg

Last year I ordered a Dewalt 20v compact blower. Unfortunately, none of my friends could carry it to India and the item is lying in California. I am hoping someone would bring it during Christmas this year. This one can blow 100CFM of air at 200kmph. This is the smallest blower from DeWalt and have models rated for 450CFM at 280kmph.
Tools for a DIYer-dewaltblower.jpg
Pic copied from Amazon.

Another Dewalt I ordered early this year is the 20v Angle grinder. This one is rated for 850W and 9000rpm no load speed. This was ordered from Sydney (https://sydneytools.com.au/) and again is yet to reach me.
Tools for a DIYer-dewaltanglegrinder.jpg
Pic copied from Amazon

Thanksgiving is the best time to order tools from US and this week I have my eyes set on a Dewalt 20V JigSaw.

Next: The batteries and chargers.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd November 2019 at 22:15. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Holyghost is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 10:14   #2074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post

So when the tool bug hit me, I always wanted to buy things which he never had and the obvious choice was electric. I started with a Dremel, then a circular saw, a blower, polisher.....
Holy Ghost! That is some awesome collection of power tools. As for me I have picked up a couple of Bosh/Makita power drills, Circular Saw, Angle Grinder and a Powered grinder wheel in all these years. All of them work off the mains. Every time I had to step out to attend to the occasional odd job of cutting branches off a tree, I wish for a battery operated device. Hmmmm
Prowler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 12:21   #2075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
After using the 12v tools for a couple of years, I wanted an impact wrench powerful enough to remove lug nuts. In 2014, Milwaukee launched its 18V high torque impact wrenches capable of 1000Nm+ torque. The price was too high ($600+). There was no competition for Milwaukee and Youtube were filled with videos of people removing rusted axle bolts, and beating pneumatic wrenches. I somehow resisted the purchase and in an year, DeWalt launched the DCF899 with 1500Nm of breakaway torque. I could no longer resist and I bought it through a friend who carried it to India. This is the most powerful and most expensive tool I have bought so far, unfortunately it is also the least used tool in my inventory. How many times would you need a 1000Nm+ torque for a DIY? However the only consolation is the fact that the tool is so powerful that even after 5 years of launch, DeWalt haven't updated/upgraded the tool and the competition is still catching up. This tool has become a legend and is still rated the best cordless impact wrench.
A size comparison with Milwauke.
Attachment 1938220
Cordless torque kings

Ingersollrand W7150 Brushed
Fastening torque - 1057NM
Breakaway torque - 1491NM

Dewalt DCF889 Brushed
Fastening torque - 540NM

Bosch GDS 18VHT
Fastening torque - 650NM

Ingersollrand W7172 Brushless
Fastening torque - 1355NM
Breakway torque - 2033NM

Dewalt DCF899 Brushless
Fastening torque - 950NM
Breakway torque - 1626NM

Makita DTW1002 Brushless
Fastening torque - 1000NM
Breakway torque - 1600NM

It was Ingersollrand which came out with the first hightorque cordless impact wrench 6 to 7 years ago with their brushed W7150. Brushed models of their competitors at that time were severely lacking. Now they are second after Milwaukee M18 Fuel range.

OT: Did you buy the Dewalt DCF889 from India? Northamerican models have the 20vmax moniker on Dewalt tools however the tool and the battery are the same as 18V models.

--
Notes:
When buying a impact wrench always look at max fastening torque, never at nutbusting torque. Higher fastening torque always gives higher breakaway (nutbusting) torque numbers. Breakway torque numbers can be manipulated for marketing fastening torque not so much.

The size of the anvil also changes the torque rating of the impact wrench. Larger anvil yields more torque. For eg: Makita's DTW1001 with a 3/4"anvil provides 50NM more torque than the DTW1002 with 1/2"anvil, motor remains the same.

Like auto mergers tool companies have also merged and taken over in the due course of time. Only a few remain independents and one of them is Bosch and another is Makita.

Hongkong TTI group owns AEG, Ridgid, Milwaukee and Ryobi power tool brands.

Now Hitachi power tools has nothing to do with Hitachi Japan. They are Hitachi-Koki and have recently separated from Hitachi completely and took over German Metabo. They sell as Hitachi and Metabo depending on market. Their new range of tools are interesting with compact 36V battery pack the size of 18V conventional range.

Stanley B&D owns Black&Decker, Dewalt, Porter Cable and Craftsman power tools.

Likewise a lot of handtools which were once legendary american brands are having the same fate. Most of the tools are made in Taiwan or PRC; few are still made in USA.

The game will move on to a higher voltage system if we are to look at Hitachi's 36volt battery pack, the size of 18v battery pack, as a sign of things to come. Industry moved on from 12v to 18v (20vmax) in the past and it will move on again.
Sankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 13:56   #2076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
OT: Did you buy the Dewalt DCF889 from India? Northamerican models have the 20vmax moniker on Dewalt tools however the tool and the battery are the same as 18V models.
It is DCF899 bought from UK in 2015. Dewalt markets the tools as 20V and 60V in US while the same tools/batteries are sold as 18V and 54V (which are the Nominal Voltage of battery) for Europe and ASPAC. What I understand is that, DeWalt wanted to differentiate the Li-ion systems from the 18V NiCd systems which were already popular in US. So all Li-ion tools were labelled 20V to avoid any confusion. But the EU had some regulations and they had to market the same tools with its nominal voltage which was 18V.
The Milwaukees, DeWalt blower and Circular Saw are from US. Dewalt Hammer Drill and Angle Grinder from Aus.
I also bought another set of Milwaukee m12 Drill/Impact Driver kit from Aus to gift my Dad. I was planning to give away my m12 to Dad, But since I really love the m12s, I couldn't let it go and ended up buying the same set again.

Ingersollrand with 2000Nm is . So we can expect the next model probably in 60v series from DeWalt soon. This was their only model that remained unchanged since 2014.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
The game will move on to a higher voltage system if we are to look at Hitachi's 36volt battery pack, the size of 18v battery pack, as a sign of things to come. Industry moved on from 12v to 18v (20vmax) in the past and it will move on again.
Very true. I am glad the DeWalt made their 60V batteries to be backward compatible with 20V tools. And their 120V tools will be using 2x 60V batteries. Since I already have their 60V batteries, I hope my tools wont go extinct very soon, Atleast until they go for even higher voltage or with completely new battery technology. DeWalt also has 40V range with big batteries (2x to 3x in size compared to 20V). Not sure about its future though.
Also the Industry has not moved on from 12V tools yet. The compact tools category is still ruled by 12V series and newer 12v tools are being introduced. Milwaukee 12v range has crossed 100+ tools and released 6 new 12v tools in 2019. But I do agree that it will eventually move on with newer technologies.

Last edited by Holyghost : 25th November 2019 at 14:09.
Holyghost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 09:45   #2077
BHPian

Are expanding pliers available in India? What are they called in the local jargon? Any local brands? Did not find them on Amazon.in - TIA.
Old 28th November 2019, 10:05   #2078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Are expanding pliers available in India? What are they called in the local jargon? Any local brands? Did not find them on Amazon.in - TIA.
do you mean these
https://www.amazon.in/Taparia-1225-W...61415648&psc=1

or these
https://www.amazon.in/Taparia-1641N-...=office&sr=8-2

I have both, though they are over 50 years old
Old 28th November 2019, 13:05   #2079
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't know what an expanding plier is, please illustrate!

You could try searching for adjustable spanner or wrench. I don't know if that's what you mean? Same name as elsewhere.

But there is no end to types of pliers. We can discover new one every day!
Old 28th November 2019, 13:56   #2080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
do you mean these
I have both, though they are over 50 years old
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't know what an expanding plier is, please illustrate!...

Thanks Aroy, Thad, for trying to answer! Guess they're not available if you guys haven't seen them!

They are like circlip pliers expanding outwards. I need this to extract a broken faucet aerator. (No thanks to the plumber who fitted them with his pipe wrench). Guess I will have to use circlip pliers plus jugaad.
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-screenshot_20191128134630.jpg  

mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 14:11   #2081
BHPian

Quote:
They are like circlip pliers expanding outwards. I need this to extract a broken faucet aerator. (No thanks to the plumber who fitted them with his pipe wrench). Guess I will have to use circlip pliers plus jugaad.

Will this work:

https://www.amazon.in/Pasco-4531-2-I.../dp/B000VYNTF8

https://www.familyhandyman.com/plumb...l-pipe-wrench/
roamer012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 14:35   #2082
BHPian

Quote:
This is what he is referring to

Name:  MG_3643Main_1024x1024.gif
Views: 841
Size:  45.8 KB

https://www.expandingpliers.com/#:~:...%20of%20things.

Last edited by adrian : 28th November 2019 at 14:41.
adrian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 15:55   #2083
BHPian

Thanks roamer. Yes, would like one of those too, but it's too expensive for my purpose.
Old 28th November 2019, 17:00   #2084
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd expect to be able to buy circlip pliers here. There must be plenty of circlips! I bet car mechanics, pump mechanics, etc, have them
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 18:08   #2085
Senior - BHPian

There are circlip pliers available. I have two which are for external circlips, you have ones for internal circlips also
Tools for a DIYer-hsc_5884.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-hsc_5885.jpg
Aroy is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks