Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2020, 22:34   #2206
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro3110 View Post
This is the final product:
And very nice it is! Well done. I enjoyed your video too, and thought you did an excellent job of conveying the process in just a couple of minutes, where others might have made a one-hour film out of it

Did you sketch out the tool layout before putting the board on the wall? It all fits together so well.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 03:15   #2207
BHPian

I'm going to let the picture speak its thousand words, I'm sure there's more than a thousand pieces of equipment here (including the bits ofcourse, and I haven't managed to capture every tool I own) -

Tools for a DIYer-tools.jpg

This is just something I wanted to take a shot of, as i normally store all my tools in the loft and don't really have a garage to display them like I would really love to.

But these help with all my DIY projects which are mostly into making furniture, with the car, my gaming zone and other things around the house.

Cheers,
Aayush

Last edited by aayushnair : 10th July 2020 at 03:17. Reason: correction
aayushnair is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 18:43   #2208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Did you sketch out the tool layout before putting the board on the wall? It all fits together so well.
Thank you very much. Actually somewhat yes. I just had some basic blocks in mind like my power tools goes left, then hammers in center, spanners down left etc. Then during installation, I just placed the tools and marked the point to drill and install the nails which would support the tool. Note here, I tried to bend some longer nails to mimic a hook to support the some power tools but they failed to stay in place.

Pegboards make life easy as you can keep moving them around as you need but with nails it just stays! I do have a wish list active on Wall Control . After the Covid situation gets better and finances look up a bit might go for the upgrade. Working on a worktable make things a breeze, don't have to hunt for tools here and there and also not crouch or sit on the floor to access a workable place.
Old 10th July 2020, 18:58   #2209
Distinguished - BHPian

A place for every tool, and every tool in its place.

I'm afraid that it is the second bit that I tend to fail on... putting stuff back in the right place after use <BLUSH>
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 21:06   #2210
BHPian

Lockdown diaries, Chapter 1.

Today I opened the front bumper of my car and detached the grille out of it. I noticed the pop screws as attached in the photo below (first from left), were used to to screw the bumper with the grille. Those screws are pretty bad in shape and I intend to replace them all.

1. Can I replace them with anything solid?
2. What size do I tell the spares shop in case I have to buy them?

The photo for reference -
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-40pcscarfontbplasticbfontfontbrivetbfontbumperfenderretainerfastener.jpg  

Old 12th July 2020, 22:53   #2211
Senior - BHPian

Got myself a small inverter welding machine, and have started to learn stick welding by myself.

Welding machine

Tools for a DIYer-img20200620wa0013.jpg

Auto darkening goggles

Tools for a DIYer-img20200620wa0015.jpg

first weld !

Tools for a DIYer-img20200620wa0009.jpg
blackasta is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 02:49   #2212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Got myself a small inverter welding machine, and have started to learn stick welding by myself.
Brilliant! But this is one craft that I would not attempt without qualified instruction.
Quote:
Auto darkening goggles
I wouldn't do it without full face cover. Never seen anyone outside of India do so.
Quote:
first weld !
Proud moment.

But really, check out the safety stuff. Find some videos aimed at trade education and safety procedures in UK or USA (just 'cos... English language) and follow all that stuff!

I only tried it once. I just couldn't get the stick not stuck. And the whole class had to have a turn, so I didn't have long enough to try more. I was 15
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 03:30   #2213

Quote:

Welding machine
Congratulations on your new toy! Have always wanted one myself.
Old 13th July 2020, 10:31   #2214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Lockdown diaries, Chapter 1.

Today I opened the front bumper of my car and detached the grille out of it. I noticed the pop screws as attached in the photo below (first from left), were used to to screw the bumper with the grille. Those screws are pretty bad in shape and I intend to replace them all.

1. Can I replace them with anything solid?
2. What size do I tell the spares shop in case I have to buy them?

The photo for reference -
Hi Swapnil.
Better to go with plastic fasteners as provided by the car manufacturer. They provide little cushioning for minor impacts and small magnitude stresses. Also they don't rust.
Usually the fasteners measure 6mm in dia. If you think the bolt head would be visible from outside, you may ask for M6 Stainless steel allan bolts and nuts. Use plain washers in both sides and do not over tightening them. With regular GI bolts there are good chances of rusting and may give you a tough time while you want to remove the grille again.
-Ilango
Old 13th July 2020, 11:27   #2215
Distinguished - BHPian

Not necessarily tools for a DITer, but most likely tools that DIYers would drool over:

Last Sunday we were visited by friends of our eldest son Luc. It is Coen and his wife Marion, they brought their two lovely kids. Luc and Coen met when they were eight. They are both 35 now, but still very good friends. So we have known Coen for all these years, see him grow up, just like Luc. Luc’s partner Maloeke is also Marion younger sister.

At least once a year Coen and Marion come and visit us to catch up. Which we always enjoy. Coen has recently started working for Hilti. (https://www.hilti.com). So know he drives a red Hilti branded Skoda. More importantly, the boot is filled with Hilti stuff. So Coen gave us a little demo.

Bear in mind, Hilti caters primarily for the professional builder, so this is some serious kit!

Coen started off with this fascinating fastening tool on cartridges! I had never ever heard of such a thing:

Tools for a DIYer-img2948.jpg

Initially you needed a gun permit for this thing! So they changed some of the safety features and now anybody can buy it! Cartridges come in different sizes, to deliver different “punch” depending on the material you are shooting into

Tools for a DIYer-img2950.jpg

These are the fasteners going with this gun. This is to fasten isolation materials, the tip has a steel nail build into it. The gun will “shoot” it into brick, concrete, but just as easily steel as well!

Tools for a DIYer-img2951.jpg

My daughter doing her Tool Raider impression

Tools for a DIYer-img2957.jpg

Coen also had an electric version, same principle, but delivers a lot less punch!

Tools for a DIYer-img2971.jpg

Some other electrical power kit

Tools for a DIYer-img2958.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-img2963.jpg

Coen had a couple of these cases, showing different fasteners and how they work. I was amazed on the size of some of these and how easily, apparently, it is to drill them into a wall of concrete, or even steel.

Tools for a DIYer-img2962.jpg

This was an interesting bit of kit, a very special drill bit

Tools for a DIYer-img2973.jpg

The front has some holes in it, and you attach a vacuum cleaner to the end of the bit. So it actually hoovers out all the dust and bits as you are drilling.

Tools for a DIYer-img2974.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-img2975.jpg

Apparently, very important to clean out the drill holes properly, before inserting some of these fasteners.

Of course, as a travelling sales man, Coen had some give away goodies for me, thank you Coen!

Tools for a DIYer-img2960.jpg

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 12:14   #2216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Brilliant! But this is one craft that I would not attempt without qualified instruction.

I wouldn't do it without full face cover. Never seen anyone outside of India do so.
Proud moment.

But really, check out the safety stuff. Find some videos aimed at trade education and safety procedures in UK or USA (just 'cos... English language) and follow all that stuff!

I only tried it once. I just couldn't get the stick not stuck. And the whole class had to have a turn, so I didn't have long enough to try more. I was 15
Thanks - I am taking lessons from youtube (If that can be considered as such, but I picked up almost all of my woodworking knowledge from youtube as well).

I wanted to get a full face auto darkening helmet, but there are none available online that I could buy and get shipped to my address. Shall get one as soon as a good quality one is available. The auto darkening goggles was the next best option. I did not want to wear a manually operated full face helmet, because I figured it would be dangerous and cumbersome to work with one hand, and I cannot get protection during the first flash.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 14:25   #2217
Distinguished - BHPian

I have no expertise in this at all, although, like you, I'm interested. What I've picked up along the way though (mostly same source as you) is... the UV is injurious to the skin as well as the eyes, which, along with the danger of splatter, which no-one wants in their flesh, is why full face. I've also picked up that good auto shields are expensive, but that's all part of hobbies. With a non-auto mask, it's just amazing how they strike the arc without being able to see! This is what baffled me: I was touching (and stuck) before I knew where I was.

Also picked up... proper shop safety glasses are UV resistant: it's just another safety level. And... never wear synthetic fabrics, always cotton/leather/etc.

I've mentioned often that I used to dabble in jewellery, and was fine with a brazing (propane) torch and red-hot metal. I think a propane flame gets to about 1,000C; welding arc is more like 10,000. Scary!

I've several times nearly bought a brazing torch again, and always stopped at what would I do with it now? Welding is going to open up a world of projects for you. Looking forward to them!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 14:50   #2218
BHPian

Quote:
Got myself a small inverter welding machine, and have started to learn stick welding by myself
Do you use this at home?, i mean with domestic 230V AC or in your workshop with commercial meter?.
Old 13th July 2020, 14:56   #2219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Auto darkening goggles
Great to see you enjoying this.

As mentioned by Thad already, a word of caution. Be careful when wearing only the goggles. It will leave a lot of skin exposed to UV radiation from the welding spark.

I always wear full coveralls and a turtle neck underneath. Only 10-15 minutes of welding will show up a as nice red V on your chest if you have an opened up shirt!

And use good gloves!

Tools for a DIYer-img_4796.jpg

The auto darkening is the best thing since sliced bread! But then again, people managed, literally, for decades without it. But certainly for the not so proficient it is just one less thing to worry about. Makes starting a lot less cumbersome.

Jeroen

Last edited by moralfibre : 13th July 2020 at 16:34. Reason: Reuploading attachment to resize view.
Jeroen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 14:57   #2220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Do you use this at home?, i mean with domestic 230V AC or in your workshop with commercial meter?.
Yes, at home with 230V domestic AC line.
I had a qualified electrician draw a fresh separate connection in my terrace. He drew it using a 4 sq mm 3 core cable from the MCB box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Great to see you enjoying this.

As mentioned by Thad already, a word of caution. Be careful when wearing only the goggles. It will leave a lot of skin exposed to UV radiation from the welding spark.

I always wear full coveralls and a turtle neck underneath. Only 10-15 minutes of welding will show up a as nice red V on your chest if you have an opened up shirt!

And use good gloves!

The auto darkening is the best thing since sliced bread! But then again, people managed, literally, for decades without it. But certainly for the not so proficient it is just one less thing to worry about. Makes starting a lot less cumbersome.

Jeroen
Thanks - yes I got long leather gloves too (https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I have kept a spare full sleeved shirt and a pair of not so nice jeans to be used while metal working.

Indeed, the auto darkening goggles makes things much easier for noobs like me.

The initial reflex for me at the first time was to let go of the rod when the spark was stroked and that welding noise started. Had to go against reflexes for the first few times. More practice should help the muscle memory.

Last edited by blackasta : 13th July 2020 at 15:04.

Most Viewed