Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2021, 01:23   #2446
BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

I have a Bosch Freedom Pro power drill which I bought on a sale and have barely used it.

I’m really afraid of drilling anywhere in my wall because I don’t know what lies beneath it. How do you all overcome that? I see there are advanced tools which scans underneath masonry and tiles but they are really expensive.

Also if I manage to drill a hole, the drill bit, wall plugs and screw size matching is something which I find hard to identify and match correctly. There are lot of online content, YouTube videos etc. which talks about color coded plugs etc. but they don’t seem to apply universally? Is there a drill bit-wall plug-screw size chart which works for plugs sold in India and I can keep handy and refer?

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 27th April 2021 at 01:25.
Old 27th April 2021, 01:47   #2447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
I have a Bosch Freedom Pro power drill which I bought on a sale and have barely used it.

I’m really afraid of drilling anywhere in my wall because I don’t know what lies beneath it. How do you all overcome that? I see there are advanced tools which scans underneath masonry and tiles but they are really expensive.
I assume you are afraid of electric cables. Typically I would not drill anything orthogonally in the line of any switch box/electric fitting/junction box. You can remove the cover plate on the switch box, or light fixture and peep into the cavity to see where/how the pipe that holds the electric cable is routed. As they use T , or L elbows, it would not be routed anywhere and everywhere. It would be routed in straight lines with orthogonal turns. Before you drill, turn off the electric mains, and inspect the hole you drill with a flashlight, make sure the hole is clean, and then insert a wooden dowel. If you are unable to find a safe spot to drill, and if you feel you are drilling too close to electric cable/line of junction boxes, turn on the electric switch, and stick a tester into the hole. I was hanging picture frames for my parents, and my mom wanted it at a height where I suspected electric cables. The junction boxes are certainly a tell all sign, and I was easily able to avoid them.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 27th April 2021 at 01:54.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 10:37   #2448
BHPian

Quote:
I’m really afraid of drilling anywhere in my wall because I don’t know what lies beneath it. How do you all overcome that?
Look for electric conduit buried under the cement like so:
1. As GutsyGibbon says, follow the straight path between the wall sockets and the junction box usually sited at strategic locations near the ceiling. This is the area you should yield way (sorry about the pun). For safety give a gap of at least 5 inches.
2. I have used an old trader's secret : Wind about 50 turns on a pencil (thin enameled copper wire) and connect this to the microphone socket of a small portable cassette recorder. This would pick up the 50 Hz hum from the buried cable. Move around the pencil like a magic wand and you will find the location of the cable plus or minus 0.5 inch. This little implement saved us countless hours in commercial establishments.

Use heavy gloves when you use power tools. These days such items are available from Amazon. Wear industrial goggles as well. These safety items are like seat belts in your car.
Prowler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 11:44   #2449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also if I manage to drill a hole, the drill bit, wall plugs and screw size matching is something which I find hard to identify and match correctly. There are lot of online content, YouTube videos etc. which talks about color coded plugs etc. but they don’t seem to apply universally? Is there a drill bit-wall plug-screw size chart which works for plugs sold in India and I can keep handy and refer?
I use these sizes mostly
1. 6mm for light load (< 5kg)
2. 8mm for higher load ( < 20kg)
3. 10-12mm for high load > 25kg

Now the first two use masonry drill bit of that size with plastic plugs and matching wood screws. Just check the plug/screw combination at the shop - the screw should screw in tightly all the way into the plug and should not be so long as to hang out.

For high load the plugs come as a matching set of metallic plug and bolt. These are easily available at hardware stores as they are used for attaching AC stand, Geysers, TV and other heavy equipment. The drill bit should match the plug.
Old 2nd May 2021, 23:43   #2450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
You will need different types of drill bits
1. Masonry drills for drilling in brick and plaster walls.
https://www.amazon.in/Makita-D-41791...=1&ext_vrnc=hi

2. Wood working drills for wood
https://www.amazon.in/Bosch-5pcs-Woo.../dp/B0012UQKD8

3. HSS bits for steel
https://www.amazon.in/Bosch-Metal-Dr.../dp/B07HJHW8G9
This may sound dumb but what the hell. The three types of drill bits you have suggested are of different shades, Silver, Black & Silver, and just Black. Is it safe to assume the intended use by looking at this color difference?
Old 2nd May 2021, 23:52   #2451
BHPian

Quote:

Dont. You seem very insecure about drilling those holes. You just bought the drill and dont know how to use it.
The consequences are just too big if you damage something. You might be looking at big bills.
I would get a professional to do that for you.
Old 3rd May 2021, 00:58   #2452
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
This may sound dumb but what the hell. The three types of drill bits you have suggested are of different shades, Silver, Black & Silver, and just Black. Is it safe to assume the intended use by looking at this color difference?
I've always used the same as the metal-type drills for wood. Works fine. Oh, wait, I also use spade drills for wood.

No, you can't tell by the colour. Different drills from different manufacturers will have different grades/finishes/etc. You'll notice that the wood drills there have a small gimlet point. Look carefully at the masonry drills: they have an insert which forms the tip, which is a much harder material than steel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
Dont. You seem very insecure about drilling those holes. You just bought the drill and dont know how to use it.
I guess we all have to drill our first hole! And what guarantee the "professional" won't hit something?

Frankly, stuff like getting holes in line and level is harder than the drilling itself.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 01:19   #2453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I've always used the same as the metal-type drills for wood. Works fine. Oh, wait, I also use spade drills for wood.

I guess we all have to drill our first hole! And what guarantee the "professional" won't hit something?
Frankly, stuff like getting holes in line and level is harder than the drilling itself.
They have been doing this for a long time. They use a stud finder, either magnetic or electronic.
I agree that one should drill the first hole but you dont do that on a wall with electric wires inside. That is no way to learn to drill holes.
Old 3rd May 2021, 03:07   #2454
Distinguished - BHPian

The vast majority of people who drill holes in walls do not have such tools. Including me. One has to rely on common sense and good guesswork. By the way, plastic water pipes can't be detected. This is the thing that concerns me most in Indian houses.

If anyone has developed a detector that can find plastic water pipes, do post the link: I'll add to my wish list.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 06:30   #2455
BHPian

Hi All,
I am planning to upgrade my welding tool and looking for some advise. I fabricate simple metal objects that eventually help in sorting out some issues without spending much. It's more like a hobby now and no commercial activities and hence budget too is limited.

I am planning to pick up a basic Inverter welding machine from Amazon. I am unsure if I need the one with or without the Force Control(DIG) option. I googled but could not find a real world explanation of where it would make a difference on a actual welding job.

Here is a picture of a simple 2 legged wall mounted table that I made, just to keep small items below the tv, yet not occupying space on floor. So the machine will be used for only this sort of fabrication and nothing on professional level.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-16200033656507398205540607535238.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-16200034244433034954949606062804.jpg  

SS80 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 12:11   #2456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Looking for a portable drill machine for home usage. Main purpose will be drilling holes in wall or wood at times for hanging stuff.

Are these good enough for rare usage? It's like 3-4 times a year we need to drill a few holes in wall and at times in wood.
Buy something good, if you are going to sink money into it.

Check with your local mistri or carpenter for advice on brands.

I bought Ralli Wolf after consulting my distant cousin, who is a carpenter.

It can drill holes into anything, has a hammer drill function that's come in handy several times for small DIYs. As competent as the mistri's own drill.

Chinese brands won't last and the likes of Bosch may be difficult to service and repair locally.

Trust me, the DIY bug hit me hard last year and I bought so many pieces of equipment. The drill has been the one that has been used the most. A good drill will serve you well for many years.
Old 3rd May 2021, 12:48   #2457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS80 View Post
Hi All,
I am planning to upgrade my welding tool and looking for some advise. I fabricate simple metal objects that eventually help in sorting out some issues without spending much. It's more like a hobby now and no commercial activities and hence budget too is limited.
Wow. That is a good glass/steel table you have made. What is the current welding tool you have now ? I always wanted a welding machine for my odd jobs. It is a pain to cut everything and take it to the nearby welder. But the rare use doesn't justify the cost of a full fledged welding machine now.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 13:33   #2458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Check with your local mistri or carpenter for advice
It can drill holes into anything, has a hammer drill function that's come in handy several times for small DIYs. As competent as the mistri's own drill.
You mentioned the minimum a Drill Machine must have.
Important is the Chuck size - 10 mm or 13 mm Dia ?
Does it have speed controller to be used as Screw / Unscrew mode ?
Bosch, I suppose has a good service back up.
Old 3rd May 2021, 13:39   #2459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Wow. Th justify the cost of a full fledged welding machine now.
Thanks currently I am using this machine it's a old transformer type technology, ac welder. There is barely any control on amp hence welding thinner pipes and sheets is highly impossible even with different electrodes. I bought this in 2018 for 5k for machine, helmet, gloves, electrode holder, ground clip, 10ft copper wire and 2 C clamps. For most welding jobs, I use 6013 or 7018 electrode.

The other pic is half of my existing tools collection
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-img_20180819_170514.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-img_20200201_165036_1.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-img_20200201_180742_1.jpg  

SS80 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 13:50   #2460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
You mentioned the minimum a Drill Machine must have.
Important is the Chuck size - 10 mm or 13 mm Dia ?
Bosch, I suppose has a good service back up.
I have a Bosch as well as a Skil 550W hammer drill at home. They both are functionally similar except that the Skil is manufactured in China and marketed by Bosch and the Bosch is made in India. These two have been used from the last five years or so without any issue. The only maintenance I have done once is to open up the carbon brushes of the Skil and clean it along with the Motor armature because the drill was running choppy at lower speeds.

These come with a 13mm chuck and is suitable for most application except RCC. While I have used this to drill holes in the ceiling with a 6mm bit, anything bigger will not be a good idea with this one since the hammer action would not be sufficient enough and would take some manual effort to go in, along with the drill bit heating up and warping or even breaking.

If you want a single drill gun for average use, then go with these kits of around 550-600W. But for those who want to use it for RCC and bigger holes, then I would recommend the professional series from Bosch. They are the real powerful ones. About other brands I have no idea. I think there are a lot of generic brands at a cheaper price, but have no idea about how they fare in the longrun.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks