Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2010, 19:49   #106
Senior - BHPian

Are jack stands available in JC Road, Bangalore ? Any idea on the costs ?

Also, has anyone tried this multimeter ?

http://cgi.ebay.in/Digital-Multimete...item5ad7668f7b

Last edited by sdp1975 : 24th February 2010 at 19:52.
Old 24th February 2010, 20:12   #107
knp
BHPian

those multimeters work well. I have one, bought at SP road for 100/- and works great. the life of battery that comes with this device is less, and you can replace it with maxell or some other good brand one (it costs only 10/-).
Old 25th February 2010, 01:19   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
Hi guys!
But, in this same thread I read of a guy who got it for Rs. 3500.
Abhinav Sharma
If you were referring to my post, I have the GSB10RE and not GSB13RE. So that could be the cause of the price difference.
Old 25th February 2010, 18:50   #109
BHPian

@Jaguar-Hi, can you please find out the price for the tool kit bundled with GSB13 RE professional at your place? That would be of great help.
Old 25th February 2010, 21:07   #110
BHPian

Quote:
@Jaguar-Hi, can you please find out the price for the tool kit bundled with GSB13 RE professional at your place? That would be of great help.
I was even trying to buy this kit but GSB10 RE is discontinued and only GSB13 RE was avaliable and the price was 4200.
Old 25th February 2010, 21:27   #111
BHPian

You mean the final discounted price was Rs. 4200? I am getting it for Rs. 3900 here in Faridabad.
Old 25th February 2010, 21:59   #112
BHPian

Folks,
Need your advise on SKIL power tools. I am looking to buy a small drilling machine for odd jobs at home and saw the SKIL drilling machine for a shade below 2K.
I do understand that SKIL is a part of the BOSCH group but wanted to know how their power tools are?

Thanks
f1fan
Old 25th February 2010, 22:10   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Folks,
Need your advise on SKIL power tools. I am looking to buy a small drilling machine for odd jobs at home and saw the SKIL drilling machine for a shade below 2K.
I do understand that SKIL is a part of the BOSCH group but wanted to know how their power tools are?

Thanks
f1fan
I have been using Skill Drill machine for all small house hold stuffs since past two years and i must say it has given good amount of service.
Quite a handy tool.
Old 26th February 2010, 11:41   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Folks,

Thanks
f1fan
I bought a SKIL 550W hammer drill and I use it for DIY jobs around the house. It came with a good selection of bits for wood, cement and metal, plus a set of screwdriver tips. The only drawback is that the drill tip tends to move a bit from left to right at low RPM. Not sure if this is a common problem and how to correct it, but can be a pain sometimes. It doesn't really affect the work, but sends a lot of vibrations up your arm!
Old 26th February 2010, 13:18   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
... the drill tip tends to move a bit from left to right at low RPM. Not sure if this is a common problem and how to correct it, but can be a pain sometimes. ...
It can happen if one is not centering it in the chuck properly, or the drill is bent /curved (can happen when the bit heats up substantially in a sustained run). In a bad case it can also compromise your safety as such a bit can snap at the base of the flute.

Simple solution - don't be stingy, throw away that bit and get a new one.

Also, it is a good practice to always punch a starter hole (a quick tap with a hammer on a thick nail will do in most cases) where you want to drill. Prevents the bit from drifting off when you start.
Old 26th February 2010, 13:23   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
@black12rr how much did the vernier caliper cost you? What is the warranty? i also plan to buy one.

Spike
1400 in blore without bill or 12.5 % extra with bill. .
Warranty ? ... what can go wrong in a VC ? .Its made in JAPAN .
Old 26th February 2010, 13:35   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
It can happen if one is not centering it in the chuck properly, or the drill is bent /curved (can happen when the bit heats up substantially in a sustained run). In a bad case it can also compromise your safety as such a bit can snap at the base of the flute.

Simple solution - don't be stingy, throw away that bit and get a new one.

Also, it is a good practice to always punch a starter hole (a quick tap with a hammer on a thick nail will do in most cases) where you want to drill. Prevents the bit from drifting off when you start.
Yeah, I too thought it might be a centering problem, but ruled this out by removing and carefully re-setting the bit in the chuck ensuring it's centered properly. Also tried with different bits (all of them came with the drill though) so I think it's a problem with the chuck or shaft rather than the bit.

Now thinking of taking it to a Bosch service center and having them take a look at it.
Old 26th February 2010, 15:24   #118
BHPian

Hi I bought the BOSCH GRB13RE Professional bundled toolkit here in Faridabad for Rs.3900. I have a doubt in my mind.
How do I use the spirit level for straight drilling. There are three in the casing but I can't figure out how to use it.
Help!
Abhinav Sharma
Old 27th February 2010, 10:30   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
... I think it's a problem with the chuck or shaft rather than the bit. ...
Could be - but that is simple to check. Just run the drill without the bit (chuck tightened) and check the run-out. You can make out the run-out by lightly touching the surface of the shaft or chuck (be careful). If there is a run-out, you will feel a vibration, not just the rub.

There could be another problem, though - 1 of the 3 sliding keys in the chuck may be stuck or has sand in it. This may cause loss of centering.

In any case, taking it to Bosch service is the best idea.

Quote:
... How do I use the spirit level for straight drilling. ...
Depending on whether the drill is vertical or horizontal while drilling, and assuming the surface where the hole is to be made is horizontal or vertical correspondingly, and you have punched a starter hole ...

Position the bit tip in the starter hole. Before you switch the drill on, you will need to check the spirit-levels simultaneously to see if the bubbles are in the center. While drilling, check a few times whether the bubbles are still in the center. If not, slowly move the drill appropriately to get them back in center.
Old 27th February 2010, 11:15   #120
BHPian

Can somebody help me identify the types of drill bits I am supplied with my new BOSCH GSB13 RE drill machine?

Most Viewed