Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2016, 13:14   #1291
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Few years back I had bought this rust proof coating which was in a can and sprayed that on the pipe and before I knew it , peeled off.

Does anyone have an idea of a good rust proof spray which can withstand heat as well for use on the exhaust system. Thankfully, there is no issue of rust in the system and I would like to give a fresh look and at the same time proof it from future age related breakages.
Which one have you tried? Have you tried Bosny High temperature resistant paint? They come in a can and are doing fine on my old scooter when I sprayed onto the exhaust pipe. However, it also depends upon surface preparation. Hence, you should take care of that with a good primer in case you are spraying it onto stainless steel and such polished metal and also ensure that the surface is cleaned well and no oil or grease is present.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2016, 13:35   #1292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Which one have you tried? Have you tried Bosny High temperature resistant paint? They come in a can and are doing fine on my old scooter when I sprayed onto the exhaust pipe. However, it also depends upon surface preparation. Hence, you should take care of that with a good primer in case you are spraying it onto stainless steel and such polished metal and also ensure that the surface is cleaned well and no oil or grease is present.
I don't remember the name, but it wasn't a heat resistant one.
I can try this one out. What colour is it?

The exhaust is not stainless steel or polished, but I need to sand it down or peel off the old paint coat .
Old 24th March 2016, 13:38   #1293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The exhaust is not stainless steel or polished, but I need to sand it down or peel off the old paint coat .
You get it in a few colours. Mainly flat and glossy black, silver and a few standard colours like red, blue etc. Also there are different temperatures that the paint can withstand. Check out amazon.

For example, you have a flat black for 400 def F as well as another shade of flat black which can withstand 1200F. So check the product before you buy.
Old 4th April 2016, 11:59   #1294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I had ordered a can of Bosny Hi-heat silver(non-Metallic) and used it to paint the calipers of the SX4. I wasnt looking for a fancy red or blue and just wanted the calipers to look nice, since I had seen a lot of cars in germany with silver calipers. Since a tyre change was nearing, I wanted to make it look brand new. Along with the silver I also had ordered rubberised undercoat from Bosny again which is similar to the underbody coating done on the car. I used this to paint the rear drums. Overall, it gave the wheels a new look. Here are the results:

Tools for a DIYer-wp_20160403_15_54_55_pro.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-wp_20160403_15_55_15_pro.jpg

I have used other paint cans in my tool collection for various purposes, but they are not as good as Bosny.

Last edited by audioholic : 4th April 2016 at 12:00.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 10:27   #1295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Bosny Hi-heat silver(non-Metallic) and used it to paint the calipers of the SX4. ... rear drums. ...
Super!

* Did you dismantle the calipers and paint them, or did you paint them in situ?

* Where did you order the Bosny paint cans from?
Old 5th April 2016, 10:42   #1296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Super!

* Did you dismantle the calipers and paint them, or did you paint them in situ?

* Where did you order the Bosny paint cans from?
I didnt dismantle the calipers since I did not have enough tools to reset the brake pads. I did some serious bit of masking with masking tape and cling film to ensure that paint doesnt go where it is not supposed to. However had left some disc surface at the edge of the caliper uncovered(anyways not an issue).

Bosny I got a few of the cans from Amazon. It is available at a tools store nearby but he didnt have the selection I had in Amazon. The high temp silver was not available and he only had the regular silver.

The calipers look beautiful now. For those interested in doing the same, there is another shade called silver-grey which I think is similar to gunmetal. I will give that a try sometime. That should look even cool. The rear drums also look new after receiving a coat of rubberised black.
Old 5th April 2016, 11:48   #1297
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone using Fluke Thermometers? I was looking at Fluke 59 Thermometer on Amazon for 1.8k for casual uses. How is the product? Are there any better alternates at the same price?
Old 5th April 2016, 11:50   #1298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Bosny I got a few of the cans from Amazon. It is available at a tools store nearby but he didnt have the selection I had in Amazon. The high temp silver was not available and he only had the regular silver.
Can you share the link? can't find it
Old 5th April 2016, 11:59   #1299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Can you share the link? can't find it
Here you go:

Silver grey - Normal use: http://www.amazon.in/Bosny-Acrylic-A...=AG7FCD33DZEB8

Non metallic silver- Hi Heat 1200 deg F(the one I got): http://www.amazon.in/Hi-Heat-Resista...ilpage_o02_s00

Metallic silver - Hi Heat 400 deg F: http://www.amazon.in/Hi-Heat-Resista...CR09YBC0GQCREG

There is a huge selection. So ensure you get the right one. The Hi-heat paints are resin based whereas the regular shades are acrylic based. Acrylic based dont withstand heat and will flake or peel off when exposed to heat.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 13:31   #1300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a huge selection. So ensure you get the right one. The Hi-heat paints are resin based whereas the regular shades are acrylic based. Acrylic based dont withstand heat and will flake or peel off when exposed to heat.
Hi audioholic, which non-metallic shade from the Bosny range would be the best fit for the colour shown below?

Tools for a DIYer-tvsapachertr16020086.jpg

Also, which one would be a good general purpose touch-up paint (in Black) for metallic surfaces (window grills etc)?

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 5th April 2016 at 13:35.
Old 5th April 2016, 13:40   #1301
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Hi audioholic, which non-metallic shade from the Bosny range would be the best fit for the colour shown below?

Also, which one would be a good general purpose touch-up paint (in Black) for metallic surfaces (window grills etc)?
Hey, I am not sure if you can match vehicle paints with these standard colours. Hence, I dont think I can suggest you something for the bike if you are looking to match the paint. The closest one would be silver grey but I have no clue how the shade is.

For window grills, spray paint will be uneconomical since you will waste a lot of paint while spraying on the rods. The rest will escape to thin air and will also cause pollution. I think you should be better off using paint from the bottle.
Old 12th April 2016, 10:35   #1302
Distinguished - BHPian

After having used hand tools and el-cheapo drills, I picked up a dremel 4000, and a skil impact drill as in the picture, and with the same attachments. Also picked up a 32mm saw blade for it, and a set of dremel drill bits.
I used to think a drill is a drill, period, till my FIL loaned me his B&D unit, and it was a world of difference.

What I want to know from other dremel users is:
1. the 38 mm blades, what all can I use that for? I used one on wood, and 25000rpm. It did the task, sawed through 2x4s about 7-8 times, but is disintegrating at the edges.
It would be better to use the hand held saw to reach the "general" dimensions, and then move to the dremel?
2. What are the tiny circular sandpaper looking things? The discs.
3. What is the use for the earplug looking things?
4. Finally, whats in the mini rectangular case?

The dremel box has color codes listed, which I haven't taken the time to figure out.

Also, the unit got quite hot while I ran it to cut the wood. However, that was at high RPM, and as I read, i should not be applying pressure, letting the high RPM do the work.
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-91njk6uieal._sl1500_.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-31ewsgvihpl.jpg  

Old 12th April 2016, 10:51   #1303
Senior - BHPian

Different materials require different Saw blades. Wood ones require a coarser pitch with space between the blades to flush the chips. Aluminum and soft metals require finer pitch. Steel and other hard materials require harder blade tips. So you have to choose the blade according to the material. One-blade-fits-all does not work, except in emergencies. There are quite a few sites that describe the advantages/disadvantages of various blade geometries, pitch and tips.

With dremel running at very high speeds, you should not use any force, but let the speed do the work. If you apply any force the blade will get ruined.

Last edited by Aroy : 12th April 2016 at 10:53.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 11:15   #1304
Senior - BHPian

I do not think a dremel is the ideal tool for cutting 2x4s.
Dremels are more suited towards finer cutting/engraving/polishing/grinding/sharpening - pretty much anything on a smaller scale.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 13:12   #1305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I do not think a dremel is the ideal tool for cutting 2x4s.
Dremels are more suited towards finer cutting/engraving/polishing/grinding/sharpening - pretty much anything on a smaller scale.
I know now.
I'm more of a hacksaw, saw, hammer and sandpaper kind of guy. The learning from experience is to be expected. Any idea about the other conundrums of mine?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks