Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:09   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Heavy rain, blinkers on; how do you signal lane change?

Hazard lights should be used only in case of hazardous situations. And if the rains are so heavy that they are a potential hazard you would either not be changing lanes at all or nobody would be in neighbouring lanes. In a really hazardous situation such as flooded streets with low visibility and heavy rains the vehicles would ideally be filing behind a leader and thus take up just one lane.
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:12   #32
BHPian

I travel frequently between Pune and Mumbai using the express way. In tunnels and in rains where visibility is an issue, I very much use the headlights on low beam and the tail lights are sufficient enough to vehicles following me.

Hazard button is flipped only when in dire situation as most other have mentioned.
Leave the indicators to only indicate
Old 3rd May 2011, 19:23   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
I always use the blinkers when Im slowing down unexpectedly for a speedbreaker or some animal crossing the road, I fear the dimwit driving behind me might not stop in time and might end up kissing my cars rear end.
You should change your break lights to blinking red lights if you are really worried. That's what they are for.

If anybody has hazard lights on, I would expect them to get off the road at the next possible opportunity and call/wait for help.
Old 3rd May 2011, 19:32   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
You should change your break lights to blinking red lights if you are really worried. That's what they are for.
Blinking red lights?! As in, the one used by F1 cars?

Which private vehicles use those?
Old 3rd May 2011, 19:34   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Blinking red lights?! As in, the one used by F1 cars?

Which private vehicles use those?
I have seen some vehicles with brake lights blinking so I assumed it was possible. Otherwise, there are 'enhanced" brake lights with a large bar shaped light on the top of the vehicle connected to the brakes.
Old 3rd May 2011, 19:51   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have seen some vehicles with brake lights blinking so I assumed it was possible. Otherwise, there are 'enhanced" brake lights with a large bar shaped light on the top of the vehicle connected to the brakes.
Something like this ==> The Home Of Flashing Brake Lights

I know of someone on this forum who has replaced the brake lights of an i20 with these.

Last edited by Shubz : 3rd May 2011 at 19:54.
Old 3rd May 2011, 20:06   #37
BHPian

I do not know why such a fuss is made over the 'improper' user of hazards. Just because the convention in Europe or US or Australia or Timbuktu is to not use them while driving, it does not mean we should do the same in India too. Every country has its own road conventions. Whichever country we are driving in, it is our primary responsibility to familiarize ourselves with that convention.

Hazards are meant to be used when the conditions are deemed hazardous. In low visibility situations, the driving conditions are definitely hazardous. It is not possible to pull over to the side of the road every time and wait for the conditions to improve. For example, the northern part of India is covered in fog for days on end. The visibility at times drops to a few metre. One seriously cannot be expected to wait for the fog to clear.

The parking / head / fog lamps are all well and good. But the fact is that the amber light of the blinkers is visible over much longer distances due to its longer wavelength. Hazards illuminate your vehicle from all sides and not just the front and the back. When visibility is low, it is good to be lit up like a Christmas tree.

I am in no way condoning the use of hazards in a tunnel or the like. Do keep in mind, however, that there are occasions when use of hazards on an expressway tunnel would be a sensible choice. For example, it is quite possible that due to water-logging or an accident your vehicle has to slow down to less than the average speeds of the expressway. In such cases, it is always good to let the vehicles behind you know that you have slowed down.

Hazards instantly make other drivers drive a little more cautiously. Whether it is to signal a sudden bump on the road or poor visibility, they attract attention. In hazardous driving conditions, it is that split second that other road users save when their attention is drawn to a hazard which makes the difference between life and death.

Last edited by lucifer1881 : 3rd May 2011 at 20:08.
Old 3rd May 2011, 20:35   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
I do not know why such a fuss is made over the 'improper' user of hazards.
You can use hazard lights if conditions force you to slow down or stop. But when you have a running traffic for hours in that situation, hazard lights are unnecessary.

Quote:
Hazards instantly make other drivers drive a little more cautiously. Whether it is to signal a sudden bump on the road or poor visibility, they attract attention.
This is the problem. People turn them on forcing everybody to be cautious. And then everybody turns them on all the time in rain to force everybody to be cautious. Was that necessary?

If you are hazardous to others, get off at the next possible opportunity and call/wait for help.

US, UK or Timbaktu, "Hazard" has the same meaning everywhere.
Old 3rd May 2011, 21:15   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Every country has its own road conventions. Whichever country we are driving in, it is our primary responsibility to familiarize ourselves with that convention. ...

I may be wrong here, but my Driving School guy told me NOT to turn on Hazard Lights unless you had a problem (any kind, not just breakdown) and needed help - he said this was according to Motor Vehicle Rules from govt. of India.

Now if that were true, wouldn't you be breaking this country's conventions if you did use Hazard lights for anything other than a hazard?
Old 3rd May 2011, 21:27   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do not know why such a fuss is made over the 'improper' user of hazards.
From the 'free online dictionary'
Quote:
hazard light

n. A light on a vehicle that blinks to indicate that the vehicle poses danger to others.
That said, you are free to use hazard lights in normal driving conditions when you are not sure of your driving skills!

Last edited by DRIV3R : 3rd May 2011 at 21:28.
Old 4th May 2011, 00:33   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do not know why such a fuss is made over the 'improper' user of hazards. Just because the convention in Europe or US or Australia or Timbuktu is to not use them while driving, it does not mean we should do the same in India too...
This is the best i have heard in sometime.

I think we shoud not follow any rules which other countries are following. Lets start this by turning right while switching on left indicator!!!
Old 4th May 2011, 00:43   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
This is where Fog lamps come into play. Low placed front and rear foglamps make your car visible to others in bad weather. I find the low placed rear foglamps in Swift and Punto to be very effective.

Posting pic from my Punto thread. Clicked on a freezing winter night.
Attachment 538324

I never use Hazard lights in Rain or Fog.

dot sir, fog lamps at the rear ?? For what ? unless you are driving in reverse for long periods in strange places. Even bright brake lamps are such a nuisance in traffic (e.g Santro).
Old 4th May 2011, 01:00   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do keep in mind, however, that there are occasions when use of hazards on an expressway tunnel would be a sensible choice. For example, it is quite possible that due to water-logging or an accident your vehicle has to slow down to less than the average speeds of the expressway. In such cases, it is always good to let the vehicles behind you know that you have slowed down.
Now you are talking about very specific hazardous conditions where it is better to switch on the hazard signal - but what we are talking about is the practice of people switching on the hazard lights and then driving on as if it is business as usual. The conditions you are referring to are when your vehicle poses or may pose a risk to other vehicles on the road and hence it becomes imperative that you switch on the blinkers (but I dont think it is advisable to switch on the blinkers just for driving on less than average speeds)
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 01:19   #44
BHPian

Quote:
...This is the problem. People turn them on forcing everybody to be cautious. And then everybody turns them on all the time in rain to force everybody to be cautious. Was that necessary?
I would like to think that being cautious is a good thing. Hence necessary.

Quote:
If you are hazardous to others, get off at the next possible opportunity and call/wait for help.
Like I said, what do you do in fog that lasts days? Ever tried to drive on a Northern Indian highway where you would struggle to see your hand? The fog will not lift for days. Would you wait that long?

Quote:
US, UK or Timbaktu, "Hazard" has the same meaning everywhere.
Not debating the meaning of hazard. Simply saying that what works for Peter may not work for Tom. Road conventions are unique to every country. In India, on single carriageways we use our right turn indicator to signal to the vehicle behind that it is safe to overtake. Overtaking is the same everywhere. How one signals it differs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
I may be wrong here, but my Driving School guy told me NOT to turn on Hazard Lights unless you had a problem (any kind, not just breakdown) and needed help - he said this was according to Motor Vehicle Rules from govt. of India...
If there is a law against it in India, then we must respect it. Could someone please verify if such a law exists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsatan View Post
This is the best i have heard in sometime.

I think we shoud not follow any rules which other countries are following. Lets start this by turning right while switching on left indicator!!!
Okay, I never meant that. Please read my clarifications above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
...(but I dont think it is advisable to switch on the blinkers just for driving on less than average speeds)
A vehicle driving slower than the average speeds definitely poses a risk for other vehicles. This is especially true on expressways. In such cases, I think it does make sense to use your hazards to warn others of your incapacity to move faster.

On another note, hazard lights are meant to indicate if your vehicle may pose a risk to others on the road. In case of low visibility, every vehicle poses a significant risk to every other vehicle. Being lit up like a lighthouse helps.
Old 4th May 2011, 01:30   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
dot sir, fog lamps at the rear ?? For what ? unless you are driving in reverse for long periods in strange places. Even bright brake lamps are such a nuisance in traffic (e.g Santro).

I think he mentioned it'll be used only in fog - though I agree it'll cause a lot of confusion.

I mean if I come behind his car in compelet fog, I can see the light but not the car and next things I'm thinking is that there is car coming towards me - it is dangerous to the guy behind him (though he probably doesn't care)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks