Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2011, 20:15   #16
BANNED

Re: Emergency Driving - 'While' Driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Not sure if this was a question or a snide comment. Eitherway i just said between driving at 100kmph and 140Kmph one saves 12 second a KM.

Between 80 and 140 the difference would be definitely more.

No snide comment - I misread your post thats all.

Thanks for clarifying

--Ragul
Old 27th May 2011, 13:33   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
The coolant will be in circulation within the block unless threshold temperature is reached and the thermostat opens to extend the circuit to the radiator. In the event, thermostat does not open, you will see the temperature rising. I am not sure if the radiator fan switches on based on the thermostat position or temperature sensor but the heater core-blower will act as a small radiator and allow some heat to be extracted.
Yes, I understand. What I mean is:

The reasons for temperature rise will be mostly, 1. Blown engine fan, 2. Clogged coolant circulation, 3. No coolant.

In these, this method will not work only for 1, because the other two will mean there is no coolant circulation. So heat cannot dissipated via heater core.
Old 27th May 2011, 13:59   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Yes, I understand. What I mean is:

The reasons for temperature rise will be mostly, 1. Blown engine fan, 2. Clogged coolant circulation, 3. No coolant.

In these, this method will not work only for 1, because the other two will mean there is no coolant circulation. So heat cannot dissipated via heater core.
Agreed. I assume that the 'not' in your first statement is a typo. Putting it bit differently, as long as coolant is available and circulating, heater core will assist in additional deat dissipation!
Old 27th May 2011, 14:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

Real emergency:

Situation:
A person need to be hospitalized due to medical emergency,
that person may be your family member,
you are the sole driver at that situation,
patient at the backside of the car,
you are driving toward hospital like crazy with lot of emotions,
how to cope with situation?
Old 27th May 2011, 15:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
how to cope with situation?
Assuming you tried all other options to get an Ambulance. Now a days Ambulance are stationed almost every 50 kms atleast.

Ideally it is better to not drive someone in that condition. Not only you will drive crazy, in the worst case you may end up punishing yourself for no reason. If not punish atleast end up blaming yourself.

Call the nearest hospital and drive to the hospital very carefully and steadily.
Old 27th May 2011, 15:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Call the nearest hospital and drive to the hospital very carefully and steadily.

I had gone through this emergency.

If the patient is your dear child, your mind stop to work.
The situation demand immediate hospitalization and there is no time to call ambulance, you have to drive all the way.

It is dangerous driving, you are holding mobile in one hand trying to call some one, other hand on steering, mind toward your child, one km road become 100km road at that situation but you have to go.

One can not concentrate on driving.
Old 27th May 2011, 16:51   #22
BHPian

This is not a means to deal with an emergency, but more of a preventive.

Please ensure that you dont keep a bottle (whether water or otherwise) on the floor of the car, so that it may roll into driver's foot well (is that the right term?). If the bottle rolls around in the driver's foot well, there is a chance of it rolling and getting stuck behind the brake or clutch pedal and thereby stopping you from pressing/using them!

This happened to me once. A pet bottle got stuck behind the clutch when I was driving, and I couldn't press the clutch to down shift or brake. I had to brake and purposely stall the car to stop it! It was a very scary experience.

Even if a bottle is kept in the back seat floor, there is a chance of it rolling forward. So please do take care to ensure that there are no bottles rolling around in the car.
Old 27th May 2011, 21:13   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualManuel View Post
... If the bottle rolls around in the driver's foot well, there is a chance of it rolling and getting stuck behind the brake or clutch pedal and thereby stopping you from pressing/using them!....
Good Point. Based on your experience, what would you suggest as a remedy, if such an emergency occurs?.
Old 27th May 2011, 21:29   #24
Team-BHP Support

The opposite happened with me long back. I was driving the Zen; which has a small open-ended lever below the seat to move it forward/backward.

I was wearing shoes; and all shoes have that small loop at the back. Mr. Murphy thought he'd have some fun with me and that loop ended up being stuck in that lever! So, my left leg was stuck which meant I could not engage the clutch and hence change gears.

I pulled over and started braking and let the engine die out. Damn tense moments!

Quote:
Good Point. Based on your experience, what would you suggest as a remedy, if such an emergency occurs?.
I think a moderate use of the handbrake would be required here.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 27th May 2011 at 21:37.
Old 28th May 2011, 14:47   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The opposite happened with me long back. I was driving the Zen; which has a small open-ended lever below the seat to move it forward/backward.

I think a moderate use of the handbrake would be required here.
@ Dhanushs - Since the clutch was stuck, and I could not down shift, I moved over to the shoulder of the road and pressed the brake. The car slowed down, stalled and stopped. That's the only option I could think of. If anyone has any suggestions on what else to do, do chip in.

@ libranof1987 - Don't think the handbrake is a good idea. Use of the hand brake would generally cause the wheels to lock up. The handbrake will also slow down the car and cause it to stall, but the drawback is locking up of the wheels.
Old 30th May 2011, 14:42   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

A list of emergency items:
  • A Working Flashlight
  • Reflectors to keep your car 'visible'
  • A Knife or even better, a Swiss knife.
  • Spare fuse.
  • An Address book
  • A list of Emergency personal numbers to call, stuck to the dashboard or any other visible place would help greatly whist accidents.
  • A Complete First Aid Kit
  • The regular spare tyre and jack.
  • Long distances ask for a complete puncture repair kit. (tubeless?)
  • Some waste cloth.
  • A pair of gloves, to work with a hot and broken exhaust, red hot discs, or something hot in the engine bay.
  • If possible, jumper cables.
  • Some Insulation tape to mend frayed wired.
  • Some wire to tie some broken part up.
  • Towing kit.
I feel that this list is still lacking. Please add to it as required.

Last edited by dhanushs : 30th May 2011 at 15:02.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 15:17   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The floods each year make 1 item a very important addition to the emergency kit :

- a small hammer/steel object you can use to break open a glass window in case your battery dies out.

What I've noticed over a decade is that manufacturers are not even providing the bare essential tools in the tool kit. In 1996, MS provided a tool kit with spanners of a large variety of sizes, a screw driver and of course the jack.

In 2003, our Alto came with just the jack and the lever to operate it. That's it! And they added the hazard reflector to the kit.

Same was the case with Corsa and Zen.

So,

- spanners of the most common sizes : 8, 9, 10, 11 should be available in the tool kit. For odd but important jobs like tightening the wipers, replacing lamp assemblies etc.
Old 30th May 2011, 15:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is one exhaustive list. What is lacking perhaps, is proper storage of all these items and knowing where they are even in the dark. You dont want to be looking for your address book in the boot of the car.
Old 30th May 2011, 18:17   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Good compilation. I believe there is another thread somewhere which has essentials for an offroader. Few additions to this list

1. Duct (masking) tape : It's very useful even in first aid to apply heavy compress on a severe wound.
2. Cable ties to hold up broken components. Also serves as portable nut-bolt replacement.
3. If carrying tubeless tire repair kit, then a portable tire inflator. I also carry couple of valve stems. One would find tire repair shops quite frequently but it might not have valve stems.
4. Small flexible pipe (kind used in IV drips) - useful for fluid related purposes.
5. WD40
6. A used cycle spoke to weave a rag through your wheel caps. Sometimes they just don't come off and you run the risk of cuts/breaking them if too much local force is used.
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2011, 04:37   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
.. What is lacking perhaps, is proper storage of all these items and knowing where they are even in the dark....
Good Point. Here's the grouped list, so that you know where to look.

In your glove box:
  • A Working Flashlight
  • A Knife or even better, a Swiss knife.
  • An Address book
  • A spare HL bulb and other bulbs
  • A Complete First Aid Kit
  • Spare Fuses
In your boot:
  • Reflectors to keep your car 'visible'
  • The regular spare tyre and jack.
  • Long distances ask for a complete puncture repair kit. (tubeless?)
  • Portable tyre inflator
  • Duct (masking) tape
  • Some waste cloth.
  • A pair of gloves, to work with a hot and broken exhaust, red hot discs, or something hot in the engine bay.
  • If possible, jumper cables.
  • Some Insulation tape to mend frayed wired.
  • Some wire or cables to tie some broken part up.
  • WD40
  • Towing kit.
And you might consider a list of Emergency personal numbers to call, stuck to the dashboard or any other visible place. To help whist accidents.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks