Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2011, 06:21   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Emergency Driving - 'While' Driving

Re: Fuse : Just make sure that your vehicle has full complement of fuse in fuse box. Most newer vehicles also have spare fuse inside fuse box and the location diagram tells you what's what.
Old 31st May 2011, 15:46   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Re: Fuse : Just make sure that your vehicle has full complement of fuse in fuse box. Most newer vehicles also have spare fuse inside fuse box and the location diagram tells you what's what.
True, afterall a fuse costs just about ~10rs?.

btw, I've still not able to figure out how the location diagram in my IKON works. It just doesn't make sense. I always manually check by removing each fuse.

And, add a complete tool kit to the list of things in boot.
Old 31st May 2011, 16:22   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
True, afterall a fuse costs just about ~10rs?.

btw, I've still not able to figure out how the location diagram in my IKON works. It just doesn't make sense. I always manually check by removing each fuse.

And, add a complete tool kit to the list of things in boot.
Fuse box is a good thing but it is crucial that one figure out the schematics and the positioning of various fuses.

During our M800 days, I found the location of the fuse box and the description of each fuse wrt purpose and fuse capacity on the box casing very helpful. All the modern cars now have very complicated diagrams.

About the tool kit, there some really nice ones available. We have this 1 kit my folks got from the US : it has,
- a non-static cloth
- jumper cables
- a screw driver with an open end and some 10 sizes of screw heads so you can affix any of them3 kits,
- insulating tape
- plier
- couple of spanners
- spare fuses.

That cost some $20. It was something like this :
Attached Thumbnails
Emergency Driving - 'While' Driving-emergencycartoolkit919.jpg  

libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2011, 19:57   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Carrying tool kit is easy. It is using tools that is equally, if not more, important.

For instance I have a tubeless puncture repair kit lying in my car for years. Today got to use it as there was no tubeless puncture guy around and truck tyre walah did not know how. Anyways applying lessons from another thread here - too lazy to look it up right now - fixed the puncture in five minutes.
Old 31st May 2011, 20:57   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualManuel View Post
@ Dhanushs - Since the clutch was stuck, and I could not down shift, I moved over to the shoulder of the road and pressed the brake. The car slowed down, stalled and stopped. That's the only option I could think of. If anyone has any suggestions on what else to do, do chip in.
Even when the clutch is stuck you can shift the gears. I guess this situation also qualifies as an emergency where you can engage the gear without the clutch.

There is a post by sudev
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ut-clutch.html
Old 1st June 2011, 15:29   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
Even when the clutch is stuck you can shift the gears. I guess this situation also qualifies as an emergency where you can engage the gear without the clutch.

There is a post by sudev
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ut-clutch.html
Thank you Figo_mba, that looks like an alternative. Sudev's thread is quite interesting.

After reading that thread, I realized that shifting from a gear to neutral is something that I have done quite often. However, I have never shifted from one gear to another in a car without the clutch (have done it on bikes though). Because of the grating noise caused, I thought it was not possible to do it. But like Sudev mentioned, maybe I should shift to neutral, leave it for a second, and then slowly put it into the next gear.
Old 3rd June 2011, 04:12   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Now that the monsoons have started, Fogs are sometimes a part of it. Driving through dense fog at night might prove dangerous. I thought of adding some safe techniques for driving through Fog.
  • The main issue on Foggy conditions is 'poor visibility'. Hence 1st make sure you are lit up well.
  • If its not raining lower the windows, so that visibility increases on curves.
  • DO NOT OVERTAKE
  • More light is a bad thing during fog. So if your car is equipped with fog lamps use ONLY those. If not use the low beam. On moderate and light fog, you can use fog lights + low beam.
  • If there is a vehicle in front of you during Fog, you get a strange tendency to follow its lights. Well, I'm not saying its a bad thing, but the best thing would be to keep a safe distance (even he has poor visibility) and follow the white lines on the road.
  • One strange thing about Fog is that, it gives a false sense of speed. ie, you might feel you are going much slower where you might be doing good speeds. So PLEASE keep an eye on the speedo. Never cross 40kmph.
  • Drive slowly and steadily. Do NOT brake hard. Fog reduces the perception of distance and there is a high chance of someone rear ending you.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 05:17   #38
BHPian

Good thread to handle emergencies, i was wondering how a power window jammed problem can be handled. Secondly in case the central locking remote does not work how to overcome Thirdly if the steering lock does not disengage than how to go about setting right Finally if the car stalls can we check on the fuse system to correct the same and get the vehicle moving. Does it help to keep spare fuses.
Old 3rd June 2011, 05:29   #39
BHPian

One of my first lesson learnt the hard way due to guidance of my late father while overtaking in the monsoon at higher speeds and if one gets into slushy side road and the vehicle starts wobbling than it is better to keep steering very steady or firm, no twisiting or turning, next is to withdraw leg from accelator pedal and don t for god sake apply brakes. Apply brakes can lead to a uncontrollable spin of the vehicle. Thank god this back seat advice worked and i am alive to tell the story, we survived as a family.
Old 3rd June 2011, 09:37   #40
BHPian

In monsoons, one would come across vehicles in front which do not have mud flaps - result, a spray of mud on your windshield.

While cleaning the windshield with wiper spray and quick wipe is enough, remember that your headlamps will get equally dirty and should be cleaned periodically as well. Same for fog lamps.
Old 3rd June 2011, 10:16   #41
Team-BHP Support

Another important aspect of driving during the rains is understanding the decreased efficiency of the brakes.

Because of the wet surface and hence reduced friction coupled with a wet disc brake, the braking distance would increase.

So, one must keep a sufficient allowance for braking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukderebail View Post
Good thread to handle emergencies, i was wondering how a power window jammed problem can be handled. Secondly in case the central locking remote does not work how to overcome Thirdly if the steering lock does not disengage than how to go about setting right Finally if the car stalls can we check on the fuse system to correct the same and get the vehicle moving. Does it help to keep spare fuses.
1) If you're in the car and power windows are jammed, turn off and then on the engine. Worst case scenario, you'll have to break them.

2) If the remote doesn't work, you can always use the key, right? Manually over-ride the remote central locking, let the car beep for a long time.

3) Steering lock doesn't engage? Never heard of that happening.

4) Yes, carrying spare fuses is a good idea; but you need to be familiar with the fuse diagram and the type of fuses. A mismatch between fuse capacities and you could have a big problem.

Quote:
One of my first lesson learnt the hard way due to guidance of my late father while overtaking in the monsoon at higher speeds and if one gets into slushy side road and the vehicle starts wobbling than it is better to keep steering very steady or firm, no twisiting or turning, next is to withdraw leg from accelator pedal and don t for god sake apply brakes. Apply brakes can lead to a uncontrollable spin of the vehicle. Thank god this back seat advice worked and i am alive to tell the story, we survived as a family.
That is good advice. I got stuck in slush once; just kept the handle steady and let the car stop on its own.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:22   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Thirdly if the steering lock does not disengage than how to go about setting right
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

3) Steering lock doesn't engage? Never heard of that happening.
I think ukderebail's question was what to do in case the steering lock does not disengage, i.e., it continues to remain locked.

Sometimes it is a little hard to get the steering lock to disengage, so you move the steering from side to side (till the limits of the steering lock) while trying to disengage the lock. It has always worked for me.
manualManuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 15:02   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Good thread to handle emergencies, i was wondering how a power window jammed problem can be handled.
Exercise your biceps everyday and carry a hammer with you. . If you have enough time, remove the switch set, and short them. Windows should work.
Quote:
Secondly in case the central locking remote does not work how to overcome
I'm not sure I understand the question. If think what it is, then just use the manual options, ie, use the key.
Quote:
Thirdly if the steering lock does not disengage than how to go about setting right
Yes, do exactly as Manuel suggested. In most cars, just moving the steering and turning the key simultaneously does the trick.
Quote:
Finally if the car stalls can we check on the fuse system to correct the same and get the vehicle moving. Does it help to keep spare fuses.
Umm.. well, ukderebail, there could be many reasons for which a car would stall. But then yes, the fuse box would be the 1st place to start looking for. Different cars are engineered differently, so you might have to take out each fuse and inspect. (Eg: where most cars engine run even with a coolant temperature sensor problem, Ford IKON doesnt.) .

Yes, It does help immensely to keep spare fuses. Especially during night drives, as the Light, Horn fuse is the most vulnerable.

Last edited by dhanushs : 3rd June 2011 at 15:04. Reason: Proof reading
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 15:36   #44
BHPian

In addition to the items listed in the emergency list on this post, I carry a spare fan belt and radiator hoses. This is a habit developed during the seventies driving the Ambassidors of yore! I still carry these items in my Alto.
Regards,
Ashok
Old 3rd June 2011, 16:29   #45
BHPian

The showroom technician states that if the vehicle stalls than roadside mechanics cannot repair the car, in that case do we have to call for towing the vehicle or it can be set right by a authorised dealer mechanic at the spot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks