Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2011, 10:25   #31

Re: Driving with fog-lamps on, headlights off!

Count me in as one who uses his fogs (plus parking lights of course) rather than low beam in the city. but this is just because I don't feel the need for headlights in bumper to bumper traffic and I just hate it when people in the opposite lane are driving on high beams.
Old 14th July 2011, 15:56   #32
Senior - BHPian

i've been perplexed about something i've been seeing for the past few weeks - the new Fabias running in broad daylight with their fog lights on! if it is just one, i can understand, but 5-6 of them!!

from this i can conclude the following - Skoda has a hidden button for the fog lights and the owners have absolutely no clue how to turn it off!!

here's one Fabia i spotted this morning with the fog lamps on!

Driving with fog-lamps on, headlights off!-_mg_0766.jpg

what gives?
Old 14th July 2011, 16:01   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i've been perplexed about something i've been seeing for the past few weeks - the new Fabias running in broad daylight with their fog lights on! if it is just one, i can understand, but 5-6 of them!!

from this i can conclude the following - Skoda has a hidden button for the fog lights and the owners have absolutely no clue how to turn it off!!

Attachment 576837

what gives?
I think those are DRL's. The actual foglight is right next to the DRL light which is on in the photograph you have attached. COuld be wrong though
lilMonSter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 16:33   #34
BANNED

I think fog lights in the Dawn and Dusk look cool. Moreover as they are placed much lower they do not blind other motorists. Also this idea of blinding people on the road is so caveman like. In a tight overtaking situation I dim my lights to allow the oncoming traffic to see that they have enough space to pass me, By blinding them I run the risk of being at the mercy of their “blind” judgment.

Last edited by aah78 : 15th July 2011 at 06:30. Reason: Text format tags removed.
Old 14th July 2011, 16:37   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilMonSter View Post
I think those are DRL's.
Me too think the same. Could be DRL's on the new Fabia's. There is something right next to the lights that are on in the picture. But not sure if they are fogs or if the lights that are on are fog lamps themselves!!
Old 14th July 2011, 16:54   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Attachment 576837

what gives?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilMonSter View Post
I think those are DRL's. The actual foglight is right next to the DRL light which is on in the photograph you have attached. COuld be wrong though
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Me too think the same. Could be DRL's on the new Fabia's. There is something right next to the lights that are on in the picture. But not sure if they are fogs or if the lights that are on are fog lamps themselves!!
Yep, they are the DRL. I searched around on the net if the Fabia has them; the Skoda website The new doesn't say so.

BUT..

The next search return was : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...legance-2.html

The Fabia in the report does have DRL.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 14th July 2011 at 16:56.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 17:13   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
it could be a life saver, if there is an issue with any of the headlamp and if you fail to notice that immediately.
Fully agreed

Just about a week back this happend to me. Rats had cut the headlamp wiring and the light refused to turn on. Fog lights then acted as a lifeline until i drove down to a accessory shop for wire replacement.
Old 14th July 2011, 17:41   #38
BHPian

Quote:

what gives?
I am one of these defaulters!

Actually these are DRLs of new Fabia Elegance trim. DRLs are next to the fog lights. Models prior to Nov 10 had a provision to turn them off. Since Feb 11, EU has made it compulsory to have DRLs that are hard wired to remain on unless either the parking light or head light is on. So no way to turn them off in the new model.
I have a tough time explaining why I drive with my fog lamps on!
Old 14th July 2011, 18:03   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
I am one of these defaulters!

Actually these are DRLs of new Fabia Elegance trim. DRLs are next to the fog lights. Models prior to Nov 10 had a provision to turn them off. Since Feb 11, EU has made it compulsory to have DRLs that are hard wired to remain on unless either the parking light or head light is on. So no way to turn them off in the new model.
I have a tough time explaining why I drive with my fog lamps on!
you shouldn't have bought the car! j/k

it doesn't make you a defaulter. i've seen the DRLs on Audi's, Beamers and Mercs, but never on a Fabia and hence the misinformed post
Old 18th July 2011, 10:16   #40
BHPian

Guess its more about the after market so called fog lamps . Which are mostly too powerful and produce "white light" to help in thick fog. These are mostly additional night driving lamps. Yellow board drivers often use these for aesthetic or to show off in all kinds of weird loactions on their vehicles.
Old 10th August 2011, 01:27   #41
BHPian

I use only my fog lamps with the parking lights many times inside the City. The main roads of Bangalore city are pretty well lit and there is so much traffic around that there is more than enough light all over. So i find no point in turning on my headlights and just have the fog lamps and parking lights on so that people can still recognize the car.

Although the throw of light is really bad (I din't see much of a difference when the headlights were on). I still have them ON with the headlights on the highways and poorly lit roads in the city
Kimified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2011, 23:40   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Gulp! if they have long throw, such lights are useless in real fog driving. Check post #6.
Hi!

Do fog-lamps work? Do they provide illumination which is sufficient to drive around in fog or would low beam work as well?

Asking as I want to be sure before investing in OE fog lamps which cost substantially.

Thanks
Old 10th August 2011, 23:50   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Do fog-lamps work? Do they provide illumination which is sufficient to drive around in fog or would low beam work as well?

Asking as I want to be sure before investing in OE fog lamps which cost
Sheel, I guess the answer is highly variable wrt cars. From my experience, each and every car has a different throw for its Fog lamps. Some like Verna, are only fit for decorative purposes.

The Fog lamps in my IKON does their purpose good. They illuminate the road very near to the car, and also, the throw is wide and short, which is exactly needed in foggy conditions. Fellow bhp'ns who own the same car as you, might be able to help you. btw, is the car a Figo?
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2011, 23:55   #44
Senior - BHPian

Sheel: fog lamps do serve their purpose if properly aligned and focused. These show the edge of the roads as mentioned earlier. However if it's foggy we all tend to go slow and these help a lot however if you uses them everyday then it's just adding to your petrol bill. Electrical load saps engine power. Remember people these lights are short throw with the reflectors built for specific purpose, if you drive continuously it's counter productive as human eye does gets affected with ambient light conditions and thus counter conducive to driving. Hope this helped.

Saw a new Merc E with LED fogs lamps as DRL. Did not look good, was very bright but quite aftermarket stuff.
Old 11th August 2011, 00:04   #45
Team-BHP Support

Yes, I have a Figo. In winters, we do encounter fog and may be 20 days in winters, I might need fog lamps (if they are useful).

I hope they aren't accessory lamps and do serve their purpose if I fit them.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks