Team-BHP - Do SUVs decrease driving fatigue? How?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Do SUVs decrease driving fatigue? How? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/109067-do-suvs-decrease-driving-fatigue-how-7.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsCry (Post 2547399)
1. He has explained in a comment below the youtube video justifying his test at speed of 190kph.
2. Look at his video. He is driving with sufficient responsibility.
3. This exit of the tunnel at Mumbai Pune expressway is generally used for testing a car's top speed by companies/magazines in which the speed generally goes above 300kph.

Does the speed limit on this expressway permit such speeds?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guna (Post 2547577)

Yes! That expressway is India's fastest piece of road. At several points, there are simply no speed limit. No bikes or three wheelers are allowed on that road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunsetorange (Post 2546588)
Driving comfort to me means the ease with which you drive the car and the lack of fatigue after the drive.
For these factors, my ranking would be:

Sedans >MUVs> Hatches >SUVs.

The cars I have driven for >400km one way:

Sedan: Contessa Classic 1.8 GL
Modded Contessa Classic with 2.5 Litre Isuzu Diesel engine
Hyundai Sonata 3.0 v6
ANHC
Nissan Cedric 3.0 Diesel
Mercedes Benz (W 124) 300 D
Mercedes Benz (W 124) E 420 :D

MUV : Toyota Innova D

Hatch : Suzuki Swift Lxi
Suzuki Swift Vdi
Hyundai Santro

SUV : Nissan Patrol
Mahindra Bolero
Mahindra Scorpio

Sedans >MUVs> Hatches >SUVs ?? I do not understand your ranking. Do you mean Sedans are of greater comfort?

There are the vehicles I drove:

Omni (1+yr)
Santro (4+yrs)
i10 Auto (1 + yr Currently)
Aveo (4+yrs)
Scorpio (Currently 2+ yrs)

Obviously the most comfortable to a tall driver like me is Scorpio - rest of the same are almost not-so-comfortable cars.

Previously i owned 05 civic in the city traffic it was fine once i started 300 km office run it gave up on me.So I got a 09 Pajero 3.0 swb & thank god its much better, Now i am not comparing .But with my rash driving & a long journey everyday I would have to say yes it does reduce the fatigue not only of the driving on the road but also other maintenance issues which have to be taken into consideration.I feel suv are built tough, but at the end they are more vulnerable to roll over.:D

I saw many posts where we compare a cheap car with expensive SUV. What's the point ?

- It is unfair. Equally unfair if a BMW owner compares his BMW 5 Series with a Scorpio.
- It does not help prospective buyers. A person with Alto budget will never choose between a Fortuner and an Alto.

MODS: These points are already covered. Please delete it if you think there is no need to repeat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guna (Post 2547577)

There are two aspects of speed limit.
. Design Speed limits, as determined by the Horizontal Curve Design
. Legal Speed limits - as decreed by the Operator/Authorities
For vehicle stability, it is the design speed that should be considered.

I was a member of one of the teams that designed the various stretches of the expressway. The design speed is 140 km/h for most parts, except some sharp curves in the Ghat Section. This applies to the Standard Truck with CG at around 1m. For a low CG vehicle, say a Sedan, the design speeds will become much more. As such only the braking distance on wet surface limits the speed on the straight portions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsCry (Post 2547584)
Yes! That expressway is India's fastest piece of road. At several points, there are simply no speed limit. No bikes or three wheelers are allowed on that road.

Are you sure? i doubt any road section in our country has "no speed limit".

My 2 cents regarding the topic:
i have driven the following vehicles on long drives:
1. Maruti 800
2. Maruti Alto
3. Maruti Alto 1.1
4. Maruti Zen (old model)
5. Hyundai Santro
6. OHC VTEC
7. Mahindra Scorpio

well firstly its unfair to compare a 10L SUV with a <5L hatch so i'll compare the OHC with the scorpio.
The seating position in the scorpio does give the driver a better view, especially since we can see the edges of the bonnet. The story is not the same in the sedan. However the seating position in the sedan is far more relaxed.

Now driver fatigue happens for many reasons:
1. frequent acceleration/braking
2. Frequent gear change(when both cars are manual)
3. how sharply do we corner
4. how well can we see the road
5. condition of the road
6. how stiff the ride is
7. how comfortable the seats are :D

since most sedans/SUVs have different "standards" on above mentioned points, it is hard to give a definite answer to this question.

but i have found the comfort level in my OHC to be far superior to the scorpio.

Quote:

Originally Posted by agbenny (Post 2547862)
Sedans >MUVs> Hatches >SUVs ?? I do not understand your ranking. Do you mean Sedans are of greater comfort?

There are the vehicles I drove:

Omni (1+yr)
Santro (4+yrs)
i10 Auto (1 + yr Currently)
Aveo (4+yrs)
Scorpio (Currently 2+ yrs)

Obviously the most comfortable to a tall driver like me is Scorpio - rest of the same are almost not-so-comfortable cars.

Please try a proper sedan -D segment atleast. You have acres of space and cartloads of comfort, besides doing your spine a favour.

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.I.P (Post 2548506)
Are you sure? i doubt any road section in our country has "no speed limit".

I remember reading Autocar test of a Mercedes Benz SL500 some years ago (may be 8 years ago). There was a sign board reading "Speed Limit End" or something. I certainly do remember seeing several "Speed Limit End" signs at Delhi Agra highway some 9 years ago. Can't see again if these signs are still there due to rising fuel costs :Frustrati

But I think that now all roads must have insanely low speed limit put by traffic cops to earn easy bucks, even at Mumbai Pune expressway (read as low as 35kph at certain parts).

Sorry for :OT You guys carry on with the main topic of this thread.

Legal speed limit for Mumbai-Pune expressway is 80kmph. You can trust me as I have been given overspeeding ticket before.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Positron (Post 2534590)
I have the exact opposite view - SUVs (the ones I have driven anyway) require you sit up more forward / upright, which in turn burns you out quicker. Hatchback or Saloons (it has to be spacious, unlike alto/swift stuff), has a more relaxed seating position, allowing you to keep driving for longer.

All of the above is only when the roads and other cars are all proper and fine. If you are battling your way thru the traffic in most Indian roads, you are probably better off in a tank, truck, bus, suv... in that order.

agree:
Two most important factors (or should I say categories of factors)contributing to comfortable drive:
1. Space / Driving posture / room to stretch your limbs
2. Vehicle dynamics on roads: Often vehincles well planted on road roll lesser, and absorb good amount of jerks reducing the stress on passenger's spine

In both aspects, an SUV usually scores above the hatches or frugal cars. However, there's no denying that comparable cas and SUVs (e.g. X1 and 3 series) often cars are found to be more relaxing, probably because the suspension is made somewhat stiffer to compensate some body roll from extra height.

Lastly, its where you drive makes the most difference. In a bumper to bumper traffic, often a hefty vehicle causes more fatigue compared to smaller / tinier cars. Right of way due to size is a misconception - though SUVs are bigger, they are at least 3-4 times pricier than an average mid size car. Who would risk scratches on their 20L+ SUVs just to stand 2 ft ahead on a traffic light?

My experience of long distance driving in SUV is limited to my Safari and longest in single day is 1150KM driven solo so based on that the important factors in order of priority are.

1. Elbow support ,there is a arm rest of left hand and right elbow can rest on the window sill so can hold steering for hours. Couple this with adjustible steering and arms are in more comfortable position.
2. Upright seating position with adjustable lumber support. Ensures better visibility and also less stress on spine.
3. Better suspensions
4. More interior space so co-passengers can doze off and

I feel SUVs definitely decrease driving fatigue. The biggest contributors to driving fatigue in my hatchback, Indica DLS are
- jerks because of uneven, pot hole ridden roads and rough tarmac
- high NVH levels
- discomfort and complaints of the co passengers because of our bad roads.
- inability to overtake swiftly - lack of power also causes stress i believe.
- good tyres also decrease NVH and consequently driving fatigue

It is for these reasons i've decided that my next car would be a Safari.
The Safari would have
- low NVH levels
- power helping to overtake easily
- good suspension thus swallowing small potholes and rough terrain without letting the inmates get a feel of the road so that they can doze off comfortably

Quote:

Originally Posted by himavanth_m (Post 2535501)
For night driving, I prefer SUVs.

During nights, the blinding lights from opposite trucks are reduced to a certain extent in the SUVs due to high seating position.

This is an interesting point, not very widely covered in this thread. Constant bombardment of high beam light on a non-divided highway certainly causes high fatigue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bharatbits (Post 2670529)
The biggest contributors to driving fatigue in my hatchback, Indica DLS are

- high NVH levels

IMO, NVH levels is a key factor when it comes to driving fatigue. Lets note H or Harshness, is also a parameter where suspension may play a role, though they are not normally correlated and considered. On a very long drive fatigue sets in irrespective of the vehicle being a sedan or SUV, however if NVH is better the fatigue is lesser.

With respect it is a complete myth that SUV's decrease driving fatigue. Indeed I have found completely different and I am a hard core SUV user. The Indian SUV's with their poor ergonomics, bad seats etc definitely INCREASE driving fatigue rather than decrease it. I find a world of difference in my Yeti compared to my Scorpio. To me the crossover is probably the best thing to hit Indian roads. Better driving position and car like comfort beats any SUV hands down! The international SUV's however, seem to have got the comfort aspect down pat though. Yet, I would say that the crossovers have the edge!