Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2011, 23:03   #76

Re: Do SUVs decrease driving fatigue? How?

I have driven a scorpio for over 4-5 years now and the seating position is the best part as you have a birds eye view, having said that driving comfort is something I personally associate with those plush and cushy sedans, some with great suspension set ups
Old 13th October 2011, 23:12   #77
Senior - BHPian

I guess I am now authorised to lay down my experience on this one. I have a Ikon 1.6 nxt and have recently procured a Scorpio mHawk 4WD.

I recently concluded, in my scorpio mHawk, a 1942kms round trip through some of the worst road and traffic conditions I have faced in my limited driving experience of around 4Lakh Kms.

Around a couple of weeks back, I had taken a 1/3rd distance round trip on my Ikon 1.6 (which still runs fabulously). Partly through the same roads.

Hence I can provide a first person account of both experiences

On the Expressways, its a no-brainer, I would love to be on the Ikon and would love its top speed and agility while at it.

But on the absolutely broken roads that I encountered near Jharkhand, I fared much better in the Scorp. Mainly because of 2 things

1> The perched view allowed me to exactly judge the location and depth of potholes. It allows you to see over the rooftops of cars
2> The higher axle articulation and softer suspension kept everyone comfy.

Infact after completing the 690 km (13hour) return journey, I still had energy to drive my Uncle to the railway station through peak hour Kolkata traffic and after that attend a social gathering.Unthinkable with the Ikon, it almost felt like my age has actually reversed since last year, when I did the same return journey through a shorter route through better road conditions and did not have much energy left.

But what do I love to drive - well ofcourse - the car
Old 14th October 2011, 04:56   #78
BHPian

frankly speaking... I was seriously considering a top end city AT or a top end Vento diesel. but now after one test drive of the XUV and having a proper hands-on feel of the car... I am almost sold! it feels very upmarket and like a much more expensive car! interiors are just amazing! even fortuner doesn't come any close! and the rear seat legroom is almost like skoda superb!

also I feel this would be an ideal urban diesel SUV as its much better on road and plus it will be much better on our "so called" roads during the monsoon when you are usually forced to curse the Govt.
Old 14th October 2011, 09:24   #79
BHPian

There's another thing with ergonomics.
In an SUV, you sit more upright and foot pedals (especially the accelerator) needs pressing down. In case of a sedan or hatch it needs more of a "press away" kind of foot movement.

Hence, in case of an SUV, one can use the foot weight nicely (with the ankle anchored on the floor) and easily for a long hours of accelerator control. But in case of a "press away" mode, one has to spend more energy and muscle movement for this.

I have felt this in Safari vs Santro. The santro is automatics and the pedals are very very soft. At the same time, the Safari has tractor pedals which often need one to grind one's teeth while clutching. Still, the feet pain is about 80% less for a 16 hour drive and 50% less for a 30 minutes+ drive in the Safari vs the Santro.

In my experience, the feet ergonomics is the biggest differential in an SUV.
The view and bossing around factors also are important.
Old 14th October 2011, 12:42   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
In an SUV, you sit more upright and foot pedals (especially the accelerator) needs pressing down. In case of a sedan or hatch it needs more of a "press away" kind of foot movement.

Hence, in case of an SUV, one can use the foot weight nicely (with the ankle anchored on the floor) and easily for a long hours of accelerator control. But in case of a "press away" mode, one has to spend more energy and muscle movement for this.

I have felt this in Safari vs Santro. The santro is automatics and the pedals are very very soft. At the same time, the Safari has tractor pedals which often need one to grind one's teeth while clutching. Still, the feet pain is about 80% less for a 16 hour drive and 50% less for a 30 minutes+ drive in the Safari vs the Santro.

Other things apart, it is the last line (in bold) which seals it for the SUV
Old 14th October 2011, 18:56   #81
BHPian

There is a wrong notion in the minds of most of the Indians (exluding Team-BHPians) that bigger the vehicle the more luxurious it is. SUVs in the west are primarily to pull things like caravan or a small boat or a dirt bike or a goods cart. SUVs are basically designed to transport heavy goods as well as also travel without the heavy goods in rough tarrain. They were later developed also as SUVs for luxury purpose. Whether the SUV decreases driving fatigue depends on the personal experience and the brand of the SUV you are driving and also what one means by fatigue.
Old 14th October 2011, 22:44   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post

Pedal position is a tricky thing and it may not be just about whether the sitting position is upright or not. Even in an upright position, if the pedals are placed too close, the ankle can start paining. On the other hand, even with low seating with the legs stretched out, free ankle movement can be less straining.
BTW Santro is one car which is known to have awkwardly placed pedals (basically pedals too close to the body) no wonder it is causing more pain then a Safari. It also has upright seating then a low slung hatch/sedan
Old 16th October 2011, 07:01   #83
BHPian

Driving comfort to me means the ease with which you drive the car and the lack of fatigue after the drive.
For these factors, my ranking would be:

Sedans >MUVs> Hatches >SUVs.

The cars I have driven for >400km one way:

Sedan: Contessa Classic 1.8 GL
Modded Contessa Classic with 2.5 Litre Isuzu Diesel engine
Hyundai Sonata 3.0 v6
ANHC
Nissan Cedric 3.0 Diesel
Mercedes Benz (W 124) 300 D
Mercedes Benz (W 124) E 420

MUV : Toyota Innova D

Hatch : Suzuki Swift Lxi
Suzuki Swift Vdi
Hyundai Santro

SUV : Nissan Patrol
Mahindra Bolero
Mahindra Scorpio
Old 16th October 2011, 19:46   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
Driving comfort to me means the ease with which you drive the car and the lack of fatigue after the drive.
For these factors, my ranking would be:

Sedans >MUVs> Hatches >SUVs.
My personal experience is a little contrary to what you say here. I have done many long drives in an i10 over long distances on highways and bad roads. Prior to i10 I had an Alto.

Recently I procured a Scorpio mHawk and have done close to 6K Kms till date. I have done several jaunts of Ooty, Coorg, Hogenakkal and nearby riverside spots and national parks. I have crossed over expressways and broken roads and non-roads.

With the i10/Alto I felt slight fatigue after about 200 Km. With the Scorpio I have zero fatigue after even 300Km (including completely broken roads, twisty hilly terrain). I'd feel like I could do 200Km more.

However I really cannot attribute this to any particular cause or aspect. I just feel that way. I'd think that the same will hold true, more so in fact, for the Safari as well. Of course I have also ridden on an Innova under various conditions and it has a superior ride to both those hatches and the Scorpio. I can be on utterly twisty hill roads on an Innova the whole day and not throw up.
Old 16th October 2011, 20:07   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moinakg View Post
My personal experience is a little contrary to what you say here. I have done many long drives in an i10 over long distances on highways and bad roads. Prior to i10 I had an Alto.

Recently I procured a Scorpio mHawk and have done close to 6K Kms till date. I have done several jaunts of Ooty, Coorg, Hogenakkal and nearby riverside spots and national parks. I have crossed over expressways and broken roads and non-roads.

With the i10/Alto I felt slight fatigue after about 200 Km. With the Scorpio I have zero fatigue after even 300Km (including completely broken roads, twisty hilly terrain). I'd feel like I could do 200Km more.

However I really cannot attribute this to any particular cause or aspect. I just feel that way. I'd think that the same will hold true, more so in fact, for the Safari as well. Of course I have also ridden on an Innova under various conditions and it has a superior ride to both those hatches and the Scorpio. I can be on utterly twisty hill roads on an Innova the whole day and not throw up.
You are comparing a 4/5L hatch to a 10L SUV. Compare a scorpio to a 10L sedan like City/Vento and you will find out sedan will be much more comfortable than Scorpio except it you travel on pothole ridden roads.
Old 16th October 2011, 20:18   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
You are comparing a 4/5L hatch to a 10L SUV. Compare a scorpio to a 10L sedan like City/Vento and you will find out sedan will be much more comfortable than Scorpio except it you travel on pothole ridden roads.
Completely agree with you. My post should have been clearer on that. That's why I said slightly contrary. I have had past experience with Opel Corsa and Verna. I have done long trips on the Corsa including a Bangalore <-> Chennai, Mysore etc, when the current expressways did not exist.

A 10L sedan will be much more comfortable, no doubt about that. In fact the Corsa was comfortable even on bad roads, I think due to the gas-filled dampers.
Old 16th October 2011, 20:46   #87
BHPian

Look at this video. XUV5OO looks like as if it would be very comfortable both on smooth roads and on bad roads, and at all speed (read even 190kph)

Simply blows away the argument "sedans for highway, SUVs for bad roads".

Old 16th October 2011, 22:25   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Look at this video. XUV5OO looks like as if it would be very comfortable both on smooth roads and on bad roads, and at all speed (read even 190kph)

Simply blows away the argument "sedans for highway, SUVs for bad roads".
I think it is irresponsible to test a car at 180/190 on public roads. Fact that the presenter needs to pay attention to what he is talking makes t more dangerous for other road users (apart from the entire review crew in the XUV).
Old 17th October 2011, 00:46   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I think it is irresponsible to test a car at 180/190 on public roads. Fact that the presenter needs to pay attention to what he is talking makes t more dangerous for other road users (apart from the entire review crew in the XUV).
1. He has explained in a comment below the youtube video justifying his test at speed of 190kph.
2. Look at his video. He is driving with sufficient responsibility.
3. This exit of the tunnel at Mumbai Pune expressway is generally used for testing a car's top speed by companies/magazines in which the speed generally goes above 300kph.

Last edited by DevilsCry : 17th October 2011 at 00:55. Reason: addiing 3rd point
Old 17th October 2011, 03:42   #90
BHPian

To drive that fast or not is another question but the point is that he was able to do it and that too quite easily and that says a lot about the car. I doubt that any other car in that segment will be able to achieve that speed that easily. Let alone the SUV's and MUV's in that segment. High speed stability and handling looks pretty good. I doubt you can do that, that easily, in a innova or aria.

I remember the SA telling me that they easily touch 140 even on small test drives! I was a bit surprised by his claims then but now I think its quite possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks