Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2012, 14:59   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Nissan Micra Head On Crash with Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I was witness to this accident ( i.e. this accident happened ) on around 1st of Feb or 31st Jan. Dont remember the date as I am too tied down to work.
Great job my friend. These gestures do help in reaffirming the faith in humanity. Thanks for sharing!

On a side note, pretty impressed with the crash safety of the Micra. From the pictures, it looks like the impact was quite well absorbed, with minimum/no impact to the passenger shell.

Last edited by vb-saan : 20th February 2012 at 14:59. Reason: Attachments removed from the quoted part
Old 20th February 2012, 15:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

Good work Aaggoswami ! You've showed what needs to be done in situations like this ! Thanks ! Will you please put down what happened further on? I hope the guy recovered completely from the injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
1. I think there's a variant of Micra which doesn't have passenger side airbag. The passenger was lucky that he was not thrown out the car.
Yes, the one which I have. The base model (XE). I don't know the idea behind skimping on safety features. I would have been more happy had they given both airbags (best case scenario - 6-8 airbags), ABS and other safety features as standard on every variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
The car held up brilliantly - textbook instruction on crumple zones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
So the Micra turns out to be a real safe car. Im mighty impressed with the small car though, can't ask for more! These are real world conditions & the car just managed to save precious lives.
Yes, this is one safe car. But not wearing a seatbelt in a safe car will still kill you.
Old 20th February 2012, 15:28   #18
BHPian

@AAG

Hats off to you my friend for showing concern for people who needed help.

Your calm control of the situation helped the victims of the accident for sure.
Had they been left to their fate god alone knows what would have happened.
Old 20th February 2012, 15:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Great work aaggoswami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
An i20 came, stopped near micra and almost hitting a few villagers in process. A young person with black goggles emerged, and after surveying the situation, reversed his car and again he almost hit me, then sped off.
What was he trying to do ? Maybe he was the devil that came to finish the unfinished business ? What's wrong with these guys ?
Old 20th February 2012, 15:50   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
I suppose if the Micra had airbag then it must have had ABS too. This shows how ABS can save lives!
The Micra does not have ABS.

Its great to see that no one was seriously injured.

I make it a point that all occupants in my car wear their seatbelts. Even the rear seat occupants.
Its just too much of a risk not to wear one.

A lot of times, my friends and others laugh at me when i wear my seatbelt while sitting on the back seat.
Its just pathetic the attitude towards safety in India

Last edited by jalsa777 : 20th February 2012 at 15:52.
jalsa777 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 15:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

Great gesture from you aaggoswami!! Really appreciate it.
I don't know why people don't use their mind and blindly follow the car ahead. You can take cue's from the car ahead on when to slow down, by following the tail light of car ahead, but overtaking is a different maneoure altogether, you can't just blindly follow the car ahead and overtake without looking for oncoming traffic.
That's sad that people don't apply commonsense in such situations.
But Micra did a fine job of saving its occupants life.
Old 20th February 2012, 15:53   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Aaggoswami, you set an example for all of us. Bravo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
ABS could have easily saved this situation here!
I have my doubts, as this was clearly a case of poor driving judgement. In the midst of this unsuccessful overtaking manouveur, the Micra would have one truck in front of it (which he finally crashed into) and a vehicle to his left (who he was overtaking).

Where would he go, with the steering capability that an ABS would give him?
Old 20th February 2012, 16:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

Excellent work and presence of mind aagoswami Really appreciate your gesture.

Hope the occupants of Micra will be back with their regular lives soon and hope the driver will be more careful for the rest of his life.
Old 20th February 2012, 16:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

Aaggoswami, you are a true gentleman. You did the right thing in the right way, while being calm.

Such accidents are a high risks on single lanes highways, and happened regularly a decade ago when major highways were without divider.
The roads have improved now with growing per capita income, but unfortunately, people havent, like the I20 guy. The retard probably got down for sight seeing.
Old 20th February 2012, 16:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
But, just a question here, if the Driver & companion were not wearing seat belts, then why they did not hit the front windshield?
Looks like the companion did hit the windshield, as can be seen on the left hand side with the glass protruding out a bit and the cracks on it.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 16:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

Great example aaggoswami.

This is the precise reason, why one should not tail the vehicle infront while overtaking. During a Team-Bhp Lavasa drive a Bhpian who was tailing me this way missed an oncoming jeep very very narrowly. It is always better to loose a few seconds than be dead. And this habit comes by conscious practice.
Old 20th February 2012, 16:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I have my doubts, as this was clearly a case of poor driving judgement. In the midst of this unsuccessful overtaking manouveur, the Micra would have one truck in front of it (which he finally crashed into) and a vehicle to his left (who he was overtaking).

Where would he go, with the steering capability that an ABS would give him?
I agree, he had nowhere to go! But if the ABS would have saved him couple of metres on braking he would stopped right in front of the truck and not banged into it or even if he did he would have did so with very little damage.

Remember, he did brake hard smoking his tires and he ended inches away from truck breaking into the cabin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami
I could safely clear that and after coming into my lane again, just looked into my ORVM and Micra was in wrong lane ( read overtaking ) but smoke was coming from tyres. I realized that he is braking hard.
anachronix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 16:58   #28
Team-BHP Support

A'swamy,

That's a wonderful gesture. Rarely do people involve themselves, when injured folk require help. Some simply drive past and some stop and analyze the situation. And some just stand and stare. It's good to see that you were proactive. The country needs people like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
I agree, he had nowhere to go! But if the ABS would have saved him couple of metres on braking he would stopped right in front of the truck and not banged into it or even if he did he would have did so with very little damage.

Remember, he did brake hard smoking his tires and he ended inches away from truck breaking into the cabin!
I'm afraid ABS will not correct the wrong judgement made by any driver. It's only a driver aid that allows you to have control over the vehicle.

Who knows, ABS might have prevented the car from crashing. But we shouldn't depend on ABS to 'save-us'. Rather, we should stick to our limits and understand that highway driving is a different ball-game.

Following or tailing a car that is already in the process of overtaking is never a good idea. And I've learnt my lesson too. Thankfully, I had the presence of mind to brake and maintain distance between my car and the bus that was right ahead of me.
Old 20th February 2012, 17:02   #29
Senior - BHPian

ABS would have decreased the stopping distance only if the road was slippery in nature (because of either sand/water whatever), other then that on a normal non-slippery surface the stopping distance of a ABS enabled braking system and a normal system would be same.

Unless we know the road conditions, cannot conclusively say ABS would have helped or otherwise. BTW from the look of it on the photographs it does not look slippery, though i might be wrong.
Old 20th February 2012, 17:05   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
ABS would have decreased the stopping distance only if the road was slippery in nature (because of either sand/water whatever), other then that on a normal non-slippery surface the stopping distance of a ABS enabled braking system and a normal system would be same.

Unless we know the road conditions, cannot conclusively say ABS would have helped or otherwise. BTW from the look of it on the photographs it does not look slippery, though i might be wrong.
The tires would smoke all the rubber out on tarmaced or concrete roads only. Not on slippery roads

Most Viewed