Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2012, 21:42   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806

Impractical solution, imagine you are on a bumper to bumper traffic going uphill, which crawls for few meters and then stops again, throw in more problems like rains or muddy road and you see this solution does not scale. Best is to learn how to deal with the situation and use this as a stop gap arrangement till then.

BTW the handbrake solution is simplest to master and easiest to execute, so you really do not need this gymnastics .

Shouldn't do this for minutes, max a few seconds (maybe 5 seconds tops), only when starting from standstill. Have been doing this for last 7 years in my Baleno and the clutch plate lasted 6 years and 62K Kms. BTW he is right if you overdo this .
Cool, thanks both. No, I probably do it for some seconds, maybe once a day. So my clutch should be safe.
Old 28th March 2012, 23:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hill Climb Technique - For Cars (Front Wheel Drive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
The techniques mentioned above are good and useful till one day you encounter an incline which a FWD cannot scale no matter what you do . Sorry for being pessimistic, but I could not help saying this. All my life I have driven FWD cars and went to the hills of Sikkim and North Bengal. But I had taken an oath to buy an RWD just for the reason mentioned in this thread. I was bored of torturing the FWD cars on those steep inclines.
Even RWD cars suffer in such situations especially if the incline is steep.
On the scorpio,i have managed to come out such situations but not without some wheelspins,and now that you have the MDI 4X4 Bolero LX,it should be pretty easy for you,Slot 4L and just release the clutch
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 01:18   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Car: Optra 1.8 Litre Petrol
Terrain: Steep incline (not visible in photos) with gravel and loose sand
Altitude: Around 10,000 ft
Load: 2 + 1 passengers & luggage in the boot.

Attachment 908425
Is this en-route Spiti valley? What was the route taken?
Old 29th March 2012, 01:34   #19
BHPian

This is something I loved in the Yeti. Maybe shankar.balan sir can comment. The Yeti doesn't roll down on steep inclines for about 3 seconds after disengaging clutch. This allows sufficient time to relax and press down the accelerator without even an inch of unnecessary roll-down.
Old 29th March 2012, 01:37   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
put a stone or piece a of wood (what ever you find) behind the rear wheels and then try moving the vehicle?
Would probably work for you but what about the stones or pieces of wood you would leave behind? Can be a safety hazard for motorists using the same road after you.
swarooppatil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 23:27   #21
BHPian

Can anyone comment on how to move a car without a handbrake without rolling backwards? I am facing this problem in lights where there is a slope. The car in question is a 1966 Fiat 1100D.
Old 20th January 2014, 23:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

wedge stone or brick behind rear tyre...
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2014, 08:16   #23
BHPian

According to UBS Sir, if it gets really difficult for a front wheel drive, then all you have to do is reverse the car and then attempt the incline. It's almost sure to work because of the weight of the engine acting down on the driving wheels thus greatly improving traction.
Sandman689 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2014, 12:23   #24
BANNED

Well two methods :
1.Reverse and then rev a little hard and then try the incline (as stated above).

2. Try to rev hard and then lift the clutch. If the surface isn't slippery and your tyres are good enough then the car should climb away.

Why don't you want to use the handbrake ?
That's the best way.
Old 26th January 2014, 12:34   #25
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
This is something I loved in the Yeti. Maybe shankar.balan sir can comment. The Yeti doesn't roll down on steep inclines for about 3 seconds after disengaging clutch. This allows sufficient time to relax and press down the accelerator without even an inch of unnecessary roll-down.

Yup. This is the hill hold control working for you. The Braking system of the car works with the computer to ensure that the car does not roll back while on an incline for around 3 seconds or so, which is ample time to engage the clutch, slot the car in first gear, release the handbrake and simultaneously let in the clutch and accelerate away. This is a hugely useful feature indeed.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2014, 13:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

Just came back yesterday from Ooty using the Masinigudi route. While going up, I faced a similar problem with a car in front of me coming to a stand still in the middle of a hairpin bend and stalling. However, even with the under powered Omni which I was driving in, was able to engage 1st gear (with hand brake applied and released) and easily move up and around him without slipping back or stalling. Was this because the Omni is rear wheel driven ? I have had difficulties in similar situations in my Esteem although that has more power and torque.
Old 26th January 2014, 16:03   #27
BHPian

For getting DL in Oman, I had to attend driving classes (compulsory classes).

There are separate classes like
1) Drum test (reversing between two rows of drums)
2) Slope test (climbing steep inclines from standstill without going backwards or wheel spins)
3) and of course road test.

The technique taught by my instructor for steep incline was like this-
If you have stopped at the beginning of an incline, then engage hand-brake, slot in first gear, gently press the accelerator and release the clutch without releasing the hand brake.

In a few secs, you will feel that the car is trying to move forward, at this moment, gently release the hand-brake, continuing to drive normal and the car will move forward WITHOUT wheel spin and without going back.
It works fine for me.

Last edited by arunu : 26th January 2014 at 16:06.
arunu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2014, 21:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

For those whose handbrakes dont work that well :
Slot into first gear. Turn off ignition. Release clutch. Get out of car. Find small brick/ stone. Wedge behind rear tyre. Get back into car and drive away normally.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2014, 21:53   #29
BANNED

If it is a very steep incline there are various techniques such as heel and toe, handbrake technique etc. However the least stress on the car and driver (read clutch, brakes, etc) and the safest and easiest way of getting back would be to get out of the car find a stone and put it behind the rear wheel. This would make it just the same as starting off as if you were on level ground. Incline or no incline!
Old 26th January 2014, 22:21   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
If it is a very steep incline there are various techniques such as heel and toe, handbrake technique etc. However the least stress on the car and driver (read clutch, brakes, etc) and the safest and easiest way of getting back would be to get out of the car find a stone and put it behind the rear wheel. This would make it just the same as starting off as if you were on level ground. Incline or no incline!
I have only one question to people who are suggesting to keep a stone behind the rear wheal, who will clear all those stones from the road?
mroptimist is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks